"Harley Quinn" Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this season

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 1 20.0%

• ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Harley Quinn Season Two premieres today at 5am (PST)/ 8am (EST) on DC Universe! Show your support for Harley Quinn on Twitter by live-tweeting @DCUHarleyQuinn and #HarleyQuinn to @TheDCUniverse during today's episode!

HarleyQuinn.jpg

Harley Quinn has taken down the Joker and Gotham City is finally hers for the taking…whatever's left of it that is. Gotham has become a desolate wasteland, left in ruins, following the huge earthquake caused by the collapse of Joker's tower. Harley's celebration in this newly created chaos is cut short when Penguin, Bane, Mr. Freeze, The Riddler and Two Face join forces to restore order in the criminal underworld. Calling themselves the Injustice League, this group now stands in the way of Harley and her crew from taking sole control of Gotham as the top villains of the city.

Harley Quinn
Friday, April 3, 2020 - #14 "New Gotham"

Synopsis: After Gotham is declared no longer part of the United States, the newly formed Injustice League try to seize control of the city away from Harley.

Related Threads
-Official Website
-Harley Quinn News and Discussion
-Harley Quinn Season 1 Talkback
-Harley Quinn Complete Seasons 1 and 2 Blu-ray Talkback
-Harley Quinn Complete Season 2 DVD Talkback

Comments?

Mod Note: Please feel free to start discussing the episodes right away after they are released!

Discussion is encouraged, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Feel free to comment as the episode streams, too, providing your own running commentary, though AVOID successive posting or posts with only three words and under. However, do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And please remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC! Any mention or implication of viewing an episode through illegal means will not be tolerated - the post will be deleted and/or an infraction will be issued.

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
"New Gotham" - You know I admit though I've still been watching the show I did kind of fall off doing talkbacks and reviews of the last few episodes which I feel bad for and hopefully now can get back more into a groove and cover all the episodes of this season and I have to say they really hit the ground running with this one. Honestly I didn't read the No Man's Land storyline but I did actually like how parts of it were adapted into The Dark Knight Rises and honestly it is a really sort of interesting story; the idea of Gotham being totally isolated from the rest of the country and all these villains taken over and dividing up into various sections. Of course with DKR that was still heavily Bruce Wayne and hero focused and honestly even with the comics from what I've seen you still kind of needed to have the bigger picture be put around your hero character even if you could have some stories focused on the villains (I mean Harley Quinn's introduction into the main line of comics was in No Man's Land ironically) you still needed that center of Batman in some form. You don't need that with this series. Yeah there's set up at the end with Bruce Wayne being unconscious and you see all the police being slowly ebbed away (honestly the idea of just being shot in the junk and held up and being pressured to join other gangs kind of makes more sense then sending all the cops under Gotham and locking them away like Rises did... okay I should probably stop talking about Rises or that will be this whole video) as Jim is losing more and more hope but the focus is actually put on all the villains and setting up Harley's new goal this season; taking out the four other leaders of this New New Gotham to claim the entire city for herself. And I do like the idea that she was just riding the high of anarchy and rebellion and freedom and actually even when having the golden opportunity to take over didn't and was just enjoying the fun. Totally makes sense for the character and honestly being frozen for months and seeing how things spiraled even more out of control without her are solid consequences. Plus I just really dig the fact that in this series they now have the castones to actually start offing like major villains without real worry. Granted not like we even saw much of the Penguin before this episode and though Wayne Knight makes him really enjoyable (I especially like him pointing out murdering one of his own goons sounded like him and Ivy pointing out how stupid he was for not killing her before) he was really given that much a character but yeah if we're following a villain as our lead I appreciate them just cutting right to business and doing so in such a brutal matter. I doubt the other four will be nearly as easy but I am hoping the goal is to in some form take all of them out to that level. You can't do that really in the comics as even if you did have the major villains try offing one another they would just find a way to come back and granted resurrection is something we've seen in this series but the later was in special cases and not needing to really have the same format allows for more variety so yeah I'm all for this kind of story moving forward.

A lot of good comedy bits from Ivy rubbing in her being right the crew having to go with Clayface's plan when not having any other options, the female cop who had a thing for pineapple flavored water, Robin dressing up as Batman and not wanting to give Gordon his contact information, the Batman Returns homage with the biting off the nose and Harley constantly mocking Penguin looking after him Ivy's annoyance at having to call it new new Gotham and kidnapping the guy to make them sushi and that being a runner throughout so yeah just a lot of good stuff and hope for the same level of momentum going forward. And seriously also kudos with Batman gone and the league in a book this fully feeling like a villain's world then ever before and the clash of Harley vs the Injustice League (also love pointing out the whole JL copyright and Psycho saying Wonder Woman's very ligitaious) and them committing to having Harley even as the underdog still be more on the bad side.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
"New Gotham" is a strong season opener just as long as you don't go into it expecting all your questions to be answered in one episode. And yes, they don't back down on the swearing or violence. They pretty much up the ante. The humor is still on point. Whenever Bane is involved, the comedy just flows in my opinion. The thrust of the premiere is more to set up the new status quo and Harley's new goal in a quick and efficient 22 minutes. And along the way, we get a couple answers. Like Batman's been in a coma all this time. But Joker and the Justice League are still MIA. We learn a couple members of the Legion of Doom survived the destruction of the Hall so far: Penguin, Riddler, Bane, and Two-Face. The crew realized they need Harley's leadership. Ivy is still the unheard voice of reason. I also loved it when Ivy couldn't resist and rubbed it in Harley's face she was right. Gordon is rock bottom. And Harley is still the victim of her own impulses and now has to take down the Injustice League so she can have Gotham for herself.

On one hand, it was a welcome relief to see Harley, Ivy, and the Crew back to normal before the awfulness of last season's split and their bond seems stronger than ever. But on the other hand, they kinda cheated with the time skips to do a quick and dirty resolution off-screen and they realized they need Harley to be their leader instead of continuing the conflict from season 1 and bringing in an organic resolution. To some, their acknowledgment that Harley sacrificed herself to free them from the Joker last season was enough. To some, it wasn't. It was also a nice surprise to see the gang grow by a few more with the addition of Bud and Lou at long last and also the return of Takashi. If I remember right, he had a brief cameo in "Finding Mr. Right" - when Lois and Superman met up to eat sushi. Something tells me Bud and Lou and Frank are not going to get along. Heh.

The rescue at Iceberg Lounge was totally balls to the wall fun, Harley and the crew using her frozen predicament as a weapon stage, Harley vs. Penguin, his surprise death - reminder not everyone is safe on this show, and the others are stunned but Harley cheerfully suggests coffee. Then the bombshell it's been two months. lol. Harley's new bat was a nice nod to one seen during the Amanda Connor run of Harley comics.

And I guess we know have a countdown to when will Batman wake up.

I loved the very simple yet perfect lesson here. Harley won against the Joker, but she was wallowing in it for too long and it came back to bite her then her goon rebellion was 'very Harley' but the wrong strategy as Ivy predicated. But it would be hilarious if one of Riddler's goons becomes Cluemaster. And now, the season arc is set up nicely.

And yeah, Commissioner Gordon is definitely put through the wringer in this episode. He learns Batman is missing, GCPD headquarters is stolen from him, his officers abandon him then rob him, the Batsignal is destroyed, and his wife wants a divorce. Even though, Gordon's sub-plot was really depressing... I'm still interested to see where they're going with this since we know Batgirl debuts soon. Course, it wasn't all depressing. The coconut joke played as did Gordon's first scene with Robin.

Taking the focus to a group of Gotham villains and no Joker or Legion of Doom in sight is really exciting and if the Penguin vs. Harley slugfest is any indication, this arc should be a real blast. Throw in the official debut of Mr. Freeze, voiced by Alfred Molina, and more Bane – it's an Italian chef finger kiss. The door bit and Freeze being called out on his research right off the bat is a great start to his introduction after some teases last season. The villains meshed really well with each other, especially at Bane's expense. The coffee maker, the dogsitting, the folding chair. Or when Two-Face and Riddler had to contend with their goons. I loved all of it. I knew these guys would shine once Joker was out of the picture. Hope that lasts... but I mean, amnesia Joker will surely appear at some point.

Frontier

Staff member
It's kind of interesting seeing an adaption of No Man's Land from the perspective of the villains, to where the main thrust is destabilizing the city even more and consolidating power rather then trying to really establish order and save the city like it was in the comic :ack:.

Bud and Lou! And they're actually called Bud and Lou :D.

Not all the Justice League was taken captive by Fables, but I guess Gotham being cordoned off means they don't have the freedom to go in there and do anything. I'm curious if we'll ever see an attempt to free them at this rate :oops:.

I guess it figures that Harley would want the Henchmen to strike out for themselves after she did, but most of them just went for cheaper versions of their old bosses. No wonder they all flocked back in the end :sweat:.

"Injustice League?" Even though it's all Batman villains? Is this like a commentary on how prevalent Batman is on the League :rolleyes2:?

BANE LIVES!!! I'm kind of curious what happened to the rest of the Legion of Doom, but who cares, Bane is alive! I just wish the other villains would treat him better. Although he's the only one who seemed to want to work with Harley, so I wonder if that'll play into the conflict somewhat :anime:.

I was wondering if they'd keep Mr. Freeze's motivation as being related to Nora in this continuity. But it does kind of get into the funny dichotomy of Freeze that all he wants to do is help his wife but he has to commit numerous crimes in his quest to do so. Alfred Molina sounds like he's retaining an accent to Freeze's voice ala Arnold and Peter Stormare, which is interesting. And his design is killer :cool:.

I like that they kept Two-Face taking over the police department and the courthouse from the comics :).

So with Batman away...we're stuck with an incompetent Damian Wayne Robin. I guess Nightwing is stuck in Bludhaven :(?

Poor Jim. He's lost his best friend, his marriage may be completely over, and he's so deluded he's singing his own theme song. Poor guy :crying:.

I love how Bane's henchemen are luchadors ;).

"I took down Joker!" Well, to be honest, Ivy took down Joker. Harley barely accomplishes anything on her own on this show :p.

Oof, Harley killing Penguin was pretty brutal. After Scarecrow, it looks like this show is really playing for keeps. I wonder what they'll do with the Iceberg Lounge o_O?

I'm curious where they're going with that reveal of Bruce at the end. Is he going to have amnesia from what happened? Did the chemicals do something to him? Assuming Harley really does become the Queen of Gotham and takes over control of the city, will we need Batman to come back to stop her? And what about Joker :confused:?
But it would be hilarious if one of Riddler's goons becomes Cluemaster.
Glad I'm not the only one who thought of that :D.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Harley Quinn "New Gotham"

Too dark and violent for me. Was Penguin's nose getting bitten off a riff on the fact that he did that to a guy in Batman Returns? I'll say this much: Penguin will not be missed.

Harley's goons committed an awful lot of murder. Previously we were supposed to think they were harmless compared to the Queen of Fables but the show can't keep its story straight. It's annoying.

The one thing I like was Damian's attempt to take over the mantle of Batman. That was ludicrous and weirdly adorable. And I freaking HATE Damian Wayne!

Yeah, still not a fan. **.

Frontier

Staff member
Harley's goons committed an awful lot of murder. Previously we were supposed to think they were harmless compared to the Queen of Fables but the show can't keep its story straight. It's annoying.
Harley's always come off like a hypocrite to me at times. I mean, to be honest, this is pretty much the situation that they were trying to prevent Scarecrow from instigating back in season 1 with pure anarchy in Gotham, but now they're reveling in it.

-batmat-

Yes, those are fair points, very valid, and very true, but I feel like you are discussing this series as if it were Young Justice or something. It does not take itself seriously and neither should we. I enjoyed the first episode a lot!

Yes, it's very violent, but Im used to that level of violence in cartoons after stuff like Family Guy and Rick & Morty, so it doesn't bother me.

The characters are great, I really love Harley's team!

I liked Mr Freeze's design but I don't get why he's german, if that's a joke, I didn't get it !

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Yes, those are fair points, very valid, and very true, but I feel like you are discussing this series as if it were Young Justice or something. It does not take itself seriously and neither should we. I enjoyed the first episode a lot!
It's the fact that the series asks me to not take bodies being gorily ripped apart seriously which is what my problem is. I don't find that a particularly humorous subject matter, and I am quite disturbed by people who do.

-batmat-

It's the fact that the series asks me to not take bodies being gorily ripped apart seriously which is what my problem is. I don't find that a particularly humorous subject matter, and I am quite disturbed by people who do.
I think the overly gore, bloody and violent style of the show is not necessary at all to be honest. They feel like they need to do that to set the show apart from everything else, but , it is a bit off puting. The show is a comedy, and it does excellent at that. I don't think the violence you refer to is not supposed to be "funny", only "mature" or "R rated" or whatever and that's unnecessary if you ask me.

But I don't mind it because Im used to it in shows like Family Guy and Rick & Morty, so I don't feel like it's a deal breaker at all. I like the rest of the show enough to keep me watching. The comedy is great and the funny take on characters is great (specially Bane, Clayface and King Shark).

But to each his own of course!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Harley Quinn Season Two continues today at 5am (PST)/ 8am (EST) on DC Universe! Show your support for Harley Quinn on Twitter by live-tweeting @DCUHarleyQuinn and #HarleyQuinn to @TheDCUniverse during today's episode!

HarleyQuinn.jpg

Friday, April 10, 2020 - #15 "Riddle U"
Synopsis: Harley and Ivy go undercover as college students to take down Riddler, who's made himself the dean of the local university, where he has sinister plans for the students - including Barbara Gordon, Commissioner Gordon's daughter!