Hot Wheels "Acceleracers: Ignition" Talkback (Spoilers)

Did Acceleracers: Ignition rev up your excitement level?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 42.9%

Votes: 1 14.3%

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

William C. Maune

TZ News Editor in Chief
toonami.jpg
Hot Wheels "Acceleracers: Ignition"

Leading the way! Hot Wheels returns to Toonami tonight with the first part of a movie series that will air over the coming months. This is the official Talkback thread for the Hot Wheels feature "Acceleracer: Ignition" airing on Toonami January 8th at 6.5 PM (5.5 Central), half an hour earlier than the usual Toonami start time. Taking on the most wicked course the world has seen and comment on this episode!

In the previous Hot Wheels OAV, specially chosen racers took on the treacherous Highway 35, an alien course with a secret prize at its finished. It took more than just their driving skills to survive as another nefarious group was also after the prize. The world was saved for the time being, but will we see any of the previous heroes or villains again? Tune in to find out. Only Toonami.

The next chapter of Acceleracers is supposed to air later this year. Duel Masters will be back on in its usual timeslot next week.

Spoilers: This thread is intended for discussion of the feature and thus spoilers are likely to abound in this thread. Thus, if you have not yet watched the presentation and you would not like to be spoiled, it is recommended that you stay out of the thread.

If you would like to purchase Hot Wheels: World Race on the cheap, we recommend shopping Amazon.

Duke

Truer Words Were Never Spoken
Sweet! Those Transformer-esque robots from a while ago!

Whoa! What the hell happened to Marky!? He's been downing steroids faster than Barry Bonds! [/rimshot]

Dude! The Wheel Of Power went from Fortune to Stargate! Awesomeness!

Rabi~en~Rose

idolmaster
I share Dukes excitement :) this is corny but fun so far its to bad the goodguys lost the first race though. that weasley sounding guy needs to go though

Duke

They're incorporating the Hot Wheels toys a LOT better this time around.

And now we have our Back to the Future reference (88PM), our Jumanji reference (the giant insect poking in the car), and now our Jurassic Park reference (the all-purpose animal sound effects). What else is next?

Rabi~en~Rose

idolmaster
that swamp track is way cool with lots more details then the first and way better hazards! those mean robots lose the second race which is good! creepy foreshadowing in the end :eek: wonder could it be that no ones ever seen? with more episodes to this in coming later in the year things should only get better :)

Fresh V

Stand By Me
This was great!! The first track actually got pretty boring, but the second made up for it. The whiney guy's pretty stupid, haha. So is there an exact date of when Part 2 comes yet?

CoolSSJEnergy said:
This was great!! The first track actually got pretty boring, but the second made up for it. The whiney guy's pretty stupid, haha. So is there an exact date of when Part 2 comes yet?
Surprisingly, yes, but it could always change.
-Part 2: Saturday, March 19, 2005
-Part 3: Saturday, June 25, 2005
-Part 4: Saturday, October 1, 2005

Discloner

Spooned to death
I didn't like the recycled story and...really the CGI.

Basically, last Hot Wheels movie, the characters had to Race to the finish in order to save the world...and this go-round, they've got to race to the finish in order to save the world. Yes, the motives are a tad different, but basically the concept is the same.

Additionally, I thought Mainframe's blend of Celshading and normal CGI last time worked perfectly. I can't for the life of me understand why they switched things up...because frankly they look pretty horrible. Mainframe never was one to succeed with 'realistic' CGI, their strong-suit is doing cartoonish stuff, and while the characters in this mini-series ARE infact created to be cartoony...they just look much worse then Mainframe usually creates, especially when I know they can do MUCH better. I don't know why...but it looks like they went with Spiderman 03-ish designs for their characters, which is strange...considering those characters were specifically crafted to be cellshaded. Even on the Spiderman 03 DVD the animators mention how the characters wouldn't look right with their designs if they weren't cellshaded (for Spiderman).

So, my final verdict was it was 'meh'. I'll likely catch the 3 remaining episodes, but only to see where the story winds up. Additionally...I probably won't fret too much if I happen to miss another episode of it.

I just wish toy manufacters would just learn to craft a story that isn't such a blatent commercial for their products. If anyone reads the website over at CN.com, almost all the names in the description for the cars, relms, characters, etc...are all followed by 'TM', which to me...says that they're using this as a main push for the products they're selling. That can't be condusive to a good story if your main goal is to advertise a line of toy cars.

I did like everything about the Racing Drones though...they were cool.

Conekiller

On the Cruise!
Discloner said:
almost all the names in the description for the cars, relms, characters, etc...are all followed by 'TM', which to me...says that they're using this as a main push for the products they're selling.
That bugs me alot too, especially iun the DBZ games, everythig has this massive (TM) next to it.

I tuned in (cuz I'm usually busy Saturday nights and don't go out of my way to see stuff I'm not already following) and was pleasently surprised. The animnation and character designs reminded me alot of the Dragons:Fire and Ice movie that aired a few months back. I'm also diggin the F-Zero vibe I'm getting.

This was pretty fun to watch for an obvious toy commercial, but I wonder, if there are toys of the humans since they seemed so varied and actually contained personality. UNless they're pulling a WarPlanets on us and giving characters to the toy vehicles.

Duke

Conekiller said:
This was pretty fun to watch for an obvious toy commercial, but I wonder, if there are toys of the humans since they seemed so varied and actually contained personality. UNless they're pulling a WarPlanets on us and giving characters to the toy vehicles.
I don't think there are little figurines out yet. Maybe if Hot Wheels team up with Micro Machines or something.

One thing I liked was that the cars actually got wrecked and needed repair, rather than being invincible (thankfully that lava plow is long gone) like the last movie. One has to wonder if Burt will actually finish a race without destroying a Hot Wheels car this time.

raykremer

It's no better or worse than the first one was. Toy commercial, yeah, but given that the toys aren't even action figures but cars, you can't expect too much. It's like a summer movie you see just for the special effects.

I got a little Initial D riff from the mountain racing at the beginning.

Tien85

This episode was okay, though I miss a lot of the characters that made up the World Race, hopefully we shall see more of the original cast show up. And what happend to Kadem? I saw him go over the side of the road and then later they say something about a recording and how he wasn't out for revenge. Cars are a little cooler this time around, might buy a few of em. And I wonder what this 4th team (known as the Silencerz) are about? Hopefully the mini-sodes on Cartoonnetwork.com and the next three movies will be better.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts