How will CBS/Viacom handle streaming animated content?

The Overlord

It looks like CBS and Viacom will be merging in the near future.

How will CBS and Viacom stream their animated content in the future? This article mentions CBS All Access and Pluto TV:

Also, CBS is investing in more animated content:

CBS All Access Adding Children’s Programming; ‘Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs’, ‘Danger Mouse’, ‘Inspector Gadget’ Among Content

At the moment CBS is putting most of its content on CBS All Acess (while making new animated content, like Star Trek: Lower Decks) while Viacom is putting some stuff on Pluto TV and making animated content for Netflix. Though apparently Showtime has its own streaming service so any animated content they have would be put there.

So will CBS continue to show their content on CBS All Access, while Viacom shows their content on Pluto TV or will everything be merged on to one platform? Will Viacom keep making stuff for Netflix or focus exclusively on CBS All Access/Viacom platforms?

Perhaps Nickelodeon will no longer send animated shows that do not reach Spongbob numbers to die on the vine over at Nicktoons if these streaming services need more animated content to thrive.

The Overlord

Viacom sold the streaming rights for South Park to HBO Max for a mint:

Perhaps Viacom will just lincese its content to bigger players in the streaming world, instead of trying to be a player itself.

Dudley

Staff member
Perhaps Viacom will just lincese its content to bigger players in the streaming world, instead of trying to be a player itself.

I read an article where they plan on doing that, as well as creating a division dedicated to making content on multiple platforms.
After all: “if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em”.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

The Overlord

I read an article where they plan on doing that, as well as creating a division dedicated to making content on multiple platforms.

But that may make CBS All Access and Pluto TV less attractive, considering Viacom is selling it's best content to other streaming services. It seems like they are trying to sell CBS All Access on Star Trek mostly (though they bought the rights to some animated fare like Danger Mouse and the Cloudy With a Chance of Meat Balls). That may not be enough to thrive when WB is throwing everything into HBO Max and Disney and Universal are creating streaming services that will have most of their content.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dragnatek

More like if you can't beat them, profit off them.

LinusFan303

Squeak
It would be nice if they did continue to have their content on other places, it's nice to have Rugrats and other older older nicktoons on Hulu, etc. Eveyone having their own streaming service is a little much, it might work for them to not try to join that fray and make money by selling rights.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
The 90's stuff. The stuff currently on NickSplat now.
I see but I think the NickSplat streaming channel could likely move from VRV to Pluto TV, though yes, I know Viacom CBS' Pluto TV and Sony's Crackle aren't comparable to Warner Media's HBO Max, Disney's Disney+ and Comcast's Peacock in terms of streaming services owned by the Big Five studios.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.
Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts