"He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (Remake)" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

the greenman

Many a kid of the 80's have been clamoring for a faithful remake of the toy sensation. After abyssmal efforts of Transformers, G.I. Joe, and now even Jem and the Holograms, can we have faith in a He-Man reboot? Well after a 30 year absence from the silver screen, we might actually get one.

News has been buzzing for years on the property, with no movement. John Chu, who did G.I. Joe Retaliation was on board for this, then jumped ship to Jem. Yeah, No Comment.:confused: Just last year, some potential directors names came to light:

He-Man Film 'Masters of the Universe' Director Short-List Includes 'Lego Movie' Editor (Exclusive)

The , just recently, a Columbia Pictures (Sony) exec tweeted this tease:

This May Be The Live-Action He-Man Movie's Badass Battle Cat

In the digital age, like Deadpool, Blomkamp's Alien, and this, this is how you get Studio attention, don't fool yourself. Sure, may not go anywhere just yet, but stay tuned.

Wounded_Dragon

At least it probably has better odds than that Voltron remake that rears its head from development hell from time to time.

the greenman

MOTU may have found a director:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/649815-mcg-in-talks-to-direct-masters-of-the-universe-reboot

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk
Mastersofthe-U.jpg

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Meh - We all know this is gonna turn out as bad as that Jem film, anyway. Call me when McG is forced to direct something not attached to some beloved toy commercial from the 80's wrecked by bad films trying to fit with the times and aging badly as a result.

Sorry to come off like this - but I just feel we all know how this ends if it happens.

Frontier

Staff member
He's certainly not a director that inspires confidence, but I'll wait until I see some casting, plot, and footage before I make any judgements about this movie.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
One of my least favorite action directors of all time. Goody. Welp, can't be worse than Terminator Salvation.

the greenman

Seeing how he hasn't signed on yet, and we have zero casting I'm not gonna judge too quick. These things change directors all the time. It really depends how serious Sony wants to take this project. Right now, they don't which is both good and bad.

GOOD because the Studio will have very little interference.
BAD because if the filmmakers are not on theor A game, the Studio won't be around to fix issues.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
It's not just whatever director this film gets, but also Sony Pictures' head Tom Rothman. His activities on big projects are well documented.

Gold Guy

Staff member
Yeah, SONY has had a really bad track record lately. They don't need another flop.

the greenman

As far as I know, he's a barely C-list actor with passable talent. So, for this project he'll do fine. Especially considering the director.

the greenman

McG talks about his passion for this property:

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...s-of-the-universe-movie-his-absolute-passion/
"We also need to be cognizant of the incredible resonance of what Kevin Feige is doing with Marvel, and the balance of full-bodied entertainment,”McG continued. “That it’s both credible and emotional, action-packed, and the story of a hero’s journey. It’s the genesis of He-Man, it’s the becoming of He-Man. We want it to be clicking on all cylinders in that regard. We’re not going to stop until we get it right. Listen, I love that movie with Frank [Langella] and Dolph [Lundgren]. I watch it, and it’s a tremendous pleasure for me to watch. I’m raised on the toys, and I’m down at Mattel all the time. We’re just really focused on getting it right. I want it to be full-bodied entertainment that respects the fan base, and is more emotional than you might imagine, inventive and original. Obviously, we’re all cognizant of what’s going on with ‘Game of Thrones.’ It’s incredible. We’re cognizant of what’s going on in ‘Guardians of the Galaxy.’ James Gunn’s doing a great job. We’re going to try to answer the call and take it higher.”

Last edited:

Mandouga

Man of Steel? Forget it!

I came to watch a new He-Man movie, not a deconstruction based on one person's personal view. That last thing anyone needs to see is a He-Man that questions what it means to do what he does, and whether or not he's doing it the "right" way, or even what he's doing is "right" etc,, or even worse, a version of "The Problem with Power" (which deals with He-Man thinking he had killed an innocent bystander) turned "up to 11", all in order to "humanize" him, or otherwise make him more "realistic" / "relatable" (all of which he already is if people are willing to think about it).

You know, contrary to popular belief, Masters of the Universe wasn't created as an alternative to Conan. However, if the movie is going to to be written by this person, then it may as well be a Conan movie instead. That said, and with all due respect to him, I doubt he would be stupid enough to write an R-rated He-Man movie; not if Mattel has anything to say about it*...

Also, for what it's worth, while a number of people would prefer to make fun of Filmation's version of He-Man, I don't think it's so inaccurate for him to try to make peace with his enemies (yes, even Skeletor, and yes, even if those enemies are not willing to), or even to simply know deep down, that he is doing is right, and that he is doing it the right way (if anything, he does it the way the Sorceress would have done it). After all, everyone has some good/humanity deep down (Filmation's version even points out that those enemies need to be willing to find it; but yes, some of them either don't, or choose not to), plus if you listen to your heart/conscience, you'll know whether or not what you're doing is right or wrong.

*Not only that, but I (personally) have this feeling that unlike Hasbro, I really don't think Mattel would even allow this movie to even get a PG-13 rating. After all (and I'm just saying), the older fans aren't going to be the only ones seeing this movie. Of course, it IS ultimately up to them, but this is just the way I figure it.

Gold Guy

Staff member
Honestly, the fact that they lost that hack of a director is the best news I could have gotten.

Goyer is hit or miss as a writer, but I'll take my chances with him.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.

Featured Posts