I feel like cartoons as a whole were better back when I was in kindergarten

HunterMon17

I was in kindergarten from August 1, 2007 until June 5, 2008. There was just so much more of a variety in the cartoons that were airing on TV back then. Nowadays it just seems like the same old shows are being repeated over and over, and there's not as much cartoons as there was back then. Many of the individual series airing today are definitely better than some of the best ones from back then, but the cartoon lineup on live TV as a whole was a lot better.

I used to watch a TV with an analog cable hookup in my bedroom with only PBS Kids, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, and Cartoon Network, and those were definitely enough to get me by. Over in the parlor we had a TV with a digital cable box, and I got Toon Disney and Noggin on top of that.
Here are some old TV schedules from that time to show you what I mean.
Notes:
  • * means the schedule was two hours early in my time zone (i.e. 2:00pm on the schedule would be 12:00pm for me).
  • ^ means the schedule was five hours early (i.e. 12:30pm on the schedule would be 7:30am for me)
How do you feel about the state of cartoons today, and how does it compare to back then?

RainbowCupcake

I sawed this boat in half!
Everyone is nostalgic for something. The people who grew up in the 90s are nostalgic for their shows, the people who grew up in the 2000s are nostalgic for their shows, and so on. I don't think one time period is necessarily better than the others. There will always be good and bad shows at any given time. You are probably looking into the past with rose colored glasses, which is why those old shows seem the most appealing to you.

Dr.Pepper

I can agree that there was more variety in tv schedules, but that was before streaming became common. I do not agree that the shows themselves were better. Not saying that they were bad, but I honestly think that cartoons are better on the whole today. I was a senior in high school when you were in kindergarten, and pretty much Phineas and Ferb, Chowder, and Avatar: the Last Airbender were the only shows I head people praise regularly on sites like these.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
It's a generational thing. My kindergarten years were in the early 2000s and my generation claims to have a in offer. But then again, anyone born in a certain year has its own opinion.

MegasMilo379

Finally.
These nostalgia threads like this one are just like those comment(ator)s on YouTube squealing about TV shows, movies, movies and ads they grew up with - and call TV, ads, music and film) today crap: pointless and irrelevant self-fulfilling trips down memory lane. While those shows are (mostly) great and the point is somewhat valid; but there were crap shows, records and movies then too, and great shows, songs and movies today too.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Proudly said it before, proudly saying it again...

I don't like nostalgia.

Nostalgia is such a disease.

Living in the past sucks and only harms you after awhile.

I know all these things and more from experience.

OP..... I hate to be that guy, but someday, you're gonna get over it. Don't know how nor why, but you will. You'll have to just to function that little bit better IRL, unfortunately.

Dr.Pepper

I don't like nostalgia.

OP..... I hate to be that guy, but someday, you're gonna get over it. Don't know how nor why, but you will. You'll have to just to function that little bit better IRL, unfortunately.
I love nostalgia but I do not let it blind me.

creator

I don't like nostalgia.

Nostalgia has had a positive impact on my life. It's so enjoyable to return to shows, movies, and games from my youth. I feel like it has made me a happier person. Obviously I don't want to belittle your experience, but I wanted to provide a positive counterexample.

@HunterMon17, many other members have commented on why you might think shows were better in one era vs another. Another interesting thing that happens as we get older is that our tastes change. Perhaps in a few years you'll look back on shows from 2020 and realize they're not that bad! It has happened to me with many shows.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
I love nostalgia but I do not let it blind me.

That's means you're in good shape at the very least, in terms of what I'm hearing.

Nostalgia has had a positive impact on my life. It's so enjoyable to return to shows, movies, and games from my youth. I feel like it has made me a happier person. Obviously I don't want to belittle your experience, but I wanted to provide a positive counterexample.

Well, you did. Thank you for that.
Being fair enough, however, it's not like there isn't shows from the past I enjoy revisiting or rerunning, myself.

What I'm boldly stating? I'm just used to new experiences in this area of my life, hence why I, and only I myself (as that's all whom I can ever speak for) tend to look down on nostalgia, unfortunately, as a result of always looking forward to new experiences with cartoons/various other media.

TheJLeeTeam

Slacker Musketeer
Look I have bias to certain generations of gaming systems such as Snes, PS2, and DS but most games I enjoy came from those systems but I don’t bash modern gaming.

As for cartoons being born in I was born in ‘97 but I have favorite shows from many eras and but there are some I wish I never grew up with such as Caillou, Rocket Power, or Jay Jay the Creep Plane, and there are a good number of cartoons I wish I grew up with including Harvey Beaks which came out at the end of my senior high school year, several Disney shows like Gravity Falls, BCG, and Amphibia, and Moomin a classic European character that really never existed in the US. There are many great things in foreign countries that don’t get released in America.

Dudley

Staff member
I can’t help but laugh at how cliche this topic is.
Literally everyone thinks shows were better back in the day. I have a family member who thinks cartoons from the 70’s were better than anything that came afterward.
It’s nothing new, and it’s just one’s opinion.

Honestly I feel 90’s were better in terms of output, where you had cartoons being made for syndication, Saturday mornings, AND cable.
The output is only matched, or OUTmatched today, thanks to all the streaming platforms out now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How to Make Money as a Kid 2

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

CNC
Here's another weekly ideal CN schedule I made, for next week. No longer a "snooze button" all week long.

"There's no such thing as a perfect episode."

[Rewatches Bunny Raven]

"Nevermind."
Joachim Horseley, who did the music for Batman: Soul Of The Dragon, also does the music for Big City Greens.
my bad news: my laptop backspace key is not working... rest other keys in keyboard work fine

Still wish for keyboard backspace to be fixed..
I asked a basic yes or no question about Star Vs. Months ago, and these are the responses I get. Slander.

Featured Posts