Harvey Beaks Series Talkback

Latest News & Videos

kanc

Sep 9, 2013
Although, Hulu wasn't available in Australia...
That's also the reason why Lachie alias Thomasfan101/Thomaspercyfan wanted to watch it but he couldn't....
I'm not understanding what you're really saying. Are you saying that for people vacationing or living in Australia can't access American Hulu to watch?

Ghostbuster

Inside No. 9
Oct 23, 2015
London, UK
Harvey Beaks is part of a new deal between Hulu and Viacom, which will see 11 Nick shows and more than 20 Nick movies added to the service. Show's include Big Time Rush, School of Rock, Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn, Hunter Street, Make It Pop, Every Witch Way and WITS Academy.

Also returning to Hulu will be Nickelodeon series Alvinnnn!!! and the Chipmunks, Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness and Penguins of Madagascar. More series and films from Nickelodeon will continue to roll out throughout the year.

The deal also makes Hulu the exclusive streaming home of all five seasons of Daria.

TheJLeeTeam

Keldeo is best Pony
Sep 9, 2018
USA
I read on TVTropes that Nick is deeply ashamed of this series. Is this true? If it's because it didn't meet their ratings expectations, that's a vague reason. There has to be a more reasonable explanation why they're ashamed of the series. Harvey Beaks / Trivia - TV Tropes

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
Jan 10, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
www.youtube.com
I read on TVTropes that Nick is deeply ashamed of this series. Is this true? If it's because it didn't meet their ratings expectations, that's a vague reason. There has to be a more reasonable explanation why they're ashamed of the series. Harvey Beaks / Trivia - TV Tropes
Why would they be ashamed of something so beautiful???

ToonJay723

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
New York
TV Tropes is like Wikipedia. Anyone can add in anything they want regardless if it's true or not.

TheJLeeTeam

Keldeo is best Pony
Sep 9, 2018
USA
CH Greenblatt has been employed at WB earlier this year and has been working on something fun. Whatever it is I hope it’s as good or almost as good as Harvey Beaks and even make references of said show. I wonder if it’ll be on Cartoon Network, Netflix or Hulu.

Reactions: 1 person

TheJLeeTeam

Keldeo is best Pony
Sep 9, 2018
USA
Harvey Beaks has become of my favorite shows of all time. For me it did just about everything right, it had everything I could ever want out of a Nicktoon and it's like the cartoon I've always dreamed of.

I wasn't planning to post a thread on this since this tragedy happened 2 years ago but this recent video from Alpha Jay Show caught my attention and I had to give my piece on it (especially the 21:19 mark)

In it he details the show itself and how Nick treated it. First of all the majority of Nick's other shows like Breadwinners were more fast paced, zany, and over the top compared to Harvey which was basically the exact opposite. He showed a chart that Harvey after it's premiere experienced a higher ratings drop than Sanjay and Craig, Breadwinners, and Pig Goat Banana Cricket because it got lost in a sea of Nick's trove hyper and cheesy shows.

Nick screwing over cartoons because they can't rival SpongeBob in ratings which is infuriating as they are likely not going to have another show that rivals SpongeBob or Loud House especially in this age of dying cable. Invader Zim was the first show of the 20 or so Nicktoons that were given this treatment and at least it had more excusable reasons for why it was canned, because it appealed more to teens and adults, it was too expensive, and how parents complained about its content. And I also agree that Loud House may not have the same lifespan as SpongeBob has. Its humor and novelty are decent at first but gets stale fast more so than SpongeBob or even Fairly Odd Parents and isn't even as universally appealing as SpongeBob. And considering how divisive Season 3 is along with a handful of Season 1 and 2 episodes, it has a high risk of ending up like FOP whereas I think Harvey Beaks is going to hold up a lot better over time in comparison.

What makes this situation worse is that C.H. Greenblatt was partially why SpongeBob became so popular and beloved because he was a writer and storyboard artist for the early seasons. He did Band Geeks for crying out loud! And after all the great things he did for Nick he was forced to give a lecture on Cartoon Brew by the execs. Greenblatt was bold enough to call the network out. That would be like if Cartoon Network abruptly cancelled Steven Universe after like 2 seasons even though there were big plans going forward and the execs horribly treat Rebecca Sugar even though she was a part of the successful Adventure Time and then called the network out, imagine how pissed that fandom would be.

I do agree that Harvey Beaks is very much like Hey Arnold and I think it's more creative and quirky. It had the potential to be one of their modern classics if it was treated better, but instead it has faded into obscurity to the point that some don't even acknowledge it and still think that all modern Nick shows are terrible with some only acknowledging Korra and Loud House.

I'm sure Brian Robbins will turn the network around so new shows are treated better, but the damage has already been done. I'm very lenient towards the animation industry and I'm willing to give networks more chances. I actually supported Nick during the mid-late 2000's and even the early-mid 2010's but this whole debacle was enough to kill off my confidence in the network and this is the primary reason why I don't support Nick anymore, I still watch a few of their shows including Harvey Beaks through streaming and downloads to support the people who worked on these shows and because I still enjoy them but I now stay away from the network.

What are your thoughts?

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
Harvey Beaks has become of my favorite shows of all time. For me it did just about everything right, it had everything I could ever want out of a Nicktoon and it's like the cartoon I've always dreamed of.

I wasn't planning to post a thread on this since this tragedy happened 2 years ago but this recent video from Alpha Jay Show caught my attention and I had to give my piece on it (especially the 21:19 mark)

In it he details the show itself and how Nick treated it. First of all the majority of Nick's other shows like Breadwinners were more fast paced, zany, and over the top compared to Harvey which was basically the exact opposite. He showed a chart that Harvey after it's premiere experienced a higher ratings drop than Sanjay and Craig, Breadwinners, and Pig Goat Banana Cricket because it got lost in a sea of Nick's trove hyper and cheesy shows.

Nick screwing over cartoons because they can't rival SpongeBob in ratings which is infuriating as they are likely not going to have another show that rivals SpongeBob or Loud House especially in this age of dying cable. Invader Zim was the first show of the 20 or so Nicktoons that were given this treatment and at least it had more excusable reasons for why it was canned, because it appealed more to teens and adults, it was too expensive, and how parents complained about its content. And I also agree that Loud House may not have the same lifespan as SpongeBob has. Its humor and novelty are decent at first but gets stale fast more so than SpongeBob or even Fairly Odd Parents and isn't even as universally appealing as SpongeBob. And considering how divisive Season 3 is along with a handful of Season 1 and 2 episodes, it has a high risk of ending up like FOP whereas I think Harvey Beaks is going to hold up a lot better over time in comparison.

What makes this situation worse is that C.H. Greenblatt was partially why SpongeBob became so popular and beloved because he was a writer and storyboard artist for the early seasons. He did Band Geeks for crying out loud! And after all the great things he did for Nick he was forced to give a lecture on Cartoon Brew by the execs. Greenblatt was bold enough to call the network out. That would be like if Cartoon Network abruptly cancelled Steven Universe after like 2 seasons even though there were big plans going forward and the execs horribly treat Rebecca Sugar even though she was a part of the successful Adventure Time and then called the network out, imagine how pissed that fandom would be.

I do agree that Harvey Beaks is very much like Hey Arnold and I think it's more creative and quirky. It had the potential to be one of their modern classics if it was treated better, but instead it has faded into obscurity to the point that some don't even acknowledge it and still think that all modern Nick shows are terrible with some only acknowledging Korra and Loud House.

I'm sure Brian Robbins will turn the network around so new shows are treated better, but the damage has already been done. I'm very lenient towards the animation industry and I'm willing to give networks more chances. I actually supported Nick during the mid-late 2000's and even the early-mid 2010's but this whole debacle was enough to kill off my confidence in the network and this is the primary reason why I don't support Nick anymore, I still watch a few of their shows including Harvey Beaks through streaming and downloads to support the people who worked on these shows and because I still enjoy them but I now stay away from the network.

What are your thoughts?
CLAPS HANDS

...And TLH wishes it was this consistently good, honestly. Especially knowing how much I actually enjoy, if not love, this one. Something that's not gonna change overnight, either.

MrCan

Dec 30, 2018
United States
After watching the video, I can't help but agree with him. CH Greenblatt should never come back to Nickelodeon, no matter what. What they did to Harvey Beaks was dirty and should never happen to any show. IMO Harvey was a good show. It was funny, the characters were charming, and it told good morals (take notes TLH, this is how you tell a moral without having it come off as preachy or forced). I've yet to see the last few episodes, but hearing him describe them and showing clips from the episodes almost made me tear up. Nick should've the gave show a bit more time for it to grow. The fact that they expected it to become an instant hit against a pop culture icon that's lasted for about 20 years is ridiculous. Nick is forgetting that it took a while for Spongebob to become the mega-hit it is today. Heck, even their previous mega-hit, Rugrats, didn't even get popular until after Nick was showing reruns of it.

As for The Loud House, I have to agree with what he said. They got to stop trying to make it the new Spongebob. It's a decent show, but I don't think it'll last as long as Spongebob. It's popular, but doesn't have the influence that Spongebob/The Simpsons had (or heck, even Adventure Time/Rick and Morty to some extent). Plus in the era of dying cable, it'll probably be harder for them to find a new Spongebob. It'll probably end up like FOP/Family Guy where it's popular now, but it'll slowly lose its relevance over time and become a product of its time.

The new president said that there won't be a Spongebob standard anymore. And I hope he stick by those words, because I'm tired of the "Spongebob standard" screwing over shows that aren't Spongebob or the Loud House.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

With all of these cartoon revivals in past few months, I wonder what will be the next cartoon to be revived?
I was surprised to find out how many Millennials and Gen Z'ers have heard of The Music Man from 1957. These two groups probably know many old films but just don't talk about them.
We have a tie of 1 vote each. I'll be tiebreaker. TOTS moves to the next round. We start round 3, with the first matchup being between Muppet Babies 2018 and Helpsters .

Great scott! "Back to the Future" was released 35 years ago today.
What's the deal with making all these zombie and Venomzied versions of different Marvel characters? I know why($$$), but still, they probably might frighten some people, I reckon.