Hasbro’s future in regards to producing media content

Special_Potato

The Hub fan
In 2009, Hasbro announced a joint venture with Discovery communication to launch the Hub in 10/10/2010. Sadly, the network only lasted roughly four years and was rebranded in October 2014. Most of their shows were moved to other avenues, like Cartoon Network or YouTube (with Hanazuki). Still, they never fully gave up ownership of Discovery Family channel, owning a 40 percent stake.

I honestly expected after the rebranding, and shift of majority stake hold, that Hasbro would completely give up any attempts to create and produce their own series for toys (more Transformer cartoons, a cartoon based on the Stretch Armstrong for Netflix and even adapting Magic into a series for Netflix) but here we are—almost 6 years later. And in the following years, they bought an animation studio, produced new animation and even purchased EntertainmentOne (and Saban’s Power Rangers).

So the question remains. Now with enough content to either create shows or movies for other networks and streaming services. Why does Hasbro bother with Discovery Family? I don’t for a second doubt, one day, maybe soon, that Hasbro will continue to expand their ventures outside of just toys. How they will go and do this is up for debate.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind if they created a streaming service, bought back the Hub title, released new content and brought back old shows for new seasons. I’m looking at you Dan Vs and Haunting Hour. But that’s just me.

What is everyone’s opinion on this?

zoombie

I don't know, just give me a Jem and the Holograms reboot and I am happy. Put it on Netflix or some other streaming service and I think it would work.

Mostezli

Not 4 Everyone & That's OK
A Hub revival has got to be one of the biggest pipe dreams of almost any out there.
Make more content for Netflix or their own Youtube channel because that's been the best stuff
since the Hub's demise.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I don’t for a second doubt, one day, maybe soon, that Hasbro will continue to expand their ventures outside of just toys. How they will go and do this is up for debate.
A lot of Entertainment One's catalog isn't even aimed at kids, so I think they're already there.

SourSweetGone

Simultaneously Too Old &Too Young For The Internet
I think Netflix is the best bet for them right now. I could also see them possibly throwing some content on Hulu, HBO-MAX & Disney+ down the line as well. As for regular TV just stick with DiscFam and CN I guess.

I'm more concerned who if anyone will release their DVDs in the future. Shout Factory obviously doesn't anymore and we still don't have season 8 & 9 of FIM or Any DVD for Hanazuki, LPS:AWOOO, Rescue Bots Academy or the Equestria Girls Digital Series specials. my guess is Paramount, if it happens at all.

zoombie

Yeah, well, be careful what you wish for. You might get it (long story).

I don't know what inside information you might have. But if it happened I would give it a chance. I loved the IDW comics, I doubt whoever would make the animated reboot would have the rights to use new characters like Blaze, but here is hoping. She was a great addition.

Still they could make Kimber x Stormer like the comics, since those are Hasbro characters, not created for the IDW comics.

ShadowBlinky

Ooooooh.
I don't know what inside information you might have. But if it happened I would give it a chance. I loved the IDW comics, I doubt whoever would make the animated reboot would have the rights to use new characters like Blaze, but here is hoping. She was a great addition.

Still they could make Kimber x Stormer like the comics, since those are Hasbro characters, not created for the IDW comics.
I think he was referring to the live-action movie from 2015.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Revive LPS:AWOO on Netflix or something; then I'll see what's up from there. THAT show needed a S2 and should have gotten one by now for being, well - actually good, IMHO.

To be fair, I'm fine with what's in streaming right now, with the bonus points being that most of it isn't toyetic - those kinds of shows never go over right with me, as it is.

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
“We want to bring that [Hasbro] IP to the Canadian marketplace for development and, ideally, production,” he says, giving Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons as examples of projects with a potentially huge domestic up sides. “They have tens of millions of players, decades of story and unlimited worlds – and no TV shows, no movies, nothing yet,” he says.

The new projects will also create opportunities for eOne’s interactive division Secret Location and its music divisions.

