"DC Animation on Max (Streaming Service)" News and Discussion (Spoilers)

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Of course, that's never stopped them before :sweat:.
Na na na na na Batwheels!
ccelebritiesBatwheels1.jpg

Frontier

Staff member
Y'know, instead of a B:TAS cartoon, I'd rather we get a Batfamily cartoon that showcases Batman, the Batfamily, and The Rogues Gallery for a new, modern, audience, especially since there was a lot of the Batfamily that B:TAS never really touched on (outside, I guess, The Adventure Continues).

the greenman

There's definitely more nostalgia and warmth to it now than there was in the past. Not as much as B:TAS, obviously, but a lot of those 2000s kids look nostalgically back at it, to the point that I saw a lot of nostaglic/retrospective videos on it last year and even the announcement of it going to HBO Max generated some online excitement. Again, not on B:TAS levels, but it's hardly obscure either.

It only "bombed" because Mattel pulled out of doing a toy deal to create their own line instead (I think Batman Unlimited?) Combine that Cartoon Network's typical lack of support towards WBA project. So, it's as much of a "bomb" as Green Lantern: TAS, Justice League Action, etc. were.
Well, these series were to be tied in with their films. WB used Green Lantern Animated for the Ryan Reynolds bomb, Justice League Action for the Snyder/Whedon failure, and Beware the Batman was too close to being anywhere associated with the Colorado shooting. So they had valid reasons.
Y'know, instead of a B:TAS cartoon, I'd rather we get a Batfamily cartoon that showcases Batman, the Batfamily, and The Rogues Gallery for a new, modern, audience, especially since there was a lot of the Batfamily that B:TAS never really touched on (outside, I guess, The Adventure Continues).
I figured they would go with the Batman Inc. label like Young Justice kept pushing.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Well, these series were to be tied in with their films. WB used Green Lantern Animated for the Ryan Reynolds bomb, Justice League Action for the Snyder/Whedon failure, and Beware the Batman was too close to being anywhere associated with the Colorado shooting. So they had valid reasons.
Even if those movies were successes or apparently in the case of Beware the Batman there was no controversy (that's the reason for the guns they used; first time seeing that excuse for the show itself), not getting enough viewers on bad timeslots, getting the wrong demo of viewers, and thus not getting enough consumers for the shows' merchandise or having no merchandise in the first place actually mattered to why all these got axed.

They literally had to make sure the toys come first (announce to popular geek sites these are newly designed dolls/LEGO figurines for a young female demo), make a webseries based off said toyline, and then get the network version of this series to finally have another stable DC cartoon on CN.

Last edited:

Jiggle-Bot

Perhaps to keep things fresh for the showrunners and to avoid unrealistic comparisons with the nostalgia BTAS but still return to BTAS they could follow Batman, his bat family and rogues post Return of the Joker/JLU/Fatal Five but before that first scene in Batman Beyond. Maybe make it a few years before Bruce is using the Beyond suit so they still use the classic design. So we have a grizzled, older batman, maybe a bit past his prime and he's alienated from a lot of the heroes and other bat-family now. Might be super dark and depressing though :confused:.

ichorskeeter

I wonder, if they'd do a revival, if they'd limit how much Alfred and Gordon would be in it because of how jarring it might be for fans to hear different voices.

I don't really need to hear Tara Strong or Melissa Rauch as Harley again. Although we'll probably hear Tara as Harley one way or another...

I think an easily solution for Alfred and Gordon would be to write them off. If some time has passed since TNBA, then Gordon could be replaced by Commissioner Montoya (or Bullock...). If this is a slightly older Batman, then it would make sense for him to lose his surrogate fathers.

I'm pretty doubtful about the B:TAS sequel rumors myself.

B.T. made it pretty clear here in a 2018 interview that it's a straight up bad idea.

36:55 mark

Unless WB showed up to his house with a truckload of money, I just don't see it. The most I could imagine is some animated film or short.

2021 is a different world. Last month's Disney+ presentation would have seemed ludicrous in 2018; but here we are now, with something like 20+ combined Marvel and Star Wars shows in the pipeline.

It doesn't seem all that strange, with Animaniacs on Hulu and Tiny Toons on the way.

From the perspective of AT&T execs, BTAS is low-hanging fruit.

If I had to guess, Harley Quinn's performance on streaming was also a factor.

Frontier

Staff member
Perhaps to keep things fresh for the showrunners and to avoid unrealistic comparisons with the nostalgia BTAS but still return to BTAS they could follow Batman, his bat family and rogues post Return of the Joker/JLU/Fatal Five but before that first scene in Batman Beyond. Maybe make it a few years before Bruce is using the Beyond suit so they still use the classic design. So we have a grizzled, older batman, maybe a bit past his prime and he's alienated from a lot of the heroes and other bat-family now. Might be super dark and depressing though :confused:.
I think an easily solution for Alfred and Gordon would be to write them off. If some time has passed since TNBA, then Gordon could be replaced by Commissioner Montoya (or Bullock...). If this is a slightly older Batman, then it would make sense for him to lose his surrogate fathers.
I'm just not sure how much people would enjoy that, though...

ShadowStar

I'm just not sure how much people would enjoy that, though...
Indeed -- that reminds me of the fact that some people have a problem with Young Justice advancing so far forward in time that so much has changed since the first season. I have no problem with that approach though, as long as some effort is made to address the changes and what happened to the characters who have "disappeared".

Frontier

Staff member
Indeed -- that reminds me of the fact that some people have a problem with Young Justice advancing so far forward in time that so much has changed since the first season. I have no problem with that approach though, as long as some effort is made to address the changes and what happened to the characters who have "disappeared".
I accept the time-skips as just part of the show's approach to it's ongoing storylines and universe, but I think part of it is that the show asks you to kind of accept where it breaks from traditional narrative convention.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
- The Batman aired in the early 2000's and despite it being 15 years later there's almost no nostalgia for it. Which I find odd, because you would think there would be an entire group of kids from the early 2000's who grew up with it for those 5 years and would like to see it again. Instead I virtually never see The Batman mentioned or acknowledged anywhere. Not only by us "old fans," but even the young 2000's kids.

Remember anyone who was a kid in the early 2000's is now 20-25 years old...so they're adults too now.

"The Batman" premiered in 2004. I think it's "lack of nostalgia" is tied in with the death of Saturday Morning cartoons. After the Pokemon craze started to fizzle out (around 2002), and Fox Kids and "One Saturday Morning" ended (also around 2002)....I mean yeah, "Kids WB" was still around, but I can't think of any Kids WB or Fox Box show that left a lasting impact on pop culture after 2002. The 2003 "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" cartoon, perhaps?

EDIT: I got to thinking, "Yu-Gi-Oh" was big in the mid 2000's (2002 to 2005), but that's an anime and it premiered on American TV in 2001. Maybe my point is more that there was no American Saturday morning cartoons in the mid to late 2000's that affected pop culture (like pre-2002 Saturday mornings), so that's why "The Batman" doesn't have nostalgia for it.

Alternatively, maybe if "Justice League Unlimited" had not been on the air at the same time.....

Last edited:

the greenman

I accept the time-skips as just part of the show's approach to it's ongoing storylines and universe, but I think part of it is that the show asks you to kind of accept where it breaks from traditional narrative convention.
The problem is, if they are going to go far enough into the future, then we will no longer have the JL and our Team will be older. That's fine. I just feel we have so many missed opportunities in storytelling. Call it fan service.
I doubt we'll get back to the first season aesthetic, which was indeed geared towards children/YA. The thing I miss about seasons 1 and 2 were the approach to the villains.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

coldglynx

Iono I feel kinda indifferent towards the news. I think it has to do with the fact that we kind of had our fill of the Batman TAS Batman. Not only was he revived on KidsWB, then we had Batman Beyond, then JL and JLU covered the in between TAS and Batman Beyond. Plus the movies that came out.

The only Batman related I wanted back badly was Beyond. Since that one actually feels unfinished. Yes “epilogue” gave us the eventual ending of that show. But the strength of BB is our journey with Terry as he continues to grow as Batman. As opposed to Batman TAS where it was more of a procedural type show. Bruce was already a fully formed character when we meet him. There is no journey other than seeing him take on his rogues gallery. If anything Epilogue actually made me want a revival more. Since there is so much of Terrys journey that still needs to be told.

Last edited:

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Iono I feel kinda indifferent towards the news. I think it has to do with the fact that we kind of had our fill of the Batman TAS Batman. Not only was he revived on KidsWB, then we had Batman Beyond, then JL and JLU covered the in between TAS and Batman Beyond. Plus the movies that came out.

The only Batman related I wanted back badly was Beyond. Since that one actually feels unfinished. Yes “epilogue” gave us the eventual ending of that show. But the strength of BB is our journey with Terry as he continues to grow as Batman. As opposed to Batman TAS where it was more of a procedural type show. Bruce was already a fully formed character when we meet him. There is no journey other than seeing him take on his rogues gallery. If anything Epilogue actually made me want a revival more. Since there is so much of Terrys journey that still needs to be told.
I'd love to see Terry's journey. Maybe see the events after Epilogue.

CyberCubed

The thing about B:TAS is that since there was no real story arcs or major continuity (besides recurring villains), it could easily just go on for another 20-30 episodes picking up where it left off as if no time had passed. Almost every B:TAS was episodic because the episodes aired on TV all out of order back in the day and it didn't matter besides the two-part eps.

Since Batman's villains just continually get out of Arkham over and over again with no explanation (granted that's true of most Batman series), you can just make endless stories with the same villains over and over.

ShadowStar

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.

Featured Posts