Has everything from 2007 onward sucked?!?

Latest News & Videos

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
Have we been in a Dark Age since 2007?!?!?

It might have started somewhat in 2006. And 2008 to 2010 saw the full implementation of the Darkness. But 2007 is the year the Pop Culture Dark Age truly began! This is inspired by other threads here at Toonzone (and by my own admittedly nostalgic musings, but I'm just having some fun here)....but let's take a look at the evidence:

Cartoon Network got revamped in 2007 - The "Fall 2007" era led to the days of live action shows on Cartoon Network. Toonami was on the verge of being cancelled (2007 brought us the dreaded "TOM 4" for the host of the block).

"Kids WB" (as we knew it) ended in September 2006, when the WB channel became "The CW" (though technically it lingered on until May of 2008, but it wasn't the same post-2006, with the loss of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh). This could be argued as the end of the Saturday Morning Cartoons (either the September 2006 date or the May 2008 date).

Nicktoons went downhill around 2007 (Spongebob started sucking after the 5th season, which aired from 2005 to 2007).

The Sci-Fi Channel started moving away from Stargate and Battlestar Galactica in favor of B-grade monster movies.

The Transformers movie in 2007 brought back crappy summer blockbusters. The "Twilight" series of movies started next year, in 2008, forever tarnishing vampire films.

Around 2007, Hannah Montana became a pop culture phenomenon...actually, Hannah Montana wasn't so bad at first, but eventually she became Miley Cyrus, ruining everything...

Also around 2007, we had the collapse of the DVD market and the bursting of the anime bubble (compared to 2000 to 2004, when anime was everywhere on TV)...

Nintendo introduced the Wii and started making video games for grandmas to play with their grandkids. Frankly, the transition from the 6th generation of video games to the 7th generation was a bit of a let down, over all...

"G4" starting airing "Ninja Warrior" in March, 2007, which was a hit (and I did enjoy) but it certainly signaled the beginning of the end, for what the channel was supposed to be about (video games!).

I'll add on that the economy collapsed in 2008/2009, which sucked for everyone.

The Writer's Strike of 2007/2008 hurt a lot of popular shows, some of which never were as good again. For instance, "Heroes" was great in it's first and second season, but then it became an incoherent mess after the Writer's Strike.

The action show "24" never was as good after the Strike. Both it and "Lost" fizzled out and ended in 2010.

American Idol went downhill after 2007 (I can't say I remember one winner after Jordan Sparks won in 2007). And in 2009 they started introducing new judges beyond Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul, and Randy Jackson, so that was the start of the decline for that show.

"Family Guy" probably should've ended after Season Six (which ended in 2008). When the plot moved beyond Stewie wanting to kill Lois, that was kind a fundamental change to the series.

What shows have defined pop culture since 2008? The Big Bang Theory? Glee? Modern Family? Duck Dynasty? Breaking Bad? Game of Thrones? The Walking Dead? The Voice? Some of those may be decent, but c'mon, bring me back to the days of Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Scrubs, 24, House, Smallville, C.S.I. and CSI:Miami!

Thoughts?!?

Last edited:

RandomMe

Bloo
Dec 30, 2012
Braga, Portugal
internalymbelydredd.tumblr.com
Here in Portugal we were living an internal "dark age" since, I don't know, the 2010s started, or probably around 2011. Basically here in Portugal our television content started becoming downright trashy and unenjoyable, even the Portuguese "comedy" shows lack any actual comedy.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
If you think Firefly has defined pop culture more than Game of Thrones did, then you must have been living under a rock since 2011!? :eek: I am not even a GoT fan, but come on. Has there ever been a show this popular? It could easily compete with something like F.R.I.E.D.S. in terms of popularity, and you're comparing with Firefly, a show that lasted 14 episodes and has got almost no mainstream fanbase?

Things from 2006-2018 that seemed to be extremely popular to me:
Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
The Big Bang Theory
Dexter
How I Met Your Mother
Glee
Twilight
High School Musical
The Hunger Games
Several Marvel movies
Several Netflix originals

Justin Bieber
Miley Cyrus
Lady Gaga
Katy Perry
One Direction
Demi Lovato
Big Time Rush (especially amongst younger girls)
Ed Sheeran
Adele
=> mostly "girl music", I don't know what happened with pop music for everyone, but none of those artists seem to become extremely popular nowadays?!

Teen Titans Go
Adventure Time
Gravity Falls
Phineas and Ferb (that show was huge)

I chose 2006 because I think Dexter and High School Musical both belong in this period.

Last edited:

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
I would say roughly since September 11, 2001. 2008 economic crash is where the networks and studios just started to throw anything at the wall to see if it'll stick.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
In A House
Game of Thrones and Walking Dead are extremely popular. It seems to me there is a lot more cable/streaming shows being the big ones that everyone talks about.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Dec 14, 2008
New York City
Definitely not, but it would take me too long to explain why. But IMO, this is no different from any other time. We had some great stuff in the 80s, 90s, 2000s, and 2010s - just we use different avenues now.*

*We also had good stuff pre-80s, of course, but I wasn't around back then.

Zelek

Dec 23, 2013
Meh I'm not sure it was a dark age. It was certainly the start of Early Gen Z-oriented childhood culture and Web 2.0. But to Zoomers now in their late teens, that stuff you said was bad was actually good to them since it was their childhood, and they're posting nostalgia memes for the late 00s-early 10s era now.

Which just goes to show this "back in my day" thing is all a neverending cycle, lol.

Reactions: wonderfly

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
It's been a year since I made this thread. It was (as I said in the opening post) a friendly poke at some other threads that were here on the AnimeSuperhero forums at the time. I was just trying to pinpoint where "everything went wrong", so to speak. I had settled on 2007, but my opening post has examples from 2006 and 2008/09. Basically, it all changed from 2006 to 2009.

Meh I'm not sure it was a dark age. It was certainly the start of Early Gen Z-oriented childhood culture and Web 2.0. But to Zoomers now in their late teens, that stuff you said was bad was actually good to them since it was their childhood, and they're posting nostalgia memes for the late 00s-early 10s era now.
A "Zoomer" is just "Generation Z" right? Early "Generation Z" people were born in the early 00's (or maybe at the very tail end of the 90's, like 1998 or 1999).

"Childhood nostalgia" for the late 2000's/early 2010's is hard for me to imagine. But I guess it is 2019...