HBO MAX: AT&T's new Streaming service

Latest News & Videos

lowell

Aug 11, 2018
San Francisco
The company's called WarnerMedia and before it, Time Warner and Warner Communications, not HBOMedia.

It would make more sense to name the service with a Warner-centric name, to make people realize what the company consists of.

I heard suggestions like WarnerMax or WarnerVision, or even WarnerWorld would be a better name for the service.

Maybe they could change the name by next year's official rollout after getting beta feedback at the end of this year.

Last edited:

Jonwo

Sep 27, 2009
London
I wouldn't be surprised if WarnerMedia had already done research on whether a Warner branded service would sell compared to a HBO branded service and perhaps the results were in HBO's favour.

Reactions: MegasMilo379

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
Leviathan, with all due respect, you're the one who said it, not them. I think we should wait for them to say anything first before we jump to any conclusions, and frankly, I'm hoping Boomerang will remain separate.

As for the name, I don't like it either. As people have mentioned before, HBO MAX--regardless of whether the name had already existed or not--references their two premium cable channels: HBO and Cinemax. Having all of Warner Bros.' shows under this name implies that HBO and/or Cinemax somehow aired on those networks originally, when they didn't. It doesn't matter how "popular" (a word that may not mean what some people think it means) the name is. Putting them all even just under the HBO name is...short-sighted to put it one way. The Warner Bros. name is just as "recognizable" as the HBO name. I mean, we have their classic characters to thank for that. I really, truly, honestly think that they should come up with a different name; one that references the entire company and its history, not just one part of it.

lowell

Aug 11, 2018
San Francisco
Leviathan, with all due respect, you're the one who said it, not them. I think we should wait for them to say anything first before we jump to any conclusions, and frankly, I'm hoping Boomerang will remain separate.

As for the name, I don't like it either. As people have mentioned before, HBO MAX--regardless of whether the name had already existed or not--references their two premium cable channels: HBO and Cinemax. Having all of Warner Bros.' shows under this name implies that HBO and/or Cinemax somehow aired on those networks originally, when they didn't. It doesn't matter how "popular" (a word that may not mean what some people think it means) the name is. Putting them all even just under the HBO name is...short-sighted to put it one way. The Warner Bros. name is just as "recognizable" as the HBO name. I mean, we have their classic characters to thank for that. I really, truly, honestly think that they should come up with a different name; one that references the entire company and its history, not just one part of it.
There might be a logical reason to bring Boomerang into the service: WarnerMedia wants to bring all the animation libraries together as a curated collection on HBO Max from Warner Bros., Turner Entertainment, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Boomerang, and also animated shows that have aired on HBO and from Otter Media.

This is going to be their equivalent of Disney having their animation library from the WDAS films, Disney Television Animation shows (including shows from Disney Channel, Disney XD, and Disney Junior), Pixar films and shorts, Marvel and Lucasfilm Animation productions, the Simpsons' run so far, etc. on Disney+ and everything else from Fox Television Animation on Hulu.

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
This is going to be their equivalent of Disney having their animation library from the WDAS films, Disney Television Animation shows (including shows from Disney Channel, Disney XD, and Disney Junior), Pixar films and shorts, Marvel and Lucasfilm Animation productions, the Simpsons' run so far, etc. on Disney+ and everything else from Fox Television Animation on Hulu.
All the more reason to use the Warner Bros. name in some way ("Warner Max", maybe?).

Also, I really goofed on a sentence in my previous post. That should be either "...implies that HBO and/or Cinemax somehow aired these shows originally", or "...implies that these shows somehow aired on these networks originally". I didn't catch that until now. I'm really sorry about that, everyone.

Reactions: Radical Buster

Jonwo

Sep 27, 2009
London
There might be a logical reason to bring Boomerang into the service: WarnerMedia wants to bring all the animation libraries together as a curated collection on HBO Max from Warner Bros., Turner Entertainment, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Boomerang, and also animated shows that have aired on HBO and from Otter Media.

I wonder if we may see new Looney Tunes Cartoons shorts on HBO Max. I wouldn't be surprised if it's get a number of exclusive shorts that debut there first.

Dillon Arias

Apr 30, 2018
I wonder if we are going to see any Cartoon Network Classics like Dexter’s Laboratory and Billy & Mandy on HBO Max

Dillon Arias

Apr 30, 2018
I sure hope so. Boomerang's own app is taking its sweet time adding the Cartoon Cartoons. It's been 2 years and they only have 5 up. Ridiculous.
Especially since Boomerang removed all of the CN Classics that they air late at night which are (Chowder, KND, Dexter’s Lab, Courage, Grim and Foster’s)

lowell

Aug 11, 2018
San Francisco
Especially since Boomerang removed all of the CN Classics that they air late at night which are (Chowder, KND, Dexter’s Lab, Courage, Grim and Foster’s)
It's likely all the animated libraries Warner has in its archive, including every animated show from CN, Boomerang, Adult Swim, other Turner channels, HBO, and Otter services.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
Im not in disagreement at all. The idea of everything altogether is fine. DCUniverse is said to continue on for now. Really hoping on new YJ & maybe Swampie when I watch it. I think Katy Keene is exclusive to this new service.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Dillon Arias

Apr 30, 2018
The streaming service should’ve been called WarnerMedia Max considering that WarnerMedia is the one who has control over the streaming service

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Mar 11, 2005
California, USA
adultswim.toonzone.net
I'm torn on the name.

Pro: I'm glad they're not giving it a generic name like "Plus," "Go," or "Now" like all the other streaming services are doing. "Max" helps them stand out.

Con: Naming it after HBO seems too narrow. It needs a better name, one that fits the entire Warner library and not just one of its brands.

The streaming service should’ve been called WarnerMedia Max considering that WarnerMedia is the one who has control over the streaming service
I think just WarnerMax would be better. WarnerMedia Max sounds like a bit too much of a mouthful.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Why did SDCC have to happen during the same weekend as Vinesauce Is Hope?
With how widespread the Joy-Con analog drift issue is, I'm honestly surprised I haven't had that issue yet. I've had my console for almost two years.
Is Nick doing anything for SDCC
I hope Trevor Devall is in the PPG 2016 reboot.