I Learned Something Today

Latest News & Videos

Sep 4, 2014
Ratings
IA
THIS MIGHT BE GROSS. PLEASE READ WITH CAUTION.

AC/DC frontman Brian Johnson was chosen to be a replacement for the late Bon Scott because they recalled the latter raving about the former's wild performance with another band. The performance was actually poor Mr. Johnson in pain from appedicitis.

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Ratings
797 6
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
Today I learned movies about giant bugs or spiders are impossible. There is a natural limit to how big insects or arachnids can get, because they don't have lungs -- they have different ways of breathing, and these ways would be insufficient past a certain size and they'd suffocate.

So why are there fossil imprints of giant bugs? Because back then, the air contained a higher concentration of oxygen.

Dantheman

Dec 1, 2005
Ratings
Michigan USA
Today I learned movies about giant bugs or spiders are impossible. There is a natural limit to how big insects or arachnids can get, because they don't have lungs -- they have different ways of breathing, and these ways would be insufficient past a certain size and they'd suffocate.

So why are there fossil imprints of giant bugs? Because back then, the air contained a higher concentration of oxygen.
I knew this ever since high school, when one of my science teachers told my class this.

Dsneybuf

Sep 22, 2011
Ratings
www.youtube.com
I learned that the company that makes Flintstones Vitamins didn't make any shaped like Betty Rubble until after the live-action Flintstones movie. Apparently, Rosie O'Donnell called attention to her character's absence from the vitamin bottle, so the company held a poll asking whether or not they should add her, and 91% answered yes.

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Ratings
797 6
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
Today I learned there is apparently NOT a website to look up exactly when movie trailers debuted and what movies they debuted in front of. There really should be.

I wanted to know when the Alien 3 teaser first ran. Given how it advertises the plot incorrectly I thought it had to be summer of 1991 at the latest. I thought it debuted in front of Terminator 2. That would have been amazing, right?

Well, the only info I can gather is from YouTube comments. Most of them point to a November 1991 debut, which makes no sense. There's another teaser after this one on the Blu-ray which has actual movie footage and a 1991 copyright date. Which means there wouldn't have been much time between the first teaser and that one, so they had to have known the final plot by the time that teaser was released. What gives?

Worse yet, most of them say it premiered in front of "Hook." I hope not.

Dsneybuf

Sep 22, 2011
Ratings
www.youtube.com
This week, I learned one of my all-time favorite directors, Billy Wilder (Sunset Boulevard, The Apartment, Some Like it Hot), had an older brother, W. Lee Wilder, who also became a director, but evidently didn't have as much success or acclaim.

Dsneybuf

Sep 22, 2011
Ratings
www.youtube.com
I've spent these past few nights trying to revisit all of the Hayao Miyazaki-directed movies in Studio Ghibli's library, and I found out tonight which of Ghibli's pictures became the first one to premiere with Totoro at the beginning-Isao Takahata's Only Yesterday, released three years after My Neighbor Totoro.
Unfortunately, I've only seen one Takahata-directed movie as of this writing-My Neighbors the Yamadas, which actually proved more entertaining than its disjointed format and overly-simple art style (by Ghibli standards) made me expect.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,516 4
177A Bleecker Street

Aquadementia

That's a lot of Mulaney!
Staff member
Feb 26, 2004
Ratings
Bar Stool Of Solitude
I never knew that Arthur's design was so radically different in the beginning.

View attachment 7141
Ha! I can't tell what he is.
The first one is really aardvarky. The middle one is the most cartoony but he's starting to look like a... camel?

But If you think that's bad, wanna see something really scary?

Matt Damon, as seen on Arthur.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,516 4
177A Bleecker Street
Ha! I can't tell what he is.
The first one is really aardvarky. The middle one is the most cartoony but he's starting to look like a... camel?

But If you think that's bad, wanna see something really scary?
* SPOILER *
Yeah, I noticed when Neil Gaiman was on, that the designs for real guest stars really freaked me out.