"Harley Quinn (DC Universe)" Animated Series News & Discussion, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
harleyquinndcusslogo.jpg

According to Deadline (and other outlets), Warner Bros’ upcoming DC-Branded direct-to-consumer digital platform has ordered 26 episodes of half-hour adult animated action-comedy series Harley Quinn. Continue below for more details.

Release Date: November 29, 2019 October 11, 2019
Season 1: November 29, 2019 to February 21, 2020
Season 2: April 3, 2020 to

Harley Quinn, which also will feature Poison Ivy and other popular DC villains (and heroes), is the third series to be greenlighted for the new DC digital platform - operated by Warner Bros. Digital Networks Group - joining live-action Titans, from Greg Berlanti, Akiva Goldsman, Geoff Johns, Sarah Schechter, and the anticipated revival of cult animated series Young Justice.

Written and executive produced by Halpern, Schumacker and Lorey,Harley Quinn, based on the DC characters, focuses on Harley Quinn who has finally broken things off once and for all with the Joker and attempts to make it on her own as the criminal Queenpin of Gotham City. The series features Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy and a whole cast of heroes and villains, old and new, from the DC Universe.

Sam Register, president of Warner Bros. Animation and Warner Digital Series, also executive produces. Jennifer Coyle (DC Super Hero Girls: Hero of the Year) produces with Halpern and Schumacker’s Ehsugadee Productions in association with Warner Bros. Animation.

Thoughts on this surprising news?

Mod Note: This thread will be changed to a "news and discussion" thread in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoryWilliams

Holy crap. So between this and Deadpool I wonder if we will start seeing more animated adult comedies based on superheroes.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Halpern and Schmacker from Powerless? Uh... yeah.

Coyle from DC Super Hero Girls, cool.

Margot Robbie in the top of the list to voice, neat but I don't see that happening.

Development art looked pretty rad.

Part of me still had the gut reaction of "No Wonder Woman animated series?"

I guess I'm mixed on it.

Frontier

Staff member
I guess this was the only way for Harley's popularity to finally culminate :p.

I'm not sure how I feel about giving Harley her own cartoon, but I think this might be pretty fun depending on how they handle it :D.

Looking at the premise and the production art, it looks like this is going to be a mix of the Karl Kesel and Jimmy Palmiotti/Amanda Conner Harley run, with Harley leaving the Joker and trying to make it as a master criminal from the former but with the art style and a few characters from the latter :cool:.

Halpern and Schmacker from Powerless? Uh... yeah.
Hopefully they have better luck with this then they did in Powerless :sweat:.

Coyle from DC Super Hero Girls, cool.
She definitely has plenty of experience with Superhero animation ;).

Margot Robbie in the top of the list to voice, neat but I don't see that happening.
It would be pretty big if they got her back to do it, even if it is probably a long-shot. Then again, she does enjoy playing the character, so you never know :anime:.

I'm also curious who they'll get to play Batman, Joker, and Ivy, as well as all the potential guest stars.

Looking at who all's in the bar from left to right: Big Tony (from Harley's current book), Magpie, Ivy, Harley (and her imaginary gopher), Clayface, Kite-Man ???, the Terrible Trio, Maxie Zeuss, King Shark (?), Condiment King, and Killer Croc(?)

Development art looked pretty rad.
Reminds me a lot of Amanda Conner's art style (the cover artist and co-writer of the current Harley ongoing comic) :).

Part of me still had the gut reaction of "No Wonder Woman animated series?"
Same here :(.

Alternatively I think it's good to see the service is open to animated productions and it definitely diversifies what original content they have to offer, though so far it seems to all be skewing to older audiences :ack:.

ToonJay723

Staff member
Nice seeing more content on the service, and that they're giving these shows the full 26 episode treatment. I hope the art style looks close to the concept they showed.

WebMasterSage

Obey the Pecking Order.
So this is DC's first Adult oriented cartoon centering around Harley. I guess this had to be done cause of Deadpool on FX.

Though it says that Margot Robbie is eyed to voice Harley Quinn in the show. You know what, that would be pretty cool. She's played a great Harley already and it'd be nice for her to be officially useful for it. Hope that works out.

I can pretty much see it they'll make her an Anti-Sailor Moon or something.

Frontier

Staff member
I'm curious to see if they're going to greenlight anything for this service that's aimed at kids or more general audiences, or at least have content there that's a little more appropriate for kids, because everything announced so far does seem aimed at older and more mature audiences.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I'm not the biggest Harley Quinn fan out there (especially not her more recent portrayals) but it's pretty cool she's getting her own animated series. The "adult animated action-comedy" approach isn't that surprising. I'll still check it out, it could be fun. The concept art looks nice and I like the mix of villains.

It's great to see the upcoming DC Digital Service has plans to produce more new cartoons (and possibly live-action shows) than what was originally announced. And full 26 episodes orders as well. I imagine it will be a while before Harley's show comes out, Young Justice: Outsiders will most likely premiere before this.

Green-Ghost

Would be nice if they get Margot Robbie, but she seems pretty busy with movies and even has a good chance to win an Oscar for I, Tonya next year. So it is doubtful that she's doing an animated show.

Hope they don't fall back on Tara Strong this time...I am sorry, but I can't stand her Harley voice anymore. Really hard to listen to and very little range.

Last edited:

Greg91

Reporter
This is pretty interesting. I've found myself less interested in the current version of Harley Quinn though. I much prefer the classic BTAS version with the jester outfit than her current design. Hopefully this show at least captures what made Harley so enjoyable originally. It's really cool that a character who first appeared in an animated series is getting her own animated series.

Also, despite the way Beware the Batman was treated, I'm so glad Magpie and her redesign have created a small legacy for the show in The Lego Batman Movie, Batgirl #8 comic and now hopefully this show, if the characters in the concept art show up!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Considering GL:TAS and Beware were reactions to WBA learning about Nick's CGI TMNT series, I'd bet this show is a reaction to the Deadpool series.

Would be nice if they get Margot Robbie, but she seems pretty busy with movies and even has a good chance to win an Oscar for I, Tonya next year. So it is doubtful that she's doing an animated show.

Hope they don't fall back on Tara Strong this time...I am sorry, but I can't stand her Harley voice anymore. Really hard to listen to and very little range.
We'll probably be wondering this for awhile - will they find a new actress or will a past one reprise like Tara Strong, Hynden Walch, Grey Griffin, Meghan Strange, Laura Bailey, Jenny Slate, Melissa Rauch, Laura Post, or Sirena Irwin?

EDIT: Twitter accounts to keep an eye on are @PMSchumacker and @justin_halpern.

Schumacker guaranteed Ivy will be a huge part of the series.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Yeah, I have a feeling that this show will lean more towards older fans, with a TV-14 rating. I mean, the producers for this series are primarily known for live action DC works , just like how the producers upcoming Deadpool cartoon are more known for live action Marvel stuff (correct me if in wrong), which is also aimed for older audiences. I mean, if this show (alongside Deadpool) were being made with kids in mind, then it would've had producers/writers more associated with family friendly shows like Paul Dini, Kevin Burke & Chris Doc Wyatt, Matt Wayne, or whoever.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
I don't think so, I am incredibly sick of Harley Quinn no way am I putting money down for this.

Harlequinn

Joker's Henchman
I've found recent portrayals of Harley to be hit and miss but I'm hoping that in a wacky animated series focused on her we see a good rendition of Quinn. I really like the art style and the colors in the image. I'm surprised to see Magpie in the image, in her Beware the Bat get up.

I hope this is telling of this service continuing to give us animated content.

Frontier

Staff member
Considering GL:TAS and Beware were reactions to WBA learning about Nick's CGI TMNT series, I'd bet this show is a reaction to the Deadpool series.
I did not know this...is there any confirmation from WB?

We'll probably be wondering this for awhile - will they find a new actress or will a past one reprise like Tara Strong, Hynden Walch, Grey Griffin, Meghan Strange, Laura Bailey, Jenny Slate, Melissa Rauch, Laura Post, or Sirena Irwin?
Whoever it will be will have to be someone who they can get for 26-episode recording sessions and for subsequent seasons.

Even if they did get Margot Robbie back I'm not sure if she could keep up with that in her schedule :sweat:.

On the positive side, even if someone isn't crazy about Harley, Ivy being a prominent part of this series should also be good ;).

SweetShop209

They'd probably get Melissa Rauch to reprise the role since she's more famous to general audiences than Tara Strong, yet would not be as expensive to hire as Margot Robbie, since Melissa is more associated with tv than movies.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I'm cautiously optimistic about this, even if a little Harley can go a long way. The talent behind this dampens the excitement, but perhaps they'll snag Dini to write a few scripts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts