Is Rugrats going through another reputational decline?

dfwtoons

Perhaps a somewhat unpopular opinion, but I'd say Seasons 2-3 of the Rugrats had some of the best writing of any Nick animated series. That scene with Stu and the Pudding (and frankly that entire episode) is a good example that highlights this.

The problem is, those few episodes in the grand scheme of things make up a relatively small part of the Rugrats series as a whole, thus they kind of get drowned out by all the bad/mediocre episodes in retrospect.

I blame Arlene Klasky and her micromanagement entirely for ruining what could have been great things for the Rugrats had it not been cancelled initially.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Rugrats was at its best in the third season, because its writing took on a more cynical and edgier tone with episodes like The Gold Rush, Naked Tommy, Angelica's Worst Nightmare, Pickles vs. Pickles and The Sky is Falling. Plus great jokes for the adults who happened to be watching with their kids, like "Satchmo!" "The trumpet player?"

When season 4 debuted, even as a younger viewer I could tell it was softened quite a bit. I stopped watching soon after.

Last edited:
Perhaps a somewhat unpopular opinion, but I'd say Seasons 2-3 of the Rugrats had some of the best writing of any Nick animated series. That scene with Stu and the Pudding (and frankly that entire episode) is a good example that highlights this.

The problem is, those few episodes in the grand scheme of things make up a relatively small part of the Rugrats series as a whole, thus they kind of get drowned out by all the bad/mediocre episodes in retrospect.

I blame Arlene Klasky and her micromanagement entirely for ruining what could have been great things for the Rugrats had it not been cancelled initially.
Please consider that Arlene and Paul have successfully reconciled, which may not be widely known. Additionally, it's noteworthy that many of the writers for the reboot are experienced professionals who previously worked during the Germain era. This factor could account for the reduced presence of certain issues that viewers had with later episodes and even the resolution of some of those flaws.

While some individuals argue that the show's quality declined after Paul Germain's departure (Which I get, and even agree that his era of the original was the best), it's important to recognize that this perspective may not significantly influence the recent resurgence of online interest. The original show maintained its popularity until 2002, and during the peak of its nostalgic revival, some of the most cherished moments stem from the later years of the original series. (Nickelodeon's marketing efforts seemed to focus primarily on Seasons 1-3, even when it came to merchandise.)

The key point here is that some people tend to downplay the show's significance and attribute its appeal solely to nostalgia, despite the fact that the Germain era provides solid evidence to the contrary. Perhaps Saberspark's video on this topic, which garnered wider attention, has influenced people's perceptions. This is regrettable, considering that the debate is three decades old, and all parties involved have since reconciled.

Rugrats was at its best in the third season, because its writing took on a more cynical and edgier tone with episodes like The Gold Rush, Naked Tommy, Angelica's Worst Nightmare, Pickles vs. Pickles and The Sky is Falling. Plus great jokes for the adults who happened to be watching with their kids, like "Satchmo!" "The trumpet player?"

When season 4 debuted, even as a younger viewer I could tell it was softened quite a bit. I stopped watching soon after.
I must concur with that sentiment. Season 3 (or Season 5, as the initial 65 episodes were originally bundled as five seasons, but later restructured into three seasons in the 2000s, likely for syndication convenience) stands out as my preferred season from the original series, primarily due to its captivating color palette, as well as its profound character development and exploration. Moreover, its tone took on a more edgy quality, the humor grew more incisive, and the animation skillfully harnessed its inherent fluidity."

dfwtoons

Please consider that Arlene and Paul have successfully reconciled, which may not be widely known. Additionally, it's noteworthy that many of the writers for the reboot are experienced professionals who previously worked during the Germain era. This factor could account for the reduced presence of certain issues that viewers had with later episodes and even the resolution of some of those flaws.

While some individuals argue that the show's quality declined after Paul Germain's departure (Which I get, and even agree that his era of the original was the best), it's important to recognize that this perspective may not significantly influence the recent resurgence of online interest. The original show maintained its popularity until 2002, and during the peak of its nostalgic revival, some of the most cherished moments stem from the later years of the original series. (Nickelodeon's marketing efforts seemed to focus primarily on Seasons 1-3, even when it came to merchandise.)

The key point here is that some people tend to downplay the show's significance and attribute its appeal solely to nostalgia, despite the fact that the Germain era provides solid evidence to the contrary. Perhaps Saberspark's video on this topic, which garnered wider attention, has influenced people's perceptions. This is regrettable, considering that the debate is three decades old, and all parties involved have since reconciled.

I must concur with that sentiment. Season 3 (or Season 5, as the initial 65 episodes were originally bundled as five seasons, but later restructured into three seasons in the 2000s, likely for syndication convenience) stands out as my preferred season from the original series, primarily due to its captivating color palette, as well as its profound character development and exploration. Moreover, its tone took on a more edgy quality, the humor grew more incisive, and the animation skillfully harnessed its inherent fluidity."

I appreciate the perspective you put things in (and you certainly make some good points), but I still have some counterpoints to them.

1. I think most fans of Rugrats who are aware of the falling out between Klasky and Germain acknowledge they've since reconciled. But that still doesn't change the fact their dispute at the time due to their creative & managerial differences had a detrimental effect on the quality of the series in hindsight, and in all likelihood changed what could have been the trajectory of the series. And yes, many of the original writers may have returned for the current reboot. But that magic lost over 25 years isn't and never was going to be close to recaptured.

And none of what I'm saying is intended to be disrespectful to any of them as professionals. It's just my honest critique as a fan based on observations of the facts we know.

2. While it is true that the Rugrats peaked in popularity during the years of 1995 through 2000, the ratings from the years 1995 - 1997 were mostly from reruns of episodes during the Germain era. And I'd argue after 1997, the Rugrats were mostly riding a sugar high from its theatrical releases, which again the first film at least was greenlit due to the overwhelmingly reception of the Germain episodes. Also, I will admit that Season 4 wasn't too bad, but that's in part because a lot of the scripts were already written/unused before Germain left.

3. I respectfully disagree with you about the cherished moments from the later years. True, the later years had some novelties such as seeing the characters "All Grown Up" and insight into Chuckie's mom. But at the same time, from what I've observed, most of the references people make and positive memories people have of the Rugrats are from episodes and scenes in Seasons 2-3.

Last edited:

CartoonLover2604

Jerk, Dinger, Bling blong.
I was always mixed about Rugrats, I never hated it but never really got much out of it. Rugrats was always just the kind of show I'd watch if nothing else good was on but never by choice. Though to be fair, I grew up in the 2000s so this was after the hype and popularly of Rugrats had died down. Still though, I wish they'd given another Nicktoon a chance for a reboot/revival (preferably, a one or two season show they killed off early without giving it a chance.) Even Jimmy Neutron or Teenage Robot I'd be down to see come back but Rugrats already had nine seasons, three movies, and two spin-offs, they'd done everything with the show that I wish it just stayed dead.

I was always mixed about Rugrats, I never hated it but never really got much out of it. Rugrats was always just the kind of show I'd watch if nothing else good was on but never by choice. Though to be fair, I grew up in the 2000s so this was after the hype and popularly of Rugrats had died down. Still though, I wish they'd given another Nicktoon a chance for a reboot/revival (preferably, a one or two season show they killed off early without giving it a chance.) Even Jimmy Neutron or Teenage Robot I'd be down to see come back but Rugrats already had nine seasons, three movies, and two spin-offs, they'd done everything with the show that I wish it just stayed dead.
It appears that the situation may be as follows: Children of the 2000s were primarily exposed to animated series influenced by the likes of SpongeBob and Family Guy, while Rugrats, with its humor reminiscent of observational elements found in The Simpsons, had reached its peak popularity by that time. Towards the end of the 2000s, the Rugrats franchise had ceased active production. This decline in popularity coincided with a broader shift away from slice-of-life shows in favor of more humor-centric, gag-driven programming. This shift may have played a role in the recent revisionism of Rugrats, driven by nostalgia cycles.

Additionally, the phenomenon of '90s kid gatekeeping has not been conducive to Rugrats' legacy. The show was often held up as an emblem of this movement, and sometimes the fervor of certain fan bases can influence how others perceive the show. It's worth noting that in the 2010s, a number of individuals from Gen Z began discovering and enjoying Rugrats, thanks in part to occasional reruns of the original series on Nickelodeon. Therefore, it wouldn't be accurate for me to say that they haven't been exposed to the show at all.

I comprehend the sentiment that some may believe properties like Neutron and Teenage Robot, which had their runs prematurely cut short, are more deserving of reboots compared to Rugrats. However, it's essential to consider this perspective: Rugrats, in my view, possesses a timeless and evergreen quality akin to Peanuts. The endearing characters and premise have the capacity to resonate across generations. Although the original Rugrats may exhibit certain dated aspects, such as the parents embodying archetypes of the boomer generation, its enduring appeal allows it to connect with audiences regardless of the era.

The writers have acknowledged (See here: New Technology, New Generation of Viewers Inform ‘Rugrats’ Animation Style) that the original Rugrats explored a wide range of narratives, prompting them to opt for a refreshed continuity rather than replicating what the original series was known for. It's worth noting that Rugrats has remained dormant since the 2000s; it's not as though they have been repeatedly resurrecting it every few years. Given the substantial hiatus, a reboot can be viewed as a legitimate endeavor. Furthermore, the refreshed continuity allows the show to explore new storylines and concepts that the original did not.

Comparatively, properties like Blue's Clues, which had a similarly substantial run and multiple movies, were warmly welcomed upon their return. Additionally, Phineas and Ferb, which boasts nearly as much content and longevity as Rugrats, with two related spinoffs (including Hamster and Gretel and Milo Murphy's Law, connected within the same universe), has experienced a shorter gap between its original run and its return, but people are again welcoming towards that.
Much of the negativity surrounding the Rugrats reboot may be attributed to Nickelodeon's recent focus on IP drive. If Nickelodeon had a more balanced portfolio of original shows, and the Rugrats reboot was an exception rather than the norm, it is plausible that people would not only harbor fewer reservations about its existence.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
I think the series winning year after year in the Kids Choice Awards soured a lot of people on the series too. It wasn't until 2002 when something other than Rugrats finally won... and then in 2003 it was business as usual only with SpongeBob taking its mantle. (with 2008 being the ONLY outlier with Avatar winning that year)

I appreciate the perspective you put things in (and you certainly make some good points), but I still have some counterpoints to them.

1. I think most fans of Rugrats who are aware of the falling out between Klasky and Germain acknowledge they've since reconciled. But that still doesn't change the fact their dispute at the time due to their creative & managerial differences had a detrimental effect on the quality of the series in hindsight, and in all likelihood changed what could have been the trajectory of the series. And yes, many of the original writers may have returned for the current reboot. But that magic lost over 25 years isn't and never was going to be close to recaptured.

And none of what I'm saying is intended to be disrespectful to any of them as professionals. It's just my honest critique as a fan based on observations of the facts we know.

2. While it is true that the Rugrats peaked in popularity during the years of 1995 through 2000, the ratings from the years 1995 - 1997 were mostly from reruns of episodes during the Germain era. And I'd argue after 1997, the Rugrats were mostly riding a sugar high from its theatrical releases, which again the first film at least was greenlit due to the overwhelmingly reception of the Germain episodes. Also, I will admit that Season 4 wasn't too bad, but that's in part because a lot of the scripts were already written/unused before Germain left.

3. I respectfully disagree with you about the cherished moments from the later years. True, the later years had some novelties such as seeing the characters "All Grown Up" and insight into Chuckie's mom. But at the same time, from what I've observed, most of the references people make and positive memories people have of the Rugrats are from episodes and scenes in Seasons 2-3.
There are individuals on YouTube and Twitter who appear to be unaware of the reconciliation between different aspects of a series when discussing its overall quality. I want to emphasize that my intention is not to diminish the significance of the Paul Germain era in any way. I have consistently expressed my preference for this particular era within the original series. I have even had the privilege of engaging in conversations with Paul Germain, including a Skype call, during which he displayed a delightful and passionate commitment to the series. He even provided valuable assistance with a video script I was working on a few months ago. Paul Germain was undeniably the driving creative force behind the original series, and the Germain era played a pivotal role in the show's popularity. However, I believe that his departure alone cannot be solely attributed to the decline in the original show's popularity.

When we assess the second run of the series, its popularity endured for approximately five and a half years, until the summer of 2002, when SpongeBob SquarePants eventually surpassed it. This was an impressive duration for any show to remain popular. Even after that, the franchise still maintained a level of profitability. The series concluded because the network wanted to shift its focus to "All Grown Up" and cater to the next generation, as indicated by statements from individuals associated with the series. "All Grown Up" lasted five seasons and until the purge, pulled in solid ratings. Unfortunately, "All Grown Up" also fell victim to changes during the Zarghami era at Nickelodeon. While there was a decline in ratings, it wasn't a dramatic drop, only decreasing by a few points.

Naturally, the popularity of Rugrats would diminish over time, as is the case with most long-running shows (SpongeBob itself experienced occasional declines in popularity, although it remained unrivaled in terms of ratings, except for a brief period when "Loud House" gained traction). Contrary to some revisionist claims online, SpongeBob SquarePants was not responsible for Rugrats' decline in popularity. Rather, it was a combination of unfortunate circumstances, including changes at Nickelodeon and creative differences, that contributed to the original series' conclusion.

I would like to point out that the reboot blends elements of both later eras and the Germain era in its writing. Episodes crafted by writers like Rachel Lipman and Michael Ferris, for instance, capture some of the essence and tone of the Germain era. "My Friend Twinkle" is a prime example, featuring elements of the edginess and cynical humor that characterized the Germain era.

I am not aware of any other sources that explicitly mention the existence of Season 4 episodes as leftover scripts from Paul's tenure on the show. The only episode that appears to have been under consideration was "Chanukah," a concept that Nick initially wanted to pursue. However, one of Paul's writers advised against it and proposed the idea of creating an episode centered around Passover instead.

It is true that many of the most cherished episodes are from Paul's era, but my earlier point was directed more toward the perspective of the broader public, as opposed to dedicated fans like yourself and me who believe the earlier seasons were the best. There are memorable moments that extend beyond specific elements such as Chuckie's mom and "All Grown Up." These include moments like "Rugrats in Paris," "Angelica's Last Stand," "Angelica Orders Out," "Word of the Day," "Piggy's Pizza Palace," "Angelica's Ballet," "Famous Babies," "Ghost Story," "Chuckie's Complaint," "Acorn Nuts and Diapey Butts," and "Discover America." Among the later episodes, the introduction of Kimi is particularly well-remembered, and it garnered praise from fans for its impact on Chuckie's character development. This was so significant that there were even concerns about aging up Kimi in later seasons, as it might have been perceived as a retcon, despite the reboot existing in a different continuity.

In my personal opinion, while Paul's era undoubtedly played a pivotal role in the show's success, it is important to recognize that many of these other episodes do also stick in viewer's minds, regardless of what era people think the show peaked in quality.

90'sKid

I don't think its so much a new decline, as it is just that NuRugrats aired òn a streaming site so didn't get as many views and once the initial hype wore off people just kinda shrugged and went "whatever".

Much like how there was alot of discourse about the Patrick Star Show or Kamp Koral but not you hardly see anyone talk about them anymore (outside of dedicated toon forums like here).

Sent from my SM-A236U using Tapatalk

I don't think its so much a new decline, as it is just that NuRugrats aired òn a streaming site so didn't get as many views and once the initial hype wore off people just kinda shrugged and went "whatever".

Much like how there was alot of discourse about the Patrick Star Show or Kamp Koral but not you hardly see anyone talk about them anymore (outside of dedicated toon forums like here).

I would like to challenge the prevailing notion that this show is underperforming. The perception of underperformance may stem from the fact that it doesn't receive consistent online discussions, and when it does, the tone is often either negative or indifferent. However, it's worth noting that this show consistently holds the third position in the kids' section on Paramount+. Notably, during the release of Season 2, there was minimal advertising, yet it managed to secure a spot in the top 10 trending shows on the service for over a month. Similarly, when the final 13 episodes of Season 1 premiered in 2022, they lacked significant advertising support but still attained the third position on Paramount+ trending.

Furthermore, the fact that a third season is currently in production, which is a rare occurrence for Nicktoons or most streaming shows today, speaks to its popularity among children. Some of the voice actors even attract a significant number of young fans at convention booths, and merchandise associated with the show consistently sells out. It's important to acknowledge that it might be the older audiences who express indifference or negativity, and the absence of widespread online discussions should not automatically translate to underperformance.

