"Harley Quinn (HBO Max)" Animated Series News & Discussion, Part 2 (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Welcome to the second installment of the largest Harley Quinn discussion thread online! The show will move to HBO Max for its 3rd season.

HarleyQuinn.jpg

HARLEY QUINN
Release Date: November 29, 2019 October 11, 2019

Season 1: November 29, 2019 to February 21, 2020
Season 2: April 3, 2020 to June 26, 2020
Season 3: July 28, 2022 to September 15, 2022

Description:
Harley Quinn has finally broken things off once and for all with the Joker and attempts to make it on her own as the criminal Queenpin of Gotham City. With the help of Poison Ivy and a ragtag crew of DC castoffs, Harley tries to earn a seat at the biggest table in villainy – the Legion of the Doom. She’s got her eyes on the prize and nothing can stop her, except maybe Batman and Commissioner Gordon or her jealous, deranged ex. But don’t worry – she’s got this. Or does she?

Things change quickly for Harley, though! Shockingly, Gotham has become a desolate wasteland, left in ruins, following a huge earthquake. Harley’s celebration in this newly created chaos is cut short when Penguin, Bane, Mr. Freeze, The Riddler and Two Face join forces to restore order in the criminal underworld. Calling themselves the Injustice League, this group now stands in the way of Harley and her crew from taking sole control of Gotham as the top villains of the city.

Produced by Warner Bros. Animation, and based on the characters from DC, Harley Quinn boasts an all-star voice cast including Cuoco as Harley Quinn, Lake Bell (Bless This Mess), Jason Alexander (Seinfeld), Tony Hale (VEEP), J.B. Smoove (Curb Your Enthusiasm), Alan Tudyk (Doom Patrol), Ron Funches (Powerless), Wanda Sykes (Not Normal), Christopher Meloni (Law and Order: SVU), Diedrich Bader (American Housewife) and many others.

Harley Quinn is produced by Ehsugadee Productions in association with Warner Bros. Animation, with executive producers Kaley Cuoco, Sam Register, Justin Halpern, Patrick Schumacker and Dean Lorey.

Main Cast & Credits:

Voice Talent
Kaley Cuoco – Harley Quinn
Lake Bell – Poison Ivy
Alan Tudyk – The Joker / Clayface
Ron Funches – King Shark
J.B. Smoove – Frank the Plant
Jason Alexander – Sy Borgman
Wanda Sykes – Queen of Fables
Giancarlo Esposito – Lex Luthor
Natalie Morales – Lois Lane
Jim Rash – The Riddler
Diedrich Bader – Batman
Tony Hale – Dr. Psycho
Christopher Meloni – Commissioner Gordon

Executive Producers
Justin Halpern
Patrick Schumacker
Dean Lorey
Sam Register
Kaley Cuoco

Previous thread:
"Harley Quinn (DC Universe)" Animated Series News & Discussion, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Related threads:
-Complete Season 1 and 2 Blu-ray Talkback
-Complete Season 2 DVD Talkback
-Harley Quinn: The Eat. Bang! Kill. Tour Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)
-Harley Quinn: The Real Sidekicks of New Gotham Comic Book Special Talkback (Spoilers)
-Harley Quinn: Legion of Bats! Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)
-Kite-Man: Hell Yeah! News and Discussion

Comments?

Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion. Keep your posts the thoughtful, relevant and insightful. Do not post any improper or inflammatory material, in addition to conducting yourself in a proper and civilized manner. And please, don't post for just the sake of posting. Have something of worth to add to the conversation. We will issue warnings and infractions if we believe it necessary. Remember, keep discussions ON-TOPIC!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Now that begs the question, do we get exclusive digital streaming of the DC Universe line on HBOMax now :confused:?
Most likely. Everything is going to HBO Max come January and DCU becomes a comic book app basically. So I'm guessing the original series will be up and some of the classics then eventually more classics cycled in. Pretty much what that what's coming in October article in the HBO Max thread infers.

Didn't HBO Max greenlight some specials for that Adventure Time series after it ended on CN? I wonder what the length was on those. Maybe something like that could on the table for the DC series. Like here, they could do a special that focuses on each of the cast taking place over one day through their POVs- one on Harley, one on Ivy, one on King Shark, one on Clayface?

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Only one Adventure Time special premiered so far and it was around 45 minutes, I think all were announced as being an hour long. (Unless you meant how long it took them to announce the specials after the show ended, in which case it was over a year).

It would be kind of cool if they made some bonus content for the show. I know they said Ivy's origin would be explored in the new season, but that could work as a mini-movie instead.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Only one Adventure Time special premiered so far and it was around 45 minutes, I think all were announced as being an hour long. (Unless you meant how long it took them to announce the specials after the show ended, in which case it was over a year).

It would be kind of cool if they made some bonus content for the show. I know they said Ivy's origin would be explored in the new season, but that could work as a mini-movie instead.
Thanks!

True. And in addition, Clayface. His origin has been touched on the least among the crew.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Well, Harley is a merchandising machine :p.
10/15: lol. Whatever helps the show. I kinda want that Legion of Doom shirt.

10/16: Minor note but Schumacker says they hope to start the writer's room in a couple weeks.

10/23: Might be HQ-related, might not. But Warner Archive hinted "December is going to be abnormally PACKED with new releases."

11/3: Schumacker revealed the Season 3 writer's room started last week and reiterates it will be a huge Ivy-centric season.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Considering we might finally be getting her full backstory, I can believe it :).

I can even see her driving Harley's actions this season now that they're together...she did say she'd be willing to go on an eco-terrorism binge with her :p.
11/3: I just want to see Ivy confront her awful parents once and for all.

11/19: Nominated for Best Animated Show and Smoove and Cuoco nominated for Best VA by Critic's Choice Awards.

11/20: Complete Season 2 DVD set for February 16, 2021. Presumably the Blu-ray will release that day, too, or early Spring.

11/24: Schumacker says it's a goal in season 3 for Batman and Catwoman to have screen time together.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
John Siuntres did an interview with Schumacker a week ago and he did reveal a few things about season 3 or you can watch the video:

-29:54 The writer's room starts on Monday (December 14)

-31:37 Many writers are coming back, they hired 4 new writers, Chrissy Pietrosh and Jessica Goldstein will write, Dean Lorey was unable to return to co-run because he's working on a Disney+ show currently in production so Pietrosh and Goldstein will be new co-showrunners, too, and some LGBT writers were hired.

-36:40 Going to try to have cast remotely record together

-43:28 he likes the idea Kite Man is wounded but has moved on, potentially still an ally of Harley and Ivy, they're spitballing on who his new partner will be, at one point Golden Glider came up and making her as ditzy as him

-1:00:56 Season 3 will be 10 episodes, they will be writing scripts over the next 25 weeks, have a general idea where they want to take the show

-1:05 HBO Max people told them to keep doing what they're doing

Schumacker also talked about other things like:

-first 14 minutes, pre-Harley Quinn projects

-14-21 minutes, working on season 1 without much red tape, focus groups loving Gordon, Clayface, and Bane, original Aquaman Momoa bro idea is rejected by DC so they made him like Gaston from Beauty and the Beast

-21:23 Bane

-26:03 Alan Tudyk

-38:13 Ivy and Kite Man

-44 Queen of Fables and Praxis

-55:34, Bruce Timm's sole contribution to the series was suggesting the dog stopping peeing mid-stream when Dr. Psycho says the C-word to Wonder Woman.

-56:08 (other projects) a rejected Yogi Bear pitch, hints he's working on a luchador series

Frontier

Staff member
John Siuntres did an interview with Schumacker a week ago and he did reveal a few things about season 3 or you can watch the video:

-29:54 The writer's room starts on Monday (December 14)

-31:37 Many writers are coming back, they hired 4 new writers, Chrissy Pietrosh and Jessica Goldstein will write, Dean Lorey was unable to return to co-run because he's working on a Disney+ show currently in production so Pietrosh and Goldstein will be new co-showrunners, too, and some LGBT writers were hired.

-36:40 Going to try to have cast remotely record together

-43:28 he likes the idea Kite Man is wounded but has moved on, potentially still an ally of Harley and Ivy, they're spitballing on who his new partner will be, at one point Golden Glider came up and making her as ditzy as him

-1:00:56 Season 3 will be 10 episodes, they will be writing scripts over the next 25 weeks, have a general idea where they want to take the show

-1:05 HBO Max people told them to keep doing what they're doing

Schumacker also talked about other things like:

-first 14 minutes, pre-Harley Quinn projects

-14-21 minutes, working on season 1 without much red tape, focus groups loving Gordon, Clayface, and Bane, original Aquaman Momoa bro idea is rejected by DC so they made him like Gaston from Beauty and the Beast

-21:23 Bane

-26:03 Alan Tudyk

-38:13 Ivy and Kite Man

-44 Queen of Fables and Praxis

-55:34, Bruce Timm's sole contribution to the series was suggesting the dog stopping peeing mid-stream when Dr. Psycho says the C-word to Wonder Woman.

-56:08 (other projects) a rejected Yogi Bear pitch, hints he's working on a luchador series
Well, Harley's at her most queer now so probably an appropriate time for more LGBTQ+ writers :).

I dunno, I feel like Kite Man should stay as far away from Harley and Ivy as possible. Too much bad blood and broken promises. I kind of like the Golden Glider idea though, if only because she's probably the one main member of Flash's Rogues who has never been in animation :p.

As long as everyone can safely record :ack:.

I am so glad they didn't just go for Momoa :cool:.

Shorter episode count, but I'm sure it'll still be as impactful ;).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I kind of like the Golden Glider idea though, if only because she's probably the one main member of Flash's Rogues who has never been in animation :p.
Good point. Though it would be funny if he hooked up with someone who has aerokinetic abilities like Windfall.
Looking back, the writing was kind on the wall. Back in September, inside sources supposedly said renewal negotiations hinged on a new budget for the series. That said, I'm fine with them trimming off 3 episodes. Still double digits so it's all good, imo.

Frontier

Staff member
Good point. Though it would be funny if he hooked up with someone who has aerokinetic abilities like Windfall.
Same. Now I'm imagining if she'll have that thick Australian accent like in YJ :p.
Looking back, the writing was kind on the wall. Back in September, inside sources supposedly said renewal negotiations hinged on a new budget for the series. That said, I'm fine with them trimming off 3 episodes. Still double digits so it's all good, imo.
Hopefully it's not Young Justice level of budget cuts :sweat:.

ShadowStar

Same. Now I'm imagining if she'll have that thick Australian accent like in YJ :p.

Hopefully it's not Young Justice level of budget cuts :sweat:.
I don't think we know for sure that YJ has had any budget cuts. :) Maybe that's being assumed on the basis of the weaker animation in season 3, but that may be happening for other reasons. The show runners would have to weigh in and confirm or deny those kinds of views.

10 episodes for season 3 of HQ should be good!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I don't think we know for sure that YJ has had any budget cuts. :) Maybe that's being assumed on the basis of the weaker animation in season 3, but that may be happening for other reasons. The show runners would have to weigh in and confirm or deny those kinds of views.

10 episodes for season 3 of HQ should be good!
I thought Frontier was alluding to the anime-esque still shots in episodes of Outsiders rather than actual animation.

reflection01

Well, Harley's at her most queer now so probably an appropriate time for more LGBTQ+ writers :).

I dunno, I feel like Kite Man should stay as far away from Harley and Ivy as possible. Too much bad blood and broken promises. I kind of like the Golden Glider idea though, if only because she's probably the one main member of Flash's Rogues who has never been in animation :p.

As long as everyone can safely record :ack:.

I am so glad they didn't just go for Momoa :cool:.

They did a good job of getting us to root for poor Kite Man. Keeping him around makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts