How do you feel about fans having more of a say in franchise's direction?

Rabbitearsblog

Lately, there has been many fandoms trying to change either the direction or the fates of certain movie or TV show properties, such as the fans ultimately saving "Brooklyn Nine Nine" from being cancelled and petitions being sent out to have a remake film of "Star Wars: The Last Jedi."

What do you think about the fans possibly having a say over what happens with the franchise? Do you think it's a good or bad thing?

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
I'm of two minds of this:

Fans don't own a franchise/entertainment company/etc., and if creators listened to whatever fans wanted and always did what they said, it wouldn't be very good (The "If you try to please everybody, you please nobody" line of thought).

But then again, the people running these companies should at least listen to legitimate, constructive complaints, thoughts, and suggestions and not paint all those who don't like something as whining man babies, like the current management at Lucasfilm is doing when they receive complaints about The Last Jedi. Because ridiculing your fanbase/customers does nothing for you or your bottom line.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I think it's a mixed bag. In some cases, I think it can help the creative team behind shows and movies figure out what fans would want to see and find ways to appeal to them while still maintaining what they want to do with the story. That can be a tight rope to climb through, especially when they can't please everyone, but it can help to make their shows/movies more successful.

On the other hand, I also think it can be risky because they shouldn't just listen to fan demands. Their own desires for the story and characters can get lost in the shuffle if they focus just on appealing to fans. Plus, I don't think that creative teams owe fans exactly. They should still strive for putting out the best material possible, but I don't think that fans are owed everything they want out of a franchise. Their vision may not match with what fans want and they shouldn't have to change things around because of fan backlash. That is a big issue with Star Wars fans, at least from my outsider's perspective.

I'm not a Star Wars person, so I can't comment on the quality of The Last Jedi or almost any of the other movies for that matter. I will say that demanding a remake of The Last Jedi is absolutely ridiculous and stupid. I can understand not being satisfied or happy with the direction the movie took to a degree, but just because you didn't like it doesn't give you the right to demand a new movie that satisfies the fanbase or to harass actors from the movie off of social media. If you don't like the movie, then just stick with the other movies available. I'm sure that there is a ton of Star Wars stuff around even if you want to ignore the new trilogy in the process. It is good to try to appeal to fans, but toxic fanbases like the Star Wars fanbase are a big reason why fans shouldn't have full control over where a franchise goes.

Rabbitearsblog

I think it's a mixed bag. In some cases, I think it can help the creative team behind shows and movies figure out what fans would want to see and find ways to appeal to them while still maintaining what they want to do with the story. That can be a tight rope to climb through, especially when they can't please everyone, but it can help to make their shows/movies more successful.

On the other hand, I also think it can be risky because they shouldn't just listen to fan demands. Their own desires for the story and characters can get lost in the shuffle if they focus just on appealing to fans. Plus, I don't think that creative teams owe fans exactly. They should still strive for putting out the best material possible, but I don't think that fans are owed everything they want out of a franchise. Their vision may not match with what fans want and they shouldn't have to change things around because of fan backlash. That is a big issue with Star Wars fans, at least from my outsider's perspective.

I'm not a Star Wars person, so I can't comment on the quality of The Last Jedi or almost any of the other movies for that matter. I will say that demanding a remake of The Last Jedi is absolutely ridiculous and stupid. I can understand not being satisfied or happy with the direction the movie took to a degree, but just because you didn't like it doesn't give you the right to demand a new movie that satisfies the fanbase or to harass actors from the movie off of social media. If you don't like the movie, then just stick with the other movies available. I'm sure that there is a ton of Star Wars stuff around even if you want to ignore the new trilogy in the process. It is good to try to appeal to fans, but toxic fanbases like the Star Wars fanbase are a big reason why fans shouldn't have full control over where a franchise goes.

I agree with everything you said. I'm also not a huge Star Wars fan myself. Actually, I still haven't watched any of the Star Wars films yet. But the fact that the fans are saying that Disney should remake the Last Jedi just because they didn't like the direction the movie took is a bit ridiculous because if Disney wanted to take the franchise in that direction, then they should be allowed to do so, even if the fans don't agree with it. If the fans don't like the direction of the current Star Wars films, then they can always watch the original trilogy instead.

Dudley

Staff member
I agree that the Star Wars remake idea is a horrible one.

First off, having fans have input in the direction of a story leads to disaster. The fans, which there are a lot of, aren’t going to have a clear unified vision of what they think the best Star Wars Movie should be, leading to the project NEVER getting off the ground, as fans will eventually create factions and then we’ll end up with multiple fan-made remakes, or, most likely, give up entirely.

Second of all, if a fan-run remake is made and is open to all fans to help develop it, how will the end result be enjoyable if everyone knows exactly how it’ll turn out? The entire development process, and every idea to the minute detail will be publicly known before the film’s even released, ruining any surprise or suspense!