It’s not just scripted-based ideas, says Throop. Opportunities abound for unscripted properties based on Hasbro’s proprietary board games, such as Monopoly, Clue and Operation.

Dantheman

I wonder if Hasbro is planning on making a new G.i. Joe cartoon, since there's that Snake Eyes movie coming out, and I've heard rumors on various toy sites they're going unveil a 6-inch scale G.I. Joe figure series at Toy Fair in Feb., in the vein of their Marvel Legends and Star Wars Black series lines?

Special_Potato

The Hub fan
I wonder if Hasbro is planning on making a new G.i. Joe cartoon, since there's that Snake Eyes movie coming out, and I've heard rumors on various toy sites they're going unveil a 6-inch scale G.I. Joe figure series at Toy Fair in Feb., in the vein of their Marvel Legends and Star Wars Black series lines?
They’ll probably wait first, maybe release some toys alongside the movie just to verify that there’s enough demand. I love the G.I. Joe franchise, and honestly there is much possibility for the brand to expand beyond just what they originally have.

Hasn’t the Star Wars license for Hasbro dipped recently? I recall that it wasn’t making enough money compared to a decade or more ago.

slai

Reporter
Reporter
I think Netflix is the best bet for them right now. I could also see them possibly throwing some content on Hulu, HBO-MAX & Disney+ down the line as well. As for regular TV just stick with DiscFam and CN I guess.

I'm more concerned who if anyone will release their DVDs in the future. Shout Factory obviously doesn't anymore and we still don't have season 8 & 9 of FIM or Any DVD for Hanazuki, LPS:AWOOO, Rescue Bots Academy or the Equestria Girls Digital Series specials. my guess is Paramount, if it happens at all.
As I said in another thread somewhere, it's not Shout! Factory's fault (which I had asked from a Shout! employee working at San Diego Comic-Con). They said they would LOVE to release more DVDs of any of the properties they still have, but the decision to release them lies with the parent company of said properties which in this case is Hasbro. Hasbro hasn't given Shout! the permission to release them.

Dantheman

They’ll probably wait first, maybe release some toys alongside the movie just to verify that there’s enough demand. I love the G.I. Joe franchise, and honestly there is much possibility for the brand to expand beyond just what they originally have.

Hasn’t the Star Wars license for Hasbro dipped recently? I recall that it wasn’t making enough money compared to a decade or more ago.

1. You're probably right about the cartoon. But if I were to hazard a guess, these rumored 6-inch Joes will be Marvel Legends/Star Wars Black Series style versions of the classic '80s characters, to appeal to adult collectors, much like how the new Masters of the Universe figures Mattel is coming out with later this year are better-articulated versions of the classic toys.

2. Pretty much. Their Rise of Skywalker pickings were pretty slim, considering they paired them up with The Mandalorian and Jedi Fallen Order releases. Kids just aren't as into the Force as Disney thought they'd be. Turning Luke Skwalker into a "Get off my lawn!" grumpy old man probably didn't help matters, IMO.

Special_Potato

The Hub fan
1. You're probably right about the cartoon. But if I were to hazard a guess, these rumored 6-inch Joes will be Marvel Legends/Star Wars Black Series style versions of the classic '80s characters, to appeal to adult collectors, much like how the new Masters of the Universe figures Mattel is coming out with later this year are better-articulated versions of the classic toys.

2. Pretty much. Their Rise of Skywalker pickings were pretty slim, considering they paired them up with The Mandalorian and Jedi Fallen Order releases. Kids just aren't as into the Force as Disney thought they'd be. Turning Luke Skwalker into a "Get off my lawn!" grumpy old man probably didn't help matters, IMO.
I didn’t even know Mattel planned on releasing Masters of the Universe collectible figures. But makes sense that they’ll tap into the older market. I’ll have to keep my eye open for that.

I can see why Hasbro is hesitant to do anything with G.I. Joe, compared to Transformers and My Little Pony, the brand is really hard to market. But that’s another point I have to make. The universe is much bigger now, with plenty of opportunity to expand beyond the mantra they have. Look at Captain America, a 40s war hero character managed to become one of Marvel’s most popular superheroes (thanks to the MCU, as well), so I know G.I. Joe can be developed while also maintaining some of its roots.

Yeah I’m not a fan of the new Star Wars, but that’s just me. I like a lot of the new lore and story arcs, especially Kylo Ren as this misguided anti-hero. Let’s hope for a resurgence in popularity, akin to back then.

Special_Potato

The Hub fan
That’s interesting. Thank you for posting this. I’m still confused as to what Hasbro gains from owning EntertainmentOne—besides Peppa Pig which is a success and extremely profitable in terms of toy and media revenue. But then I think of Hasbro’s deal with Paramount, to produce movies, and wonder if they’ll bail out and instead focus on their own avenues.

Special_Potato

The Hub fan
Revive LPS:AWOO on Netflix or something; then I'll see what's up from there. THAT show needed a S2 and should have gotten one by now for being, well - actually good, IMHO.

To be fair, I'm fine with what's in streaming right now, with the bonus points being that most of it isn't toyetic - those kinds of shows never go over right with me, as it is.
Most of the Hasbro Studios programming has been either canceled or put on indefinite hiatus, though? And this was before they purchased EntertainmentOne, but after they acquired the Power Rangers licensing and IP. I see them gearing up more content this year, considering who they own, and focusing on expanding to other services to air their content. Like with Netflix’s Magic series or even putting two new shows, that new Pony Life and Transformers (?) on Discovery Family.

Then that leaves Discovery Family. Technically Hasbro still owns 40 percent of the network, until the contract expires and someone mentioned it could be next year. But most of the shows airing there are reruns or acquired animation from other networks or services. Besides Hanazuki, which sadly looks to be ended, there really isn’t any legitimate reason to jump back into the network. I know one of my dreams is for them to bring back the Hub, but with how things are going they really don’t need it anymore. Netflix and YouTube is working much better in the long run.

The Overlord

I didn’t even know Mattel planned on releasing Masters of the Universe collectible figures. But makes sense that they’ll tap into the older market. I’ll have to keep my eye open for that.

I can see why Hasbro is hesitant to do anything with G.I. Joe, compared to Transformers and My Little Pony, the brand is really hard to market. But that’s another point I have to make. The universe is much bigger now, with plenty of opportunity to expand beyond the mantra they have. Look at Captain America, a 40s war hero character managed to become one of Marvel’s most popular superheroes (thanks to the MCU, as well), so I know G.I. Joe can be developed while also maintaining some of its roots.

Yeah I’m not a fan of the new Star Wars, but that’s just me. I like a lot of the new lore and story arcs, especially Kylo Ren as this misguided anti-hero. Let’s hope for a resurgence in popularity, akin to back then.

I think an issue with GI Joe is the setting, the target demographic and the way the social-political landscape has changed since the 80s.

In the 80s, there were way fewer official US military conflicts, now there are many more and the news often revolves around terrorist groups and US military actions. Its hard to have a silly comic book-like version of a US military unit fight terrorists (even fake terrorists like Cobra), when that is on the news and not the most fun matter to use to sell toys to kids. It might work for an older audience, like a comic version of 24, but I think its a hard sell to kids today.

MLP and Transformers are more fantastical than GJ Joe, which gives them more leeway.

Speaking of Mattel, I wonder if they will step up their other media content, they have lagged behind Hasbro for a while. They seem to not care for the new She-Ra show, but that does seem to have spurred them into making more Masters of the Universe content for Netflix.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Since I'm in New Hampshire, there's snow outside today.
kecskezombi01 wrote on KristofLaci991130's profile.
Hello, here. Are you living in a Hungarian city?
Is it me or is marketing for modern cartoons going through some kind of dark age right now?
This is darkly hilarious.

Featured Posts