I Learned Something Today

Latest News & Videos

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
Dec 4, 2015
Ratings
SO MUCH PAIN
I also learned fairly recently that Ron Howard based his kids' middle names on the location they were conceived. For example, Bryce Dallas Howard was so named because she was conceived in Dallas, and two of his other kids have "Carlyle" as their middle names because they were both conceived at the Carlyle Hotel.

Dsneybuf

Sep 22, 2011
Ratings
www.youtube.com
I learned that "Thunder" received a Grammy nomination for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, even though it sounds terrible even by Imagine Dragons standards (speaking as someone who actually does love their music most of the time).:sad:

Last edited:

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Ratings
789 6
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
I learned that "Thunder" received a Grammy nomination for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, even though it sounds terrible even by Imagine Dragons standards (speaking as someone who actually does love their music most of the time).:sad:
Natch -- Grammys are a popularity contest, just like most music awards shows are. To be fair and just, they would have to listen to every single song written in the last twelve months. No one's got time for that, so they stick to the most popular ones.

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
Dec 4, 2015
Ratings
SO MUCH PAIN
Natch -- Grammys are a popularity contest, just like most music awards shows are. To be fair and just, they would have to listen to every single song written in the last twelve months. No one's got time for that, so they stick to the most popular ones.
That said I'm half-hoping for Redbone to win if only because of all those "What Redbone would sound like if..." videos and that it might push Donald Glover a bit closer to that coveted EGOT status. (That and it's a really kickin' song.)
I remember having posted here about Beyonce submitting one of her songs for Best Country Song last year, but it was rejected even though she had another song submitted for Best Rock Song (that one DID get through but it lost to Bowie).

Dsneybuf

Sep 22, 2011
Ratings
www.youtube.com
Anyway, even if "Thunder" somehow wins that Grammy, I hope it doesn't ruin future music historians' chances of realizing that it doesn't really provide a good demonstration of ID at their personal best. (Sticking only to songs they released in the year 2017, "Walking the Wire", "Whatever It Takes", and "Mouth of the River" became my favorites from them, although Evolve as a whole doesn't sound like their best album.)

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Ratings
789 6
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
I just learned that there's a form of kryptonite (pink krpytonite, to be exact) that can make Superman gay. Kryptonite apparently comes in a ton of different forms and they're all insane.
Wait, Pink Kryptonite is canon? I heard about it years ago and thought someone was just making a joke. We have a loophole for the fan-demanded Kara/Lena episode.

Dsneybuf

Sep 22, 2011
Ratings
www.youtube.com
Weird that they nominated the second-most popular Imagine Dragons song of 2017 over their first-most popular, then (going by Billboard Year-End 100). Sure, "Believer" might've kept playing in places where it didn't belong (Riverdale, Murder on the Orient Express), but I can't understand how that suddenly makes "Thunder" a good song.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Guys I posted photos of my ideal schedules for NickGAS and TeenNick.
If the politics thread was still open, I would agree with Wonderfly. The Electoral College is the only reason Iowa and Missouri have any relevance in national politics.
Oh, crap. I'm a mess right now. Something in the Politics thread triggered me big time and I'm having flashbacks and bad thoughts. I hope the thread is closed. It's bringing out the worst in otherwise decent people.