"He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" (Netflix CGI Animated Series) News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Frontier

Staff member
Man at arms looks like a male Samus in his armor. I like that they have given Ram Ma'am elements of the animal Ram in her armor. That is more interesting then just being a human battering ram. No offense to fans of Ram Man.
Well, if you're going to give everybody a souped up armor or costume, may as well give them some flourishes...
Then there is Teela? Why even have Teela and the Sorceress be different characters in this? Might as well make them the same person.
Yeah, to be honest...cool as it looks, I'm not sure how I feel about Teela transforming into the Sorceress or Raven from Teen Titans when the Sorceress is still a character in this :sweat:.

Frontier

Staff member
Some reviews are coming in for this show:

- "Eternia" to "Eternos?" Why change the name? Unless it's for plot reasons? I can't think of a copyright issue :confused:.

- Well, at least Adam and Cringer are still associated together since it sounds like Cringer might have helped raise Adam. It really seems like they gave Cringer Man-at-Arms' traditional personality. Is the contrast with Battle Cat now that he goes from this well-spoken intellectual to a savage beast :ack:?

- Ram Ma('am) is his adoptive sister? Kind of feels more like a Teela thing. We're never seeing He-Man and She-Ra together again :p.

- Duncan really sounds like the most drastically re-imagined out of anyone in the show. Like the only thing he's keeping is the armor and I guess tech proficiency :shrug:.

- It sounds like Keldor has the skeleton hand in both forms. And may have been responsible for Adam getting lost :eek:?

- "Stories in which royal families are revealed to have hereditary abilities tend to skirt around the icky-ness of bloodline essentialism." Okay, I feel like that's really overthinking it. I mean, I get the idea of letting the whole team have the transformation power but I don't think there's an issue with He-Man being the main character or recipient of the Power of Grayskull.

- Hey, at least they still incorporated the secret identity aspect ;).

- I'm kind of concerned about re-used animation when they say the transformation sequences get re-used...and the last clip had like a "Finishing" move with a generic background that seems like it might get re-used a lot :oops:.

- The Sorceress finally has an official real name...

Mandouga

Three things:

-It was actually going to be "Eternos" to begin with, but before the original toy line started in 1981 or 1982 (one of them), they decided to name the planet "Eternia", so that gets a pass from me...OTOH, maybe this new version is using both names?...

-The Sorceress actually has a "real name" in the 1983 series (at least): "Teela-na". Heck, there was even an episode about how she became the Sorceress (it even features an early appearance by The Evil Horde; it features their trademark "bat" logo, although Hordak, Leech, Mantenna, and Grizzlor didn't appear). I think she has one in the 2002 series as well, but it wasn't Teela-na.

-As for "Ram-(Wo)Man" being his adoptive sister, on the other hand (and this is an important point), Adora is his biological sister. So, yes, there's still a chance that She-Ra (and Princess Adora) could appear in this version. In any case, if She-Ra does appear, I really do hope that He-Man and She-Ra are brother and sister in this version...

The Overlord

Three things:

-It was actually going to be "Eternos" to begin with, but before the original toy line started in 1981 or 1982 (one of them), they decided to name the planet "Eternia", so that gets a pass from me...OTOH, maybe this new version is using both names?...

-The Sorceress actually has a "real name" in the 1983 series (at least): "Teela-na". Heck, there was even an episode about how she became the Sorceress (it even features an early appearance by The Evil Horde; it features their trademark "bat" logo, although Hordak, Leech, Mantenna, and Grizzlor didn't appear). I think she has one in the 2002 series as well, but it wasn't Teela-na.

-As for "Ram-(Wo)Man" being his adoptive sister, on the other hand (and this is an important point), Adora is his biological sister. So, yes, there's still a chance that She-Ra (and Princess Adora) could appear in this version. In any case, if She-Ra does appear, I really do hope that He-Man and She-Ra are brother and sister in this version...

I don't think She-Ra will appear, due to bad 1980s contracts She-Ra is now a separate franchise from He-Man and Mattel controls He-Man, while DreamWorks controls She-Ra. Heck, DreamWorks is making a live action She-Ra show for Amazon and it doesn't look like He-Man will be in that either.

AdrenalineRush1996

I don't think She-Ra will appear, due to bad 1980s contracts She-Ra is now a separate franchise from He-Man and Mattel controls He-Man, while Dreamworks controls She-Ra. Heck, Dreamworks is making a live action She-Ra show for Amazon and it doesn't look like He-Man will be in that either.
Honestly, I really hope the complicated ownership issues will be resolved one day enough that we'll finally get a show with both of them appear for the first time since the original series.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The Count: That's seven, seven shows rejected by Nickelodeon. Ah ah ah!

Apparently, Cassandra Peterson has been in a relationship with a woman for 19 years.

Is there a name for the art style Google and other companies use in their advertising? It has to have an official name if so many groups are using it.

R.I.P. Mick McGinty, who illustrated numerous video game covers, most famously Street Fighter II.

He also did movie posters, including Curse of the Pink Panther and Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Featured Posts