Have Seasons 7-9 of Family Guy been vindicated recently?

Latest News & Videos

OmegaAlpha23

Mar 1, 2018
Seasons 7-9 was when Family Guy really exploded in the mainstream (Seth MacFarlane became a celebrity, FOX's new mascot, MacFarlane dominating Animation Domination, dethroning The Simpsons, people quoting it, wearing Stewie T shirts, Family Guy cosplays at conventions, enjoying huge ratings, and being the most liked show on Facebook. Also, the era when Family Guy had a ratings wave), but that era also gained alot of detractors online when it was airing, for putting gags ahead of the plot, character changes, overdose of shock humor and language, being moire serious than it had every right to be, and being very different to Seasons 1-3.

Family Guy had it's reputation thrashed in 2014-2017, partly because of this era. But recently, like Phineas and Ferb (Another show that was popular the same timeframe, but had an identical crash and burn), it looks like some people are beginning to be nostalgic for that era. People are posting memes from this era, making positive reviews about episodes from this era, most of the episodes fans appear to like and remember aired in this era, and alot of people are considering these seasons part of the golden age now (Seasons 1-9), and some go to the extent of saying that this was the pinnacle era of Family Guy. Even Seth MacFarlane's favorite episodes are mostly from this era. So am I alone in thinking this era of Family Guy has received some reevaluation lately?

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
MOD NOTE: In general, discussion of old episodes of Family Guy should still be done on the General Animation forum. So I'm moving this thread back to the General Animation forum.

The Freeform thread is a unique situation. A lot of things are still up in the air, as we await to see what Disney does with the Family Guy license going forward. But let's not detract further from the subject in the opening post anymore. I deleted some off topic posts. There will be (or there already are) threads for discussing the Family Guy/Disney dynamic.

Last edited:

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
Seasons 7-9 was when Family Guy really exploded in the mainstream (Seth MacFarlane became a celebrity, FOX's new mascot, MacFarlane dominating Animation Domination, dethroning The Simpsons, people quoting it, wearing Stewie T shirts, Family Guy cosplays at conventions, enjoying huge ratings, and being the most liked show on Facebook. Also, the era when Family Guy had a ratings wave), but that era also gained alot of detractors online when it was airing, for putting gags ahead of the plot, character changes, overdose of shock humor and language, being moire serious than it had every right to be, and being very different to Seasons 1-3.
What you described, I thought that was what occurred when Family Guy seasons 4-6 (2005 to 2008) was on the air. Not during seasons 7-9 (2008-2011).

I thought Family Guy was at the height of it's pop culture popularity between 2005 and 2008. That's when it got it's first "spinoff" (American Dad, in 2005). That's when it surpassed the Simpsons.

Family Guy had it's reputation thrashed in 2014-2017, partly because of this era. But recently, like Phineas and Ferb (Another show that was popular the same timeframe, but had an identical crash and burn), it looks like some people are beginning to be nostalgic for that era. People are posting memes from this era, making positive reviews about episodes from this era, most of the episodes fans appear to like and remember aired in this era, and alot of people are considering these seasons part of the golden age now (Seasons 1-9), and some go to the extent of saying that this was the pinnacle era of Family Guy. Even Seth MacFarlane's favorite episodes are mostly from this era. So am I alone in thinking this era of Family Guy has received some reevaluation lately?
Interesting way to look at it. I think it's too simple to lump ALL of Seasons 1-9 into a "Golden Age" for the show. Season 9 completes the "Star Wars" mockery trilogy with the "It's a Trap!" episode finale. So that kinda is a good stopping point....but I think the "Golden Age" ended after Season 6 (the "Stewie Kills Lois/Lois Kills Stewie" episodes could've been a series finale for the show).

I discussed this more here in this thread:

When should Family Guy have ended?

Yeah, 2014 to 2017 is probably when Family Guy fatigue truly kicked in (if not sooner) but...it wasn't due to memories of Seasons 7-9. I think it was due to the episodes airing between 2014 and 2017.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
It always amuses me that Family Guy fans think the show has gone downhill since its relaunch. I personally think the first 50 episodes are probably in the bottom ten worst cartoons of all time. It's like the show suddenly comes back with funny jokes, elaborate musical numbers, real subtext and weight, and jaw-dropping animation, and THAT'S when the Philistines have a problem with it. People ragging on current Family Guy is one of the biggest things to state the internet fandom hate squad is a total joke.

OmegaAlpha23

Mar 1, 2018
What you described, I thought that was what occurred when Family Guy seasons 4-6 (2005 to 2008) was on the air. Not during seasons 7-9 (2008-2011).

Interesting way to look at it. I think it's too simple to lump ALL of Seasons 1-9 into a "Golden Age" for the show. Season 9 completes the "Star Wars" mockery trilogy with the "It's a Trap!" episode finale. So that kinda is a good stopping point....but I think the "Golden Age" ended after Season 6 (the "Stewie Kills Lois/Lois Kills Stewie" episodes could've been a series finale for the show).

I discussed this more here in this thread:

When should Family Guy have ended?

Yeah, 2014 to 2017 is probably when Family Guy fatigue truly kicked in (if not sooner) but...it wasn't due to memories of Seasons 7-9. I think it was due to the episodes airing between 2014 and 2017.
No, Family Guy was popular then, but still had more of a cult following, and was mostly popular towards animation fans. 2008 is when it really exploded into mainstream popularity, and took over The Simpsons in every piece of pop culture. Everyone watched it, loved it, quoted it, treated it as if it was the second coming, talked about it, wore Family Guy items of clothing, played clips of the show everywhere,it was the most liked show on Facebook, and in 2008, began dominating The Simpsons in ratings, and went onto be the most popular cartoon of that time. It's pop culture popularity height was 2008-2011. The four major things that were popular in that era were Family Guy, The Hangover, Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, and Phineas and Ferb.

It was so popular in 2011, that FOX was willing to give up The Simpsons because Family Guy was their new mascot, and MacFarlane was about to herald the Flintstones reboot. Alot of Family Guy inspired shows also took off during that era too, and Family Guy inspired movies like The Hangover. It was still popular in 2012, and 2013, just to a lesser extent, but it's after Life of Brian that the show's popularity really fell off and people suffered fatigue from the show and it felt that FOX was pushing it to the side, and focusing more on The Simpsons again. All of the merchandise went, it's fanbase shrunk, and for a while, people were so sick of it that they thought that liking it to begin with was considered an old shame. But now, Seasons 7-9 are becoming popular again to the point of where people actually consider those seasons the peak of the show. Even though it's just Rocket Power with adult humor.

Last edited:

OmegaAlpha23

Mar 1, 2018
Source? If you don't have an article to back that up that idea is full of crap.

If The Simpsons was so sacred to FOX, they wouldn't have thought of cancelling it. FOX was pushing The Simpsons out for Family Guy to be it's new mascot. That's how popular Family Guy was back then.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
That article doesn't say what you say it does. It says The Simpsons had gotten too expensive to keep going without financial changes. You are saying that Fox wanted to dump it in favor of MacFarlane. If anything, Fox keeping the show for an additional ten years despite losing money on it shows how integral it is to the brand.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShadowBeast

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
2 things to consider in "When was Family Guy most popular?":

#1: The Simpsons movie in the summer of 2007, which basically re-ignited interest in the series, and
#2: The Writer's strike of 2007/2008 (which forced Family Guy creators to cut short Season 6).

It just seems like Family Guy was on the rise before these things occurred, but the Simpsons movie gave the Simpsons TV show a new lease on life. Instead of handing over the reigns to Family Guy in 2008, they seemed to share popularity (and then along came "The Cleveland Show" in 2009, which was NOT as successful as American Dad)...

But these are just my memory of events...

No, Family Guy was popular then, but still had more of a cult following, and was mostly popular towards animation fans. 2008 is when it really exploded into mainstream popularity, and took over The Simpsons in every piece of pop culture. Everyone watched it, loved it, quoted it, treated it as if it was the second coming, talked about it, wore Family Guy items of clothing, played clips of the show everywhere,it was the most liked show on Facebook, and in 2008, began dominating The Simpsons in ratings, and went onto be the most popular cartoon of that time. It's pop culture popularity height was 2008-2011. The four major things that were popular in that era were Family Guy, The Hangover, Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, and Phineas and Ferb.
Throw in "Guitar Hero/Rock Band" video games and Adventure Time, while you're at it.

