Harvey Beaks Series Talkback

FlooterFlatter

One Sly Princess
Staff member
Just wondering if anyone saw the sneak peek after Kids Choice Awards today.

Was pretty fun, I thought.

Toonatic

It was cute, definitely a winner. :)

Can't say I didn't care about the pee scene though. Surprise censors allow that!

ToonJay723

Staff member
Finally. a Nick cartoon (that's not based on a pre-existing property) that doesn't suck. I hope they treat this show well.

kanc

Yeah I think this is a great show for Harvey Beaks (11 min preview).

CoolEric158

She rocks both ways.
I didn't think it was exceptionally funny, but it was so cute. And that's all I can really say. Hope it gets better.

Mr. Jones

What can I say? It was really fun! That scene where Harvey goes crazy and gets naked, I couldn't help but laugh!

One thing's for sure, I really hope it doesn't end up like Robot and Monster...

ChikoritaCheezit

The Random Shipper
It's decent from what I can tell. The show itself seemed cute. I like how the goody two shoes tries to be a rebel.

Last edited by a moderator:

rockorockorocko

I'll say two things:

1. If Harvey Beaks gets major hate by fanboys for being "trash", there will be no hope to please them PERIOD.

2. If the sneak peak is of what's to come, Harvey Beaks, IMO, COULD be the show that can replace SBSP in the future. SJC/BW/TMNT all have their flaws, but HB is something everyone can jump on IMO.

Doowopasaurus

The sneak peek was, to quote itself, "a being of pure goodness." The writing, voices, animation, and music were great.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
If the sneak peak is of what's to come, Harvey Beaks, IMO, COULD be the show that can replace SBSP in the future. SJC/BW/TMNT all have their flaws, but HB is something everyone can jump on IMO.

Just like we said about every other potential SBSP replacement that came before it...

Reality check: SpongeBob is Nick's Simpsons. They're not ending it anytime soon.

ChikoritaCheezit

The Random Shipper
My opinion has not changed. I will say, there aren't too many gut busters but there were some chuckles (except for the pee joke).

VG_Addict

Does anyone else find it kind of jarring to have the episode title a couple of minutes into the episode, instead of right before?

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Anyway, the pilot is finished, and I like what I see. The characters are good , the animation is nice, and the humor is pretty good. It's a nice, simple show that's a step up from many other Nick shows.

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
I think it should go without saying that this is easily the best original Nicktoon we've had in a long, long time. And the really ironic thing is that this is the kind of premise that's actually very easy to screw up and to leave a bad influence on the audience. But this show does neither of these things and gets just so many elements right that Nickelodeon was sorely missing.

Let's start with the technicals. Between the sketchy but stylistic backgrounds, the creative use of colors, and even the character designs complementing the setting, I'd go so far to say the sense of atmosphere is on par with Steven Universe. There's just so much to like about this setting, and the sound mixing just brings it to life even further. The character designs are very much like Breadwinners', but much better handled because they're not trying to make them sketchy, plus there's much more consistency in general.

Harvey himself is definitely a likable protagonist. He's the nice guy who wants to live on the edge to see what he's been missing out on, and his character is written in a way that makes all of his actions really believable for a child about 8-10 years old. I love how he's willing to do what it takes to please his friends, and clearly makes plenty of mistakes along the way, but still has enough of a conscience to keep his good nature despite his mischievous friends.

The other two main characters are pretty good too. Fee is a bit spunky and is clearly more into roughhousing, but what sets her apart is that she has clear moral standards too, and most of her pranking really comes down to just playful fun rather than actual maliciousness - or at least, that's her intention. She and Harvey work off each other exceptionally well, and their friendship feels extremely genuine. The other guy, Foo, is much the same way. It's just that he honestly isn't too memorable because his few-words nature kind of harms any chemistry he has with the other two.

The show's writing conveys a very feel-good tone but still throws in a bit of light-hearted action in the stories, which is always a good way to please a young audience. The only joke that made me laugh out loud was the crystal bit in the first segment, but there were definitely some humorous ones here and there, and they aren't always trying to be comedic anyway. The only problem I have is that it really feels like the toilet humor was just put in there because Nickelodeon demanded it, and also they went a bit overboard with the spitting stuff in the first segment. Thankfully there's not much actual toilet humor, or at the very least, not as much as the other non-Spongebob Nicktoons.

I'm definitely going to look forward to more episodes of this show in the future. I'm really glad Greenblatt managed to get Nickelodeon out of this rut, if even a little.

VG_Addict

So, between this, Star vs. the Forces of Evil, and MLP, I'm gonna have a lot of cartoons to watch every week.

Ace

Ace
I honestly don't mind the potty humor much here. The spitting thing could have been used in a much worse context. For one spitting off of a high place is definitely a thing I remember many kids doing. Also it seems like this show would handle it's toilet humor much better than say Breadwinners. The other jokes are pretty much hit and miss. I like the animation and it's easily one of the best things about the show.

The late title card thing, I honestly like. Unless you check your TV guide or the schedule it's pretty much a surprise what the episode is going to be about. It's just something new that isn't really tried so much.

I like that Harvey is not a jerk, an incompetent idiot, or as obnoxious as some other characters we've seen. He is this friendly bird kid who likes to have fun and cares about his friends enough to not want to let them down. The other two main characters are interesting, but the side characters also stole a portion of the show. The rabbit I found to have an interesting chemistry with the main character. (he kind of reminds me of Belson from Clarence). Princess is kind of like LSP but funnier. I think some of the more interesting plots would come from the side characters. In general there is a lot of content here I found interesting. So the show has interesting characters and nice animation. I suppose it would be too early to judge the writing from these two episodes. I would definitely watch the next episode.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts