How many episodes is ideal for a series?

Latest News & Videos

I.R. Shokew

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
I'm always looking for a good beginning, middle, and end. More importantly, don't drag things out or move too slowly when you know you've got a story to tell. It's not that simple, but it shouldn't be that hard to do, either. It's all about planning things out and not making stuff up as you go along.

A lot of shows I've seen as of late (Star Vs. And Steven Universe being major examples for me.) do that and it sucks, IHMO.

Mikurotoro92

Banned
Jun 17, 2015
50 or 60

That way your show doesn't run the risk of overstaying its welcome!

Many of the classic cartoons did that and worked out better than the long-running stuff

JoeMabbon

Absentee Guildpact
Aug 8, 2014
Ravnica
As everyone is kinda saying, 65-episodes may be the ideal. Action shows and Adventure series really start to drag if they go beyond this. Many cartoons have only the barest of long-term plans beyond 65 episodes and while pure comedy can afford to wing it and just throw spaghetti against the wall, if you have a concrete setting with rules with defined characters it just doesn’t work. People get invested in the story and the characters and disappointment almost becomes inevitable. The writers start spinning their wheels with filler and/or fall into introducing ever more oulandish “twists” to keep things fresh.

I.R. Shokew

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
I'll admit the only time I'm OK with something going on longer than a certain limit is if it is slapstick comedy or an animated sitcom/Sol joint I happen to like (like Dan Vs., Bob's Burgers, sometimes Rick & Morty, etc.). However, that doesn't mean you go on forever. Have an endgame so you don't become a zombie, shambling around with nothing worthwhile to say for yourself.

Reactions: JoeMabbon

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
65 episodes is ideal. That's when you get enough episodes to go comfortably into syndication (airing weekdays or weeknights).

TV channels used to order episodes in 13 episode batches. Sometimes 26 episodes, if you know it's going to be a sure fire hit. Examples: Cartoon Network ordered 26 episodes of Justice League up front, whereas Kids WB only ordered 13 episodes of Batman Beyond, at first. On the other hand, Fox Kids ordered a full 65 episodes of Batman the Animated Series up front (but they purposefully wanted episodes to air on weekday afternoons, after school).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The teaser is good. The comments saying "Release The Snyder Cut" are not.
Is the concept of good scheduling just dead at this point, I'm looking at PlutoTv and most of the time they just got the same show on repeat.
As someone who just got into Usagi Yojimbo, I am so hyped for the cartoon.
Saw the Descendants short Audrey's Royal Return. I will not miss this franchise. That was a disaster.
I'd tell Pumpkin Spice to go back where he came from but I'm not sure he'd still fit in the bottom of an outhouse.