OmegaAlpha23

Mar 1, 2018
Family Guy was popular in 2007, more than it was before the revival, but it was still moderate, and really popular within cartoon communities. The Simpsons was still more well known, and popular than Family Guy. Family Guy actually got MORE popular after the writer's strike, and in 2008, completely usurped The Simpsons in popularity, and for 3 years, was the alpha cartoon, not just with adults, but everyone. It dominated pop culture, and was about as popular as SpongeBob. Even with the failure of The Cleveland Show, there was nothing that could stop Family Guy. I'm actually surprised it fell as hard as it did in 2013, because it seemed like it would be popular forever. The Simpsons was so unpopular during 2008-2011, that even admitting to liking it would be met with people calling you "gay" and "uncool". No one admitted to liking The Simpsons in public anymore, with some exceptions.

Also, Adventure Time wasn't that popular in 2010-2011. It was popular, but again, moderately. The big cheese of cartoons in the late 2000s and early 2010s was Phineas and Ferb. But P&F's popularity crashed down hard in 2012, and Adventure Time broke out and went onto become the big hit of the 2010s. Adventure Time's popularity, next to Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, Rick and Morty is part of why Phineas and Ferb, Family Guy, and American Dad all declined in popularity in the mid 2010s.

ToonsJazzLover

Jan 31, 2010
Laredo, TX
I’m binging the 6th Production season (which season 7 was leftovers and ever since then it been one season behind), and in hindsight it’s not as bad as people made it out to be. I mean Brian does becomes a more insufferable character with his preaching, and the jokes becomes more explanatory (having the characters explain to the audience for no reason) as well as being more self aware (this was around the time Chowder and Phineas and Ferb were new which both shows also use the fourth wall). The plots become more out of focus and tone gets more cynical than ever but since it’s already been a decade, I’m used to it. I’m in the minority (although I don’t exactly agree with Fone Bone that much) that think the show’s best episodes were actually made after season 3. Post revival run is the definitive Family Guy due to how more experimental and gimmicky (in a good way) it gotten.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
Family Guy was popular in 2007, more than it was before the revival, but it was still moderate, and really popular within cartoon communities. The Simpsons was still more well known, and popular than Family Guy. Family Guy actually got MORE popular after the writer's strike, and in 2008, completely usurped The Simpsons in popularity, and for 3 years, was the alpha cartoon, not just with adults, but everyone. It dominated pop culture, and was about as popular as SpongeBob. Even with the failure of The Cleveland Show, there was nothing that could stop Family Guy. I'm actually surprised it fell as hard as it did in 2013, because it seemed like it would be popular forever. The Simpsons was so unpopular during 2008-2011, that even admitting to liking it would be met with people calling you "gay" and "uncool". No one admitted to liking The Simpsons in public anymore, with some exceptions.
Not sure I fully agree, but if Family Guy was at the height of it's popularity in 2009 (when Cleveland Show premiered) then the show's popularity had tanked by the time Cleveland Show was cancelled (in 2013). Maybe the introduction of "Bob's Burgers" in 2011 showed FOX that they didn't have to rely on Seth McFarland and that's when the decline for "Family Guy" truly began.

I'm more of the opinion that Family Guy was already starting to slowly decline by 2009 and that the Cleveland Show was a misfire on FOX's part....and by the time they cancelled the Cleveland Show, the decline for Family Guy was in full swing.

But I could be wrong.

Also, Adventure Time wasn't that popular in 2010-2011. It was popular, but again, moderately.
You may be right, perhaps "Adventure Time" didn't truly take off as a pop culture thing until 2012. Same for "Regular Show".

I'm trying to think what other animated shows were HUGE popular around 2009/2010. But I can't think of any right now. I think the animation industry went into a slump following the Writer's strike of 2008. It was a period of transition.

OmegaAlpha23

Mar 1, 2018
I’m binging the 6th Production season (which season 7 was leftovers and ever since then it been one season behind), and in hindsight it’s not as bad as people made it out to be. I mean Brian does becomes a more insufferable character with his preaching, and the jokes becomes more explanatory (having the characters explain to the audience for no reason) as well as being more self aware (this was around the time Chowder and Phineas and Ferb were new which both shows also use the fourth wall). The plots become more out of focus and tone gets more cynical than ever but since it’s already been a decade, I’m used to it. I’m in the minority (although I don’t exactly agree with Fone Bone that much) that think the show’s best episodes were actually made after season 3. Post revival run is the definitive Family Guy due to how more experimental and gimmicky (in a good way) it gotten.
The show's formula also changed, because it went from being about the mishaps of an American family to being about Brian and Stewie living in a crazy, effed up world, and no matter what comes their way, they'll always have each other. It also had more profanity and sex jokes during that period, and made South Park look like kids fare. It's like the Scully era of The Simpsons, hated when it aired, but now viewed as better compared to what aired since, especially in Season 12. Though it was when Family Guy was big in pop culture. Not coincidentally when MacFarlane stopped writing for the show, it became less popular.

Not sure I fully agree, but if Family Guy was at the height of it's popularity in 2009 (when Cleveland Show premiered) then the show's popularity had tanked by the time Cleveland Show was cancelled (in 2013). Maybe the introduction of "Bob's Burgers" in 2011 showed FOX that they didn't have to rely on Seth McFarland and that's when the decline for "Family Guy" truly began.

I'm more of the opinion that Family Guy was already starting to slowly decline by 2009 and that the Cleveland Show was a misfire on FOX's part....and by the time they cancelled the Cleveland Show, the decline for Family Guy was in full swing.

But I could be wrong.

You may be right, perhaps "Adventure Time" didn't truly take off as a pop culture thing until 2012. Same for "Regular Show".

I'm trying to think what other animated shows were HUGE popular around 2009/2010. But I can't think of any right now. I think the animation industry went into a slump following the Writer's strike of 2008. It was a period of transition.
It's popularity did tank by the end of The Cleveland Show but for the first 3 years of TCS' run, Family Guy was still the major dog in pop culture, and a force that was to be reckoned with. Bob's Burgers wasn't that popular in 2011, and was hated by alot of people for it's gross animation style, and being a Family Guy/Simpsons expy, and Family Guy was still a pop culture phenomenon in 2011. Bob's Burgers started to get better reception in 2012, the same year where Family Guy slid a little bit, but not as badly as it did until 2013-2014 post Life of Brian.

Adventure Time and Regular Show were popular before 2012, but only moderately. The two big cartoons in the 2009-2011 era with children and adults were Phineas and Ferb and My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, especially Phineas and Ferb for it's first four years. But in 2012, tastes in animation started to change, and Phineas and Ferb's popularity declined rapidly, and that's when Adventure Time took it's crown for being the big pop culture phenomenon, and ended up being the biggest hit of the decade.

JTOONSAnimation

Jul 24, 2016

Family Guy was popular around this time, but not to this extent, Fox put more focus on The Simpsons because of the upcoming movie and Family Guy was pretty popular before it's cancellation, it showed with it by becoming the most sold DVD at the time and brought in viewership to then fledging Adult Swim, but I don't believe 2007 was the time it became popular. The only reason MacFarlane "dominated" the block was because he had the most shows, Simpsons still dominated in ratings.

Reactions: ShadowBeast

Mikurotoro92

Banned
Jun 17, 2015
Family Guy was going to be The Simpsons' successor but ultimately fell flat

Then why does FOX keep it around?

The Simpsons along with Mickey Mouse, Mario, and SpongeBob is a legacy franchise so I can understand FOX's reluctance to let it go

But FG ever since it got revived after the popularity of reruns on Adult Swim has without a doubt taken a sharp downturn

If FOX were to pull the plug on Family Guy, they wouldn't have any problem staying afloat

Reactions: Fone Bone

OmegaAlpha23

Mar 1, 2018
Family Guy was popular around this time, but not to this extent, Fox put more focus on The Simpsons because of the upcoming movie and Family Guy was pretty popular before it's cancellation, it showed with it by becoming the most sold DVD at the time and brought in viewership to then fledging Adult Swim, but I don't believe 2007 was the time it became popular. The only reason MacFarlane "dominated" the block was because he had the most shows, Simpsons still dominated in ratings.
I didn't say 2007, The Simpsons was still popular in 2007 because it got a big push because of the movie, and even in 2005-2006, despite not being as popular as it was, it was still more popular than Family Guy and American Dad. But in 2008, that's when Family Guy overrode The Simpsons, and became FOX's SpongeBob, and yes it was that popular for three years, but the hype died in 2012, and the popularity it had was gone in 2014. But in 2008-2011, it was the hottest thing in pop culture, and was such a prodigy that sexualization had become normalized in music, like Lady Gaga, because of Family Guy's success. Seth MacFarlane having the most shows shows that Family Guy was the big cheese of FOX in 2008-2011, because they never gave Matt Groening the royal treatment.
Family Guy was going to be The Simpsons' successor but ultimately fell flat

Then why does FOX keep it around?

