How would you approach creating your own Ben 10 Continuity?

DBTrilogy100

For those who are not aware, it was 14 years ago on this day when the 1st episode of the Original Ben 10 Series had its "formal" premiere. The series premiere's first airing was on December 27, 2005 as a "sneak peak" which would make 2020 the 15th Year Anniversary of the Ben 10 Franchise. The fact that this day and this year could be considered notable milestones for the franchise is why I thought it might be interesting to come up with this thread and hear how other fans of the franchise might approach this hypothetical situation.

To provide context for those not in the loop, the Ben 10 Franchise had 4 shows that Cartoon Network considers part of the same continuity (the Original Series, Alien Force, Ultimate Alien and Omniverse) and each show had brought something different to the franchise while also having different tones. At the same time, an intense debate among many fans of the franchise started as early as Alien Force when various retcons and changes (such as characterization & designs) appeared that contradict aspects that were established in the Original Series. Later entries attempted to try and reconcile the notable differences and try to find a compromise with reactions to these attempts to be mixed, to say the least. Sometime after Omniverse had ended, a Reboot Series set within a different continuity began and is still continuing at the time of this thread being made. The Reboot Series had been noted for blending different aspects of the previous shows while also bringing its own spin on other aspects of the franchise. At the same time, the Reboot Series has a different format compared to previous shows of the franchise (such as roughly 11 minutes episodes rather than roughly 22 minute episodes) and also having its own tone.

Essentially, my intentions for creating this thread was to provide others fans of the franchise a chance to share how they would go about creating their own continuity for the Ben 10 Franchise as a way to celebrate today being the 14th Year Anniversary of the franchise's "formal" premiere and 2020 being the 15th Year Anniversary of the franchise. Speaking for myself, I do feel that each show has their good points and there are aspects about each show that I like but I feel the execution was not ideal in certain situations; in turn, this has lead to me sometimes pondering ideas for how these different aspects could be blended together in a way that would feel more organic and cherry pick aspects that I felt had potential.

For the sake of helping others have a clearer idea of the intent of this thread, I will share some of my thoughts on how I might approach this hypothetical idea to get the ball rolling, so to speak. Since these thoughts bring up details from the various shows of the franchise, I feel it is only right to provide a heads up for those who may not have seen certain episodes or even certain shows.

*If I were to go about creating a new continuity, I would stick with episodes that are roughly 22 minutes and the Original Series' art style. Having said that, there are certain design choices (such as outfits) from other shows in the franchise that I find myself preferring and could see working in the Original Series' art style.

*I would keep the first continuity's idea of having more aliens being unlocked over the course of time rather than take the "Rule of 10" approach that is used in the Reboot Series. I would keep the Original Series' "starting roster" intact and roll with the sequel shows' approach of the Omnitrix aliens having green eyes (although this approach was shown as early as the Original Series with the "horror themed" aliens from Season 3 of that series).

*While I do understand that it is an inevitability that certain Omnitrix aliens will have some overlapping abilities, I still believe that it is possible to find ways to still distinguish how certain aliens may utilize certain abilities. Omniverse had shown Grey Matter and Brainstorm being able to utilize their shared ability of intellect in different ways and I believe that is a good starting point for different aliens utilizing a shared ability in different ways. Off the top of my head, I see XLR8 & Fasttrack and Water Hazard & Overflow as being examples of pairs of Omnitrix aliens that could use more distinctions.

*The UAF Era was infamous in the eyes of some fans by having a habit of making almost (if not everything) alien related in some way with the most notable examples of this being Gwen and Kevin being half-aliens. Later entries would backpedal on this retcon by having magic and mana being part of the same energy source while Omniverse would bring Kevin back to being fully human but simply having mutant powers with "Osmosian" being changed to another word for "mutant" rather than being an alien species. I am one of those fans that preferred how the Original Series included other aspects that didn't relate to aliens (like magic & mutants) even if aliens were the main focus and would keep the Original Series' approach over the UAF Era's approach. I should clarify that I wouldn't object to magic being used by aliens or aliens having their own mutants, I would just stay clear from making those aspects be of alien origin.

*One of the biggest base breaking aspects of the franchise among many fans has been Ben's characterization in the sequel shows. The first 2 seasons of Alien Force had made Ben more mature although some fans have felt that it came at the cost of his personality; Season 3 of Alien Force portrayed Ben acting more like his younger self with some fans feeling that this lead to one extreme being traded for the opposite extreme. Ultimate Alien and Omniverse had attempted to strike a balance between Ben's maturity & immaturity to mixed response (I would describe this attempt as resulting in Ben's characterization being a "depending on the episode" sort of situation). This debate is a great help in figuring out how to find a way to portray Ben's characterization during his teen years in a way that is well executed.

*An aspect of the Original Series that I notice as a point of debate among some fans is Ben & Gwen's interactions with each other. Some fans didn't mind them being argumentative towards each other while others grew irritated by their arguing; the Reboot Series is notable for portraying Ben & Gwen's interactions with each other in a more amiable light. I would try to blend these different interpretations by having the Tennyson Cousins start out being argumentative but gradually growing out of it and into an amicable light as a way to highlight character development.

*One of the reasons as to why I find myself enjoying the Original Series the most is I felt the show had main villains that had great potential (Vilgax, Kevin 11 & Zs'Skayr) and I would maintain those 3 villains as the "unholy trinity" of Kid Ben's timeframe.

*I would stick with the first continuity's approach of Kevin 11 having mutant powers rather than the Reboot Series' approach of Kevin having his own variation of the Omnitrix. I also admit that part of my reason for keeping the Original Series' "starting roster" is to maintain Kevin's mutated form present in the Original Series (that form is one of my favorite designs from the franchise).

*I admit that it always bothered me that it took until Omniverse for Zs'Skayr's name to be revealed and I would make a point to have his name revealed upon his debut in a new continuity. I would also make a point to feature Crüjo & Kuphulu from Omniverse as Zs'Skayr's minions alongside Dr. Viktor from the start rather than the unnamed Loboan (Blitzwolfer's species) & Thep Khufan (Snare-Oh's species) from the Original Series due to them having more personality.

*While Hex was the first magic-themed villain to appear in the franchise, Charmcaster quickly became the most prevalent magic themed villain in the franchise while also becoming a fan favorite for many. Charmcaster is also a character that highlights how a character can have different characterization depending on the series which came with its own debate. Charmcaster's incarnation from the Original Series is my favorite incarnation of the character (in terms of design & characterization) as I feel this incarnation of the character did well at highlighting her status as a foil to Gwen which is why I would stick with that incarnation of the character.

*Although Kevin 11 started off as one of Ben's main villains, the sequel shows had portrayed him as redeeming himself and becoming one of Ben's comrades which had lead to another infamous debate among the fandom. Likewise, Charmcaster started off as a villain but began to go through the process of redemption in Ultimate Alien and Omniverse which had also lead to an infamous debate among the fandom. While it is true that Kevin & Charmcaster's reformations weren't shown until the sequel shows, it is worth mentioning that Man of Action (the co-creators of the franchise) have revealed that they had always planned for Kevin & Charmcaster to become less like villains and more like anti-heroes over the course of time (the link here leads to one of the members of Man of Action's comments on this). While I found myself preferring the Original Series incarnations of these characters, I still believe that the idea of them reforming has great potential but it wasn't executed as well as it could have been. Therefore, I would still incorporate the idea of Kevin & Charmcaster's reformations but would take care to make sure it is well executed.

*Omniverse had shown Hex being redeemed and even brought up the possibility of Phil Billings being redeemed (although it didn't come to pass). These are ideas that I feel have great potential and I think would be a good way to compliment the idea of Kevin & Charmcaster being redeemed. I would tweak Hex & Charmcaster's interactions in this new continuity to help in making Hex's redemption feel more organic and could see the idea of Phil becoming a mentor to Kevin in a scenario where they both reform.

*Professor Paradox, Darkstar/Michael Morningstar & Albedo are characters from Alien Force that I feel were great additions to the franchise (Michael Morningstar even appeared in the Reboot Series) and I would incorporate them into a new continuity in this hypothetical scenario.

Those were just several thoughts of mine on this particular topic but I hope it helps to provide others an idea of this thread's intentions and maybe help to spark some discussion. Feel free to be as detailed as you like when sharing your thoughts and/or asking about what fellow fans might think of certain aspects of the franchise.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I would be all in for a 22 minute series with the same tone as the 2005 series + the reboot Ben/Gwen relation + a brand new art style.

Reviving the original art style seems pointless to me.

I wouldn't mind Ben being an adult, but Man of Action seems incapable of writing good teenage / adult characters.

I kind of hate how I only like the 2005 series. I don't want to be that kind of guy. I think the reboot is "okay but meh". I would REALLY like a new Ben 10 continuity with new writers and everything.

If we are going to keep getting new Ben 10, then Cartoon Network should start treating the franchise like how Hasbro treats Transformers. Every series should have a different crew.

AdrenalineRush1996

In my continuity for the franchise, I'd have it being a high school-set series with Ben and Gwen being the main characters along with having a similar tone to the Tales of Arcadia series and the Into the Spider-Verse film.

There would be notable mythology gags to the past series (that would also include the Ultimate Alien Force series as I do like said series and characters from said series would appear in it, not to mention that I preferred Charmcaster's Scarlet Witch-inspired look from said series than her Original Series look).

And yes, I'd have new writers instead of having the creators returning for this.

Mostezli

Not 4 Everyone & That's OK
*If I were to go about creating a new continuity, I would stick with episodes that are roughly 22 minutes and the Original Series' art style. Having said that, they are certain design choices (such as outfits) from other shows in the franchise that I find myself preferring and could see working in the Original Series' art style.

*I would keep the first continuity's idea of having more aliens being unlocked over the course of time rather than take the "Rule of 10" approach that is used in the Reboot Series. I would keep the Original Series' "starting roster" intact and roll with the sequel shows' approach of the Omnitrix aliens having green eyes (although this approach was shown as early as the Original Series with the "horror themed" aliens from Season 3 of that series).

*While I do understand that it is an inevitability that certain Omnitrix aliens will have some overlapping abilities, I still believe that it is possible to find ways to still distinguish how certain aliens may utilize certain abilities. Omniverse had shown Grey Matter and Brainstorm being able to utilize their shared ability of intellect in different ways and I believe that is a good starting point for different aliens utilize a shared ability in different ways. Off the top of my head, I see XLR8 & Fasttrack and Water Hazard & Overflow as being examples of pairs of Omnitrix aliens that could use more distinctions.

*The UAF Era was infamous in the eyes of some fans by having a habit of making almost (if not everything) alien related in some way with the most notable examples of this being Gwen and Kevin being half-aliens. Later entries would backpedal on this retcon by having magic and mana being part of the same energy source while Omniverse would bring Kevin back to being fully human but simply having mutant powers with "Osmosian" being changed to another word for "mutant" rather than being an alien species. I am one of those fans that preferred how the Original Series included other aspects that didn't relate to aliens (like magic & mutants) even if aliens were the main focus and would keep the Original Series' approach over the UAF Era's approach. I should clarify that I wouldn't object to magic being used by aliens or aliens having their own mutants, I would just stay clear from making those aspects be of alien origin.

*One of the biggest base breaking aspects of the franchise among many fans has been Ben's characterization in the sequel shows. The first 2 seasons of Alien Force had made Ben more mature although some fans have felt that it came at the cost of his personality; Season 3 of Alien Force portrayed Ben acting more like his younger self with some fans feeling that this lead to one extreme being traded for the opposite extreme. Ultimate Alien and Omniverse had attempted to strike a balance between Ben's maturity & immaturity to mixed response (I would describe this attempt as resulting in Ben's characterization being a "depending on the episode" sort of situation). This debate is a great help in figuring out how to find a way to portray Ben's characterization during his teen years in a way that is well executed.

*An aspect of the Original Series that I notice as a point of debate among some fans is Ben & Gwen's interactions with each other. Some fans didn't mind them being argumentative towards each other while others grew irritated by their arguing; the Reboot Series is notable for portraying Ben & Gwen's interactions with each other in a more amiable light. I would try to blend these different interpretations by having the Tennyson Cousins start out being argumentative but gradually growing out of it and into an amicable light as a way to highlight character development.

*One of the reasons as to why I find myself enjoying the Original Series the most is I felt the show had main villains that had great potential (Vilgax, Kevin 11 & Zs'Skayr) and I would maintain those 3 villains as the "unholy trinity" of Kid Ben's timeframe.

*I would stick with the first continuity's approach of Kevin 11 having mutant powers rather than the Reboot Series' approach of Kevin having his own variation of the Omnitrix. I also admit that part of my reason for keeping the Original Series' "starting roster" is to maintain Kevin's mutated form present in the Original Series (that form is one of my favorite designs from the franchise).

*I admit that it always bothered me that it took until Omniverse for Zs'Skayr's name to be revealed and I would make a point to have his name revealed upon his debut in a new continuity. I would also make a point to feature Crüjo & Kuphulu from Omniverse as Zs'Skayr's minions alongside Dr. Viktor from the start rather than the unnamed Loboan (Blitzwolfer's species) & Thep Khufan (Snare-Oh's species) from the Original Series due to them having more personality.

*While Hex was the first magic-themed villain to appear in the franchise, Charmcaster quickly became the most prevalent magic themed villain in the franchise while also becoming a fan favorite for many. Charmcaster is also a character that highlights how a character can have different characterization depending on the series which came with its own debate. Charmcaster's incarnation from the Original Series is my favorite incarnation of the character (in terms of design & characterization) as I feel this incarnation of the character did well at highlighting her status as a foil to Gwen which is why I would stick with that incarnation of the character.

*Although Kevin 11 started off as one of Ben's main villains, the sequel shows had portrayed him as redeeming himself and becoming one of Ben's comrades which had lead to another infamous debate among the fandom. Likewise, Charmcaster started off as a villain but began to go through the process of redemption in Ultimate Alien and Omniverse which had also lead to an infamous debate among the fandom. While it is true that Kevin & Charmcaster's reformations weren't shown until the sequel shows, it is worth mentioning that Man of Action (the co-creators of the franchise) have revealed that they had also planned for Kevin & Charmcaster to become less like villains and more of anti-heroes over the course of time (the link here leads to one of the members of Man of Action's comments on this). While I found myself preferring the Original Series incarnations of these characters, I still believe that the idea of them reforming has great potential but it wasn't executed as well as it could have been. Therefore, I would still incorporate the idea of Kevin & Charmcaster's reformations but would take care to make sure it is well executed.

*Omniverse had shown Hex being redeemed and even brought up the possibility of Phil Billings being redeemed (although it didn't come to pass). These are ideas that I feel have great potential and I think would be a good way to compliment the idea of Kevin & Charmcaster being redeemed. I would tweak Hex & Charmcaster's interactions in this new continuity to help in making Hex's redemption feel more organic and could see the idea of Phil becoming a mentor to Kevin in a scenario where they both reform.

*Professor Paradox, Darkstar/Michael Morningstar & Albedo are characters from Alien Force that I feel were great additions to the franchise (Michael Morningstar even appeared in the Reboot Series) and I would incorporate them into a new continuity in this hypothetical scenario.
As designs go, the more stylized the better since the aliens and not just the humans would stand apart from each other...which is one of the few redeeming qualities of Omniverse.

I don't care about the rule of 10. Ben Tennyson is 10 years old, so he just calls his superhero alter-ego Ben 10. Kevin 11 on the other hand makes it seem like there's some odd naming conspiracy. How's that for a rebooted concept of child experiments with no other id than numbers? Ofc, Ben wouldn't be one of those kids...he just stumbles upon that omnitrix as always. I do care about the omnitrix never working right and it eventually being fixed so that he can unlock every alien in the known universe with the only other caveat being he has to actually meet those aliens to store their essence like a pokedex.

The UAF era was more infamous for taking this too seriously rather than the satirical bent the original series is known for. What was really bothersome about older Ben 10's personality was that he was an intergalactic celebrity and they didn't let up on how pompous he could be. This is when Kevin's & Gwen's storylines pretty much sucked up all the air. Ben 10,000 on the other hand felt like Ben aged up, while still being mature and I guess that has more to do with him already having all the aliens he can conveniently turn to and not have to worry about the villains trying their 10,000th time to beat him.

I would just make the banter between Gwen & Ben no matter how mean-spirited be better written. There really aren't that many kid's shows with that dynamic at the forefront and especially when Gwen eventually has her own gimmick.

The unholy trinity I thought was Vilgax, Kevin & Dr. Animo. I understood the running gag with the Forever Knights, but I'd make them more formidable than background fodder to make a reboot stand out.

So, yeah Kevin Eleven would be one of those experimented kids, so that the whole mutant and alien angle could merge.

Morningstar was alright. Paradox was ingenius. Albedo felt like the lamest excuse to do the evil version when there already was an evil version.

Any who in a potential reboot, they find out about Grandpa Max much earlier and have to go on a space voyage instead of the cross country summer vacation.

DBTrilogy100

Red Arrow said:
I would be all in for a 22 minute series with the same tone as the 2005 series + the reboot Ben/Gwen relation + a brand new art style.

Reviving the original art style seems pointless to me.

That's fair, I was thinking along the lines of "If I had to pick one of the pre-existing art styles" when I was thinking over this hypothetical scenario but I wouldn't object to a different art style either.

Red Arrow said:
I kind of hate how I only like the 2005 series. I don't want to be that kind of guy. I think the reboot is "okay but meh". I would REALLY like a new Ben 10 continuity with new writers and everything.

I can understand where you're coming from, the Original Series is my favorite show from the franchise although there are still aspects from the sequel shows and the Reboot Series that I like and think some aspects from them have potential if they were to be executed well. I think part of the problem was how the sequel shows had vastly different tones from the Original Series (along with certain changes) that make it seem like the sequel shows would have worked better as being in alternate universes/continuities rather than trying to fit them in the same continuity as the Original Series which is partially what inspired me to make this thread.

Out of curiosity, are there aspects from the other shows you like even if the Original Series is your favorite show from the franchise?

AdrenalineRush1996 said:
In my continuity for the franchise, I'd have it being a high school-set series with Ben and Gwen being the main characters along with having a similar tone to the Tales of Arcadia series and the Into the Spider-Verse film.

There would be notable mythology gags to the past series (that would also include the Ultimate Alien Force series as I do like said series and characters from said series would appear in it, not to mention that I preferred Charmcaster's Scarlet Witch-inspired look from said series than her Original Series look).

I haven't heard of Tales of Arcadia before but I have seen Into the Spider-Verse, so I think I have an idea of the tone you have in mind for your continuity. I believe this is the first time I had heard of Charmcaster's UAF Era Design being a fan's favorite design for the character but I do know of some of my relatives that like the UAF Era the most. The mythology gags sound like a great way to reference past continuities, I would be interested in hearing specific examples if any came to mind for you.

Mostezli said:
As designs go, the more stylized the better since the aliens and not just the humans would stand apart from each other...which is one of the few redeeming qualities of Omniverse.

The alien designs in the Reboot Series looking very humanoid was an aspect I wasn't fond of for that show. If what I heard is to be believed, that was a result of the toy company finding the humanoid designs easier to make though I'm still not a fan of that show's alien designs.

Mostezli said:
I do care about the omnitrix never working right and it eventually being fixed so that he can unlock every alien in the known universe with the only other caveat being he has to actually meet those aliens to store their essence like a pokedex.

That concept does remind me of the Omnitrix's scanning function and sounds like a way to give that function a larger role.

Mostezli said:
The UAF era was more infamous for taking this too seriously rather than the satirical bent the original series is known for. What was really bothersome about older Ben 10's personality was that he was an intergalactic celebrity and they didn't let up on how pompous he could be. This is when Kevin's & Gwen's storylines pretty much sucked up all the air. Ben 10,000 on the other hand felt like Ben aged up, while still being mature and I guess that has more to do with him already having all the aliens he can conveniently turn to and not have to worry about the villains trying their 10,000th time to beat him.

I certainly prefer the Original Series' tone compared to the tones of the other shows, I think it struck a better balance between light hearted moments & darker moments in comparison to the other shows. I only recall the Ultimate Alien version of Ben 10,000 being the version that some fans didn't seem to like but I do remember Ben 10,000 being seen in a more favorable light by fans in general. It does seem to highlight how the transition between Ben's kid personality and Ben's adult personality has been a tricky thing to nail down in the franchise so far.

Mostezli said:
I would just make the banter between Gwen & Ben no matter how mean-spirited be better written. There really aren't that many kid's shows with that dynamic at the forefront and especially when Gwen eventually has her own gimmick.

If I'm not mistaken, is the dynamic you speak of being one between cousins? If so, I do agree that the Ben 10 Franchise is the only franchise I'm aware of that places a major focus on cousin dynamics.

Mostezli said:
The unholy trinity I thought was Vilgax, Kevin & Dr. Animo. I understood the running gag with the Forever Knights, but I'd make them more formidable than background fodder to make a reboot stand out.

I certainly understand why most fans think of Dr. Animo as a part of the unholy trinity/Ben's 3rd place arch-enemy. I think of Zs'Skayr as part of the unholy trinity due to his status as Season 3's main villain and his background as one of the Omnitrix aliens turning evil/the genetic donor of one of the Omnitrix aliens. Having said that, I would still consider Dr. Animo the most prevalent member of the rogues gallery who isn't a main villain and who isn't more so another character's enemy (such as Hex & Charmcaster being more so Gwen's enemies or how one could make the argument that Albedo & Dr. Psychobos could be considered more so Azmuth's enemies).

Your thoughts about the Forever Knights has inspired me to share my sentiments about them. I felt the UAF Era made things needlessly complicated with the decision to have the organization split into multiple factions (although I don't have anything against Sir George being the founder of the Forever Knights) and I didn't like the Reboot Series' decision to turn the Forever Knights into a single villain rather than an organization. If I were to create my own continuity, I would keep the Forever Knights more in line with their Original Series incarnation (being an evil counterpart to the Plumbers) but I would be willing to keep the concept of Sir George being the founder of the Forever Knights.

Mostezli said:
Morningstar was alright. Paradox was ingenius. Albedo felt like the lamest excuse to do the evil version when there already was an evil version.

I remember hearing rumors that Albedo was created as a jab towards fan works about Ben clones; of course, I haven't found any verification on those rumors and I'm only taking it with a grain of salt, as a result. I wouldn't be surprised if Darkstar & Albedo's creations were partially to fill the void after Kevin reformed (considering the fact that Darkstar acted as an evil counterpart to the reformed Kevin and Albedo took over the role of Ben's evil counterpart) but I still believe they have potential under the right circumstances and was disappointed by the villain decay that affected them in Ultimate Alien.

