"HBO Max (Streaming Service)" Related Animation News and Discussion (Spoilers)

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I'm still bummed they passed on that Superfamily show pitch :(.

Or the World's Finest pitch. Either concept feels like a no-brainer for a Superman series.
I would love it to be true, but...We Got This Covered isn't very reliable :sweat:.

Yeah. Plus even if it was coming, it would likely take a while since Giancarlo Volpe is supposed to be working on a show for Nickelodeon, one that I don't think has been announced.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
On one hand, the movie Green Lantern was a failure, so WB might not revisit it. On the other hand, WB Animation almost exclusively makes cartoons based on existing properties and are now even rebooting the few original 90s cartoons they had, so they will eventually have to make another Green Lantern cartoon, no? I am not sure if it will be a revival of the 2011 series.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
On one hand, the movie Green Lantern was a failure, so WB might not revisit it. On the other hand, WB Animation almost exclusively makes cartoons based on existing properties and are now even rebooting the few original 90s cartoons they had, so they will eventually have to make another Green Lantern cartoon, no? I am not sure if it will be a revival of the 2011 series.
According to Josh Keaton the stores didn't bother to differentiate the Green Lantern merchandising, so they just had mostly movie toys in stock and thus the show supposedly never had an official toyline.
I thought it'd make sense to take a page from Star Wars playbook if this GL anthology wasn't obvious enough.
Two ways to go for a GL animated reboot: TV-Y or TV-MA

coldglynx

A Batman Beyond revival is always going to top my list. I feel there was still so much more story to tell about that World and Terrys journey. Thats the only way TimeWarner gets me to subscribe to HBOmax. Nothing else matters.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
For better or worse, I still consider "Epilogue" to be Beyond's finale, but I guess creating more stories for that series is easier to pull off than for B:TAS. Also, it really deserves better than those terrible comics from the past few years.

I'd still prioritize Green Lantern, Beware, or any short non-DCAU series but I'd look forward for more Beyond.

ShadowStar

Batman Beyond and Justice League Unlimited would make the most sense... Reviving The New Batman Adventures would be difficult because, as others have noted, much of the voice cast is gone. Teen Titans could be revived, but they would have to put Glen Murakami in charge again, otherwise there would be absolutely no point.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Like @RoyalRubble suggested in private, a JLU Beyond series would be a decent compromise. Don't really have to worry about canon too much(/can't screw too much up), explore that gap between Beyond and Epilogue, build on the JLU from The Call and introduce more successors, new heroes, bring back some who are still alive like Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
WarnerMedia released the following promotional press release looking at current and upcoming Batman-related titles coming to HBO Max. Note that The Batman is coming to the service starting February 15, 2021. The release is below:

Binging the Bat: HBO Max Adds New Batman Titles to its Lineup

Here’s some good news: HBO Max now has a lot more Batman shows and movies available for streaming than ever before, with the service freshly adding some of the very best live-action and animated adaptations of the Caped Crusader ever made.

The new Bat-centric offerings include the complete Christopher Nolan-directed Dark Knight trilogy—Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises—plus the seminal Batman: The Animated Series and its popular follow-up, Batman Beyond. With all of that Christian Bale and Kevin Conroy, the time is right for any fan looking for a stay-at-home binge delivering hours of justice to Gotham City.

There are also several Batman animated features new to HBO Max, including Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker—the coda to Batman: The Animated Series and Batman Beyond—and the recent Batman: Death in the Family which is based on the game-changing 1988 comic book storyline. (Coincidentally, both of those titles include some of the Joker’s most heinous attacks on the Bat-family.)

These additions join already existing HBO Max Bat-titles including Batman v Superman: Ultimate Edition, Justice League, and a slew of animated features such as Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 and Part 2, Batman: Year One, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and Batman: Under the Red Hood.

Here are some of Batman shows and movies new to HBO Max:

Batman Begins
Batman Beyond
Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker
Batman: Bad Blood
Batman: Death in the Family
Batman: Hush
Batman: The Animated Series
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises

And here’s the full list of every Batman-related movie or TV series available to watch on HBO Max now and in the near future. There’s quite a lot!

• Batman and Harley Quinn
• Batman: Assault on Arkham
• Batman: Bad Blood
• Batman Begins
• Batman Beyond
• Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
• Batman: Death in the Family
• Batman: Gotham by Gaslight
• Batman: Gotham Knight
• Batman: Hush
• Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
• Batman & Mr. Freeze: Subzero
• Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
• Batman: The Animated Series
• Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Pt 1 and 2
• Batman: Under the Red Hood
• Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
• Batman vs. Robin
• Batman: Year One
• Batman (1989) (starts 2/1)
• Batman Forever (starts 2/1)
• Batman Returns (starts 2/1)
• Batman & Robin (starts 2/1)
• The Batman (starts 2/15)
• Batman: The Brave and the Bold
• The Dark Knight
• The Dark Knight Rises
• JLA Adventures Trapped in Time
• Justice League
• Justice League: Crises on Two Earths
• Justice League Dark
• Justice League Dark: Apokolips War
• Justice League: Doom
• Justice League: Gods and Monsters
• Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
• Justice League: The New Frontier
• Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
• Justice League vs Teen Titans
• Justice League vs. The Fatal Five
• Justice League: War
• Justice League (2001)
• Justice League Unlimited
• LEGO Batman: DC Super Heroes Unite
• Lego Justice League: Attack of the Legion of Doom!
• Lego Justice League: Cosmic Clash
• Lego Justice League: Gotham City Breakout
• Lego: Justice League vs. Bizarro League
• Son of Batman
• Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
• Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
• Young Justice

So, what will you watch first?

Frontier

Staff member
WarnerMedia released the following promotional press release looking at current and upcoming Batman-related titles coming to HBO Max. Note that The Batman is coming to the service starting February 15, 2021. The release is below:

Here’s some good news: HBO Max now has a lot more Batman shows and movies available for streaming than ever before, with the service freshly adding some of the very best live-action and animated adaptations of the Caped Crusader ever made.

The new Bat-centric offerings include the complete Christopher Nolan-directed Dark Knight trilogy—Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises—plus the seminal Batman: The Animated Series and its popular follow-up, Batman Beyond. With all of that Christian Bale and Kevin Conroy, the time is right for any fan looking for a stay-at-home binge delivering hours of justice to Gotham City.

There are also several Batman animated features new to HBO Max, including Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker—the coda to Batman: The Animated Series and Batman Beyond—and the recent Batman: Death in the Family which is based on the game-changing 1988 comic book storyline. (Coincidentally, both of those titles include some of the Joker’s most heinous attacks on the Bat-family.)

These additions join already existing HBO Max Bat-titles including Batman v Superman: Ultimate Edition, Justice League, and a slew of animated features such as Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 and Part 2, Batman: Year One, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and Batman: Under the Red Hood.

Batman Begins
Batman Beyond
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises

And here’s the full list of every Batman-related movie or TV series available to watch on HBO Max now and in the near future. There’s quite a lot!

• Batman Begins
• Batman Beyond
• Batman vs. Robin
• The Dark Knight
• The Dark Knight Rises
• Justice League
• Justice League Dark
• Justice League (2001)
• Son of Batman
• Young Justice

That's a whole lot of Batman and Justice League :p.

I'm especially happy to see the Lego movies on there :).

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member

Batman Begins
Batman Beyond
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises

• Batman Begins
• Batman Beyond
• Batman vs. Robin
• The Dark Knight
• The Dark Knight Rises
• Justice League
• Justice League Dark
• Justice League (2001)
• Son of Batman
• Young Justice

That's a pretty robust list, though I think the only one I haven't seen there is Death in the Family. Though it seems to be the "standard" version plus the shorts, which is disappointing considering what Netflix does with its interactive specials.

And surprising no one, the press release doesn't mention Beware the Batman. :rolleyes:

Frontier

Staff member
That's a pretty robust list, though I think the only one I haven't seen there is Death in the Family. Though it seems to be the "standard" version plus the shorts, which is disappointing considering what Netflix does with its interactive specials.
I was kind of wondering whether that had the interactive function :(.

Mandouga

I don't usually post here, so I don't know if this was mentioned already, but they previously had the two movies based on the 1966 series, but were then taken off...

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Otaku-sempai

I don't usually post here, so I don't know if this was mentioned already, but they previously had the two movies based on the 1966 series, but were then taken off...

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
I assume that you mean the pair of Batman '66 animated movies. Thanks.

ichorskeeter

On Kevin Smith's most recent podcast, his co-host brought up rumors of a BTAS revival on HBO Max, and Smith validated them, saying he heard "from someone in the know" that WB has something in the works.

Here is the link. The relevant part starts at the 2 hour 3 minute mark:
Smith is currently working with Mark Hamill on a He-Man reboot for Netflix, and he's extremely well-connected in industry circles. I don't want to get too excited, but... this could be the real deal.

the greenman

I noticed they added the Vixen series. Not sure exactly how they are allowed to stream that and Ray since they are affiliated with the CW.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
On Kevin Smith's most recent podcast, his co-host brought up rumors of a BTAS revival on HBO Max, and Smith validated them, saying he heard "from someone in the know" that WB has something in the works.

Smith is currently working with Mark Hamill on a He-Man reboot for Netflix, and he's extremely well-connected in industry circles. I don't want to get too excited, but... this could be the real deal.
On one hand, it's very easy for someone in the biz to say "I know a guy who said..." and on the other hand, I could see Timm not being interested but agreeing to do it so someone else doesn't screw it up. I don't know how accurate Smith's podcast reveals have been either. But would Timm really do a revival series? Is the Powers That Be really that convinced they should do one? Gah. I still think it's more likely it's just an upcoming DTV that uses the TNBA style to help the production process.
I noticed they added the Vixen series. Not sure exactly how they are allowed to stream that and Ray since they are affiliated with the CW.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk
Maybe the exclusivity of them being only on CW's site has expired since they were out 3-6 years ago respectively.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Smith definitely knows some stuff (As does Marc knowing a few connections from his journalist days). I know Smith has done this before and then pulled out the old ''Remember that thing I told you was in the works... this is it!''.

Just how accurate he always is, I'm not sure.

ichorskeeter

On one hand, it's very easy for someone in the biz to say "I know a guy who said..." and on the other hand, I could see Timm not being interested but agreeing to do it so someone else doesn't screw it up. I don't know how accurate Smith's podcast reveals have been either. But would Timm really do a revival series? Is the Powers That Be really that convinced they should do one? Gah. I still think it's more likely it's just an upcoming DTV that uses the TNBA style to help the production process.

Maybe the exclusivity of them being only on CW's site has expired since they were out 3-6 years ago respectively.

Smith definitely knows some stuff (As does Marc knowing a few connections from his journalist days). I know Smith has done this before and then pulled out the old ''Remember that thing I told you was in the works... this is it!''.

Just how accurate he always is, I'm not sure.

Smith is friends with Paul Dini and Mark Hamill, so I think he's a pretty good source. And he knows what he's talking about—he named his daughter Harley! He's probably looked through these forums once or twice.

His podcast has been known to make news every now and then. I think the last time was when he detailed production problems on Joss Whedon's Justice League set.

Something is up... whether or not it's a full blown revival remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

So, there is going to be a movie about Karens....
I don't understand this site's obsession with "eras" for cartoon channels. I barely remember yesterday, and my life is a giant blur. How am I supposed to remember the intricacies of various specific television schedules over the years, much less how I felt about them at the time? You guys are totally weird.
Hi all, guess who's back?!
Guys, I have an announcement.

Today, I with my mom are heading to Turkey! Its been 3 years ever since my last vacation, so I'm really glad that my dad saved money for this.

I'm not sure for how it will be, but I'm telling you, it will be sweet :)

We will start with the taxi at 09:30-10:00PM, then bus and the plane. Tomorrow morning we will be in the new hotel!

Hopefully that stupid virus wont be an issue.
Here's what I'm wondering: why is that most, if not all Cartoon Network shows in the 2010's had only 11 minute episodes instead of a half hour or 2 11 minutes episodes like they used to?

Not complaining. Just curious.

Featured Posts