"Harley Quinn (DC Universe)" Animated Series News & Discussion, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
She's officially DC's Deadpool. I've never seen anything this hilariously scathing and right on the money at the same time.

Frontier

Staff member
Brandy Harrington is Harley Quinn. Then again, she was also the villainous Weathervane on Loonatics Unleashed. It also sounds like DiedrichBader is back as Batman.

‘Big Bang Theory’ Star Kaley Cuoco to Voice Harley Quinn in DC Universe Series
I love how they're equal opportunity about making fun of the Deadpool cartoon and the stereotype for anything DC related :p.

The animation looks more like the kind of animation you'd see for an adult animated comedy then what I was expecting from the promo art, but I guess it makes sense all the same :shrug:.

Not really sure how I feel about Harley's voice. No offense to Kaley Cuoco, but Harley sounds weird without her accent. And Ivy sounds a little too blase for me :(.

Diedrich Bader returning as Batman for this feels fitting :).

SweetShop209

If the Joker appears, then I have two ideas for who could voice him. If he's a bit younger than normal, I say go with Troy Baker since he subbed in for Mark Hamill as a younger Joker in Batman Arkham Origins. On the other hand, Tony Hale was mentioned in the article, meaning he could reprise the role from Batman Ninja.

Troy Troodon

The only thing that does worry me is Harley mentioned gratuitous violence, which would contradict the show censoring language.

WebMasterSage

Obey the Pecking Order.
Yeah, this is gonna be Sailor Moon meets Rick & Morty and Daria all in one. Kaley's Harley pretty much screams the female Ryan Reynolds. (Deadpool shot fired is like so sad but hilarious in every way)

If the Joker appears, then I have two ideas for who could voice him. If he's a bit younger than normal, I say go with Troy Baker since he subbed in for Mark Hamill as a younger Joker in Batman Arkham Origins. On the other hand, Tony Hale was mentioned in the article, meaning he could reprise the role from Batman Ninja.
Or just go something new, like Jason Marnocha. (Yeah I know he's a Youtube voice actor, but he does an amazing Hamill impression)

Also that's Lake Bell as Poison Ivy.

Troy Troodon

Actually that does got me on a confusing bit of detail; in their cell, Joker's face is pasted on a cardboard print of a male supermodel. Does Harley still have a thing for Mistah J. ?!

Frontier

Staff member
Actually that does got me on a confusing bit of detail; in their cell, Joker's face is pasted on a cardboard print of a male supermodel. Does Harley still have a thing for Mistah J. ?!
The premise for the show involves their breakup and Harley trying to one-up him, but I'm guessing they may portray Harley as still not being over him (which is totally in-character).

Troy Troodon

The premise for the show involves their breakup and Harley trying to one-up him, but I'm guessing they may portray Harley as still not being over him (which is totally in-character).

Are you sure, cause she seems over him in the comics.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
DC Universe revealed the rest of the cast is Lake Bell, Alan Tudyk, Ron Funches, JB Smoove, Jason Alexander, Wanda Sykes, Giancarlo Esposito, Natalie Morales, Jim Rash, Diedrich Bader, Tony Hale, and Chris Meloni.

Frontier

Staff member
DC Universe revealed the rest of the cast is Lake Bell, Alan Tudyk, Ron Funches, JB Smoove, Jason Alexander, Wanda Sykes, Giancarlo Esposito, Natalie Morales, Jim Rash, Diedrich Bader, Tony Hale, and Chris Meloni.
Kinda cool to see some of the cast from Powerless return in here :).

Considering Tudyk is listed third in the cast, I wonder if he's playing Joker. Although Tony Hale is also listed right after Diedrich Bader, who's Batman, and he's a former Joker VA...

But a lot of comedy people in the cast, which I guess makes sense ;).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Imo, don't poke the 'in-universe logic' of the teaser too much and take it as face value - it's a minute promo reel to hype the show before it is previewed at NYCC. Here's a snippet - some of the voices, some of the humor, some of the easter eggs - some of which may or may not make the final cut - get some eyeballs and chatter on social media up on the lead up to the DC Universe panel this week.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
The preview looks pretty good. So I guess there was some truth to that rumored cast list from a while ago that claimed Cuoco would voice the main character in this. She sounds decent enough but I need to see and hear more before forming a proper opinion. I do like how they're using her classic outfit, since the promo art prior to this had a more recent design. I guess it remains to be seen if this will change again by the time the show comes out.

All in all, a decent enough first look. The character designs and animation look fine to me. The humor seems pretty good as well. I'm not really a huge fan of Harley Quinn but I do still plan on checking this out eventually after it is released.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
The only thing that does worry me is Harley mentioned gratuitous violence, which would contradict the show censoring language.

Honestly a lot of series actually do have pretty graphic violence while still censoring language. Especially animated series. I mean look at the violence in say Superjail and Rick and Morty and in Superjail they couldn't of even said the s word and even in Rick and Morty they can't say the F word so goes hand in hand. Plus if Harley does break the 4th wall more that could be a joke to make. Like there's this whole big bloody fight scene that ends with her going "....f--" and noticing it bleeped and going "really after all that?"

Honestly this worked for me because of the interaction between Harley and Ivy. Having Ivy being more incredibly cyncial regardless of whether or not they're breaking the fourth wall to Harley's manic energy works great as a comedic duo and that alone sells me on the show since I doubt each episode is going to be mocking DC's super darkness or Harley actually getting a show over Deadpool. Guess we'll see how the rest of the cast will play out in a more actual trailer/series itself but I'm wayyyyyyyyyy more sold on this then say Titans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts