Harriet The Spy (Apple TV Series)

SweetShop209

There's an animated Harriet The Spy series coming to Apple TV, based on the books. It's from The Jim Henson Company and Titmouse. The voice cast includes Beanie Feldstein as Harriet M. Welsch, Jane Lynch as Ole Golly (Harriet's no-nonsense nanny) , and Lacey Chabert as Marion Hawthorne (the ringleader of the smug popular girls at Harriet's school). The series is created by Will McRobb and is set in the 1960s.

Charlie Adler is the voice director.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Derrick Malik Johnson is a storyboard revisionist. He previously worked as a production intern for Ballmastrz 9009 (also from Titmouse).

Screenshot_20210305-192045.png

SweetShop209

Frontier

Staff member

zoombie

It takes place in the 60's, so is it going to be realistic of its time. For example Spirit: Riding Free that takes place in the late 1800's, and its world is very idealistic to what it would be like. I am talking about one of the main characters two best friends is African American and no issues of race ever comes up, her father the sheriff of the town for goodness sake.

Well this show have more realistic aspects to this time period? Not that I want racism on these shows, but if you show it, people can learn from it, which you can't do, if you ignore it.

SweetShop209

Here's an interview with executive producer Lisa Henson, where she talks about various aspects of the series, such as the New York setting and keeping the 1960s time period. One thing I find interesting is how the show was once conceived in live action until she felt it was better to do it in animation.

zoombie

Here is a little nip pick, and yeah it is a jerk thing to point out, but in episode 1, they have a modern day Walk / Don't Walk signal. Those were not around in the 60's. If it suppose to be set in the 60's, be a little more authentic. I know you can't have civil rights issues, and the Vietnam war protests, etc., but they could have gotten this right.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I have a sneaking suspicion this doesn't really take place in the actual 60's. More like some idealized future we all wish we were in at the moment, but with reduced technological presence, honestly.

Heck, Steven Universe did something like this with its time period in its setting, so I'm not too surprised. Whomever wrote this wanted a more ideal setting and was afraid (or worse, censored) from writing how truly unfortunately rough (at best)/bad (at worst) times truly were for everyone (especially minorities such as those who weren't white or male) IRL America, if not the whole world.

Although, the first sign of me homing in on all of this? Where's the Twin Towers at?? We are in NYC for this series' setting, after all. Because, otherwise - yeah. Idealized vision, not trying to be accurate to real world time, just like Steven Universe (for those of you whom wanted that, unfortunately? My condolences you're not getting that, as you wish I'm sure you were hoping for.).

zoombie

I thought this would be more Nancy Drew like. This is very comedic, was Harriet the Spy always this comedic. I thought it would be more like a Nancy Drew clone.

And what Harriet does is technically not a spy, it is what a private eye does.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Then something bad is intensifying!
Asa
Peanuts creator Charles Schultz would've turned 99 years old today.
Lost of Christmas stuff on tonight Frosty and Frosty Returns is on CBS tonight, it's always on the night after Thanksgiving, so is Grandma Got Runover by a Reindeer on The CW, and NBC has the Original Grinch, ABC has Santa Claus is Comin' to town (though if you prefer to watch this one un edited Freeform is the better place to watch it )
Nick@nite finally got new Christmas brand just today started 6am!

Featured Posts