"Harley Quinn and Batman (2017 Mini-Series)" Comic Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and discuss the "Harley Quinn and Batman" comic series!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Check out what happens before the events of the animated Batman and Harley Quinn animated movie in this special prequel digital comic series!

HARLEY QUINN AND BATMAN #1

Written by: Ty Templeton
Art by: Rick Burchett

The Story: Harley’s sure she’s the best thing that ever happened to her puddin’, but the Joker treats her like just another henchperson. There’s only one thing to do: get the Batman involved!

Discuss this digital comic series here!

iammattie

Well that was disappointing to say the least. The art is extremely shaky and off model the whole issue. Definitely doesn't live up to Burchett's work on the Adventures books.

The story so far has me concerned. I know this isn't only the first issue so as it goes on and more gets filled out maybe that opinion will change. However, as it stands, the writing seems very bland.

Based on the character designs I assume the intent is for this series to be set during TNBA/Gotham Adventures era. My concern is that, as a prequel to the movie I assume the point is to show the events that drive Harley and Joker apart and possibly leading to why she's on parole. In my head I feel like Mad Love and Wild Cards both do enough to build this tension. Plus, if my assumption is correct about where the plot is headed, does setting this in TNBA era disregard Harley's appearance in WIld Cards?

Bruce Timm stated he didn't go back and rewatch DCAU episodes to check for continuity errors on the movie, and with how rushed the artwork on this comic looks I'm gonna assume deadlines didn't allow Ty to do much research either. I guess we'll see though.

I was watching a writers workshop on YouTube last night that Ty hosted all about getting stories out on deadline and he really seems to know what he's doing and can make a good story under pressure. So perhaps whether this fits continuity or not it seems like we may still get a fun self contained story at the very least. I'm just hoping the dialogue seems less bland in upcoming issues and that the art hits a better quality.

Is it a double post if they're 10 hours apart? anyway, io9/Gizmodo interviewed Burchett/Templeton.

Of note:

In my mind, we pick up no more than a month or so after our last adventure in the DCU (which was more than 10 years ago, I think). The last status quo for the characters (in the comics, anyway) was that Joker and Harley almost got married as part of a fairly twisted scheme that didn’t pan out (Batman Adventures Vol. 2, issue #16) and each went back to Arkham at the end of that story, so I figure they’ve busted out since, and were working on a nefarious prank to kill or inconvenience hundreds of Gothamites.

So it seems like this can be interpreted 3 different ways. Either this is no more than a month after JLU, no more than a month after Batman Adventures V2 #16 (before Wild Cards), or no more than a month after Wild Cards (from my analysis #16 is the fall prior to Wild Cards).

This quote slightly eases my concern about their possible continuity scuffles since it seems Templeton kept both the comics and shows in mind (although it seems he's not too sure about whether 16/Wild Cards would occur in what order)

Joker doesn’t mistreat her in this story. Something else ends the partnership, but I’m not telling what it is.

Poison Ivy perhaps? although a curveball would be welcomed seeing as we've had Ivy try to split the two before.

Plus the folks at Warner Animation buried me in reference for the series. I probably have the largest collection of model sheets, backgrounds, style guides, and storyboards of anyone outside the studio.

I'd love to see this collection

I wanted to set up their relationship before the movie begins so the scenes you see in the film have backstory and history to inform them. There’s at least one big scene from the film that will be a lot funnier if you read our mini-series before you see the film. It’s a great scene on its own, but we toss some ironic backstory in the mix.

This seems like a fun concept

Last edited by a moderator:

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
That's why I'm waiting for the graphic novel (or more substantial issues, if they are releasing them). These little digital chapters are rarely satisfying and always feel limp.

I too have to say I'm a little disappointed in the art from the preview. Perhaps this was a late idea and DC had Burchett working at a ridiculous pace.

iammattie

Perhaps this was a late idea and DC had Burchett working at a ridiculous pace.

That's what I'm assuming. I was looking back over it last night and there's panels where lines are crossing over in loathing that shouldn't cross and I can't imagine why they'd ink that rather than erase the little mistakes unless there legitimately was no time.

Something I was thinking about though, with that interview they gave referencing BA v2 #16, that issue reveals that the main stream Poison Ivy was a plant clone and she died in the backstory in the issue (which had the original Isley working with alec Holland). With Howe ivy centered the movie and comic seem to be I wonder if the story here will have some bridge from point A to B

iammattie

I wonder why they pushed it back. Perhaps complaints about the art? But if that's the case I wonder why they waited til last second to announce that? Was it supposed to hit today or tomorrow? Should we expect the third issue to be delayed?

So many questions...

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Bruce Timm basically hints in this video (around the 6 minute mark) that this came really late in the game. It sounds like Templeton and Burchett had to bang this out. A real shame, but hopefully it picks up.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I wonder why they pushed it back. Perhaps complaints about the art? But if that's the case I wonder why they waited til last second to announce that? Was it supposed to hit today or tomorrow? Should we expect the third issue to be delayed?
I would guess PR pumped the brakes on DC and wanted the focus today on the theatrical screenings and the digital release tomorrow. So probably these prequel arc issues is probably pushed back 2 weeks for #2 to 5. They never gave a set date for the sequel arc, just October, so in terms of logistics , no big deal. Maybe it would help the artists and colorists in the last few issues.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The second chapter of the Batman and Harley Quinn prequel comic series is here!

