Harvey Birdman returns for new special.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
I was not expecting this announcement today.

In a stunning announcement, even for this administration, megalomaniac billionaire President Phil Ken Sebben announced today that Harvey Birdman will be this country's next Attorney General.

In his new role, it’s up to Harvey Birdman to find a way to remove President Phil Ken Sebben from office, before everyone starts to worry it’s more than the ridiculous plot to an animated show.

The proceedings are set for this fall at [adult swim].

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
It's 2001 to 2003 Adult Swim all over again. It must mean there's a Republican in the Oval Office.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Yeah as seen in Sealab 2021's last season. Also thinking about it means a Space Ghost Coast To Coast or Brak Show reboot may not work without the talented C. Martin Crocker still around to do the voice of Zorak/Moltar so I can see why Birdman was the one chosen.

And honestly in this era of everything popular either getting a revival or reboot or special I can see why AS wants to hop on that bandwagon with they're only original property from the 2001 days who really can with it feeling nostalgic. I think we still have to wait awhile for a full Aqua Teen revival (though at least they still are making mini specials from time to time. See the Carl Deadpool 2 video AS.com released the other day) but it makes sense to do so with Birdman, especially as I don't think that's a show that really ever dipped in quality. Rewatched a good chunk of it lately and it still holds up fairly well. Hope this is one where they get back the entire cast since yeah Gary Cole and Stephen Colbert are probably the most important pieces... but I'd also want to see Peter MacNicol, Thomas Allen, John Michael Higgins, Chris Edgerly and Padget Brewster at least brought back... bunch of other VAs/roles like Mauriche LeMarche, Grey Griffin, Tom Kenny, PhilLaMaar and others would be good too but those 7 are honestly the essential cast.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
This strikes me as being spurred on by Stephen Colbert wanting to take potshots at Trump, more so than it being the Adult Swim creators wanting to tap into "Old School" Adult Swim nostalgia. Though if they are going to try to tap into nostalgia, I tend to agree that "Harvey Birdman" is probably the best bet for that.

Much like Nick ruined us fans ever getting nostalgic for Spongebob, Adult Swim dragged "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" on for too long - there's no nostalgia to tap into there. Sealab was ruined by the death of Harry Goz, "Space Ghost: Coast to Coast" and "The Brak Show" won't work without C. Martin Croker (who passed away a couple years back). "The Venture Bros" is the other notable show from the 2001 to 2004 era, but that's still airing.

"Robot Chicken", "Squidbillies", "Moral Orel" and "The Boondocks" all started in 2005 (the start of the 2nd wave of Adult Swim creativity). Going back to 2001 to 2004, the other "fond memory" people have is the early days of reruns of Futurama and Family Guy. But that won't work for what I'm talking about here.

EDIT:
So the one other show from the 2001 to 2004 era that I think would be neat if they brought it back (for a one-time special) would be "Home Movies". Too bad the voice actors have moved on to other things (like "Bob's Burgers"). So yeah, "Harvey Birdman" is still the perfect "Adult Swim Nostalgia Trip" candidate.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
EDIT: So the one other show from the 2001 to 2004 era that I think would be neat if they brought it back (for a one-time special) would be "Home Movies". Too bad the voice actors have moved on to other things (like "Bob's Burgers").

Getting the voice actors back wouldn't be a problem, since they're still closely tied to Adult Swim. The real issue would be bringing Soup2Nuts back from the grave, which I highly doubt parent company Scholastic would be willing to do. After Home Movies ended, S2N primarily became an animation studio for children's programming, and since that aligns more with Scholastic's targeted demographic, I don't think they'd be interested in making more cartoons for adults.

EDIT: BTW, have you checked the Clarence thread recently? ;)
https://www.toonzone.net/forums/thr...thread-spoilers.5284911/page-14#post-86233992

Last edited:

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I'm torn between the nostalgia and the realization that it's just Stephen Colbert bashing Trump.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts