He-Man and the Masters Of The Universe: Season 2 Volume 2 release date and info.

Toon Capone

It will be released on September 19, 2006.

Here is the DVD cover.

HeMan_S2V2.jpg

You can find more information here:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6047

I can't wait for this.

Adam Tyner

Amazing!
Administrator
I'd expect the 1990 series after this.

BCI doesn't hold the rights to release the 2002 series, last I heard. They'd release it if they could.

Hades

Adam Tyner said:
I'd expect the 1990 series after this.

BCI doesn't hold the rights to release the 2002 series, last I heard. They'd release it if they could.

I actually didn't really mean BCI, but someone else. I don't care about any of this old crap, especially the 1990 series (which I never heard of until recently, and the episode I saw online was just stupid).

Toon Capone

Hades said:
I actually didn't really mean BCI, but someone else. I don't care about any of this old crap, especially the 1990 series (which I never heard of until recently, and the episode I saw online was just stupid).

The old MOTU cartoon is far from crap and is a much better cartoon than people want to give it credit for.

The only thing the 2002 series had over the old cartoon was better animation.

Hades

Toon Capone said:
The old MOTU cartoon is far from crap and is a much better cartoon than people want to give it credit for.

The only thing the 2002 series had over the old cartoon was better animation.

And a plot. Oh, and Skeletor was threatening in the new series.

Jon T

Friendless Spidey
Personally, I'm rather open-minded (read: I like) towards all the He-Man-related series. Entertainment Rights who BCI have licensed the series off, have access to most Filmation series, including both He-Man and She-Ra (and also non-Filmation The New Adventures of He-Man, oddly enough).

As has already been mentioned, they don't have the 2002 version that sadly tanked after 39 episodes. I believe Mattel actually has some control over that series, unlike the older series which they have no control over anymore. That may be a large part of why the series hasn't made it to DVD yet, since support for the latter day He-Man line gradually fizzled away to almost non-existence during the line's twilight months.

Anarky

Team Conan
sadly, i don't think the old He-Man stands the test of time
I did enjoy the 2K2 series though. Too bad they didn't get to do the Hordak story arc. Good news for fans of the old. Hopefully whomever holds the rights to the CN series will release the new eps in '07.

Storm Eagle

Power to the peaceful
Anarky said:
sadly, i don't think the old He-Man stands the test of time
I did enjoy the 2K2 series though. Too bad they didn't get to do the Hordak story arc. Good news for fans of the old. Hopefully whomever holds the rights to the CN series will release the new eps in '07.

Hordak was going to be in the 2002 version?

Hades

Jon T said:
Personally, I'm rather open-minded (read: I like) towards all the He-Man-related series. Entertainment Rights who BCI have licensed the series off, have access to most Filmation series, including both He-Man and She-Ra (and also non-Filmation The New Adventures of He-Man, oddly enough).

As has already been mentioned, they don't have the 2002 version that sadly tanked after 39 episodes. I believe Mattel actually has some control over that series, unlike the older series which they have no control over anymore. That may be a large part of why the series hasn't made it to DVD yet, since support for the latter day He-Man line gradually fizzled away to almost non-existence during the line's twilight months.

See, unlike Transformers or Thundercats, I just don't feel the same way about He-Man as I did when I was a kid. The voice acting is horrible, as are the episode plots. Not to mention it has no ongoing storyline at all. Thundercats did once it hit its second season, and it even had a conclusion. Things changed. Same goes for TF. It started in 1984, then had a 20 year time shift with new characters, new ideas, new worlds, etc. He-Man on the otherhand was 130 episodes of the same thing 130 times. Plus 65 more if you count She-Ra.

I might pick up the Best 10 EP of both series, but I have no plans to ever own the entire He-Man series.

PRdude said:
Hordak was going to be in the 2002 version?

Yep. In fact, he already did make a few appearances when Evil-Lynn and the green skinned bad guy tried to free him.

Storm Eagle

Power to the peaceful
Hades said:
Yep. In fact, he already did make a few appearances when Evil-Lynn and the green skinned bad guy tried to free him.

I've seen a few episodes of the 2002 He-Man. Sorry I missed that one though.

Jon T

Friendless Spidey
Hades said:
See, unlike Transformers or Thundercats, I just don't feel the same way about He-Man as I did when I was a kid. The voice acting is horrible, as are the episode plots. Not to mention it has no ongoing storyline at all. Thundercats did once it hit its second season, and it even had a conclusion. Things changed. Same goes for TF. It started in 1984, then had a 20 year time shift with new characters, new ideas, new worlds, etc. He-Man on the otherhand was 130 episodes of the same thing 130 times. Plus 65 more if you count She-Ra.

I think those factors you mentioned are a large part of why the series isn't as fondly remembered in some quarters as Transformers or Thundercats. That's without even mentioning the comparatively primitive animation from Filmation. I like to think of the style of storytelling almost as an "anthology" with completely separate tales from episode to episode, much like the original Star Trek for instance.

The series was certainly a trailblazer in many respects, but it's true that they could have done a better job with a developing continuity. Interestingly enough, that was the case with The New Adventures of He-Man, which had a distinct progression from the first to the final episode.

Storm Eagle

Power to the peaceful
According to an article at tvshowsondvd.com, here's when the other He-Man and She-Ra sets may be coming out:

She-Ra: Princess of Power - season 1, volume 1 (November 7, 2006)
The New Adventures of He-Man - volume 1 (Late 2006)
She-Ra: Princess of Power - season 1, volume 2 (Early 2007)
The New Adventures of He-Man - volume 2 (Spring 2007)
She-Ra: Princess of Power - season 2 (Summer 2007)

Toon Capone

Hades said:
And a plot. Oh, and Skeletor was threatening in the new series.

The old series did have a plot.

Also the new series ripped off a lot storylines from the old series as well and Skeletor was kind of a coward in the new series too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hades

Toon Capone said:
The old series did have a plot.

Also the new series ripped off a lot storylines from the old series as well and Skeletor was kind of a coward in the new series too.

Ummm... Skeletor actually DID stuff in the new series.

Nevermind that though, what was the old series' plot? Did they actually give the show an ending where the villians were defeated for good? Did it have an ongoing storyline that lasted for several episodes?

As for the storylines, I don't call that ripping off, I call that adapting.

Toon Capone

Hades said:
Ummm... Skeletor actually DID stuff in the new series.

Nevermind that though, what was the old series' plot? Did they actually give the show an ending where the villians were defeated for good? Did it have an ongoing storyline that lasted for several episodes?

As for the storylines, I don't call that ripping off, I call that adapting.

Well it's clear your just another Filmation MOTU hater. So I'm not even going to waste anymore time talking about the subject with you.

Wounded_Dragon

Toon Capone said:
Well it's clear your just another Filmation MOTU hater. So I'm not even going to waste anymore time talking about the subject with you.

Personal attacks aren't a rebuttal.

Aside from the She-Ra crossovers I don't recall any episodes that weren't self-contained in the old show.

Hades

Toon Capone said:

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. But if that is how you feel, then fine. No point in my aruging with you either since my points are getting to you. :sweat:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts