How many shows were directly "killed" by the Children's Television Act?

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Quite honestly, you can consider most of the shows that aired on CBS in 1996-1997 to be victims of this, as the Children's Television Act, combined with CBS dropping two hours of their cartoon lineup in favor of news, resulted in a huge overhauls of their Saturday morning lineup the following year.

jaylop97

Staff member
Most original programming that aired in a channel block were the victims of this act, if it didn't happen then it would slowly lead to it.

mimitchi33

Lovely, in my most wonderful way!
Sailor Moon added the Sailor Says segment to comply with the act, but was never rated E/I for whatever reason. A few years earlier, ABC aired CTW's Cro and Jim Henson's CityKids, which were educational shows made to fulfill the CTA. And as we all know, Histeria! was made for the sole purpose of fulfilling the E/I requirement.

hobbyfan

When Kim Possible aired on ABC, it was not designated E/I, and aired at noon, where it was prone to pre-emption for sports. Fillmore aired 3 hours earlier, was an E/I show, and lasted 2 1/2 seasons before being cancelled abruptly in favor of reruns of Even Stevens. The CTA reinforced what we already knew, that the networks still had to provide educational content in their Saturday programming, and that was until they all threw in the towel and said, screw that.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Another show who had fallen victim of this was short-lived "The Weird Al Show".
I wouldn't say that show fell victim of the CTA, as the show did manage to insert content that would give it the E/I rating (although, if you mean by victim of executive meddling because of it, then I could see what you mean). Rather, its problem had more to do with the how crappy CBS and the local stations handled the scheduling of the show and other programs during the 1997-1998 season (in my area, Weird Al didn't air until Sunday, and a number of shows like Wheel 2000 didn't even air at all).

ToonJay723

Staff member
Basically any non-educational show airing on ABC or CBS, as they didn't have a weekday block to use for their three hours.

Sailor Moon added the Sailor Says segment to comply with the act, but was never rated E/I for whatever reason.
Sailor Moon aired in America before the CTA. The Sailor Says bits were just there to appease moral guardians. G.I. Joe, Jem and the Holograms, and The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog also had them.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
When Kim Possible aired on ABC, it was not designated E/I, and aired at noon, where it was prone to pre-emption for sports. Fillmore aired 3 hours earlier, was an E/I show, and lasted 2 1/2 seasons before being cancelled abruptly in favor of reruns of Even Stevens. The CTA reinforced what we already knew, that the networks still had to provide educational content in their Saturday programming, and that was until they all threw in the towel and said, screw that.
There was a time where KP was in syndication, at least KEYE in Austin aired it.

mimitchi33

Lovely, in my most wonderful way!
Must've been in limited markets, because there wasn't any syndication in upstate NY at that point.
I don't recall any syndicated airings in New York. Maybe it was either a test run or they showed ABC Kids programs on a CBS station (this has happened with Litton's Weekend Adventure and Kids' WB programs-in my area, they played Fox Kids and Kids WB on the same channel during its' last years!)

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
The funny thing is: the CTA was an attempt by the FCC to beat back all the toy-based hyper-commercial programs that proliferated through the 1980's, which were a direct result of the FCC relaxing regulations on such programs in the first place. First they broke it, then their "fix" made it worse.

Rabbitearsblog

Do you think that because of the Children's Television Act, Saturday Morning cartoon blocks had become obsolete at this point (well, except for Kids Click, which is actually running every morning).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts