Hanna Barbera or Warner Brothers?

Classic Hanna Barbera or Classic Warner Brothers?

• Total voters

mjg0503

I know WB owns HB now, but I'm talking classic Hanna Barbera (Scooby Doo, Jetsons, Flintstones) vs. classic WB (Looney Tunes). Personally, I think they both rock, but I'm going to have to vote for HB. After all, that's where Scooby came from!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jave

Beware of the SPLAT
Staff member
Reporter
Easy. Warner Brothers.

JCorey3rd

Underdog wasn't an HB series - Total TV made it using the same Mexican animation studio Jay Ward used for Rocky and Bullwinkle.

mjg0503

JCorey3rd said:
Underdog wasn't an HB series - Total TV made it using the same Mexican animation studio Jay Ward used for Rocky and Bullwinkle.
My bad. Wow, that's a pretty big mess up too, I'm a real HB fan. Okay, let's replace that with another couple great shows then. Yogi Bear and Huckleberry Hound. And let's not forget Tom and Jerry!

muttley123

I'm going with HB. Scooby, Flintstones/Pebbles & Bamm Bamm Show, Josie & The Pussycats, Perils of Penelope Pitstop, Wacky Races, Capt.Caveman & Teen Angels, Jonny Quest, Funky Phantom, and Wait Till Your Father Gets Home are all among my favorites.

Ducktales Fan

Classic Television Fan Here
TheBlueHombre said:
Hanna-Barbera came up with the greatest cartoon character of all time - HUCKLEBERRY HOUND! No other character comes close. H-B all the way.
I don't understand .... what makes Huckleberry Hound so GREAT compared to the other cartoons of both Hanna-Barbara and Warner Bros.??

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Warner Bros. wins the cake, no matter what era they're in.

Let's face it: A lot of Hanna-Barbera's cartoons are terrible. Sorry, but they are. The animation is horribly cheap, the plots aren't well-thought-out, and the jokes are cheesy. The only H-B cartoon to have any good animation is Tom & Jerry, and for storylines, The Flintstones and The Jetsons. Some of their other famous productions like Huckleberry Hound, Snaugglepuss, Yogi Bear, etc. are only good for jokes.

Everything else? Trash. Seriously, whoever thought that a team of basketball players or a music band with a talking shark would be qualified to fight crime? And, save for Jonny Quest, their "action" cartoons are more laughable than Plan 9 From Outer Space. (Okay, maybe that's not a BAD thing if you get your kicks this way, but still...) The company only started becoming good again when Turner bought them and had them create original productions for Cartoon Network.

Warner Bros., on the other hand, has done well in more areas with their Looney Tunes. Their animation was in no way cheap, they had a diverse staff of directors with their own styles, and they didn't resort to gimmicks.

Mr. Manager

Daikun said:

Let's face it: A lot of Hanna-Barbera's cartoons are terrible. Sorry, but they are. The animation is horribly cheap, the plots aren't well-thought-out, and the jokes are cheesy. The only H-B cartoon to have any good animation is Tom & Jerry, and for storylines, The Flintstones and The Jetsons. Some of their other famous productions like Huckleberry Hound, Snaugglepuss, Yogi Bear, etc. are only good for jokes.

Everything else? Trash. Seriously, whoever thought that a team of basketball players or a music band with a talking shark would be qualified to fight crime? And, save for Jonny Quest, their "action" cartoons are more laughable than Plan 9 From Outer Space. (Okay, maybe that's not a BAD thing if you get your kicks this way, but still...) The company only started becoming good again when Turner bought them and had them create original productions for Cartoon Network.

Warner Bros., on the other hand, has done well in more areas with their Looney Tunes. Their animation was in no way cheap, they had a diverse staff of directors with their own styles, and they didn't resort to gimmicks.
You make some great points. Hanna-Barbera's repeated animation and reused designs are major downpoints.

k-unit101

Daikun said:

Yeah, but H-B's cartoons were produced as far back as the late 50's. Did the animation really have to be brilliant or have a great plot to be entertainment? I think not. Some people such as myself enjoy H-B's cartoons.

As for the original question of this post, I say both.

straw_hat

WB animation was way more fluid then HB could ever hope to achieve and they were made as far back as the 30s. The only reason you could cut HB slack for the sub par animation was due to television show budgets at the time.

Dr. Dave

Boy, talk about Bambi vs Godzilla. :D

It's Looney Tunes, hands down, no contest. Even the best of HB's work (speaking only of HB studios TV product) doesn't come close to the greatness of Warner Brothers.

TheBlueHombre

Ducktales Fan said:
I don't understand .... what makes Huckleberry Hound so GREAT compared to the other cartoons of both Hanna-Barbara and Warner Bros.??
Because Huck is my personal favorite cartoon character. PERIOD. No other reason. I have been a collector of Huckleberry Hound material since I was three years old and now I am about to turn forty-six. When it comes to Huck, I lead with my heart and not my head. There is just something about that blue dog that I love.

Subjectively, I think he is the best H-B character because you can put Huck in any situation at any point in history and the character will work. He can be a fireman one day and a member of King Arthur's Round Table the next. He is versatile and timeless. Yogi Bear is limited to Jellystone Park and the Flintstones are limited to the Stone Age. These limitations, though, help to drive the characters and their personalities. However, Huck is the most versatile.

My whole point is totally personal, okay? If I had the choice between a Huck cartoon or a Looney Tunes cartoon, Huck would win every time. I do like Looney Tunes and lots of other animation; I can watch any of it for hours. However, Huck will always be my absolute favorite.

Cyclops1

My real name is Behlol
Tom and Jerry is one of the most popular cartoons.But I think its because of its jokes.

MGFanJay

Warner Brothers in terms of sheer quality. HB had some talented folks whose later work would show just how wasted they were at HB.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

And now for the first matchup of round 1. It's Alternate Universe Christmas Tales. The matchup is between the My Little Pony episode "A Hearth's Warming Tail" to the Sesame Street special "Once Upon A Sesame Street Christmas".

Ready for December and 2021 to come!
The Minions Holiday Special was barely a holiday special; just a clip show with some new holiday themed animation sprinkled in. At least they showcased one new Christmas short film.
Just watched How the Grinch Stole Christmas tonight on NBC, and I noticed they cut out many scenes in this airing. It's been happening for a while.