How do various platforms that host animation (Netflix, Cartoon Network, Disney Channel and Nickelodeon) compare on how they treat animation?

The Overlord

How do the various platforms that host animation (Netflix, Cartoon Network, Disney Channel and Nickelodeon) compare in terms of how they treat animation?

I am going to rank Netflix on the top, not only have they made decent commitments to animated series like Voltron, She-Ra, Carmen Sandiego, etc but they also rescued projects like Castlevania and Klaus and supported some experimental projects like Love, Death + Robots. Also, the fact that they are the biggest streaming service running currently gives them an advantage over everyone else, kids today spend more time online over watching traditional TV is an advantage. They are not perfect though, they did screw over Tuca and Bertie and 12 Forever.

Second would be Cartoon Network, sure people complain about them over showing Teen Titans Go and in the PowerPuff Girls reboot sucks, but they gave big commitments to Steven Universe and Adventure Time, gave K.O Lets Be Heroes a decent run and has some interesting new stuff airing on the network.

Disney Channel/Disney XD comes in third, but it is a close second with Cartoon Network. Sure Cartoon Network airs animation all the time, while Disney Channel does not, but Disney has made interesting content recently, like Gravity Falls, also Duck Tales moved from Disney XD to Disney Channel. Star vs. The Forces of Evil had a disappointing ending but did get a solid commitment from Disney. They also have interesting new content on Disney Channel like Owl House and Amphibia. However, Disney should lose points on how it has made every Disney cartoon, besides Big Hero 6, since 2013.

Dead last is Nickelodeon/Nicktoons, which seems to have disdain towards animation. Nicktoons is treated as a graveyard for animation and perfectly good series are sent there to die (like Harvey Beaks, Welcome to the Wayne, Rise of the TMNT, etc.) Disney treats Disney XD better than Viacom treats Nicktoons. Really in the last decade, aside from Spongebob, what cartoons as it treated well, TMNT 2012 and The Loud House and its spin-offs? Really I think Glitch Tech is better off on Netflix over Nickelodeon.

Do you agree with my rankings or do you have a different opinion?

Last edited:

TheJLeeTeam

Slacker Musketeer
I don’t know about Netflix and how they host animation but I definitely agree with the rank for the channels.

Most Cartoon Network originals are presented pretty well especially Adventure Time, they did a fantastic job presenting it early on. Most of their promos aren’t the best but are still unique. Disney Channel recently has done a brilliant job presenting some of their new cartoons as well.

So how Nickelodeon hosts animation? Sigh... Well let’s put it this way.
I remember seeing the early promos for Harvey Beaks and well they flat out sucked. They presented it like it’s just another generic comedy and failed to highlight what made the show so special. The promos reeked of “We don’t know what this is or what to do with it”. I’m sure other Nicktoons also got poor presentation. Nick puts way more effort in promoting and presenting ratings stunt specials for SpongeBob and their kidcoms than most new Nicktoons.

The Overlord

I don’t know about Netflix and how they host animation but I definitely agree with the rank for the channels.

Most Cartoon Network originals are presented pretty well especially Adventure Time, they did a fantastic job presenting it early on. Most of their promos aren’t the best but are still unique. Disney Channel recently has done a brilliant job presenting some of their new cartoons as well.

So how Nickelodeon hosts animation? Sigh... Well let’s put it this way.
I remember seeing the early promos for Harvey Beaks and well they flat out sucked. They presented it like it’s just another generic comedy and failed to highlight what made the show so special. The promos reeked of “We don’t know what this is or what to do with it”. I’m sure other Nicktoons also got poor presentation. Nick puts way more effort in promoting and presenting ratings stunt specials for SpongeBob and their kidcoms than most new Nicktoons.

Regarding Netflix, I think it is sparking an animation revival and that is getting rivals like Amazon to invest in animation:

It's not perfect, it relies on algorithms and shows could become lost in its library of content and it did screw over 2 animated shows: 12 Forever and Tuca and Bertie. But is hosting the most experimental animation out there.

Frankly I think a show like Glitch Tech is better off on Netflix than Nickelodeon.

Rainbowkid37

What About Qubo, PBS, and Discovery Family?

Qubo Seems to Have More Variety With Classics Such as Madeline or Babar and, Modern Shows Such as Mike the Knight and Rainbow Ruby. (Though Some Shows Such as Jane and The Dragon and Being Ian are Commonly Mistreated)

PBS is Decent When it Comes to Treating Their Shows. Shows Such as Nature Cat, Molly of Denali and Xavier Riddle are Treated Nicely and Older Shows Such as Arthur, SciGirls and (Thankfully) Caillou are Often Mistreated.

and Discovery is WORSE THAN NICK FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! Because They Seem to Mistreat ALL Of Their Shows Except for My Little Pony. Hanizuki Was Removed In Favor for a 30 Minute Toy ad (Poples) and Bootleg Shimmer and Shine (Luna Petua Is That What It's Called?) MLP is Basically Discovery's TTG.

TheJLeeTeam

Slacker Musketeer
What About Qubo, PBS, and Discovery Family?

Qubo Seems to Have More Variety With Classics Such as Madeline or Babar and, Modern Shows Such as Mike the Knight and Rainbow Ruby. (Though Some Shows Such as Jane and The Dragon and Being Ian are Commonly Mistreated)

PBS is Decent When it Comes to Treating Their Shows. Shows Such as Nature Cat, Molly of Denali and Xavier Riddle are Treated Nicely and Older Shows Such as Arthur, SciGirls and (Thankfully) Caillou are Often Mistreated.

and Discovery is WORSE THAN NICK FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! Because They Seem to Mistreat ALL Of Their Shows Except for My Little Pony. Hanizuki Was Removed In Favor for a 30 Minute Toy ad (Poples) and Bootleg Shimmer and Shine (Luna Petua Is That What It's Called?) MLP is Basically Discovery's TTG.

I don’t keep up with Qubo but it appears to be just an archive for various older shows they don’t really air new content. They do air imports but that’s it.

PBS Kids both on the PBS and 24/7 channels have a decent variety depending in your area and consistently put out new shows. They still have Arthur and Cyberchase but at least they don’t over rely on them.

Discovery Family is definitely worse than Nick. As MLP seems to be the only cartoon they care about, even though FIM ended it still gets plenty of reruns. The Hub started strong but after it rebranded it really went downhill. But while Hub/Discovery Family was pretty good for it’s first few years, Nick was consistently terrible for the entirety of the 2010’s.

Orange Mo

orangemo
How do the various platforms that host animation (Netflix, Cartoon Network, Disney Channel and Nickelodeon) compare in terms of how they treat animation?

I am going to rank Netflix on the top, not only have they made decent commitments to animated series like Voltron, She-Ra, Carmen Sandiego, etc but they also rescued projects like Castlevania and Klaus and supported some experimental projects like Love, Death + Robots. Also, the fact that they are the biggest streaming service running currently gives them an advantage over everyone else, kids today spend more time online over watching traditional TV is an advantage. They are not perfect though, they did screw over Tuca and Bertie and 12 Forever.

Second would be Cartoon Network, sure people complain about them over showing Teen Titans Go and in the PowerPuff Girls reboot sucks, but they gave big commitments to Steven Universe and Adventure Time, gave K.O Lets Be Heroes a decent run and has some interesting new stuff airing on the network.

Disney Channel/Disney XD comes in third, but it is a close second with Cartoon Network. Sure Cartoon Network airs animation all the time, while Disney Channel does not, but Disney has made interesting content recently, like Gravity Falls, also Duck Tales moved from Disney XD to Disney Channel. Star vs. The Forces of Evil had a disappointing ending but did get a solid commitment from Disney. They also have interesting new content on Disney Channel like Owl House and Amphibia. However, Disney should lose points on how it has made every Disney cartoon, besides Big Hero 6, since 2013.

Dead last is Nickelodeon/Nicktoons, which seems to have disdain towards animation. Nicktoons is treated as a graveyard for animation and perfectly good series are sent there to die (like Harvey Beaks, Welcome to the Wayne, Rise of the TMNT, etc.) Disney treats Disney XD better than Viacom treats Nicktoons. Really in the last decade, aside from Spongebob, what cartoons as it treated well, TMNT 2012 and The Loud House and its spin-offs? Really I think Glitch Tech is better off on Netflix over Nickelodeon.

Do you agree with my rankings or do you have a different opinion?

You forgot about Fox.

How to Make Money as a Kid 2

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I don't want a Playstation 5 for all of the new "next gen" games coming, I just want a PS5 so I can just play my PS4 games without my PS4 console sounding like a rocket engine blasting off. (...So tired of seeing the PS5's sold out everywhere....)
Who remembers playing the iCarly game Pack-Rat (Pac-Man clone)on the Nick website? Those were great memories
Was "Mega Man: Fully Charged" ever dubbed in foreign languages?

That thread reached 1000 posts, someone or any admin please lock that thread.
Am I hearing this right? Nick USA not airing SpongeBob SquarePants for a day? Am I dreaming?

Featured Posts