The Simpsons along with Mickey Mouse, Mario, and SpongeBob is a legacy franchise so I can understand FOX's reluctance to let it go

But FG ever since it got revived after the popularity of reruns on Adult Swim has without a doubt taken a sharp downturn

If FOX were to pull the plug on Family Guy, they wouldn't have any problem staying afloat
I don't know why either. The Simpsons I see, but Family Guy wasn't really a gamechanger, and more of a show that just happened to catch on for a few years. Since 2014, it's been irrelevant, and the ratings do terribly. Who even talks about it anymore?

JTOONSAnimation

Jul 24, 2016
I don't know why either. The Simpsons I see, but Family Guy wasn't really a gamechanger, and more of a show that just happened to catch on for a few years. Since 2014, it's been irrelevant, and the ratings do terribly. Who even talks about it anymore?

Linear TV ratings aren't that much a huge factor in determining a shows popularity these days. Its ratings are low on Fox but high on Adult Swim and Hulu, plus I can't even watch YouTube without some Family Guy clips coming up, it even has it's own category. The people at Fox are aware of the shows fledging ratings, but keep it going because it's a syndication powerhouse.

Last edited:

OmegaAlpha23

Mar 1, 2018
Linear TV ratings aren't that much a huge factor in determining a shows popularity these days. Its ratings are low on Fox but high on Adult Swim and Hulu, plus I can't even watch YouTube without some Family Guy clips coming up, it even has it's own category. The people at Fox are aware of the shows fledging ratings, but keep it going because it's a syndication powerhouse.
So does The Fairly OddParents, but that show isn't popular anymore, and hasn't been since 2004. By that logic, TFOP has high ratings on streaming, but low on Nickelodeon, so it must keep running. No, that shouldn't be a reason to keep a show around, especially as Family Guy has been culturally irrelevant since 2014, and the same goes for American Dad. Again, that's like saying Hey Arnold does well on NickRewind, and should keep going. No, it shouldn't. And it's ratings on Freeform are awful.

Even with it's 20th anniversary, people aren't that nostalgic over Family Guy and don't talk about it like they did eight years ago.

JTOONSAnimation

Jul 24, 2016
So does The Fairly OddParents, but that show isn't popular anymore, and hasn't been since 2004. By that logic, TFOP has high ratings on streaming, but low on Nickelodeon, so it must keep running. No, that shouldn't be a reason to keep a show around, especially as Family Guy has been culturally irrelevant since 2014, and the same goes for American Dad. Again, that's like saying Hey Arnold does well on NickRewind, and should keep going. No, it shouldn't. And it's ratings on Freeform are awful.

Even with it's 20th anniversary, people aren't that nostalgic over Family Guy and don't talk about it like they did eight years ago.
I was just quoting what the higher ups of the Fox network and Deadline said, it was their words, not mine, they stated Family Guy and Bob's Burgers are popular among streaming services and syndication, and that was a factor in the renewal process, despite the ratings.

As for Nickelodeon (or Viacom in general), which is a different company with different ideals, they are pretty much the only major entertainment company that pays very close attention to TV ratings and less attention to streaming, so it's not really a fair comparison.

Plus, we don't know what Family Guy's ratings on Freeform are.

Cartoon Ruler

Dec 11, 2011
Galloway, NJ
Was Family Guy really more popular than The Simpsons at one point? I know the show's popularity used to be at its highest between 2009 and 2011, but I always thought it was The Fairly OddParents to The Simpsons' SpongeBob, even during its prime.

And no, I don't think seasons 7-9 of Family Guy have been vindicated recently. Nowadays, it seems that a lot of people are more nostalgic over King of the Hill, Futurama, and especially classic Simpsons and/or have more fondness over newer adult cartoons like Rick and Morty, Bojack Horseman, and Bob's Burgers than all of Family Guy (and that's a good thing honestly, because any of those shows are far more entertaining to watch than FG, IMO). All of this is just my thinking, though.

Reactions: Fone Bone

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Lisa Ortiz's mother passed away.

I found this interview that Pam Arciero (Grundgetta from Sesame Street) took part in. I mainly skipped to 1:35, where she mentioned how production on the show ground to a halt because of the pandemic. There was about 1 more week of material to tape. She says they could start again in October, but that could change.
About done watching Sonic Boom Season 1 on DVD. Good in a sense to know the episode "Fire in a Crowded Workshop" only in Spanish dialogue isn't just me, but other unhappy posters to its Amazon page.

1:27:04-1:29:50

If it wasn't for the fact they're owned by different companies (Sesame Street on HBO and Helpsters on Apple TV, though both are from Sesame Workshop), I could totally see a crossover.