"Hulk Versus" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment the "Hulk Versus" Feature

• Total voters

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
It's absolutely ridiculous to me if you can't tell an animated story with Wolverine using his claws for what he uses them for.

He's going to cut and slice things and sometimes those things are STILL ALIVE.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
The one bit of violence in Hulk vs Wolverine that really caught me off guard was when the Hulk dismembered Deathstrike, which felt pretty reminiscent of the Rock Demon/Ninja Clan fight from the beginning of Ninja Scroll. That was pretty brutal imo. Not that I'm complaining, it's just not that often that I see this version of Ol' Jade Jaws get down like that.

In retrospect, it is a bit of a shame that they didn't really take the opportunity to show a really good, no holds barred Wolverine/Sabretooth fight, which is something I haven't seen in the cartoons or even the movies so far (the 92 series came the closest imho). Anyways this is Hulk Vs Wolverine, and not Wolverine Vs Sabretooth. The upcoming live-action flick looks like it should at least have some promising face-off's.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Hulk's done some pretty brutal stuff in the comics though. I think what was shocking was that you are seeing an animated Hulk do it.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Yeah, I was thinking about this earlier when I remembered seeing Hulk do the same thing to Rockslide in World War Hulk: X-Men last year. It's a lot different to see something in still panels than to see it put in motion. Honestly, I don't really keep up with Hulk in the comics too much nowadays so I probably missed seeing alot of that .

Last edited by a moderator:

Bat-Fan Beyond

The one bit of violence in Hulk vs Wolverine that really caught me off guard was when the Hulk dismembered Deathstrike, which felt pretty reminiscent of the Rock Demon/Ninja Clan fight from the beginning of Ninja Scroll. That was pretty brutal imo. Not that I'm complaining, it's just not that often that I see this version of Ol' Jade Jaws get down like that.

Yeah, but her arms are cybernetic attachments anyway, so it kinda makes it a little less gruesome. :D

JeffBreakdown

Yeah, but her arms are cybernetic attachments anyway, so it kinda makes it a little less gruesome. :D

EXACTLY! If it were real arms with real blood, they might not have been able to do it. If the blood is red, the rating goes up. Why do you think that scene in Kill Bill was black and white? Because they wanted it to not be rated NC-17. Same thing with AVP, the blood is green, the rating stays lower.

And also, watch Turok: Son of Stone...great movie, pretty violent. They went the Unrated route, though.

Bat-Fan Beyond

EXACTLY! If it were real arms with real blood, they might not have been able to do it. If the blood is red, the rating goes up. Why do you think that scene in Kill Bill was black and white? Because they wanted it to not be rated NC-17. Same thing with AVP, the blood is green, the rating stays lower.

Yeah, but there was still plenty of red blood in Hulk Vs. Wolverine just between the main two characters.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Wolverine did cut off Deadpool's arm in like two chunks.

Unsanitized Marvel superhero animation = goodness.

My only regret is we can't see primetime animated shows like this. I long for something like Invasion America to happen again.

redlion

Marvel's best DTV yet.
Hulk vs. Wolverine. Off the Chain! BRUTAL! BLOODY!! and totally Bad Ass!!
Favorite scene: Wolverine in the darkened corridor as he charges the guards and proceeds to totally rip them to shreds!
Deadpool: Steals the show. Fooking hilarious!

Hulk vs. Thor. I actually liked it the best. Asgard was beautiful and grand.
Favorite scenes: The seige of Asgard by trolls, demons and frost giants.
Thor unleashing the lightning and Mjolnir upon the Hulk, completely flattens a structure.......and Hulk still won't stop!!
Hulk punching Thor through a mountain!!

Overall, 4 1/2 stars out of 5

Knight

Emerald Knight
Pretty good movie. I really liked the vs Thor portion. Although Thor fans are probably upset that the Hulk dominated the fight ( I personally loved it).

spyke

The audience it is aimed at is the group that read the first meeting between Hulk and Wolverine, in the early 70's.

This would be the same audience that read their first battle in the all ages code approved INCREDIBLE HULK comic when they were little kids. As cool as the HULK VS WOLVERINE movie was, I thought it was way too violently bloody just for the simple fact that they were allowed to be violently bloody.

Does anyone know how well this movie is selling?

Yarharhar

Crime and ghosts beware!
Hulk vs. Wolverine: Freaking awesome!

This was definitely the best marvel animated movie I've seen. It was amazing to see Wolverine and Hulk actually use their powers to their full extents (damage AND regeneration), especially against one another as it results in these memorable, brutal fights. Not only were both their power sets in full use, they were used accurately with the fights going generally how it should.

And after that amazing fight, we get so much more; a proper glimpse at Wolverine's origin at Weapon X (that arm removal there actually shocked me a bit). And after that, Deadpool being hilarious.

And then a crazy brawl between Weapon X, Wolverine, and the Hulk? Heck yeah!

Even talking about this movie gets me pumped. Sure, you're not going to tell the deepest story, but that's not why you see a movie about essentially two guys that become extremely dangerous monsters when they fight.

One last detail I enjoyed: Wolverine, before softening up with the X-Men was a bit of a dick, and he acted like it here.

Anyways, yeah, awesome movie. Vs. Thor was good too, but didn't rile me up quite as much.

Arkaron

Hulk Vs Wolverine was very entertaining. The story is quite simple, some writers have done better with 20 minutes episodes in series like Batman TAS or Spectacular Spider-Man, but this is a short movie that does not fit with any pre-existing animated universe, so it's okay.

The fights were very well done, and I liked the characters. Deadpool was quite funny (a bit like the Flash in JLU, but more bad ass, of course). I couldn't stand Deathstrike's voice, that was unbearable. You can't imagine how much I enjoyed the scene when Hulk torn her arms apart (I know, it's sadistic...^^). The moment Wolverine cut the arm of the professor surprised me, but it was cool. This is basically a fanboy animated movie, and it's fine with me, but I expect Marvel to do things way more interesting with the next DTVs.

Hulk Vs Thor was quite good too. I've been a Thor fan for some years now, and I have waited very long to finally see the universe of Thor being animated. I liked almost all the character designs, and the backgrounds were very beautiful. Some voices were bad though, as Volstagg's.

The story was okay, but the movie was far less entertaining than the first one, unfortunately. The fights were good and all, but I didn't have that epic feeling I have when reading Thor's comic books. I'm looking forward to seeing the Thor animated series, and hope it will kick ass, hard.

RonDrakenfan17

Luffy fan
Well I loved, loved Hulk V.S Wolverine, that was awesome. DeadPool was freakin funny, he was like one of the best parts of the show. Wolverine V.S Hulk I was shocked at how gorey it was, well I mean for a cartoon any ways LOL. I loved SaberTooth V.S Wolverine but I hope they do it better in the film thats coming up.

I never saw Hulk V.S Thor I never read his comics so I wouldn't know any thing about any of the characters :p

Hanshotfirst1138

Morphinomenal!
The one bit of violence in Hulk vs Wolverine that really caught me off guard was when the Hulk dismembered Deathstrike, which felt pretty reminiscent of the Rock Demon/Ninja Clan fight from the beginning of Ninja Scroll.

Well, since Madhouse did the animation and anime nut (and BTAS DCAU alum) Kevin Altieri was a storyboard artist, you may be onto something.

Spider-Man

I recently learned that Lauran Montgomery did some storyboarding for Hulk Versus Wolverine and based on the crazy action in that movie I'm now a bit more excited about Wonder Woman. To get on topic, I recently rewatched this movie and still had a blast with it. The animation continues to impress me especially after watching some of the other Marvel DTVs. I'm not saying those were poorly animated but there's something about the animation in this one that rises it up a notch. Does everyone think this movie is going to have rewatchability and staying power?

Christopher Glennon

Punch Drunk Flounder
Staff member
Reporter
These two movies were obviously geared to the action rather than the plot, but Hulk Vs. Wolverine still left me a little empty, what with it not really fleshing out the relationship Wolverine had with the others and leaving the battle open ended. Deadpool was great, though.

I liked Hulk Vs. Thor better. Yeah, I'm a Thor fan who wished he did better in the fight, but it was great to see Thor's fellow Asgardians, and the inclusion of Hel made the scope even bigger. Plus the ending was pretty satisfying.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
Considering there are several PG-13 live action movies about superheroes that have done really well, I don't see what the big deal is. Why should PG-13 cartoons be different from a PG-13 live action movie? It seems like a double standard.

As Fone said, a good portion of PG-13 cartoons go further than a live action PG-13 film just for the heck of it.

Much like Marvel and DC Comics, cartoons have always and still do carry the stigmatism of being kids stuff. As a result, many adult cartoons overload on adult content just to prove their so called maturity.

In the case of this film, it's necessary as a way of showing how lethal Wolverine can be, but many animators who get the freedom to do a project for the older viewers just take the kind of plot you'd see in a kids show and fill it up with adult content (MTV Spider-Man episodes except the finale are a good example of this) rather than a series with genuine maturity (DCAU, Gargoyles and The Spectacular Spider-Man).

Anyway, if anyone has something else to say on the matter, PM me to discuss your opinion.

How to Make Money as a Kid 2

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Blathers' museum in Animal Crossing: New Horizons gives me some Foster's Home vibes
Is it wrong that I think Gwyneth Paltrow is fairly useless? Yeah, she was Pepper. But what good has she done lately besides creating the stupidest headlines imaginable?
Loving the rumor of a BTAS revival. Personally I would far prefer a JLU one, but maybe this could lead to that.

Here is my major suggestion for the BTAS revival:

MAKE IT KID-FRIENDLY

Contd...
I am now old enough to drink! I'm 21!
I find it interesting how Jason Spisak has done voice work for plenty of DC projects, yet he's never been in one with Andrea Romano as the voice director. Even in non-DC projects, he's never been in a project she worked on.

Featured Posts