Hanna-Barbera.

VG_Addict

What are your thoughts on Hanna-Barbera? On one hand, they did make Tom and Jerry, which was genuinely good, they essentially created the animated sitcom with Flintstones and Wait Till Your Father Gets Home, and Butch Hartman and Seth MacFarlane came from HB. On the other hand, they made a lot of cheaply animated cartoons and recycled a lot of their own premises. I mean, how many times did they copy the Scooby-Doo formula?

AnotherRandomGuy

The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away
Hannah Barbara is a mixed bag in terms of animation history, on one hand they helped create all time classics like Tom and Jerry, and helped introduce the concept of an "adult cartoon" in the form of The Flintstones.

One the other hand, they also helped popularize the idea animation is cheaply produced children's fare with no further value beyond that, which even today we haven't fully shaken off.

LinusFan303

Squeak
I am glad they existed , they did some entertaining things without them I don't think we'd have Cartoon Network because what would Ted Turner have bought to make as a place to air the stuff he bought. Also because they had talent there who started the early Cartoon Network originals. And again I loved Flintstones, some of the Scooby Doo series, 2 Stupid Dogs the Jetsons and more. They weren't a perfect company and of course they did cheap things but that's what the networks wanted.

dumbfoolkid5

They may make some interesting vehicles and have some interesting concepts like their superheroes. But their sense of humor is horrible! Some of their cartoon humor scarred me for life and not in a good way. I hate Tom and Jerry and the like. How can those be humorous?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TMC1982

On one hand, they did make Tom and Jerry, which was genuinely good, they essentially created the animated sitcom with Flintstones and Wait Till Your Father Gets Home, and Butch Hartman and Seth MacFarlane came from HB. On the other hand, they made a lot of cheaply animated cartoons and recycled a lot of their own premises (as evidence by how many times they copied the Scooby-Doo formula). In a nutshell, their output ranges from great, to terrible, cheap crap depending on the budget, and era the material was produced.

Neo Yi

Joustus!
Staff member
Reporter
Since it's Hanna-Barbera, this topic seems geared towards the Boomerang forum, so I'm going to move this thread there.

dumbfoolkid5

Well there are some good shows they made, like Wait Till Your Father Gets Home, These Are The Days, Devlin and Sealab 2020.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dudley

Staff member
They’re a pretty big influence for me. I find their body of work fascinating. I don’t expect a studio that mass produced content on a deadline and a budget to have everything they make be in high quality, but there are definitely plenty of gems in there. I also really like the majority of their art direction and character design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looney Turtles

Well, there's obviously Tom & Jerry, but also The Flintstones, Scooby Doo, Yogi Bear and Top Cat. I think HB has the unique "feel" that other cartoons don't really quite capture. The original Scooby Doo cartoon, for example, is still very watchable. And without them, we would have never gotten the Fairly OddParents and Danny Phantom, as Butch Hartman came from them. Overall, I like HB.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts