Hub "Network" to air Pound Puppies, SheZow!, Wizards VS. Aliens, and Aquabats This June!

Sparkster24

And apparently, The Hub has letted out a premiere for SheZow! due to a contreversy that's happening around on Facebook. Oh, Boy! This won't be pretty for the channel. This is kinda sad to see this happening, trust me.. i'm not going to watch it knowing how ridiculous it is.. but i'm worried for The Hub on this, and the fact that it's going in a big problem about it. :(

SheZow: SheZow Happens - Ep. 1, Season 1 (episode) | Kids TV Shows | Hub Network

Mandouga

In any event, this really isn't the kind of show The Hub should be airing anyway: a genre parody that focuses more on that, and less on everything else, resulting in the "one-joke premise" that Silverstar refers to; essentially the sort of thing that could be done on any show with any premise, as well as kind of show that could be seen on other networks (who will remain nameless). In the case of this show (and as I've said before), that's bad enough, but in also trying to parody the "gender gap" concept, it ends up reinforcing it instead.

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013
but in also trying to parody the "gender gap" concept, it ends up reinforcing it instead.

I agree. The question it raises is "why is that funny?" Why is a boy not conforming to traditional gender roles such a kneeslapper? I don't think the rightwingers have anything to worry about, this show will probably do a lot more to reinforce gender identity bias than to alleviate it.

So I just watched it. Yeah, not so great. Surprised that so much of the humor came from puns and alliteration that sounded "almost" like something dirty. Pushy Pirate Posse? Say that three times fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Talon

I could've sworn I've seen something just like this, a pilot of the show but years ago. I think maybe back in 2006 or something. It's funny for 10 minutes, but I didn't think you could make an entire tv series out of it.

soundmonkey44

Melancholic Man.
The controversy over this is idiotic, I plan to watch it to support the HUB, even if the toon itself is sub-par overall.

I do feel the show will quickly get shoved under the rug though due to all the sad but tired & true never failing human stupidity raving about how horrible it is the HUB is showing it. Whats next complaining about CN airing Looney Tunes skits where Bugs Bunny cross dresses!? Good lord, modern society is a piece o work ain't it! XD

* I fear for our races future sometimes*

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
Whats next complaining about CN airing Looney Tunes skits where Bugs Bunny cross dresses!?

Not to mention decades worth of manga and anime involving boys turning to girls. And there have actually been extremists who did complain about Bugs Bunny cross-dressing.

In any event, there's no such thing as bad publicity -- even the "controversy" (which, to be honest, strikes me as particularly intellectually deficient in this instance) means the Hub gets attention, which might mean people checking out what else is there and finding something they like. Which is good for the Hub and, IMO, good for us because even with the shows I'm not crazy about, they still have a better hit-to-miss ratio than just about any other network I've ever seen. I'd like them to stick around and make more.

I'm a independent conservative and i don't endorse the rubbish that's being slinged at this show
as this rubbish controversy echoes back to the outcry against "The Life of Brian"

Mandouga

@soundmonkey44:

Not only is your comparison to Bugs Bunny inaccurate, it's also unfair. In his case, the gags where he disguises himself as a girl aren't and were never the point (after all, he's "got a million of them" as they say). This show, SheZow builds itself entirely around that (that, and the fact that it's ultimately just another genre parody*), which changes all the rules.

*The genre in question being superheroes.

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
The controversy over this is idiotic, I plan to watch it to support the HUB, even if the toon itself is sub-par overall.

Ignore the controversy and that's easily the most obvious thing wrong with this show - that and the fact that it is secretly a reinforcement of unneeded gender stereotypes that (last time I checked), lesser fare than Friendship Is Magic is easily bashed, maligned, and ignored for for good reasons.

soundmonkey44

Melancholic Man.
I agree the show is nothing special, but it should be bashed for being a sub-par cartoon, not for the reasons others seem to be doing so. Thats what I was trying to get at.

Often times subpar shows can be fun to watch in a so bad it's good manner (or even as a guilty pleasure)
however, there are shows that are just plain bad like Atomic Betty and Total Drama

Parents should have think for themselves in this regard
While the show has a dumb idea, Breitbart's assumption is even dumber
again, just because i am a conservative - it doesn't mean i agree with their opinions all the time (while i do agree with them on Obama, This "controversy" is one of those exceptions)
some of them like Breitbart are mostly over-zealous

cartoons like Johnny Bravo (Bravo did it twice during the show's run), Nu Pagodi (in 1 episode), Looney Tunes, Samurai Pizza Cats/Kyatto Ninden Teyandee and so forth has cross dressing in their visual gag fodder but did kids copy it?
Yes though mostly on Halloween and not as a choice of lifestyle unless if chosen to be gay (but that's a whole 'nother story)

The only person IRL that cross dresses i can recall is the notorious B-list film director Ed Wood due to his mother makes him do it (It's a true story, look it up)

I might give SheZow a chance, heck i DVR'd the debut episode as a test run to see if the whole ordeal is just a huge misunderstanding

Zanneck

Often times subpar shows can be fun to watch in a so bad it's good manner (or even as a guilty pleasure)
however, there are shows that are just plain bad like Atomic Betty and Total Drama

I'm sorry, but I have to say this here and now: even if just IMHO (because I actually like Atomic Betty, despite its faults!) I would never, ever, dream of dragging Atomic Betty in an argument to the level of this..... potential failure, (even if only IMHO) as this..... doesn't even look like it tried and is only worthy of being fodder to sites that must not be named around here... If it isn't already.

thecoolone

Use as directed
SheZow! creator Obie Scott Wade spoke with io9 today in regards to the controversy, which he says he was not expecting.

"Just based on what they wrote, they're reading a lot into the show that's not there," Wade says of the critics. "I didn't set out to make a show about any sort of political agenda, I just wanted to make a comedy. I wanted to make a cartoon that I would have liked as a kid. So I think people are just reading a lot into it."

Mandouga

...I just wanted to make a comedy.

That's just it, though. Comedy is really the only thing going for it. As a genre, there's more to comedy than just parody, or even telling jokes. Not only that, but as I've more or less said before (and with all due respect to him), even if he didn't mean to reinforce existing stereotypes, it does just that anyway.

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
My reviews of the four premieres tomorrow is now live, in case you didn't see it in the sidebar. Short version is that Pound Puppies and the Aquabats hit home runs, Wizards vs Aliens gets a base hit or a double, and SheZow falls flat on its face walking out of the dugout. I don't say anything about SheZow that hasn't been said here already, which makes me think that it's not going to be well received.

Zanneck

Pound Puppies and the Aquabats hit home runs,

and SheZow falls flat on its face walking out of the dugout.

...In terms of Highlights, there are no argument(s) there. From everyone here at Toonzone Forums, I'm the Shop Soldier saying "Goodnight, everyone." See You again!

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013
My reviews of the four premieres tomorrow is now live, in case you didn't see it in the sidebar. Short version is that Pound Puppies and the Aquabats hit home runs, Wizards vs Aliens gets a base hit or a double, and SheZow falls flat on its face walking out of the dugout. I don't say anything about SheZow that hasn't been said here already, which makes me think that it's not going to be well received.

Good review Ed. I agree that SheZow isn't too much fun and kind of misses or ignores the issues it raises.

Kelly's subordination, which you mentioned, is the most glaring thing. Seriously, all it takes for her to get over being cruelly, crudely cheated out of her lifelong dream is one prank, and then she immediately falls into the traditional cartoon girl boy-support role, with only a slight element of snark.

Gender stereotypes are not being challenged here, they are being hammered in even harder.

Zanneck

Wow - I kinda feel bad for NOT saying something smarter in regards to why SheZow fails (because Shawn does such a good job here.)... Then again...

SaneMan

Good review Ed. I agree that SheZow isn't too much fun and kind of misses or ignores the issues it raises.

Kelly's subordination, which you mentioned, is the most glaring thing. Seriously, all it takes for her to get over being cruelly, crudely cheated out of her lifelong dream is one prank, and then she immediately falls into the traditional cartoon girl boy-support role, with only a slight element of snark.

Gender stereotypes are not being challenged here, they are being hammered in even harder.

well, at the very least she holds the role of the mentor

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts