"HBO Max (Streaming Service)" Related Animation News and Discussion (Spoilers)

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Yeah, people really tout WB's animated DC output, especially when it comes to DC vs Marvel debates but I think WB's DC animated content has been lacking for the better part of the last decade in both quality and quantity. The one thing that they've been lacking the most is content that appeals to both young and old. HBO Max provides the perfect venue to change all that but with the announcements of Batwheels and the movie tie-in stuff it seems they prefer content to have a specific target demo.
Mainly because the last animated content within that decade catering to both young and old had the shortest lifespan relative to content that appealed to the young or the old. Heck, before that we had a solo Batman show that lasted one season. The majority of recent live-action content are for that young & old audience which is why they happen to air on Cartoon Network or free-to-air tv. And that unfortunately for us is the big trendy thing in superhero media.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
I'd be fine with a Wonder Woman cartoon in the vein of the DCAU, maybe not actually starring DCAU Wonder Woman.
another Yara Flor series? Her first comic issue is actually pretty dang mythological and she's now drifted away from just Greek myths and broadened to all the classic fantasy creatures.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'd be fine with a Wonder Woman cartoon in the vein of the DCAU, maybe not actually starring DCAU Wonder Woman.
Yeah, at this point, just a solo Wonder Woman animated series period is what I want. I don't need it to be canon with an existing continuity. People have got to be pitching WW series to WBA.

Frontier

Staff member
another Yara Flor series? Her first comic issue is actually pretty dang mythological and she's now drifted away from just Greek myths and broadened to all the classic fantasy creatures.
I'd like to hope for a Wonder Woman cartoon that really mines her Rogues Gallery instead of just relying on the myths :).
Yeah, at this point, just a solo Wonder Woman animated series period is what I want. I don't need it to be canon with an existing continuity. People have got to be pitching WW series to WBA.
I would like to think so...although I'm equally concerned about them not going for viable pitches :ack:.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
If you back track the original source, We Got This Covered, it's definitely fake and has no substance. I saw it the other week before Christmas and chose not to post it.

The source listed in that article (not WGTC) is usually fairly reliable. My issue is that they link to a Patreon page, which would have a paywall preventing most people from even verifying said rumor. So, yeah, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

The one thing that they've been lacking the most is content that appeals to both young and old. HBO Max provides the perfect venue to change all that but with the announcements of Batwheels and the movie tie-in stuff it seems they prefer content to have a specific target demo.

It's truly a waste. The last few DC cartoons have met early ends because of toyline-related reasons or Cartoon Network's apathy (or both). A streaming service does not have such limitations, and Netflix's strong variety of animated programming shows that. Yet we're still barely getting new DC animated content exclusive to HBO Max.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The source listed in that article (not WGTC) is usually fairly reliable. My issue is that they link to a Patreon page, which would have a paywall preventing most people from even verifying said rumor. So, yeah, I'd take it with a grain of salt.
Richtman is usually reliable but the facts are, as you say is it's behind a paywall on Patreon rather than his site/social media that everyone can see, listed under Rumor and no one else has verified his claim in the past 2 weeks is telling as to its accuracy, imo.

M.O.D.O.K. said:
A streaming service does not have such limitations, and Netflix's strong variety of animated programming shows that. Yet we're still barely getting new DC animated content exclusive to HBO Max.
I think it's still give and take with a streaming service. Harley Quinn, a new series that started on another streamer, now cut down from a 13 to 10 episode season. YJ, you could see they had to take some shortcuts, on season 3 like with the still shots. YJ is pretty lucky they got renewed by DCU and grandfathered into HBO Max because I'm pretty sure it would have a shorter season if the season 4 renewal were up to Max. It seems like we're barely getting content but animation does take a long time to make it. Aside from YJ and HQ, there's still the animated content in BizarroTV, if that's still a thing and being ported over to HBO Max, the Aquaman limited series, and potentially an Amazons one. Once the migration of DCU assets to HBO Max is finally over and stabilized, and they can better plan on when to release their new live action and animated content, we should see more consistency of content.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I think it's still give and take with a streaming service. Harley Quinn, a new series that started on another streamer, now cut down from a 13 to 10 episode season. YJ, you could see they had to take some shortcuts, on season 3 like with the still shots. YJ is pretty lucky they got renewed by DCU and grandfathered into HBO Max because I'm pretty sure it would have a shorter season if the season 4 renewal were up to Max.

I think Harley Quinn was also originally ordered as a 26-episode series that was split in half, so the cut to 10 episodes really stands out. Not to mention there was apparently a budget negotiation, which doesn't really bode well for longer seasons.

I think the shorter season rushed the storylines in Young Justice: Invasion, so I can cope with slightly worse animation if it means a better-paced story, which I think was one of the improvements Outsiders brought to the table.
It seems like we're barely getting content but animation does take a long time to make it. Aside from YJ and HQ, there's still the animated content in BizarroTV, if that's still a thing and being ported over to HBO Max, the Aquaman limited series, and potentially an Amazons one. Once the migration of DCU assets to HBO Max is finally over and stabilized, and they can better plan on when to release their new live action and animated content, we should see more consistency of content.

I'm still wondering if BizarroTV wasn't silently canned like that Metropolis series with Lois and Lex was. I don't have high hopes for Aquaman considering much of the crew worked on Thundercats Roar and it's only 3 episodes. The Amazons series might be promising, though as others say, I'd be happier with a proper Wonder Woman series.

ShadowStar

I think the shorter season rushed the storylines in Young Justice: Invasion, so I can cope with slightly worse animation if it means a better-paced story, which I think was one of the improvements Outsiders brought to the table.
Yes — I really couldn't agree more! Outsiders had more room to breathe and while some have criticised it, I would argue that the luxurious pace was justified, given that the show had been “dead” for about six years. A slower-paced season after Invasion also made a great deal of sense. The animation was indeed worse than in seasons 1 and 2 but Outsiders was a welcome return to YJ after what seemed (for a very long time) to be the end in the form of the season 2 finale.

Spider-Man

Personally I don't want BTAS to ever come back. If they brought back the TNBA era that could maybe work, but the more I see of recent DCAU projects, even if they're good, is that they never seem right and there is always something off because you can't beat the magic the original BTAS had and I'd hate to see that tainted by bringing it back. And don't forget a number of the original creators, cast, etc., have either moved on, passed away, etc., and since everyone played a part in making BTAS what it is, losing just one of those could drastically change things. This need to reboot, revamp, relaunch, bring back etc., all these shows, people seem to forget that it doesn't mean if they're brought back they're going to magically be great shows. MOTB and B&HQ aren't bad but they're pretty forgettable ultimately. New JLU could work, BB, Static, but I'd like to see BTAS and STAS remain the benchmarks they are. We don't need those to come back and I hope they never do. But more BB, JLU even TNBA? Sure!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Personally I don't want BTAS to ever come back. If they brought back the TNBA era that could maybe work, but the more I see of recent DCAU projects, even if they're good, is that they never seem right and there is always something off because you can't beat the magic the original BTAS had and I'd hate to see that tainted by bringing it back. And don't forget a number of the original creators, cast, etc., have either moved on, passed away, etc., and since everyone played a part in making BTAS what it is, losing just one of those could drastically change things. This need to reboot, revamp, relaunch, bring back etc., all these shows, people seem to forget that it doesn't mean if they're brought back they're going to magically be great shows. MOTB and B&HQ aren't bad but they're pretty forgettable ultimately. New JLU could work, BB, Static, but I'd like to see BTAS and STAS remain the benchmarks they are. We don't need those to come back and I hope they never do. But more BB, JLU even TNBA? Sure!
After all the recent revisits to the canon, I'm still of the opinion they should all be left alone and stay "retired." They had the right idea with reviving a newer show that got cut down too soon like Young Justice. GL:TAS, Beware The Batman, and Justice League Action. I'd also still like a revisit to the Gods and Monsters continuity.

bigdaddy313

I don’t care what anyone says but we need a new Superman animated series, a new Batman animated series and a new Wonder Woman series.
And no one should tell me just do Justice League.

AdrenalineRush1996

To be fair, BTAS already came back as TNBA.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
You can't just ask Bruce Timm to produce a revival of B:TAS on his own and expect it to be of the same quality. The success of B:TAS was a combination of numerous talents working together at a time in the industry when risks were accepted and even at times encouraged.

Too many cast and crew members are now dead or retired so you can never really get ''the gang back together''.

I think that's why Timm made a point about Batman & Harley Quinn and JL vs FF NOT being revivals, but rather backdrops to new stories, tones and characters. You can't ever really go back home again but you can certainly pay a quick visit if people keep their expectations in check.

IF and it's a big IF they were to revisit the world of B:TAS/TNBA on HBO Max, I would argue the following needs to happen:

- Provide the team with a substantial budget.
- Give them time to experiment with background and character designs (should there be new characters/locales).
- Fight for a good animation studio.
- Get Timm/Dini/Burnett/Radomski back (Even if Burnett/Radomski give minimal input).
- See if Andrea Romano would come out of retirement briefly.
- Perhaps get James Tucker to offer input (with a fresher persepctive).
- Perhaps even Michael Reeves or Bob Goodman?
- Secure as much of the original cast as you can.

And most importantly:

- Allow the team the freedom to approach any story/stories from a natural place. Not born out of some other corporate desire (Like certain random DC Direct action figures *ahem*).

Or you know, do Batman Beyond. Much more wiggle room there.

Frontier

Staff member
Oh yeah, of course, a new Superman animated series for sure would be awesome.
I'm still bummed they passed on that Superfamily show pitch :(.
Please be a reality: HBO Max Reportedly Discussing Green Lantern: The Animated Series Revival

As much as they'd be quite obviously mirroring Lucasfilm on D+, that show deserves it.
Plus, from there they can expand that DCGAU.
I would love it to be true, but...We Got This Covered isn't very reliable :sweat:.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Maya Rudolph's cool and all, but does she have to be the mom in every animated movie?
Streaker Prower wrote on AdrenalineRush1996's profile.
The Reason Why I choose the Disney's One Saturday Morning Name instead of ABC Kids it’s because I don’t want to confused it with the other ABC Kids, The one that airs The Australian Peppa Pig
Today marks the 10th Year Anniversary of when the 3DS Remake of Ocarina of Time was released in North America. Being able to play one of my favorite video games on the go has been very nice, to say the least.
Yesterday was Charlie Gavin's last day on The Mighty Ones.

Featured Posts