"Max (Warner Bros. Discovery Streaming Service)" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

lowell

I do hope that subscribers who pay 5 a month for Boomerang would be grandfathered under HBOmax.
Maybe they'll give the DC Universe and Boomerang subscribers a discounted price for a year or two if they're moved over to HBO Max.

lowell

Right now it's either or. Seeing how DCU is cheaper in comparison to HBOmax, they aren't willing to allow us to keep the low price, Id personally rather stick with DCU. Also, I support niche/genre programming like Shudder and Crunchyroll who are hanging in there, even though it isn't my thing.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
There's also the fact Otter Media (who operates Crunchyroll, VRV, and Rooster Teeth) is part of WarnerMedia. I remember there was some mention of Crunchyroll somehow factoring into HBO Max, wonder how's that going to work and if VRV and Rooster Teeth will end up following the same path.

It does make sense that AT&T wants to bring the subscriber base together into one platform since it's likely more expensive managing multiple services than one main one and it's also a fast way to grow the service out.

zeebre12

What happened to the CW Seed linear channel that was meant to start at the end of 2019?

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Right now it's either or. Seeing how DCU is cheaper in comparison to HBOmax, they aren't willing to allow us to keep the low price, Id personally rather stick with DCU. Also, I support niche/genre programming like Shudder and Crunchyroll who are hanging in there, even though it isn't my thing.

But Crunchyroll has non-subscriber based ad-supported versions. You can view Crunchyroll without subscribing to it.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
But Crunchyroll has non-subscriber based ad-supported versions. You can view Crunchyroll without subscribing to it.

Hulu kind of has the same thing where you have the option of paying with or without ads the withoutbads was included in the Disney+ bundle.

the greenman

Well, Shoutfactory has both a YouTube channel and an app for movies, tv series, etc.

8c534817b8faee883a0616f82b4c8126.jpg

Last edited:

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
I guess my point is, Crunchyroll is unique enough, where I can see it doesn't have to get absorbed by HBO Max or it won't get cannibalized.

Crunchyroll has its own browser based ad supported format. You can watch the anime for free with ads on its own app. You don't have to subscribe to it to watch a lot of the content if you don't mind the ads. It can still stand on its own for the time being.

I feel less that way about DC Universe if the plan is to also include DC Entertainment content on HBO Max.

the greenman

I guess my point is, Crunchyroll is unique enough, where I can see it doesn't have to get absorbed by HBO Max or it won't get cannibalized.

Crunchyroll has its own browser based ad supported format. You can watch the anime for free with ads on its own app. You don't have to subscribe to it to watch a lot of the content if you don't mind the ads. It can still stand on its own for the time being.

I feel less that way about DC Universe if the plan is to also include DC Entertainment content on HBO Max.
So, how much variety of Anime exactly is on Crunchyroll? 1960's through 2000's? Does it have Kimba the White Lion, Gigantor, Speed Racer through Sailor Moon, Yugioh, through My Hero Academia, Death Note?

My issue, even with DC Universe, is it is not yet the one stop for DC entertainment. Heck, now Netflix has the upcoming Sandman series too. We also don't (probably won't have for awhile) Preacher, or Watchmen, or Y: the Last Man either. So, as much as I do enjoy my DC Universe, I am not exactly sure just how much they even want to hold on to it. Though I'm sure it's still being considered in the experimental stages. Honestly, I'm kinda annoyed that there simply cannot be an all inclusive collection of everyone's stuff. 90's Sci-Fi Channel was possibly the last time I saw something like that, and it didn't last too long. Even Disney is out of Bixby's Incredible Hulk and Hanna Barbera's Fantastic Four. It is what is. *shrugs*

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
So, how much variety of Anime exactly is on Crunchyroll? 1960's through 2000's? Does it have Kimba the White Lion, Gigantor, Speed Racer through Sailor Moon, Yugioh, through My Hero Academia, Death Note?

Yugioh and Death Note are on there. I'm not a huge Crunchyroll viewer, so I couldn't honestly tell you if they have the best variety, but they have a lot of the new shows and simulcasts. IMHO, they have a better variety than anime on Netflix.

