Hanna-Barbera credits question?

CartoonFridays

Promoted to detective.
At the end of the credits of most Hanna-Barbera shows from the 60s to 80s, there would be a small square with the show's principal cast inside, even if it was a one-time special (like The Thanksgiving That Almost Wasn't and A Flintstone Christmas).
On some occasions, there would be two or three squares with a segment's cast (like The Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show and The Godzilla Power Hour)).
What was up with those cast squares?

EJLD4Ever

Animation Student
Somehow I think those are model sheets (which the animators use to keep the character looking consistent, an important consideration when multiple people draw the same character).

The Nameless

Demoted Regular
Why would they need to have a model sheet in the end credits, though? It's been bugging me for years too.

hobbyfan

I too believe they're model sheets. They were also in the indicia on H-B comics published by Gold Key and Charlton. Not sure about Marvel, though.

ap75021

Model sheets

As far as multiple artists dtawing the same characters, I really hope I'm not the only one who's noticed over the years how many different artists drew for Archie Comics and how different the characters looked fom one magazine to another (or even one story to another)...some of the character art looked absolutely horrendous to me when compared to whoever drew the classic group picture of The Archies for that first 1968 LP cover...so the "model sheet" idea makes sense to me in that regard.

CartoonFridays

Promoted to detective.
As far as multiple artists dtawing the same characters, I really hope I'm not the only one who's noticed over the years how many different artists drew for Archie Comics and how different the characters looked fom one magazine to another (or even one story to another)...some of the character art looked absolutely horrendous to me when compared to whoever drew the classic group picture of The Archies for that first 1968 LP cover...so the "model sheet" idea makes sense to me in that regard.
To tell the truth, I've seen some of those "portraits" on comic book covers, bu WHY STICK THEM IN THE CREDITS?

Bakertoons

One Sly Princess
Staff member
I asked Scott Shaw! about this on Facebook and he thinks it had something to do with copyright/trademark, although he's not sure why HB was the only studio to do it.

Doyng

Re:

I, too am fascinated by this little trademark of HB's.

Maybe it was to identify themselves as different, just as Filmation had the "Wheel of Producers" credit, or copyright issues?

It was the model size comparison sheet(s) that were there, no doubt. As said, The Gold Key Comic books of HB shows that had these, not the Marvel comic books of the 70's. It was a standard practice from 1965-1986 (with some exceptions, of course) on the shows and specials. I think it was also to identify the characters that were part of the series/special.

Here's a little bit of trivia: Ruby-Spears did this only three times (to my knowledge) with the following:

Saturday Supercade (S1, 1983, with the series logo only)
I Love The Chipmunks Valentine Special (1984, Model pose from series end credits)
The Puppy's Great (or Further) Adventures (1984 or '83) (from watching a CBS airing, but correct me if I'm wrong if it never existed. I'm positive I've seen this).

Last edited by a moderator:

CartoonFridays

Promoted to detective.
I, too am fascinated by this little trademark of HB's.

Maybe it was to identify themselves as different, just as Filmation had the "Wheel of Producers" credit, or copyright issues?

It was the model size comparison sheet(s) that were there, no doubt. As said, The Gold Key Comic books of HB shows that had these, not the Marvel comic books of the 70's. It was a standard practice from 1965-1986 (with some exceptions, of course) on the shows and specials. I think it was also to identify the characters that were part of the series/special.

Here's a little bit of trivia: Ruby-Spears did this only three times (to my knowledge) with the following:

I Love The Chipmunks Valentine Special (1984, Model pose from series end credits)
The Puppy's Great (or Further) Adventures (1984 or '83) (from watching a CBS airing, but correct me if I'm wrong if it never existed. I'm positive I've seen this).

Well, in a credit for "The Smurfs", The Smurfs were in the square, but Gargamel was in a separate mini-square to contrast their sizes.

Interesting info. Thanks! The earliest cartoon I saw this on was "Atom Ant".

Not sure, but I believe they are trademark insignia placed there for legal purposes. I remember any merchandise that used to come out such as comic books, etc., they would appear there too next to the publishing/legal/copyright info. Just to assert their trademark on the characters appearing within a given show. It does seem like many of them may have been taken from model sheets.

Eric B

Yeah, seems like some sort of franchising/branding stamp. I think I've seen it on some grocery products as well.

CartoonFridays

Promoted to detective.

I also saw a show-logo square on Yogi's Ark Lark.
I saw a credits picture pose on The Tom & Jerry Show.
I didn't see a character square on Amigo and Friends, Wait Till Your Father Gets Home, and The Snorks.

Bakertoons

One Sly Princess
Staff member
I didn't see a character square on Amigo and Friends, Wait Till Your Father Gets Home, and The Snorks.
"Amigo and Friends" wasn't really a Hanna-Barbera production; it was a Mexican animated series called "Cantinflas" that Hanna-Barbera later redubbed to English and sold in syndication.

Eric Brown

Logo in stone

If you wanted to see one of those model sheet logos cast in stone, there is one of the Flintstones literally cast in stone at the Flintstones theme park in Custer, South Dakota.

Mister Intensity

It probably was the first season of the Puppies in 1983 since that show was paired with Scooby and Scrappy Doo (The Scooby and Scrappy Puppy Hour with Yabba Doo).

Doyng

Re:

It probably was the first season of the Puppies in 1983 since that show was paired with Scooby and Scrappy Doo (The Scooby and Scrappy Puppy Hour with Yabba Doo).

Mister Identity,

The in box size comparison chart isn't on The Scooby and Scrappy Doo/Puppy Hour's end credits (1982). Hopefully, It might be on The Puppy's Further Adventures (1983) or The Puppy's Great Adventures (1984)

Again, correct me if I'm wrong about seeing it (if it doesn't exist, that is).

The model sheet squares/rectangles were omitted from the end credits to the solo syndicated airings of the two segments making up The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour (The Scooby-Doo Show and Dynomutt, Dog Wonder respectively).

~Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
How to Make Money as a Kid 2

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy birthday to Betty White (99), James Earl Jones (90), and Gennedy Tartakovsky (51).
Of the 3 Madagascar shows we have, All Hail King Julien stands out with its title and location. Unlike The Penguins Of Madagascar and Madagascar: A Little Wild, this one takes place on Madagascar while the others are in New York through an alternate continuity. Conversely, AHKJ is the only one to not have Madagascar in the title.
R.I.P. to musicians Tim Bogert (Vanilla Fudge, Cactus, Beck, Bogert & Appice) and Sylvain Sylvain (New York Dolls). Both passed away on January 13.
Will Disney Junior survive on television? The short answer is yes.

Featured Posts