HARLEY QUINN AND BATMAN #2

The Story: Harley sicced Batman on the Joker and got away clean, but she’s still not happy. Maybe grabbing some diamonds out of Catwoman’s safe will help?

iammattie

The art, while still not perfect, looks much better on this issue. I'm wondering why they went with Condiment King when his only DCAU appearance has him as a brainwashed civilian, but I guess it's not the hardest continuity error to explain away. The writing felt a lot better this time, and in definitely intrigued by the back and forth between the comic and the movie about Ivy's personhood. I'm gonna assume that with how they've already referenced the comic she dies in that she is a plant clone in this, but I guess we'll see. With them introducing Shrubbie/Doug here I wonder if they plan on introducing Catwoman's henchmen from the 66 show that are at the bar

Spider-Man

The art looked better? A good chunk of the issue looked unfinished and barely sketched in. The artwork was incredibly disappointing this time around, and it appears they are scrambling to hit their deadlines. It's a shame as I really enjoyed the first issue. I was even debating getting the special release of this with the packed-in comic but I think I'll pass when I buy my Blu-ray copy tomorrow.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The third chapter of the Batman and Harley Quinn prequel comic series is here!

HARLEY QUINN AND BATMAN #3

Art by: Luciano Vecchio

The Story: Harley’s solo crime spree gets sidetracked by her best pal Ivy’s plans. Why is that kinda thing always happening to our heroine?

iammattie

Oh man, as refreshing as it is to see the quality in Vecchio's art after the lack in Burchett's, I kinda feel bad that he got kicked off the project. I'm wondering what kinda behind the scenes drama occurred

Spider-Man

Why does their have to be drama? Maybe Burchett fell ill or his schedule is fuller than he expected (he does do daily comic strips). It seems to me that DC got the sequel part of this series done first since it was packaged with the Blu-ray for Best Buy and they did this afterwards and his schedule just didn't work. No drama, likely just a simple explanation. This issue was really good and it was great to see Vecchio's artwork again. This issue looked really great.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Real cute with the supplier in a trench coat. Like we don't know who that was. lol.

Batman and Catwoman. Guess that bridge has been burned at this point. Though that sets up Nightwing's retort in the movie when Batman finds him with Harley.

Doug's design still throws me off when I see it.

Rather interesting in this prequel story, there's the TNBA-era Batmobile as well as Nightwing's mullet since the first issue. Nightwing's stop the car was a nice callback to Harley's stunt in the movie.

iammattie

Rather interesting in this prequel story, there's the TNBA-era Batmobile as well as Nightwing's mullet since the first issue. Nightwing's stop the car was a nice callback to Harley's stunt in the movie.

Well, there wasn't the comment Ty made about this run not taking place more than a month after "status quo" for the characters (which he referred to as Batman Adventures v2 #16) so it'd be during the run of JL still, and we see the mullet in JLU so it makes sense to me

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Well, there wasn't the comment Ty made about this run not taking place more than a month after "status quo" for the characters (which he referred to as Batman Adventures v2 #16) so it'd be during the run of JL still, and we see the mullet in JLU so it makes sense to me
It was a passing observation, but since you mentioned an interview. -- it was in the io9 article. Templeton said:
In my mind, we pick up no more than a month or so after our last adventure in the DCU (which was more than 10 years ago, I think). The last status quo for the characters (in the comics, anyway) was that Joker and Harley almost got married as part of a fairly twisted scheme that didn’t pan out (Batman Adventures Vol. 2, issue #16) and each went back to Arkham at the end of that story, so I figure they’ve busted out since, and were working on a nefarious prank to kill or inconvenience hundreds of Gothamites.
I think he's talking about two things. I took it 'last adventure in the DCU' is an allusion to "Destroyer" - aired May 13th, 2006. He then mentions the Batman Adventures' final issue (fall 2004 I think) but the way he phrased it is that's his own head canon - the '(in the comics, anyway)'. So I think Templeton is saying this prequel comic is post-Destroyer, imo.

iammattie

It was a passing observation, but since you mentioned an interview. -- it was in the io9 article. Templeton said:
I think he's talking about two things. I took it 'last adventure in the DCU' is an allusion to "Destroyer" - aired May 13th, 2006. He then mentions the Batman Adventures' final issue (fall 2004 I think) but the way he phrased it is that's his own head canon - the '(in the comics, anyway)'. So I think Templeton is saying this prequel comic is post-Destroyer, imo.
Yeah. I take it as either or. I'm not passing full judgement until it's finished off honestly. I have a certain theory about Joker and Ace that takes him out of comission until after she dies in Epilogue so I personally like trying to fit all his appearances prior to Wild Cards, but if something arises in the comics that makes it impossible I have no problem with changing how I'm currently viewing it. Granted, a month after BaV2 is already stretching it with Ivy being revealed to be a plant clone who dies in the mentioned issue, and Harley swearing off teaming up with her in that issue as well, but my mental gymnastics are assuring me all is fine in one way or another lol

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The fourth chapter of the Batman and Harley Quinn prequel comic series is here!

HARLEY QUINN AND BATMAN #4

The Story: This time, Ivy’s gone too far! No one treats Harley like a sidekick (well, not any more).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.

Featured Posts