I Learned Something Today

Dsneybuf

Tonight, I found out Imagine Dragons frontman Dan Reynolds had his own YouTube channel in addition to the two for the band. He hasn't added anything new to it in years, but what I've seen from it (Reynolds singing some folksy songs with his wife, Aja Volkman) proved amusing.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Occasionally I'll make a drawing on my dA page of the Simpsons if they were drawn by another artist. One time I did them a la Evan Dorkin:
dorkin_simpsons_by_torquesmacky-d68adir.png

But, as I learned today, Dorkin HAS been officially hired to draw the Simpsons more than once....and, disappointingly, he was pretty on-model with them.

Evan%2BDorkin%2Bsample%2B5.jpg

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Today I learned the computer program that created Lisa in Weird Science was running off Applesoft BASIC.

weirdscienceapple.jpg

HOME, HTAB, and VTAB were all exclusive to the Apple version of BASIC. I guess I have a ROM to hunt down.....

Chris

I am a DuMont production.
I learned that Mystery Science Theater 3000 is on every Saturday night at 8pm on Retro TV (channel 27.1) So if anyone wants to see it, tune in!

Vance M.

Vance M.
I learned that Mystery Science Theater 3000 is on every Saturday night at 8pm on Retro TV (channel 27.1) So if anyone wants to see it, tune in!

AUUUGH. I wish RTV came back to my area. I remember when Retro TV was on some crappy TV station called WTZT-TV and showed "most" of their programing. They did not showed the E/I shows on weekdays nor the cartoons on Saturdays, instead showed the E/I shows on Saturdays. They also did not show 6pm or 9PM (Central time) programing, instead showed a "news" show called Cooper and Company (but a better fare on Mondays, showed Country Rover Presents, A programing showing news clips from WAAY-31 starring "The Country Rover"). They switched to COZI-TV last year and well, I wish RTV came back. They even have The Lucy Shoe for crying out loud.

Dsneybuf

I learned earlier this week that one of the leads of Guardians of the Galaxy, Dave Bautista, had Filipino and Greek parents. Between him, Zoe Saldana, and Vin Diesel, I now hope that if the movie becomes a success, it will seem like a victory not only for adaptations of obscure Marvel comics, but for more diverse casting in Marvel pictures. The prosthetics and motion capture might lessen the enjoyment of seeing Marvel heroes of color for me, but only slightly-Marvel could just as well have cast white actors as the aliens.
(Yes, I know that a white actor has top billing, but that feels more like an attempt to stay true to the comics, than an attempt to put down actors of minority. Plus, my love for The Lego Movie makes it hard for me to hate Chris Pratt.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
Today, I learned from Mental Floss that in 1986 Apple Computers put out a clothing catalog featuring '80s-tastic fashions adorned with the word "APPLE" and the Apple logo.

Man, they were really lost between the time when Steve Jobs was fired and he came back.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
I always wondered what that autodialing noise that you heard on cable TV in the 80's and 90's was all about. Today I bothered to Google it:

In-band signaling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What you hear is a tone alert inserted by the originating source to tell the videocasting system at local cable ops or production studios when to switch into a commercial break mode. The sequence sounds like a dialing on touch tone telephone.

The tones do not always occur directly with a commercial break, but can be announced well before due to timing issues.

RTV actually still uses it for some reason; I heard it during MST3K.

Kung-Fu Yoshi

I don't get RTV. I have Cablevision. I guess I would like the show. I saw the movie on TV.

I went to my mom's friend's house recently. No RTV either, but there was GetTV on one of the Spanish stations.

Anyway -- I read that FXX, once after they show the big Simpsons marathon -- will air the syndication versions of the episodes. Currently they're showing the unedited versions. But they'll show the originals sometimes.

Alex Sarosi

Anyway -- I read that FXX, once after they show the big Simpsons marathon -- will air the syndication versions of the episodes. Currently they're showing the unedited versions. But they'll show the originals sometimes.
Why? The syndication versions are mainly edited for time and remove quite a bit of the intro, and doesn't keep the couch gag that the episode came with. I guess FXX doesn't have the copies Fox has?

Dsneybuf

I learned that the picture of Hannah Montana at Disneyland's gallery of famous Americans (located at the exit of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln) stayed up long after the cancelation of Hannah Montana, and only recently did Disney replace her with someone else-Richard and Robert Sherman, composers of Mary Poppins, The Jungle Book, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and various other Disney movies and songs from the 1960s and early '70s.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
I learned Mark Hamill's voice acting career predates his role in Star Wars. He played the teen in the Jeannie cartoon in 1973.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
I've learned that the Super Smash Bros. fandom is downright rabid.

Seriously, go to any forum with a video game subcategory. They're all waiting with baited breath for the inevitable leaks that will happen before the game is even out in Japan. They're taking BETS on it at NeoGaf.

I know gamers are enthusiastic, but this is the most hype I've ever seen for a single game.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
I learned in the final Pokemon episode Maddie Blaustein dubbed, which was also the final one she did before she died, Meowth said he was "Blaustein off" instead of "Blasting off."

Dsneybuf

I discovered Corinne Bohrer has done at least two Wendy's commercials, portraying the mother of the current spokesgirl. I've seen one of them on TV a few times, but didn't pay enough attention to notice her.
Incidentally, the spokesgirl, Morgan Smith Goodwin, shares a last name with our beloved Winnie.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
"Morgan Smith Goodwin." That'd be a good name for Winnie's mother. Also I don't remember a Wendy's ad where the woman has a mother.

Today I met Jim Mahfood, and the first thing I asked him was why the word "food" was in his name. He knew exactly why: because when his ancestors immigrated, their original surname was something with a lot of letters that was pronounced "Mah-fooz," and as what happened with a lot of other foreign names, the guy writing the certificate misheard it.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Today I learned the Tootsie Roll ad was originally one minute long, and they cut a lot of lines out of it by the time I first saw it.

[video=youtube;pvFzOgK-V9E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pvFzOgK-V9E[/video]

Also, they still run it, but it's down to 15 seconds and just the owl.

Dsneybuf

I remember that the Tootsie Roll company tried to remake that commercial in CGI, with a robot and a dragon replacing all the animals, but that version only lasted a year (at most) until they went back to using Mr. Owl.

Anyway, tonight I learned that Deadpool made his TV debut in a brief, silent cameo in X-Men: The Animated Series episode #4 "Deadly Reunions", which predates his first solo comic (the miniseries The Circle Chase) by about seven months.
(Yes, I know that Deadpool appeared in some other Marvel comics before The Circle Chase, but I didn't expect him to also appear in a children's cartoon before that.)

Tearehannah

Today I learned that Josh Peck voice acted in Robot Jones. I also learnt about the coolest remix, it's David Bowie vs. deadmau5. I'll put it below for anyone who is interested. [video=youtube;rQ1MIuP9DHU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ1MIuP9DHU&list=FLtWXUXucvhtjrV0VEJITKmw&index=4[/video]

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts