Hanna-Barbera properties that need reboots or revivals on HBO Max

hobbyfan

The HB superheroes could all use live action reboots.

Jonny Quest should have a series on The CW once the film that has been stalling is finally released (the series would pick up where the film left off), with the first season containing a 2-part storyline which serves as a reunion for the MacGyver reboot, featuring actors from that series reprising their roles on that show. Somehow I would also like a crossover with the Magnum PI reboot. These events would establish the live action Quest works as part of the Belisarioverse.

The other HB superheroes should have live action series on HBOmax that are part of the DC TV multiverse.

All of these shows would be co-produced by Greg Berlanti.

Jonny Quest, a la Berlanti? No thanks. We have enough shows with the same tiring format on the CW now, Kung Fu being the latest.

For as long as that movie's been in turnaround, the more likely it is it never got past the talking stage. 'Sides, they need a way younger protagonist than Zac Efron, who'd been attached.

None of the HB heroes should be in live-action form. Shazzan you could do with CGI, but then you have to find human actors of an appropriate age to play Chuck & Nancy. Unfortunately, Shazzan & Arabian Knights can't be done in the modern era, because despite the characters being portrayed in a positive light, there are stereotypes to be addressed, I think.

I think you may be a bit salty because the current MacGyver has come to an end.

Something to consider:

MacGyver is owned by ViacomCBS. Magnum PI is shared by ViacomCBS & NBCUniversal. They don't mix well with WB properties, contrary to your supposition.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
@Fone Bone This is a good way censorship can be put to good use. Unlike putting bleeps on Star Trek Lower Decks.

Furthermore, inter-company crossovers are not limited to comics. Case in point: the Super Smash Bros. series since Brawl.

Last edited by a moderator:

harry580

I think the 90s series failed miserably and Warner Bros executives are too stupid (am I allowed to say that here?) to give it another chance.
or maybe the turner buyout by time Warner (now known as warnermedia) that put hanna barbera in a verge of being close down lead to the series being cancelled

the greenman

Jonny Quest could work. The only issue is today's "WOKE" culture. Who can we possibly have as an antagonist, that wouldn't be offended? I think this is the reason Spielberg bailed out of Indy 5. Smart man.

I think it's really one of the last HB toons (next to Jetsons) slated like forever ago for live action.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

wiley207

Jonny Quest could work. The only issue is today's "WOKE" culture. Who can we possibly have as an antagonist, that wouldn't be offended? I think this is the reason Spielberg bailed out of Indy 5. Smart man.

I seem to recall "Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated" also had a strong "Jonny Quest" influence at times, being such a dark and serious action-themed cartoon. Even that off-screen fatal shooting I mentioned quite a bit is similar to what the original "Jonny Quest" would do. But I don't know if they could pull such a thing off nowadays (2012 was a different time). And a couple of episodes even had Dr. Benton Quest appear, with Jonny Quest making a cameo in one of them!

coldglynx

Jonny Quest could work. The only issue is today's "WOKE" culture. Who can we possibly have as an antagonist, that wouldn't be offended?
You can make any villain today. Just don’t resort to using racist stereotypes and it will be fine.

Superhero movies and the James Bond movies haven’t had a problem today making interesting villains without going the racist stereotype route. If they can do it so can Johnny Quest. In fact it already happened. In the Real Adventures of Johnny Quest there were zero offensive racist characters in the show. They were villains with real motivations who were just evil. Regardless what there race were.

Last edited:

harry580

Hanna barbera thread few months ago: "I can't wait to predict what Hanna barbera show could get revived or reboot"

Hanna barbera thread now: "is Hanna barbera racist?"

the greenman

I would agree with @harry580 about bringing in the universe of HB space superheroes characters. Herculoids, Birdman & Galaxy Trio, Space Ghost. I think right now (with WB) it's a similar thing with how Disney makes everything about Star Wars and killed all their other intellectual properties like Tron.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

MegasMilo379

Finally.
I'd love to see new versions of
Funky Phantom
Clue Club
Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan
Chattanooga Cats
(especially Around the World in 79 Days -- the only serial segment)
Devlin
Speed Buggy
Drak Pack
Snorks
2 Stupid Dogs

hobbyfan

I'd love to see new versions of
Funky Phantom
Clue Club
Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan
Chattanooga Cats
(especially Around the World in 79 Days -- the only serial segment)
Devlin
Speed Buggy
Drak Pack
Snorks
2 Stupid Dogs

WB does not own Snorks, nor would they now have the license to adapt Charlie Chan, so those are out.

As for the Cattanooga Cats, I'd like to see that, too, but they would have to petition the estate of Jules Verne to try another adaptation.

MegasMilo379

Finally.
WB does not own Snorks, nor would they now have the license to adapt Charlie Chan, so those are out.
Well, of course they're out. It's not like it'll happen anyway.
I just knew they were produced by Hanna-Barbera.
Can you blame me?

Last edited:

harry580

I would like to know too. Since its well documented that Hanna Barbera produced the show and no one else. Hanna Barbera is owned by Time Warner so that makes them part of WB.
so maybe he thinking about another Hanna Barbera cartoon that is not owned by Warner Bros like the animated series based on screen gems/columbia television show

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts