How would you rate DCAU Superman on a scale of 1-5?

How would you rate DCAU Superman on a scale of 1-5?

• 1/5

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 2/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3/5

• 4/5

• 5/5

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

TaliaJoy

On a scale of 1-5, how would you rate the DC Animated Universe version of Superman?

For me, the overall score would be 3/5. But I should say my opinion on this specific version of Superman varies a lot based on the show in question. To break it down:

Superman: The Animated Series: 3/5. An alright, serviceable take on the character. Has too limited an emotional range, gets beat up too much, and his relationships with other characters aren't developed enough. Has some good moments and is okay overall, but feels like he could be a lot better. Also, I like Tim Daly's voice a lot (though George Newbern is fine).

Justice League Season 1: 2/5. Comes across as even more of a jobber than in S:TAS. They also made the dumb decision to make him look older than the rest of the Justice League, even though Batman should probably be older than him, which they thankfully reversed in the next season.

Justice League Season 2: 4/5. Great, solid take on the character with believable emotions and a genuine-feeling personality.

Justice League Unlimited: 1/5. The actions this version of the character takes makes it pretty much impossible for me to like or respect him. His fight with Captain Marvel was an absolute disgrace, and in the last story arc of the first season, he comes across as having a nasty authoritarian streak. Obviously they wanted to make him more similar to Justice Lord Superman for story reasons, but that kinda makes him rather unsympathetic, ya know?

He also has more of a temper than I consider acceptable for someone of his power level. In this clip, he harshly throws down a heavy object and crushes the top of a steel chair just because he's angry at the Question finding out and talking about some information he didn't want him to.

Mod Note: Clip removed due to copyright concerns. If an official clip of that scene can be found it can be posted.

If all that wasn't enough, there's his awful jobbing to Darkseid in the series finale so that Lex Luthor, the true main character of JLU, can save the day with a deus ex machina. (Yeah, normally I wouldn't consider losing to Darkseid "jobbing", but the DCAU is another story. Plus, even if it was "fair", the context just makes it sting.)

Technically, the average of my scores would be 2/5, but I think 3/5 is more representative of my opinion because his appearances in JLU doesn't constitute that much screen time compared to the rest. Also, I didn't bother covering the shows where he just appears for an episode or two.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Wait, Superman gets less emotionless in season 2 of the Justice League? In what episode does that happen? :) I gave up after episode 27 and switched to Justice League Unlimited (which I also gave up on).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Wait, Superman gets less emotionless in season 2 of the Justice League? In what episode does that happen? :) I gave up after episode 27 and switched to Justice League Unlimited (which I also gave up on).
Let me get this straight. You have been talking smack about Justice League Unlimited on these boards without even bothering to see how the arc turned out? That's the entire point of Justice League Unlimited!

Also you skipped season two of Justice League? No wonder you couldn't follow or understand JLU.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Let me get this straight. You have been talking smack about Justice League Unlimited on these boards without even bothering to see how the arc turned out? That's the entire point of Justice League Unlimited!
I have never complained about the plot, not for even a sentence.
Also you skipped season two of Justice League? No wonder you couldn't follow or understand JLU.
I could understand everything just fine.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I have never complained about the plot, not for even a sentence.
I'm pretty sure I've heard snide comments. For instance "I gave up on it" is exactly the kind of thing a person says when a series is bad. I don't say I gave up on Riverdale because I'm complimenting it.
I could understand everything just fine.
I sincerely doubt you got the subtleties and subtexts of what was going on with the conspiracy without having seen season two of Justice League. Yes, this is a cartoon with subtext and subtleties. You can't just skip around and declare it a lost cause after you watched it the wrong way in the wrong order.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I would rate him a 5/5 because he is my favorite version of Superman.
DCAU Superman is the Clark Kent who tells Lois Lane he's secretly Superman when he needs an excuse for why he wasn't there. And because of the way he says it, she thinks it's ridiculous. I love DCAU Superman.

-batmat-

Wow, that's surprising! Justice League and JL Unlimited are usually considered up there with Batman TAS. Really shocked that you dropped out on both. (If there's any season I would understand dropping out of , it's season 1 of JL, but even that has some good episodes)

Out of curiosity, what are some series or movies that you consider your favorites?

#TeamMike

I like everything about Superman TAS except for Superman himself, who was a little... bland. The villains and supporting cast always outshined Superman in the show. I thought Daly was a fine Clark Kent, but he always had a hard time selling the anger as Superman, even when the script called for it. I definitely think George Newbern is the better Superman, even his latter performances in the Injustice video games, or the Superman vs Elite DTV really impressed me. It's the rare recast that ended up working extremely well, because aside from having a better voice, it's a natural evolution of Daly's voice.

Season 1 JL was rough, even the creative team admitted they botched the character. I also remember reading somewhere that Newbern's voice was actually pitched down in season 1, because his voice wasn't deep enough (you can tell).

Season 2 and JLU is where Superman really comes into his own. The episodes "Hereafter" and "For the Man Who has Everything" are hands down the best Superman stories to come out of the DCAU.

I've heard some people complain that Superman is too much of a jerk during the Cadmus arc, especially towards Captain Marvel. The thing is, that's the point. Superman's whole arc that season is going from someone who's amassing lots of power and becoming more and more arrogant. At the end of the season, he apologizes with his big speech, and admits to losing his way with the people.

Mod Note: Clip removed due to copyright concerns. If an official clip of that scene can be found it can be posted.

Last edited:

the greenman

I honestly don't know how to rate the character in the DCAU. I will say I enjoy his character development throughout. In STAS and JL/JLU, he clearly went from naive George Reeves/Christopher Reeve crimefighter foiling the villain of the week to the comic Super Friends accurate powerhouse. Much like Frank Miller did with Daredevil, Timm used Darkseid as Supes arch nemesis and in perfect fashion. Here we also got Superman with more of a background cast of characters beyond just the Daily Planet tribe.

Compare this to our Superman in the Snyder/Cavill films, and we can appreciate someone who gets the character. I felt DCAU Superman is my favorite. A hero who got fooled, demoralized, and often just got taken advantage of, yet (even though clearly continued to become unstrung at times) started to show the "see-good-in-everyone" when he did not have to and with good rationale.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

#TeamMike

Everyone's forgetting Superman from Batman Beyond
1591289484426.png

VintageToonFan

I give him a 1/5. I always felt he was one of the blandest versions of Superman around. He just didn't engage me in the same way that the 1950's TV show Superman did.

Also, I feel the only DCAU Superman voice actor that actually sounded good was Christopher McDonald (from Batman Beyond), I always felt Tim Daly and George Newbern get way too much praise (believe me, when something gets way too much praise and really doesn't impress me that much, it tends to wear me down a lot) when I felt their performances really felt kinda flat at times and really didn't impress me as much as some of the classic Superman live-action and voice actors did. Bud Collyer had a wonderful way to differentiate his Superman and Clark Kent voices and had some really intense moments in the radio show. George Reeves was just perfectly cast in the role and I love how he made Clark a bit more proactive while having a lot of presence and authority as Superman. Christopher Reeve... I wasn't fond of his Clark Kent (too buffoonish), but his Superman was perfect. Danny Dark had a corny but charming larger-than-life performance that really made me smile, a bit over-the-top, but at least it did leave an impression. And Beau Weaver... I felt if he had played DCAU Superman, I would have tolerated him more, since he actually had tons of energy in the role when he played it in the 1988 cartoon. Of course, his Clark Kent is the bumbling version of the Salkind flicks, but I do think he would have pulled off the more proactive version from the radio show and the 1950s TV show).

So yeah, that would be my two cents on it.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

harry580 wrote on RegularCapital's profile.
hey um I have another idea, the haim saban attempt to have news corporation (the owners of fox and fox family worldwide at the time) to buy his stake in fox family worldwide back in 2000/2001
New on the RegularCapital Audiovisual Research Wiki: Nickelodeon's Failed First Attempt In Germany (1995-1998): Nickelodeon's Failed First Attempt In Germany (1995-1998) tl;dr: Nick Germany gets screwed over by public broadcasting.
Vuxovich wrote on Mostezli's profile.
I am not kidding, Mostezli. The brand-new Evangelion movie will be released tomorrow indeed.
Today I was sitting on Budapest bus line 138, and what did I see? This!

However, this has nothing to do with Dexter's Laboratory or the live-action series. It is called like that because there is a Hungarian company in District 22 called Dexter.
The brand-new Evangelion movie can't be delayed anymore. It will be released tomorrow. Rejoice!

Featured Posts