But seriously though, from a person who’s not into Star Wars, what’s wrong with The Last Jedi?

Anyhoo, fans should rest easy knowing that if Episode IX bombs, Disney will have no choice but to re-evaluate their plans for the franchise, including taking the complaints into consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rabbitearsblog

I agree that the Star Wars remake idea is a horrible one.

First off, having fans have input in the direction of a story leads to disaster. The fans, which there are a lot of, aren’t going to have a clear unified vision of what they think the best Star Wars Movie should be, leading to the project NEVER getting off the ground, as fans will eventually create factions and then we’ll end up with multiple fan-made remakes, or, most likely, give up entirely.

Second of all, if a fan-run remake is made and is open to all fans to help develop it, how will the end result be enjoyable if everyone knows exactly how it’ll turn out? The entire development process, and every idea to the minute detail will be publicly known before the film’s even released, ruining any surprise or suspense!

But seriously though, from a person who’s not into Star Wars, what’s wrong with The Last Jedi?

Anyhoo, fans should rest easy knowing that if Episode IX bombs, Disney will have no choice but to re-evaluate their plans for the franchise, including taking the complaints into consideration.

I agree with this. Sometimes having a fan helm film can be disastrous, especially if the fans have different ideas about how to make the perfect ending for a Star Wars film. If the fans had a say in how the Last Jedi should go, then I bet that the film will be a mess because there will be different opinions about how the movie should go and the creators would be trying too hard to please everyone. I think Disney should only remake the Star Wars movies and actually get some fan input if the films start doing horribly in the near future.

Dudley

Staff member
Exactly.
How is Disney’s going to think anything is wrong if the main series films have both made over a billion dollars.
Lot of people are using Solo’s performance as a sign, but with a troubled production, and being released too soon after TLJ, i believe franchise fatigue is setting in.
I noticed the past that each installment in a trilogy was released three years apart. Maybe they should release a main series film and alternate with an anthology film every 18 months.

Rabbitearsblog

Exactly.
How is Disney’s going to think anything is wrong if the main series films have both made over a billion dollars.
Lot of people are using Solo’s performance as a sign, but with a troubled production, and being released too soon after TLJ, i believe franchise fatigue is setting in.
I noticed the past that each installment in a trilogy was released three years apart. Maybe they should release a main series film and alternate with an anthology film every 18 months.

Exactly. I think that Disney should have released a Star Wars film every few years or so instead of every year. You could make the same argument about the MCU films as they are being released every year. But the difference with that is that each MCU film features a different character in each installment, such as last year, it had featured characters like Thor, Spider-Man and the Guardians of the Galaxy in their movies Thor Ragnarok, Spider-man: Homecoming and Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2. And in 2018, so far we have characters like Black Panther and the Avengers being featured in their films Black Panther and Avengers: Infinity War. Therefore, the MCU is able to change up the lineups they featured in each film and remain on top of the box office without getting stale.

The thing with Star Wars however is the fact that they keep on releasing the same type of Star Wars film every year and it's getting tiresome with a lot of people. If Disney had released the Star Wars films like do a main movie for one year and then the next year, have it be a solo film about one of the characters, they might be able to avoid the fatigue from the audience.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Last Jedi is great. Anyone who think Carrie Fisher's last role ever needs to be knocked out of the canon needs their heads examined.

Also fans should have zero say in how a franchise progresses. It's because current comic books are taking their leads from adult fans which is why current comic books are now atrocious. I'd feel better about the idea of fandom directing writing trends if current fandom wasn't so misogynistic and enjoyed violence and depravity so much.

Stand by your creations, creators. If the creation is good, it will be remembered that way in the long run. If you need fans to tell you how to tell your own story, it probably isn't worth telling in the first place.

Rabbitearsblog

The Last Jedi is great. Anyone who think Carrie Fisher's last role ever needs to be knocked out of the canon needs their heads examined.

Also fans should have zero say in how a franchise progresses. It's because current comic books are taking their leads from adult fans which is why current comic books are now atrocious. I'd feel better about the idea of fandom directing writing trends if current fandom wasn't so misogynistic and enjoyed violence and depravity so much.

Stand by your creations, creators. If the creation is good, it will be remembered that way in the long run. If you need fans to tell you how to tell your own story, it probably isn't worth telling in the first place.

I agree that having the fandom tell your own story is probably not worth telling because it's not your story. It would be the story that the fans came up with instead of a story that you worked so hard to get on the big screen, even if you know that not everyone is going to love the story you are telling.

the greenman

I think the precedence of saving a TV series goes back to the original 60's Star Trek. Since then it's been hit or miss with stuff. Should we have more of a say on things. I think we ultimately do. . . with our dollars.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.

Featured Posts