Has streaming revived the anime market in North America?

Latest News & Videos

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
I think most people say there is an anime bubble that existed from the mid 1990s to mid 2000s that marked when anime was on a lot of broadcast television, but eventually that bubble burst and anime aired less often in North America.

Has streaming revived anime market in North America?

TheMisterManGuy

Oct 23, 2014
It certainly revived interest in the medium. Services like Netflix, Crunchyroll, and FunimationNow all offer many anime titles. And today, series like Attack on Titan, Sword Art Online, My Hero Academia, and others have broken into the mainstream. I'd also point out that the Adult Swim revival of Toonami played a part as well, since it serves as a jumping off point for exposing titles that people may not have had any interest in.

Ghoster1987

howdy
Aug 15, 2018
usa
I think funimation's simuldubs have something to do with the revival and now we get dubs faster than 10-15 years ago.

slai

Reporter
Reporter
Aug 29, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
I remember hearing from a panel with Clarine Harp that streaming anime has basically given many anime fans who had once had to illegally watch anime a more honest means of doing so. The simuldubs are basically quashing the illegal anime market by giving fans a quick and easy way to watch their anime legally now.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

For some reason I keep being reminded of this post I made on a Black Clover talkback thread: C&C - Black Clover - "The One With No Magic" [9/8]

It seems like the inspiration for Maya comes from his wife, mother, and sister.
The good news is I'm not scared anymore. The bad news is, as I have absorbed things, I am now freaking infuriated.
For nick@nite, and I thought full house was the only one skipped.., now George lopez is doing the same thing.. early Mon Jun 1 3:30am was No Free Launch, then skipped episodes to A Kiss is Just Kiss episode aired early Jun 2 at 4am. Very weird for nick@nite, obvi a sign that show won't last long