Hulk And The Agents of S.M.A.S.H "The Venom Inside" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this episode

• Total voters

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
An all-new episode of Marvel's Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. debuts this morning at 8am (ET/PT) on Disney XD!

talkback.jpg

Marvel's Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.
"The Venom Inside"

Episode Premiere Date - December 8th, 2013
Hulk has to save the day when his friends are possessed by Venom and rampage through New York City to destroy Spider-Man.
Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Some of the action scenes we good, but there wasn't really much of a plot, and I started getting bored towards the end.

macattack

I see you!
Staff member
Reporter
This didn't exactly turn out like the synopsis. :sweat:

However, this episode was pretty brain-dead and there was no real plot or story here. It was just lots of random destruction. And there was some terrible animation and camera cuts throughout, not making things any better.

Also, Spider-Man physically jumping on power lines was dumb as hell. Just sayin'.

Medinnus

Staff member
Yawn. Obligatory badly-written Ultimate Spider-Man crossover. Did anyone else notice the gratuitious bell in the first scene, and wonder why that wasn't what Spidey used immediately upon the appearance of Venom?

No value at all to this episode.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Yawn. Obligatory badly-written Ultimate Spider-Man crossover. Did anyone else notice the gratuitous bell in the first scene, and wonder why that wasn't what Spidey used immediately upon the appearance of Venom?

Because Spider-Man had yet to figure out that sonic waves were a weakness to the symbiote. Previously the symbiote's biggest weakness was electricity. They tried that first and it didn't work. Freezing it didn't work either. In the first Venom episode in Ultimate Spider-Man, Venom was defeated using electrical energy. Doctor Octopus even mentioned this, that after absorbing gamma energy it was no longer weak to electric shocks "like the original Venom." This was the first time Spider-Man figured out that sonic shockwaves could hurt it, as is the classic weakness to the symbiote to the comics. So the show was merely acknowledging and building off of the ESTABLISHED CONTINUITY from a previous animated episode.

Loeb regime allowing continuity from Ultimate Spider-Man to Hulk and the Agents of SMASH! UMPOSSIBLE! I thought Loeb hated continuity.

I thought this was a fun episode that had a lot of good continuity and references to Ultimate Spider-Man. There were great references like A-Bomb suggesting the symbiote hitched a ride on a meteorite, referencing the symbiote's alien and cosmic origins in the comics and also really Spider-Man 3 in which the symbiote basically landed on earth in a little meteorite that then attached itself to Peter's scooter. Spider-Man then corrects A-Bomb saying it was made from his blood as it was in the Ultimate Spider-Man animated show. Great one-liners from Spider-Man who also got to show off his science and nerd cred. A-Bomb mentioning the "No Prize" at the end was also fun.

macattack

I see you!
Staff member
Reporter
Loeb regime allowing continuity from Ultimate Spider-Man to Hulk and the Agents of SMASH! UMPOSSIBLE! I thought Loeb hated continuity.

I'm going to put this to you as nicely as I can make it: don't be a pretentious, arrogant jerk. Thank you.

The shows have very little continuity across each other, and when they do try to include continuity they frequently screw it up. If they were going to go with Spider-Man not knowing the sound wave weakness for Venom until this episode, they should have planned to run this episode before the USM episode where Spidey uses sound waves against Venom successfully. This is Continuity 101, and they flunked it.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
I'm going to put this to you as nicely as I can make it: don't be a pretentious, arrogant jerk. Thank you.

The shows have very little continuity across each other, and when they do try to include continuity they frequently screw it up. If they were going to go with Spider-Man not knowing the sound wave weakness for Venom until this episode, they should have planned to run this episode before the USM episode where Spidey uses sound waves against Venom successfully. This is Continuity 101, and they flunked it.

Spidey never used sound waves against Venom before successfully in Ultimate Spider-Man. This was the first time it was discovered. Continuity 101, passed.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Didn't really care for this episode. The action scenes were for the most part pretty good, but the story wasn't all that interesting. It was nice seeing Spidey on the show again I guess but other than trying to establish his current show is set in the same universe as this Hulk show, his appearance here wasn't exactly needed. The Venom story-line is probably the best thing to come out of Ultimate Spider-Man (which isn't saying much), but this episode here didn't really add anything to it.

sparkykandy

Truth be told, I was kind of bored almost the whole entire time. However, this episode did have some nice bits I liked: such as Ock's oh crap face at the end and A-Bomb's Marvel No Prize reference.

Also, I'm going to back up TheVileOne on this being the first time Venom has ever shown a weakness to sound waves. Before, he's always been taken out by electricity, so this episode definitively passes in the continuity department. Only thing is, when was this episode supposed to take place? Because Ock's wearing his season one glasses, but everything else hints that this takes place during late season two (or beyond) of Ultimate Spider-Man.

webmonkey44

Some of the action scenes we good, but there wasn't really much of a plot, and I started getting bored towards the end.
agreed. Too much constant and not enough time spent on story or character development. pretty simple really as the premise was pretty good in my opinion.

Christopher Glennon

Punch Drunk Flounder
Staff member
Reporter
This episode started boring me as soon as I realized they were going to have the symbiote possess every Hulk and show us a Venom version of them. Then it was all smash and fight and run until it was over.

I did like the battle with Doctor Octopus. Because it was him against Spider-Man and a bunch of Hulks and they didn't need to show it. Just cut to Hulk and A-Bomb on a couch playing with a ripped tentacle. That would've made a great episode, if it was just those two or three minutes.

Only thing is, when was this episode supposed to take place? Because Ock's wearing his season one glasses, but everything else hints that this takes place during late season two (or beyond) of Ultimate Spider-Man.

Good catch!

darkdetective

Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer
Also, Spider-Man physically jumping on power lines was dumb as hell. Just sayin'.

As far as I know (at least according to Superman in the original Action Comics #1,) there's nothing wrong with being on power lines. Pigeons do it all the time.

Roxas_Sora

I have been extremely busy these days, but I finally have a chance to give my opinion of this episode. First of all, I want to say thank you to Marvel because, even although there wasn't any "Ultimate Spider-Man" in this episode, Spidey was still present in both episodes from Marvel's animated series before we say goodbye to 2013. This was an awesome episode in all kinds of ways.

Now, I have to say, there are some things that called my attention around here. Let's see:
+ The comments of A-Bomb about what Venom could be; about being somekind of alien that arrived to Earth in a meteor, funny reference to Venom's true origin. Although the fact of arriving to Earth by a meteor can be also being used from the 90's animated series, when Venom's symbiote returned to Earth by a meteor.
+ I have to say, mixing symbiotes with Hulks is actually an interesting problem to see how it's resolved before everything goes "Boom!"
+ I share the opinion of some of you guys. Doctor Octopus should have looked like as in the second season of "Ultimate Spider-Man", not like in the first season. Even that lair seemed like his original underwater laboratory in season 1, which was destroyed after the first battle against the Sinister Six. That lair shouldn't even exist anymore after a visit of the Hulks. Besides, after being "smashed" by the Hulks at the end of the episode; it would have more sense to see Doc Ock in his "more sick look" from the second season. Don't you think?
+ Venom losing his weakness to electricity and gaining it against sound, another reference to the real Venom. Not to mention that using a big bell to defeat the monster is how Spiderman got rid of the symbiote in that church, until it returned as Venom.
+ Anyone else noticed that when Venom possessed She-Hulk, clearly because of her femenine body, it looked a lot like "She-Venom"?

*This is a comment I forgot to mention in "Planet Doom", but here it can also work. In Bruce Banner's Flashback, we saw a cameo of Betty Ross. I really hope we will se this girl in a future episode. Even more if she appears as her current self as the Red She-Hulk. Don't you think?

Well, opinions?

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
I'd definitely like to see She-Rulk/Betty at some point if not in season 1, I'd like to see her in season 2 if they do one.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I think that maybe Paramount plans on having their removed shows put on some other streaming service like Netflix.
The good thing for Big Nate is that it's a successful daily comic strip first, and a book series, so Paramount's horribleness still doesn't mean people can't enjoy it in other forms.
Happy 9th Anniversary, Harvey Beaks.
Unpopular opinion: I really hope The Animation Guild does goes on strike soon. I'm so tired of seeing the animation industry getting screwed over by greedy companies for far too long.

I don't care what anybody says, it's time for the union to fight back.
Happy Good Friday!

Featured Posts