While I consider Kevin 11 to be the better evil counterpart to Ben, I still like the premise of Albedo's character (a villain who used to be one of Azmuth's assistants) and appreciated Omniverse's efforts to make him more distinct while still fitting into the evil twin trope (such as the mirrored version of Ben's UAF Era outfit & his Kid Ben form, his Omnitrix aliens having a different color palette besides red eyes and reserving the Ultimate Aliens as Albedo's "theme").

Since I would still keep Kevin & Charmcaster being redeemed in my take on a new Ben 10 continuity, I imagine Kevin & Darkstar having a dynamic similar to that of Vegeta & Frieza's dynamic in DBZ in the sense of Kevin having a willingness to team up against Darkstar; it probably helps that I remember Dwayne McDuffie mentioning he considered Darkstar to be the villain with the potential to be the most dangerous.

Mostezli said:
Any who in a potential reboot, they find out about Grandpa Max much earlier and have to go on a space voyage instead of the cross country summer vacation.

This reminds me of the galactic road trip that Ben was planning with his comrades at the end of the Omniverse series finale and I remember many fans being disappointed that it wasn't shown. It certainly sounds like a great way to expand upon the various cultures/societies of the various species in the universe.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I can understand where you're coming from, the Original Series is my favorite show from the franchise although there are still aspects from the sequel shows and the Reboot Series that I like and think some aspects from them have potential if they were to be executed well. I think part of the problem was how the sequel shows had vastly different tones from the Original Series (along with certain changes) that make it seem like the sequel shows would have worked better as being in alternate universes/continuities rather than trying to fit them in the same continuity as the Original Series which is partially what inspired me to make this thread.

Out of curiosity, are there aspects from the other shows you like even if the Original Series is your favorite show from the franchise?
I have seen the first two seasons of Alien Force and liked the serious tone, but hated how flat the characters were. They had no depth whatsoever. Every conversation felt pointless. The only good episode was X = Ben + 2, which was funny and pretty clever.

The characters finally got a personality in season 3 and Ultimate Alien, but Ben became a self centered jerk, so I stopped watching all together. I also didn't like how Kevin kept changing from good to bad.

Omniverse was a step up, but Ben was still annoying and I don't like science-fiction world-building that much... I just want to see adventures and good characters. For me, keeping the Plumbers a secret is a good thing.

The reboot is definitely the second best series. I never minded the way the original Ben and Gwen treated each other, but the reboot does it better. The only problem this series has is that the villains are wacky and not threatening, and 11 minutes is too short to tell a good action-packed story. Can we even consider it an actual action cartoon?

The thing is: I loved Generator Rex. Why didn't teenage Ben get a personality like Rex?

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

I haven't heard of Tales of Arcadia before but I have seen Into the Spider-Verse, so I think I have an idea of the tone you have in mind for your continuity. I believe this is the first time I had heard of Charmcaster's UAF Era Design being a fan's favorite design for the character but I do know of some of my relatives that like the UAF Era the most. The mythology gags sound like a great way to reference past continuities, I would be interested in hearing specific examples if any came to mind for you.
Tales of Arcadia is a Netflix/Dreamworks animated series trilogy created by Guillermo del Toro, which comprises of Trollhunters, 3 Below and Wizards plus I can definitely picture Ben and Gwen's personalities being similar to Jim and Aja's from said trilogy. It's worth a watch.

One mythology gag from the UAF era I'd have in my continuity would be having Ben's father's car sharing a similar colour scheme as his car in said era.

DBTrilogy100

Red Arrow said:
I have seen the first two seasons of Alien Force and liked the serious tone, but hated how flat the characters were. They had no depth whatsoever. Every conversation felt pointless. The only good episode was X = Ben + 2, which was funny and pretty clever.

The characters finally got a personality in season 3 and Ultimate Alien, but Ben became a self centered jerk, so I stopped watching all together. I also didn't like how Kevin kept changing from good to bad.