My issue, even with DC Universe, is it is not yet the one stop for DC entertainment. Heck, now Netflix has the upcoming Sandman series too. We also don't (probably won't have for awhile) Preacher, or Watchmen, or Y: the Last Man either. So, as much as I do enjoy my DC Universe, I am not exactly sure just how much they even want to hold on to it. Though I'm sure it's still being considered in the experimental stages. Honestly, I'm kinda annoyed that there simply cannot be an all inclusive collection of everyone's stuff. 90's Sci-Fi Channel was possibly the last time I saw something like that, and it didn't last too long. Even Disney is out of Bixby's Incredible Hulk and Hanna Barbera's Fantastic Four. It is what is. *shrugs*

Here's one solution: just make DC Universe part of HBO Max. Set up different tiers.

the greenman

Well what do you think of tiers?

The idea seems obvious for porting over DCU into HBOmax. However, DCUniverse needs has enough. The DC Daily talkshow even did a commentary "roundtable" series on the old Birds of Prey. As we know they did select commentaries on Young Justice episodes, and that is imho more valuable than just putting content on a site. If they can truly replace physical media by putting these special features, I think I and anyone into that stiff will be more on board.

Frontier

Staff member
I would say, in terms of variety in genre, Crunchyroll has plenty of content and definitely some of the series you list.

lowell

Yugioh and Death Note are on there. I'm not a huge Crunchyroll viewer, so I couldn't honestly tell you if they have the best variety, but they have a lot of the new shows and simulcasts. IMHO, they have a better variety than anime on Netflix.

Here's one solution: just make DC Universe part of HBO Max. Set up different tiers.
Nah, don't make tiers, just move DC Universe subscribers over to HBO Max and use their current DCU subscription price as their HBO Max price for 2-3 years before charging them the regular $14.99.

I think they should do the same for Boomerang subscribers if the entire WarnerMedia animation library is going to be up there and there's a likelihood HBO Max will help take over HBO Now's and HBO Go's roles anyway in the near future.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Nah, don't make tiers, just move DC Universe subscribers over to HBO Max and use their current DCU subscription price as their HBO Max price for 2-3 years before charging them the regular $14.99.

I think they should do the same for Boomerang subscribers if the entire WarnerMedia animation library is going to be up there and there's a likelihood HBO Max will help take over HBO Now's and HBO Go's roles anyway in the near future.

It's an idea, but I have a feeling they will keep them separate for a while until they figure out what to do with them.

lowell

This is another signal that DC Universe might be done but folded into probably DC's version of Marvel Unlimited and content and subscribers will be transferred over to HBO Max:

This could be the first animated series set in the DCEU and it continues where the first Aquaman film left off.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
At the TCA Winter Tour, HBO Max content chief Kevin Reilly commented they are still trying to figure things out with the DC shows and ideally wants shows to air in tandem on both services. One quote of his is "We're working out what those mechanics are. We have to figure out those two subscriptions, and we haven't worked out the mechanics of what that's going to look like."

the greenman

Where did they say that?
"Our WarnerMedia partners made some exciting news today, and we’re psyched! We also want to assure you that DC Universe is still going strong with an exciting year of super-fan service coming through this year and next. From our original programming, library of beloved series, ever-expanding comic library, real world events, and our just launched all-new Community, we’re just getting started.

"As a quick reminder of the latest news we announced at New York Comic Con, you can look forward to:

- DCYOU: Unscripted – our invitation to fans to develop a show that might premiere on DC Universe next year

- Bizarro TV – our animated anthology

"and – of course – the can’t-come-soon-enough premiere of…

- Harley Quinn Animated, along with

- Doom Patrol Season 2!

"...as well as other exciting stuff we just can’t talk about yet.

"We’ll continue to be here for our fans, and use our amazing Community to share upcoming exciting news … so stay tuned!"

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
I’m expecting HBO Max to have a great first year. There are several CN originals expected to premiere on the service this year. I think Close Enough will premiere at launch though Fungies and Tig ‘n Seek premiere shortly after. As for WB animation, Looney Tunes might come out this year but others like Jellystone and Aquaman won’t come out until early next year.

the greenman

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts