How will CBS/Viacom handle streaming animated content?

Latest News & Videos

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
It looks like CBS and Viacom will be merging in the near future.

How will CBS and Viacom stream their animated content in the future? This article mentions CBS All Access and Pluto TV:

Also, CBS is investing in more animated content:

CBS All Access Adding Children’s Programming; ‘Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs’, ‘Danger Mouse’, ‘Inspector Gadget’ Among Content

At the moment CBS is putting most of its content on CBS All Acess (while making new animated content, like Star Trek: Lower Decks) while Viacom is putting some stuff on Pluto TV and making animated content for Netflix. Though apparently Showtime has its own streaming service so any animated content they have would be put there.

So will CBS continue to show their content on CBS All Access, while Viacom shows their content on Pluto TV or will everything be merged on to one platform? Will Viacom keep making stuff for Netflix or focus exclusively on CBS All Access/Viacom platforms?

Perhaps Nickelodeon will no longer send animated shows that do not reach Spongbob numbers to die on the vine over at Nicktoons if these streaming services need more animated content to thrive.

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Viacom sold the streaming rights for South Park to HBO Max for a mint:

Perhaps Viacom will just lincese its content to bigger players in the streaming world, instead of trying to be a player itself.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
Perhaps Viacom will just lincese its content to bigger players in the streaming world, instead of trying to be a player itself.
I read an article where they plan on doing that, as well as creating a division dedicated to making content on multiple platforms.
After all: “if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em”.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
I read an article where they plan on doing that, as well as creating a division dedicated to making content on multiple platforms.

But that may make CBS All Access and Pluto TV less attractive, considering Viacom is selling it's best content to other streaming services. It seems like they are trying to sell CBS All Access on Star Trek mostly (though they bought the rights to some animated fare like Danger Mouse and the Cloudy With a Chance of Meat Balls). That may not be enough to thrive when WB is throwing everything into HBO Max and Disney and Universal are creating streaming services that will have most of their content.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dragnatek

Apr 21, 2011
Hammond IN

More like if you can't beat them, profit off them.

LinusFan303

A Fan of Linus Van Pelt.
Mar 26, 2018
Colorado
It would be nice if they did continue to have their content on other places, it's nice to have Rugrats and other older older nicktoons on Hulu, etc. Eveyone having their own streaming service is a little much, it might work for them to not try to join that fray and make money by selling rights.

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
I could see HBO Max getting the classic Nick shows. They're on VRV now (which WarnerMedia owns).
By classic Nick shows, you mean their content before the Nineties, by which they began doing Nicktoons or classic Nicktoons? Just curious.

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
The 90's stuff. The stuff currently on NickSplat now.
I see but I think the NickSplat streaming channel could likely move from VRV to Pluto TV, though yes, I know Viacom CBS' Pluto TV and Sony's Crackle aren't comparable to Warner Media's HBO Max, Disney's Disney+ and Comcast's Peacock in terms of streaming services owned by the Big Five studios.

Last edited: