"Harley Quinn (DC Universe)" Animated Series News & Discussion, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
To be honest, the way they've re-framed Harley and her relationship with Joker in this series, it doesn't surprise me that they'd do a very different take on "Mad Love." If the writers have an opportunity to continue to downplay Harley's relationship with Joker in any way or form, they are likely to take it.

Although being "based on lies" is true to the source since in "Mad Love" Joker told Harley a bunch of lies about his background that she didn't figure out until Batman told her.

To be honest I actually appreciated this show wasn't automatically sticking Harley and Ivy together as a romantic couple and actually doing new stuff with them...but it seemed like that was unpopular :sweat:.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
There was actually a funny comment in that tweet about George Lopez voicing Darkseid.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
We already get a glimpse of it in the trailer :).
Yes, that's correct. It's what the person was asking Schumacker about and he provided some context.

EDIT: Another interview about season 2.
-It picks up right where the first season left off. Gotham is in shambles, sort of inspired by the “No Man's Land” comic book run, the city has been divvied up by several of the high ranking members of Gotham's rogues’ gallery.
-We track Harley as she makes her way in this new post-apocalyptic world of these territories.
-Season 2 for Harley is, "What do I want now that I'm not living my life for someone else? What is it that I want?"
-Episode 2 is the first appearance of Barbara Gordon. When we meet her, she’s a college student in Gotham and her university has been commandeered by the Riddler. So, that episode becomes a bit of a Batgirl origin story. She's kind of coping with living under lockdown with The Riddler as the dean of this university. Also, her father, Jim Gordon, is her roommate - kind of against her will. He’s shacking up with her while he is spiraling towards his lowest points. So, his misery along with the absence of Batman and because of her determination, she ends up becoming Batgirl.
-Catwoman is the only person in the world that Ivy melts over with admiration towards. The way we portray her is that she’s just cooler than cool and Ivy gets uncharacteristically giddy when she's around her. Like she's just this icon, she's Ivy's Lady Gaga. Writer Sarah Peters helped forming this show's Catwoman.
-Harley and Ivy need to extricate a certain weapon, which is under lock and key, at the National History Museum, which has been booby trapped and they need someone who is experienced in being slippery around booby traps. So Catwoman is a no-brainer.
-Jim Gordon even bristles with the fact that there's someone who's acting in Batman’s place
-Batgirl and Jim become unwitting partners at one point in the show. He's oblivious to the fact that it's his own daughter. Eventually he gets wise to it.
-Overall, Barbara is part of his redemption arc.
-Through the season, Harley and Kite Man’s relationship evolves. She begins to understand Kite Man more. There is a respect for him by the end of the season.
-Second season shakes up the crew by the end of it
-Bane gets more screentime this season
-Episode 22 overall of the series is the Themyscira episode. It's girl trip to Themyscira with Harley, Ivy, Catwoman, and a couple of other spoilerly friends that has huge ramifications on Harley and Ivy's relationship, while also having a musical number that has been in the works for a very long time that is very ridiculous.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
-It picks up right where the first season left off. Gotham is in shambles, sort of inspired by the “No Man's Land” comic book run, the city has been divvied up by several of the high ranking members of Gotham's rogues’ gallery.
-We track Harley as she makes her way in this new post-apocalyptic world of these territories.
-Season 2 for Harley is, "What do I want now that I'm not living my life for someone else? What is it that I want?"
Kind of a no-brainer ;).
-Episode 2 is the first appearance of Barbara Gordon. When we meet her, she’s a college student in Gotham and her university has been commandeered by the Riddler. So, that episode becomes a bit of a Batgirl origin story. She's kind of coping with living under lockdown with The Riddler as the dean of this university. Also, her father, Jim Gordon, is her roommate - kind of against her will. He’s shacking up with her while he is spiraling towards his lowest points. So, his misery along with the absence of Batman and because of her determination, she ends up becoming Batgirl.
Jim is so desperate and in such dire marital straits that he ends up living with his daughte rin her college dorm :p.
-Catwoman is the only person in the world that Ivy melts over with admiration towards. The way we portray her is that she’s just cooler than cool and Ivy gets uncharacteristically giddy when she's around her. Like she's just this icon, she's Ivy's Lady Gaga. Writer Sarah Peters helped forming this show's Catwoman.
That's a different take on the relationship. Usually Ivy and Selina are treated as equals or even begrudging allies. Actually get the sense that Harley and Ivy are a little newer on the scene compared to other characters like Batman, Joker, and I guess now Catwoman :confused:.
-Harley and Ivy need to extricate a certain weapon, which is under lock and key, at the National History Museum, which has been booby trapped and they need someone who is experienced in being slippery around booby traps. So Catwoman is a no-brainer.
She's certainly slippery :rolleyes2:.
-Jim Gordon even bristles with the fact that there's someone who's acting in Batman’s place
-Batgirl and Jim become unwitting partners at one point in the show. He's oblivious to the fact that it's his own daughter. Eventually he gets wise to it.
-Overall, Barbara is part of his redemption arc.
Jim and Batgirl working together sounds neat. I'm actually kind of surprised that this version will wise up that it's his daughter :sweat:.
-Through the season, Harley and Kite Man’s relationship evolves. She begins to understand Kite Man more. There is a respect for him by the end of the season.
I'm down for Harley and Kite Man :).
-Second season shakes up the crew by the end of it
New members? Dead members? Big status quo shift :cool:?
-Bane gets more screentime this season
What we all want to hear :D.
-Episode 22 overall of the series is the Themyscira episode. It's girl trip to Themyscira with Harley, Ivy, Catwoman, and a couple of other spoilerly friends that has huge ramifications on Harley and Ivy's relationship, while also having a musical number that has been in the works for a very long time that is very ridiculous.
I'm guessing the "spoilers" are other female villains...maybe Livewire? They don't know Cheetah. I wonder if they'll be close enough with Batgirl to bring her in :confused:?

The Harley and Ivy thing makes me think the Amazons introduce them to the idea of lesbian subtext...

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jim is so desperate and in such dire marital straits that he ends up living with his daughte rin her college dorm :p.
Part of the season premiere focuses on Jim so more context on the way.

New members? Dead members? Big status quo shift :cool:?
I'm curious if we're going to see more characters from Amanda Connors' run like the Gang of Harleys. But I was thinking maybe Harley installs each of her crew to manage the territories they take over the course of the season since they will presumably dispatch the Injustice League.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
It's kind of funny how the showrunners for Harley Quinn are so open with talking about what's going to happen in the season but for the other streaming animated series, Young Justice, it's the total opposite. lol.

But yeah, I think this might be the first time someone voices Nora in animation.
It's because the producers of Harley Quinn don't think it's a deeper or more serious show than it actually is. And I personally attach an equal amount of frivolity to Young Justice's lousy writing, so all of the secrecy there strikes me as extra tedious.

Frontier

Staff member
It's because the producers of Harley Quinn don't think it's a deeper or more serious show than it actually is. And I personally attach an equal amount of frivolity to Young Justice's lousy writing, so all of the secrecy there strikes me as extra tedious.
From the interview they seem to treat the material and fan investment seriously, because they talk about their ideas and the thought process behind it. They might just really like talking about what they have coming up :p.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I doubt Damian is the first Robin too (and we know the Teen Titans exist), so I wonder where Dick is :confused:?
4/4: I'd guess he's long since moved away from Gotham and is probably Nightwing in Bludhaven or the West Coast with the Titans.

EDIT: Schumacker revealed season 2 was originally going to air in the fall.

4/6: More Man-Bat in season 2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts