How did Teen Titans Go get so popular?

hobbyfan

The original Teen Titans couldn't create a decent filler episode to save its life. And considering about 2/3rds of the series was filler, that was a blow.

In the words of Wayne Campbell, "Exsqueeze me? Baking powder?"

The 2003 Teen Titans was closer in concept & scope to the comics than this overplayed parody that's out now, spammed into the ground seven days a week because Chumptoon Network programmers are too lazy to find something to complement it, instead of letting Teen Titans Go! dominate the schedule the way it has the last few years.

johnnybro2883

Brony, Furry and FIM forever
The original Teen Titans couldn't create a decent filler episode to save its life. And considering about 2/3rds of the series was filler, that was a blow.

But Teen titans was actually funny and cyborg was the best character and now cyborg is not funny but annoying

Otaku-sempai

This sort of opinion makes me laugh. It's really not. Teen Titans Go! has its problems but the original series was outright stinky.
That is your subjective opinion, Matt, not indisputable fact. Let's not forget that Teen Titans was intended for a pre-teen audience; it was never meant to be as relatively sophisticated as the New Teen Titans upon which it was based. The show was perfectly fine for what it was. Teen Titans Go! is made for an even younger demographic--and it shows, though there are certainly nods to the older viewers.

Batboy84

"X", "Sisters", "Switched", "Mad Mod", "Fear Itself", "Transformation", "Only Human", and "Betrothed" come to mind just from skimming the episode list. Heck, "Nevermore" and "Haunted" qualify as filler. I'm not going to fault you for disliking the show, your opinion is your opinion, but I would like to hear your reasoning, assuming we haven't already gotten off-topic enough as it is.
But Teen titans was actually funny and cyborg was the best character and now cyborg is not funny but annoying
But that's your opinion too. Remember, just because you think it's not funny doesn't mean he, or anyone else for that matter, can't think it is. I found myself laughing from the show once or twice, problem was I found it more annoying than funny most of the time.

Zorak Masaki

It is odd that a parody is more popular than the source material though. It would be like if Spider-Ham ended up overtaking Spidey in popularity.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I think it's on the decline now. It peaked with the recent movie, or maybe even before the movie. So it does feel like it's time to ask "how did it get so popular?", in a "looking back" context...

The answer: Cartoon Network stopped caring about variety around 2015....

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
That is your subjective opinion, Matt, not indisputable fact.
I never pretend anything I ever say regarding television is anything but. Don't let anyone else tell you different. ;)
"X", "Sisters", "Switched", "Mad Mod", "Fear Itself", "Transformation", "Only Human", and "Betrothed" come to mind just from skimming the episode list. Heck, "Nevermore" and "Haunted" qualify as filler. I'm not going to fault you for disliking the show, your opinion is your opinion, but I would like to hear your reasoning, assuming we haven't already gotten off-topic enough as it is.
X was absolutely terrible, Sisters was boring as hell, Mad Mod doesn't hold up, Transformation was unfunny, and Only Human was lame. Switched, Fear Itself and Betrothed aren't actually terrible, I'll give you that. Although I never was really crazy about Nevermore or Haunted.

Come to think of it, I CAN think of a great filler episode: "Can I Keep Him?". I can't believe I forget that one. It's one of my favorites.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Stay on topic. Let's not digress too much with reviewing Teen Titans.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts