I Learned Something Today

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Today I learned that one of Jason's victims in Friday the 13th Part VIII not only survived, but went on to become Shenhua and Light Yagami's mother.

rockmonster

THIS MIGHT BE GROSS. PLEASE READ WITH CAUTION.

AC/DC frontman Brian Johnson was chosen to be a replacement for the late Bon Scott because they recalled the latter raving about the former's wild performance with another band. The performance was actually poor Mr. Johnson in pain from appedicitis.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Today I learned movies about giant bugs or spiders are impossible. There is a natural limit to how big insects or arachnids can get, because they don't have lungs -- they have different ways of breathing, and these ways would be insufficient past a certain size and they'd suffocate.

So why are there fossil imprints of giant bugs? Because back then, the air contained a higher concentration of oxygen.

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
Today I learned movies about giant bugs or spiders are impossible. There is a natural limit to how big insects or arachnids can get, because they don't have lungs -- they have different ways of breathing, and these ways would be insufficient past a certain size and they'd suffocate.

So why are there fossil imprints of giant bugs? Because back then, the air contained a higher concentration of oxygen.

I knew this ever since high school, when one of my science teachers told my class this.

Dsneybuf

I learned that the company that makes Flintstones Vitamins didn't make any shaped like Betty Rubble until after the live-action Flintstones movie. Apparently, Rosie O'Donnell called attention to her character's absence from the vitamin bottle, so the company held a poll asking whether or not they should add her, and 91% answered yes.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Histeria lied to me!

vv3xq6cm46gejh9hxnug.png

No matter how educated you think you are, there is at least one thing on this sheet you believed until now.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Today I learned there is apparently NOT a website to look up exactly when movie trailers debuted and what movies they debuted in front of. There really should be.

I wanted to know when the Alien 3 teaser first ran. Given how it advertises the plot incorrectly I thought it had to be summer of 1991 at the latest. I thought it debuted in front of Terminator 2. That would have been amazing, right?

Well, the only info I can gather is from YouTube comments. Most of them point to a November 1991 debut, which makes no sense. There's another teaser after this one on the Blu-ray which has actual movie footage and a 1991 copyright date. Which means there wouldn't have been much time between the first teaser and that one, so they had to have known the final plot by the time that teaser was released. What gives?

Worse yet, most of them say it premiered in front of "Hook." I hope not.

Dsneybuf

This week, I learned one of my all-time favorite directors, Billy Wilder (Sunset Boulevard, The Apartment, Some Like it Hot), had an older brother, W. Lee Wilder, who also became a director, but evidently didn't have as much success or acclaim.

Dsneybuf

I've spent these past few nights trying to revisit all of the Hayao Miyazaki-directed movies in Studio Ghibli's library, and I found out tonight which of Ghibli's pictures became the first one to premiere with Totoro at the beginning-Isao Takahata's Only Yesterday, released three years after My Neighbor Totoro.
Unfortunately, I've only seen one Takahata-directed movie as of this writing-My Neighbors the Yamadas, which actually proved more entertaining than its disjointed format and overly-simple art style (by Ghibli standards) made me expect.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Today I learned that a Sesame Street song from my childhood was warning me not to talk about a certain Civil War campaign (at around the 1:53 mark):

[video=youtube;hVcZ7cDggeE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVcZ7cDggeE&list=PL49ECEB5EC21EFAAD[/video]

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member

Dsneybuf

Marc Brown even re-released some of the old books with the covers redrawn to make Arthur match how he looks now. The pictures inside still looked the same, though.

Aquadementia

That's a lot of Mulaney!
Staff member
I never knew that Arthur's design was so radically different in the beginning.

View attachment 7141

Ha! I can't tell what he is.
The first one is really aardvarky. The middle one is the most cartoony but he's starting to look like a... camel?

But If you think that's bad, wanna see something really scary?
MATTDAMONCARTOON_SPLASH.jpg

Matt Damon, as seen on Arthur.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Ha! I can't tell what he is.
The first one is really aardvarky. The middle one is the most cartoony but he's starting to look like a... camel?

But If you think that's bad, wanna see something really scary?
* SPOILER *

Yeah, I noticed when Neil Gaiman was on, that the designs for real guest stars really freaked me out.

Dsneybuf

The Arthur Wiki shows the original and revised covers of some of the books:
Arthur Adventure - Arthur Wiki
This marked my first time finding the original cover of Arthur and the True Francine, and I must admit that it looks even creepier than I expected.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts