I Learned Something Today

Latest News & Videos

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
Elephants can paint! (Unless it's fake?) My brother could seriously learn a thing or two from this elephant.

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
There's no way the elephant drew that; sorry.

I was disappointed to learn today "Hazy Shade of Winter" isn't a Bangles original. The song was originally sung by Paul Simon. I hope I don't learn next that "Walk Like An Egyptian" was originally by The Carpenters.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
You are right:
With each mark, the mahout tugs at his elephant's ear. He nudges it up and down to get the animal to make a vertical line, or pulls it sideways to get a horizontal one. To encourage spots and blobs he tugs the ear forward, towards the canvas. So, very sadly, the design the elephant is making is not hers but his.
There is no elephantine invention, no creativity, just slavish copying.

Investigating further, after the show is over, it emerges that each of the socalled artistic animals always produces exactly the same image, time after time, day after day, and week after week. Mook always paints a bunch of flowers, Christmas always does a tree, and Pimtong a climbing plant. Each elephant works to a set routine, guided by her master.

Erased Paper

Jan 17, 2005
In the refuge
washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/tv/1991/09/01/phill-lewis/77d2b04b-4272-44d0-9b22-000192fdc2bd/

I just found this old article about Phill Lewis. Unfortunately, the show "Teech" was cancelled after four weeks and has fallen into complete obscurity. I've never seen it. :(

pacman000

Jun 5, 2017
TVRage, which provided episode summaries for epguides.com after TVTome was bought out,, has gone offline & the domain's for sale.

epguides has replaced them with TVMaze.

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
Dec 4, 2015
SO MUCH PAIN

I was disappointed to learn today "Hazy Shade of Winter" isn't a Bangles original. The song was originally sung by Paul Simon. I hope I don't learn next that "Walk Like An Egyptian" was originally by The Carpenters.
You'll be happy to know that "Egyptian" was not a Carpenters song. It was offered to Toni Basil, who rejected it. Bangles still didn't write it, but still.
In other news, TIL that the actor of Steve Brule did an AMA five years ago to promote a new season.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
Last Sunday, people dressed up as Jews (or perhaps actual Jews) robbed a bank in Antwerp by making a tunnel into the sewers, and then making another tunnel right into the bank. Antwerp is known in Europe for its Jewish population. They are all very rich and sell diamonds. The safes that got robbed were probably filled with diamonds. It is unknown how much got stolen. The bank doesn't know what the safe owners had stored there.

It took them 2 to 3 months to make those two tunnels.

"huis" is Dutch for "house", "straat" means "street".

pacman000

Jun 5, 2017
The theme song from Dragonheart & Tears After the Cloudy Weather from Pokemon sound really similar:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
Wow, this makes so much sense now. Belgium is like somewhere between the USA and Germany on this subject.

Oh, and look. A gigantic bacteria: Thiomargarita namibiensis. It can be 0.3 mm long.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Sep 3, 2006
Kansas
nachosconcarne.com
Movie critic Leonard Maltin holds the Guinness World Record for shortest movie review for his take on the 1948 musical Isn't It Romantic.

His review of the film, in its entirety, word-for-word:

"No."

ToonJay723

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
New York
I learned that Steven Spielberg gets royalties from the DreamWorks shows on Netflix and gave story notes to How to Train Your Dragon 3.