He-Man and the Masters of the Universe 2002 series to be re-released

Latest News & Videos

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
Keep in mind though that this IS Mill Creek Entertainment releasing it; it could be the same situation as the Teddy Ruxpin sets. That is, we may need to consider the possibility that while they are planning a "complete series" release, it may just be a "bare bones" release containing just the episodes, and no extras. You see, unlike BCI, Mill Creek is more of a budget publisher, so they're really not into the whole extras thing.

Still, we shouldn't rule anything out, though. They may even surprise us. Incidentally, on a related note, Mill Creek is also releasing two other former BCI releases: Ultraman, and Dungeons and Dragons.

Also related, the Filmation catalog (some of which BCI released) is now under new mangement. A company called "Boomerang Media" now owns both the Classic Media and Entertainment Rights catalogs, the latter of which includes the part of the Filmation catalog not based on properties owned by other companies. In other words, Boomerang Media (no relation the digital cable channel Boomerang) now owns the rights to the original 1983 He-Man series. I just thought you'd like to know, since if Mill Creek were to try to release that, they would have to talk to Boomerang Media about it.

And at the risk of taking this thread to far off topic, I'll stop there. Going back to topic, for those who missed out the first time, do you plan to buy the Mill Creek set, even if it doesn't have any extras?

Tobias

Who you gonna call?
Sep 17, 2002
A, A
bobbydrake2000.livejournal.com
I might pick up the 2002 He-Man if it's cheap enough. I already own the complete He-Man/She-Ra series, including the Christmas special. I picked up the bulk of them when Best Buy was letting them go at 10 bucks a piece last year.

Tobias

Who you gonna call?
Sep 17, 2002
A, A
All the BCI stuff is still readily available at sites like Amazon anyway. Is this stuff really out of print?
Since BCI closed it's doors, yeah, all the titles are out of print, but that doesn't mean you still can't find the titles in stores for the time being, at least until the stock is sold out. I'm still seeing Filmation's Ghostbusters at Best Buy whenever I go in.

Golgo13

Sup?
Jan 16, 2005
Minnesota
I've been noticing a lot of BCI's DVDs popping up at Half-Price Books for super cheap. I picked up the complete set of Jason of Star Command, Space Academy, and Ark 2 all for $10.

tjguitar

Dec 30, 2006
California
Since BCI closed it's doors, yeah, all the titles are out of print, but that doesn't mean you still can't find the titles in stores for the time being, at least until the stock is sold out. I'm still seeing Filmation's Ghostbusters at Best Buy whenever I go in.
I thought BCI's parent company Navarre still has the licenses and could keep printing new stock.

Tobias

Who you gonna call?
Sep 17, 2002
A, A
YOu don't work at Best Buy, do you? Blu-Ray is a phenomenal seller, so I'm not sure what you are talking about.
I think he actually meant the He-Man series themselves, not the blu-ray part. Old 80's cartoons wouldn't hold up well in hi-def blu-ray formats unless a TON of remastering went into them. Most of those shows can't hold up on HD screens from what I've heard.

BCI Guy

Oct 29, 2008
Los Angeles
YOu don't work at Best Buy, do you? Blu-Ray is a phenomenal seller, so I'm not sure what you are talking about.
No, but I worked for BCI when Best Buy told us how little they'd order of the 2002 series on Blu-Ray.

I'm fully aware that certain genres are huge sellers on Blu-Ray. And certain genres are total dogs on the format. And at this point TV (with a handful of exceptions) is just starting to catch, and animated TV is struggling.

We would've had to have sold 5 times what JLA S1 did on BR to even have a chance at breaking even.

BCI Guy

Oct 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I think he actually meant the He-Man series themselves, not the blu-ray part. Old 80's cartoons wouldn't hold up well in hi-def blu-ray formats unless a TON of remastering went into them. Most of those shows can't hold up on HD screens from what I've heard.
Right. But it would've been the 2002 series which would've looked nice on BR. We did a single episode test and it was great. Not quite to the level of some of the brand new releases that were made for HD, but it was sharper with more intense colors and almost a bit of a 3D effect. The detail in the backgrounds was pretty impressive.

The 80s Filmation cartoons will never be on Blu-Ray, because they can't be remastered. When Hallmark digitized everything years ago, they destroyed all the original elements afterwards. What we put out on DVD is the best they'll ever look.

Goodfellow

Apr 21, 2006
Denver CO
No, but I worked for BCI when Best Buy told us how little they'd order of the 2002 series on Blu-Ray.
Well that friggin sucks. Thanks for giving me another reason for hating the company I work for. :mad: Stupid Best Buy corporate!!!!! I wonder what goes through their minds, and then I look at the store I work at every day, and at how little we are staffing wise, and realize I do not have the brain cells to kill.

Hanshotfirst1138

Morphinomenal!
Jul 25, 2006
Livonia, MI
Well that friggin sucks. Thanks for giving me another reason for hating the company I work for. :mad: Stupid Best Buy corporate!!!!! I wonder what goes through their minds, and then I look at the store I work at every day, and at how little we are staffing wise, and realize I do not have the brain cells to kill.
Yep, I work retail too, and I know how it is. We're understaffed to the nth degree too. It's the way of things, especially in this economy.

sdp

miscrave
Dec 12, 2004
N.W.
miscrave.com
I would think anyone who wanted to buy He-Man already bought it though. I saw them on sale tons of times and for cheap while not on sale as well.

I regretting not getting them and I'm not even sure why, I was never a big He-Man fan and the best ten episodes DVD was a hassle to get through and sold it as soon as I did. Something about it appeals me(nostalgia?) enough to get me curious to check it out but when I've tried its never worked.

Tobias

Who you gonna call?
Sep 17, 2002
A, A
The only old school He-Man release I didn't buy was the uncut 'Secret of the Sword' movie, which I already have on VHS. I also passed on the 'New Adventures of He-Man' because I didn't care for it.

But I'll probably end up picking up the new 2002 release since I never bought it when it was released.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Lisa Ortiz's mother passed away.

I found this interview that Pam Arciero (Grundgetta from Sesame Street) took part in. I mainly skipped to 1:35, where she mentioned how production on the show ground to a halt because of the pandemic. There was about 1 more week of material to tape. She says they could start again in October, but that could change.
About done watching Sonic Boom Season 1 on DVD. Good in a sense to know the episode "Fire in a Crowded Workshop" only in Spanish dialogue isn't just me, but other unhappy posters to its Amazon page.

1:27:04-1:29:50

If it wasn't for the fact they're owned by different companies (Sesame Street on HBO and Helpsters on Apple TV, though both are from Sesame Workshop), I could totally see a crossover.