What I'm suggesting is that the recent shift toward reevaluating Rugrats, along with a growing weariness of overreliance on 1990s Nickelodeon nostalgia, has contributed to the negative perception of the reboot online. It's interesting to recall that many who later expressed opposition to the reboot were initially quite enthusiastic about its return and were willing to give it a fair chance. The 2021 iteration of Rugrats found itself in a saturated market, where numerous intellectual properties were being rehashed, and much of the marketing gave the impression that it was merely a computer-generated version of the original, without adequately conveying that it offered a fresh interpretation.

It's unfortunate that the reboot is often perceived as a ploy to exploit nostalgia, as it stands out as one of the most impressive reboots in recent memory. Rather than relying on the sentimentality of 90s kids, it engages viewers with a distinctive storytelling approach, fosters a deep connection with the characters, and introduces meaningful improvements and variations that appeal to both children and adults, even if they have no prior knowledge of the original series. For instance, the episode "Rescuing Cynthia" explores themes reminiscent of the Barbie movie and demonstrated a forward-thinking approach. Interestingly, the reboot's quality seemed to improve significantly once the initial online hype had subsided. Had it been released during a more typical time, free from the influence of intellectual properties, I could easily envision this reboot being as beloved as DuckTales or Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Pooky

Staff member
I've gotta say I personally more closely associate Hey Arnold and Rocko"s Modern Life with "'90s kid gatekeeping". At the height of the whole "90s kid" thing, those were the shows I often saw cited as the platonic ideal of "what cartoons should be".

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
I've gotta say I personally more closely associate Hey Arnold and Rocko"s Modern Life with "'90s kid gatekeeping". At the height of the whole "90s kid" thing, those were the shows I often saw cited as the platonic ideal of "what cartoons should be".
This is true. I've yet to meet a 90's kid who's not a fan of Hey, Arnold!. There are YouTubers who hold up episodes like the Christmas special and "Helga on the Couch" like they're high art akin to Casablanca.

Not pointing fingers, I'm a little guilty of this too, as a Gen Xer who'd love to see more shows like Rocko on TV.

Pooky

Staff member
I'm the same, but then as a rule (there are exceptions) slice of life shows aren't my favorite. That's one reason why I generally prefer Cartoon Network's original shows to Nickelodeon's.

90'sKid

This is true. I've yet to meet a 90's kid who's not a fan of Hey, Arnold!. There are YouTubers who hold up episodes like the Christmas special and "Helga on the Couch" like they're high art akin to Casablanca.

Not pointing fingers, I'm a little guilty of this too, as a Gen Xer who'd love to see more shows like Rocko on TV.
I actually never cared for Hey Arnold, just wasn't one for those "Slice of Life" shows. Hey Arnold, As told by Ginger, Proud Family, etc.

I think that's why I never got into All Grown Up as it was just another of those tween SoL shows.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
It's funny how all guys are 'coming out' as non- Hey, Arnold fans to me...when I was never into the show myself (though I'm not a 90's kid). The irony here is so delicious it must be fattening.

Moe

It's funny how all guys are 'coming out' as non- Hey, Arnold fans to me...when I was never into the show myself (though I'm not a 90's kid). The irony here is so delicious it must be fattening.
You definitely part of H-B/Filmation cartoon generation in 1970s and 1980s.

Thread would have to called "Is Scooby-Doo (or clones) going through another reputational decline?

Dynamite Soldier

Speaking for myself first, I did watch a lot of Rugrats as a kid and loved it. However, looking back at it as an adult now, it’s still good, but I started appreciating better unique 90s Nicktoons like Rocko’s Modern Life, Hey Arnold!, The Angry Beavers, and The Wild Thornberrys more. I guess I outgrew the concept of babies being imaginative in their own little world as I got older.

I do still watch Rugrats every now and then, but I wouldn’t really call it a favorite of mine (at least not currently). Can’t speak for the 2021 reboot since I haven’t seen much of it, although I will say that the CGI animation and character models look pretty good.

As for the franchise itself going through another decline, I would probably agree with you there. The 2021 reboot isn’t seemingly talked about enough from both the kids of this current generation and the adults who grew up watching the original series (although they’re still very nostalgic for the OG series). Even Nick doesn’t seem to care about the franchise as much as they used to, since they rarely air reruns of both the reboot (even though it’s a Paramount+ original) and the original series on the main network and Nicktoons nowadays. That being said, Rugrats is still a relatively popular franchise even in 2023, but I would say it’s long past its prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts