"Harley Quinn (HBO Max)" Animated Series News & Discussion, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Well, a few things:

We know per the solicit for the new comic that Harley ends up throwing in with the Batfamily while Ivy joins the Legion of Doom
You know. Wonder if Ivy does so by force and kills Lex.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
This seems to be making the round online, with Schumacker liking tweets from people looking to save the show. I think it's a bit too early to panic and I have NO idea who this guy is... but I suppose we should be prepared for disappointment anyway:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
This seems to be making the round online, with Schumacker liking tweets from people looking to save the show. I think it's a bit too early to panic and I have NO idea who this guy is... but I suppose we should be prepared for disappointment anyway:
Maison is editor-in-chief at Cinelinx, a news site. I don't keep up with that site but I recall he doesn't do clickbait and only publishes what's he's confident to be true. It would suck royally if this is the scale of the DC Nation collapse and YJ and HQ get axed for no good reason.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Man.. not looking good. WB Animation, especially when it comes to DC has arguably had the most consistent success for the company when it comes to these characters. Why mess with that?

Frontier

Staff member
Man.. not looking good. WB Animation, especially when it comes to DC has arguably had the most consistent success for the company when it comes to these characters. Why mess with that?
It seems like Zaslav didn't really think animation or all ages entertainment fit with HBOMax or the HBO image, although it seemed like they were fine with all ages content on Cartoon Network and the like, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't think much of animation.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Another SDCC interview. Get into how they designed and cast characters.
-Mentioned Bader and Meloni recorded together for the pilot and Bader had to tell Meloni to stop acting/walking around. Meloni laughed at his own lines.
-For the writer's room, they start with what's the emotional issue of the episode then go into the comedic parts.
-For season 3, Nora's arc is she wants to party and not deal with her own issues.
-Jamiesen Borak pitched Court of Owls story back in season 1 but couldn't find a place for it.
-Saw lot of people for role of Nightwing. Emo brooding version of Nightwing was partly inspired by Titans one.

Frontier

Staff member
Another SDCC interview. Get into how they designed and cast characters.
-Mentioned Bader and Meloni recorded together for the pilot and Bader had to tell Meloni to stop acting/walking around. Meloni laughed at his own lines.
-For the writer's room, they start with what's the emotional issue of the episode then go into the comedic parts.
-For season 3, Nora's arc is she wants to party and not deal with her own issues.
-Jamiesen Borak pitched Court of Owls story back in season 1 but couldn't find a place for it.
-Saw lot of people for role of Nightwing. Emo brooding version of Nightwing was partly inspired by Titans one.

Bader teaching VA work to Meloni. I guess he hasn't done it as much since First Flight :p.

Yeah, I got the sense Nora wasn't processing her emotions in a healthy way before :sweat:.

I guess that's one thing to take from Titans :rolleyes2:.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
So... found a list of season 4 titles from the same site the Caped Crusader, Batwheel, TTG titles were found. Listed for 2023.
-Getting Ice Dick, Don't Wait Up
-Gotham's Hottest Hotties
-Icons Only
-II Buffone
-Most Culturally Impactful Film Franchise
-B.I.T.C.H.
-Business Conference Without Chlamydia
-Metamorphosis
-Potato Based Cloning Incident
-Killer's Block

Frontier

Staff member
So... found a list of season 4 titles from the same site the Caped Crusader, Batwheel, TTG titles were found. Listed for 2023.
-Getting Ice Dick, Don't Wait Up
-Gotham's Hottest Hotties
-Icons Only
-II Buffone
-Most Culturally Impactful Film Franchise
-B.I.T.C.H.
-Business Conference Without Chlamydia
-Metamorphosis
-Potato Based Cloning Incident
-Killer's Block
I'm not often a sceptic, but it feels kind of odd seeing season 4 episodes when A. season 4 hasn't been officially announced and B. it hasn't seemed like they've been continuing production :confused:.

Unless they were confirmed for another 26-episode order and basically wrote it that way.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I'm not often a sceptic, but it feels kind of odd seeing season 4 episodes when A. season 4 hasn't been officially announced and B. it hasn't seemed like they've been continuing production :confused:.

Unless they were confirmed for another 26-episode order and basically wrote it that way.
That could be a likely explanation. Another one is that they register episodes to the website as soon as they're written, since from what I recall, the first season of Caped Crusader wasn't written too long ago. So, these likely aren't too far into production and maybe they're keeping them under wraps for a season 4 announcement.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah, I think it's either:
a) The renewal wasn't just for a 3rd 10 episode season but also 4th 10 episode season but they kept the latter secret to focus on promoting season 3.

b) It was recently renewed but kept a secret. This seems unlikely given the current 'the sky is falling' situation at WBD.

In any case, most likely a reveal for season 4 was being kept under wraps until the fall after season 3 finished premiering and for a late fall convention like DC FanDome or New York Comic Con but sucks an entertainment registry index site is a thing. While not as dumb as the solicit for the next comic book tie-in seemingly spoiling the season 3 finale, I thought I was hallucinating when I happened upon it.

But to sum it up, hell yeah!

Last edited:

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Not to throw cold water on this, as I really want another season of the show (well, multiple really), but I have just come across this tidbit from Kevin Smith.

He was writing an episode of Strange Adventures, alongside Eric Carrasco. This episode would have involved Bizarro, with Superman popping up at the end. Nicholas Cage was being eyed for Bizarro.

Despite the show appearing on EIR databases, it has been killed by the new regime. Based on what he has heard, he suspects the Green Lantern show is also gone along with most DC shows that are HBO MAX Originals.

That means the following could still be in trouble:
- Doom Patrol
- Titans
- The Penguin
- Young Justice
- Harley Quinn

If Zaslav can get a tax write down, he'll clearly take it no matter how far along in production these shows are. I hope B:CC and MAWS are safe being CN shows, but with him looking to make cuts in this area as well, we can never be too confident.

Who knows what they are thinking over there

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Not to throw cold water on this, as I really want another season of the show (well, multiple really), but I have just come across this tidbit from Kevin Smith.

He was writing an episode of Strange Adventures, alongside Eric Carrasco. This episode would have involved Bizarro, with Superman popping up at the end. Nicholas Cage was being eyed for Bizarro.

Despite the show appearing on EIR databases, it has been killed by the new regime. Based on what he has heard, he suspects the Green Lantern show is also gone along with most DC shows that are HBO MAX Originals.

That means the following could still be in trouble:
- Doom Patrol
- Titans
- The Penguin
- Young Justice
- Harley Quinn

If Zaslav can get a tax write down, he'll clearly take it no matter how far along in production these shows are. I hope B:CC and MAWS are safe being CN shows, but with him looking to make cuts in this area as well, we can never be too confident.
I'd contend it's Kevin Smith. He even cautions aside from his role on Strange Adventures, everything else he says on the video is from things he read online. Nothing else is fact. Strange Adventures was an untested live action anthology series with a roster less than A-list characters changing each episode, five cohorts of writing teams, and with a budget of $16 to 20 million each episode? I'm not too shocked it was canned.

Bringing it back to Harley Quinn, they didn't really say anything about adult animation yet. Children's programming, yes, they did. But Harley Quinn is established series with a pretty strong following. And I'm not sure if the new regime still considers Harley one of their franchises but she's pretty famous lately and in the zeitgeist. We're still in uncertain times for the next year when it comes to animation. And take into account, there's a lot of contradicting reports about the future of HBO Max and its various series.

But thanks for mentioning Strange did show up on the EIR page but was canned. It doesn't mean it's a guarantee if it's on that site.

Last edited:

colomb

If they couldn't afford YJ a decade ago, they wouldn't be able to afford those shows now.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts