Has the Internet really hurt Satellite/Cable TV channels for cartoons?

Latest News & Videos

powerjake

Aug 4, 2019
Mexico
These days people can buy cartoons digitally, watch them on streaming services, and even view them on unofficial cartoon websites that have titles from A to Z. The problem with the main channels from Satellite and Cable is limited episode rotations or taking a series off too quickly also making it air random times were its hard to watch. Things have really changed sense the interenet has advanced.

Reactions: Zanneck

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
These days people can buy cartoons digitally, watch them on streaming services, and even view them on unofficial cartoon websites that have titles from A to Z. The problem with the main channels from Satellite and Cable is limited episode rotations or taking a series off too quickly also making it air random times were its hard to watch. Things have really changed sense the interenet has advanced.
I hate to be that Debbie Downer kind of person, but what you've pointed out is pretty much the truth. Thanks to how open the internet aims to be with this medium (especially), as well as how open it needs to remain kept to keep people happy and busy, of course TV in general was doomed to take a hit for it. Plus, with streaming, we see encouragement for less censorship in our cartoons (especially), and it's about time for less censorship, as well - this medium can only continue to thrive from here, as a further result. Legality issues aside, because that's another story, I just think the internet has done more than TV could ever do and those who stand in the way of that corporately are in the way of true progress at this point in time, honestly.....

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
Well, if you think about it, they have indeed affected satellite and cable TV channels that show cartoons in a big way.

powerjake

Aug 4, 2019
Mexico
It's better to have the entire series with all episodes rather than watching small repetitive episode rotations on Satellite and Cable. Thats alot of freedom the internet gave fans of cartoons, Can you imagine the hundreds of cartoons and even anime you can watch.

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
It's better to have the entire series with all episodes rather than watching small repetitive episode rotations on Satellite and Cable. Thats alot of freedom the internet gave fans of cartoons, Can you imagine the hundreds of cartoons and even anime you can watch.
Exactly, a lot of cartoons in the past were cut short due to bad scheduling, now that is no longer an issue on the internet, where you can watch any episode any time you want and I feel like a lot of the old censorship is going away (the only thing I can imagine sticking around in kids cartoons is the no real guns due to gun violence in the real world and no smoking because Hollywood is phasing that out in general).

A lot of kids growing up with internet cartoons wouldn't want to watch cartoons on cable.

powerjake

Aug 4, 2019
Mexico
Older shows are especially relevant since they were made back when there was less commercial time per slot.
The worst part for commercial breaks on action shows like Samurai Jack or Ben 10 as it has a series finale cliffhanger effect black out, when a weapon almost hits them and than it blacks out like their story is finished, 5 minutes later when the commercial ends, than they survive the attack like nothing happens.

Low Spark of Lyman

The only movie in the entire world.
Apr 7, 2018
New Hampshire, U.S.
garfield.fandom.com
The worst part for commercial breaks on action shows like Samurai Jack or Ben 10 as it has a series finale cliffhanger effect black out, when a weapon almost hits them and than it blacks out like their story is finished, 5 minutes later when the commercial ends, than they survive the attack like nothing happens.
I was thinking of shows from the 20th century that got subjected to syndication edits (e.g. The Flintstones), but okay. Context shouldn't be forgotten.

On a related note, Garfield and Friends had a syndication package that only showed about ⅔ of the show. Hard to believe something like that would happen for modern viewing platforms.

powerjake

Aug 4, 2019
Mexico
I was thinking of shows from the 20th century that got subjected to syndication edits (e.g. The Flintstones), but okay. Context shouldn't be forgotten.

On a related note, Garfield and Friends had a syndication package that only showed about ⅔ of the show. Hard to believe something like that would happen for modern viewing platforms.
Times really changed, the advantage the internet is you can pick and choose what cartoons you want to watch anytime. Satellite and Cable do not even have an A to Z variety of cartoons as so many has been taken off the air.

As for the edits you mentioned it can get very annoying.

the_joker

Mar 23, 2009
That and they are watermark free.
I'll admit that I don't mind watermarks for the most part as long as it's just the channel logo on the bottom right corner probably because I'm a bit nostalgic about the channels that I used to watch. However, I sure don't mind those large promos about a new show or episode being gone.