Omniverse was a step up, but Ben was still annoying and I don't like science-fiction world-building that much... I just want to see adventures and good characters. For me, keeping the Plumbers a secret is a good thing.

Ah, it sounds like Teen Ben's characterization was the main reason the sequel shows didn't gel with you. I can understand that as I do feel they traded one extreme for another with his characterization in Alien Force while his characterization in Ultimate Alien and Omniverse felt like a "depending on the episode" sort of situation.

My best guess for Kevin switching sides was it being the crew members/staff members' attempt at compromise to please fans of Kevin being a villain and fans of Kevin being an anti-hero; I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to go for a Lizard/Curt Connors approach for Kevin (a character who can be an ally or an enemy depending on the situation).

Red Arrow said:
The reboot is definitely the second best series. I never minded the way the original Ben and Gwen treated each other, but the reboot does it better. The only problem this series has is that the villains are wacky and not threatening, and 11 minutes is too short to tell a good action-packed story. Can we even consider it an actual action cartoon?

From what I was able to gather, the 11 minute episodes and wacky tone were the result of mandates from the executives at Cartoon Network because that is the trend of the shows that are on the network at the moment. Essentially, the crew members/staff members have to make the best with the mandates that they have been given by the executives.

Red Arrow said:
The thing is: I loved Generator Rex. Why didn't teenage Ben get a personality like Rex?

The important thing to keep in mind is that the Original Series, the Reboot Series and the crossover with Generator Rex are the only entries in the Ben 10 Franchise that Man of Action were actually involved in to a significant/major extent despite the fact that they are the co-creators of the franchise. A different group of crew members/staff members were behind Alien Force, Ultimate Alien and Omniverse which is why those shows had very different tones and significant changes & retcons.

AdrenalineRush1996 said:
Tales of Arcadia is a Netflix/Dreamworks animated series trilogy created by Guillermo del Toro, which comprises of Trollhunters, 3 Below and Wizards plus I can definitely picture Ben and Gwen's personalities being similar to Jim and Aja's from said trilogy. It's worth a watch.

My thanks for the clarifications and the suggestion, it sounds like it will help having a better idea of how your continuity's tone would feel.

AdrenalineRush1996 said:
One mythology gag from the UAF era I'd have in my continuity would be having Ben's father's car sharing a similar colour scheme as his car in said era.

That's a clever mythology gag and it also doubles as a way to acknowledge the franchise's green color motif. You've certainly peeked my interest in learning more about your continuity.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I had no idea. I thought there were involved in all series. Thanks for telling me.

DBTrilogy100

Red Arrow said:
I had no idea. I thought there were involved in all series. Thanks for telling me.

I can understand the confusion since Man of Action still received the "created by" mention in the credits. From what I understand, it seems as though Man of Action's involvement with the sequel series was limited to the initial meetings where they talked about the general premise of each show with the people who ended up being the show runners for the sequel shows with Omniverse having different show runners compared to the UAF Era (it sounds a lot like how Akira Toriyama was present for the initial meetings about DBGT's premise and provided some initial sketches but was otherwise hands off).

In any case, it is nice to know that I was able to let you (and possibly others) know about Man of Action not really being involved with the sequel shows in a significant/major way; it sounds like that helped explain certain sentiments some may have regarding the different shows of the franchise.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

As a Black Friday offer, CBS All Access is offering new customers a 30 day free trial. To redeem the offer, use code TURKEY.
Happy 10th anniversary Tangled.

Jada Pinkett Smith's new animated short "Cops and Robbers" nearly ended up on Nick rather than Netflix Jada Pinkett Smith on Police Brutality and Animated Short ‘Cops and Robbers’ (EXCLUSIVE)
What's up with Mattel's fondness with Scare Glow in new Masters of the Universe merchandise? Maybe because he's a FREAKING SKELETON THAT GLOWS IN THE DARK, which is more toyetic than a guy with just a skull for a face, like Skeletor.