Gundam toys and model thread

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Duke said:
Evidentally we're the only Model collectors here.
Well we know there are more fans here, so its a shame. Considering how well the similar Transformers thread is doing...

Altered States Magazine said:
Mini Defenders
This line of figurines based on Gashapon toys is being expanded in 2004. The previously announced Dark Gundam playset is still set for release for June, and joining it will be the first two Mini Defender sets based on the SD Gundam Force show. While not on display, both a SDG Gunperry and a Tank Big Zam have been announced.

An even larger playset is scheduled for release in the summer. This is a playset based around a Musha Gundam Fortress from the SD show. Since this has not appeared in the show as of yet, this location is likely from the upcoming Season 2. Included with the set are 10 Mini Defender figures that are exclusive to this set. The Fortress can also double as a carrying case for the Mini Defenders figurines.
I had a feeling we'd see the Dark Axis' Big Zam as a playset. The Gunperry doesn't sound too promising. I wonder if they'll release the Magna Musai, it seems destined to become a playset to me.

I have similar thoughts on this Musha Gundam Fortress- sounds like somewhere we'll see in Ark

Action Figures
The largest portion of the SD display was centered on the action figures. Tons of new designs were on display, many which were really nice surprises. If you enjoy the SD Gundam Force show, you are going to love what Bandai has in store. Almost every show robot character is getting a toy!
First off, Bandai is doing a special pack in promotion. Some figures will be packaged with a bonus DVD of the show, but there was no word on which episodes will be included.

In addition to the standard and deluxe size classes established in the line, three new size categories are being added to the action figure line. These are:

5" Action Defender Combination Set
These are the SD figures that combine with a companion. Knight Tallgeese and Knight Zero Custom fall under this category. They will sell for $12.99.

5" Action Defender Deluxe Vehicle Set
The SD figures in this category come with a large vehicle. The Gunbike set is in this size class. Each set will sell for $19.99

Battery Operated Mega Size Changing Defender
This is the high-end toy of the SD line. The mighty Gun Panzer is a motorized walking robot that can also transform into a transport vehicle to carry the smaller figures. Gun Panzer is 9" tall. The one on display was a prototype, but from his details, he looks like he is from Neotopia in the show. He will sell for $29.99.

Since I am not totally positive under what size classes some of these figures fall under, I am just going to describe each one individually.

Gold Captain Gundam
Captain Gundam is getting a gold repaint. He looks similar to the Hyper Mode Mobile Fighters from G-Gundam.
I'm guessing the DVDs will be pretty bare, with one ep, some character bios and some advertisments for the other toys.

GunPanzer sounds similar to the Carrier Zords from old Power Rangers. At Gundam Watch, Monocle added that it looks like a mix of Captain, the SD GMs and the Gundam Groundtype from 08th MS Team

Lemme guess....in Ark, Captain learns that Shute isn't the right way to activate the Soul Drive :p . Not too big on repaints but I'll be interested to see how this ties in. Hopefully its better handled then the SD Hyper Mode God Gundam and Master Gundam.
Yes, the Pawn Leo is getting an action figure! One of the nicest surprises of the entire showroom for me was this little figure. Bandai was kind enough to show off his action feature to ASM. When the gimmick is activated, Pawn Leo's faceplate will spin until it sets on an expression symbol. The symbol I managed to see was the little spiral that the Pawn Leos often displayed on the show. Pawn Leo also comes with a little crossbow gun.

Mercurius the Knight of Thunder and Vayeate the Knight of Storm
I am grouping these guys together for convenience. Both of them are getting figures, and they look great. The figures are a great representation of the characters.

Cobramaru
Cobramaru's gimmick was a bit of a surprise. His entire cobra portion, hood and tail, can separate from his figure. The figure underneath has a ninja-esque look to him, while the cobra parts seem to become some sort of sled.

Ashuramaru
Remember the nifty arm-unfolding trick Ashuramaru did in the show? The toy has the same feature! Ashuramaru also includes more then enough weapons to hold in each of his extra hands.
More lovable cannon fodder. I wonder if they'll do both colours of Leo.

These will probably be a nice duo. Only problem is making sure you can track down both.

Cobramaru shares a gimmick with his older MSiA brother. Ashuramaru sounds pretty cool too. I'm a fan of the -maru's, so I'll be on the look out for these.
Destroyer Dom
This guy was on display last year, but now he is going to be sold as a deluxe and not include the extra vehicle.
Finally, an answer! Too bad Dom lost his Gallop. Hopefully he'll at least come with a bazooka.
Knight Tallgeese and Griffon
Pictures of this guy have appeared but only of him separated from the griffon. The combined Griffon Tallgeese was on display, and he looked great, with a huge wingspan that dwarfs the main figure. He also has the big lance he used in the show.

Zero the Winged Knight and Fenn
This is the companion set to the Tallgeese. It comes with a complete Zero figure as well as Fenn as the Feathered Dragon. The Zero figure included in the set looks like the standard Zero released last year, but it is an entirely new figure. Fenn is in his Gundam Dragon form. Fenn can combine with Zero to become Zero Custom, the Knight of Silver Wings. Like Griffon Tallgeese, Zero gains a pair of gigantic wings in this form. He also has the twin swords he used in the show

Bakunetsumaru and Entengo
The Blazing Samurai and his faithful steed are another new set. Entengo is rather large, so it is a good chance that he is in the same size class as the Gunbike. The Bakunetsumaru figure included is different from the one sold on a card, as he can ride Entengo! He also has a removable helmet.
All 3 of these sound good. Nice to see them bring back the helmet idea which Zero was to have at one point. Since I've yet to buy Zero and Baku, I have to wonder if I should hold off for these releases or buy both so I can display one in basic form and one with its partner. Any advice?
4.5-Inch Action Figures
These are the Mobile Suits in Action. Bandai had a ton of these on display, most of it new product that was shown off for the very first time. The display featured almost every Gundam from SEED. The only ones I didn't notice were the Gold Frame Astray and the Providence Gundam. Included in this is an expanded Battle Scarred line.

A good number of the SEED Gundams were original, standard MSiA figures incorporating the design tricks from the RX-78 2.0 MSiA. The presenter was nice enough to let me look at the Duel Gundam up close and fiddle with him a bit. This was a final production piece and was a really nice, articulated, stable figure. The figure was the standard Duel, with no Assault Shroud armor.

Not to be left out, Bandai is also making MSiA sized vehicles, similar to the ones available in the previous lines. The Sky Grasper and the Justice Gundam's Subflight Lifter were prominently displayed.

Bandai is breaking down the MSiA's in the US as follows:

4.5-Inch Action Figures Each figure has over 14 points of articulation. There are over 30 planned on the MS's from Gundam Seed. These will sell for $5.99.

4.5-Inch Deluxe Action Figures Each figure has over 20 points of articulation and includes unique features such as transforming to an alternative mode or missile firing action. There are over 10 figures planned so far. These will sell for $7.99 each.

4.5-Inch Mobile Suit and Action Vehicle Each figure has over 20 points of articulation. It also comes with a vehicle that it can be combined with. These will sell for $9.99

4.5-Inch Deluxe Battle Scarred Action Figures</FONT></B> These are Battle Scarred versions of the SEED figures. One of the figures on display was a Battle Scared Red Framed Astray, which included a repair bay. These will sell for $7.99.

4.5-Inch Scarred Gundam SEED Action Figures and Deluxe Dioramas</FONT></B> These are a new item for 2004. Each figure also includes a 1.5-inch pilot figure and a deluxe diorama that has lights and sounds. The dioramas can be connected together to create a full battle area. From the looks of what was on display, this battle area looked like the scene that was used as the background for the animation used for the end credits for the first batch of Gundam SEED episodes. The Gundams matched up the battle damage detail rather well with what was in the show. These will sell for $12.99.
The SEED line is sounding great. I especially like the sound of the pilot figures and the combination diorama.

Duke

Truer Words Were Never Spoken
Yea, Zero & Tallgeese do not look right without their capes. (Though I'm so glad that TG doesn't have those stupid shoulder rocket packs like in Wing. God, those are annoying.)

Zero looks WAY too UNdetailed in the last photo there. I know the 1/144 Gundam models are basic but still, the Wing models had better detailing. You're slacking Bandai. Though I must say, the Gundam Marker, like it did with the other SD figures, kinda makes the figure look worse than it should. It just looks too black.

The newest wave of SD Gundam Mini-Defender figures has arrived. Since it's so new, few stores online have them, but you should be able to find them in any toy store. There's 4 sets this time, all from G Gundam. I don't know all the Gundams in each set, but it includes the five hero Gundams as well as random International Gundams and a few random MS. No Noble or Master Gundam, though the Butler Gundam is included.

You can check out Sets 1-3 here: http://www.gundamwatch.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=1101

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Duke said:
Yea, Zero & Tallgeese do not look right without their capes. (Though I'm so glad that TG doesn't have those stupid shoulder rocket packs like in Wing. God, those are annoying.)

Zero looks WAY too UNdetailed in the last photo there. I know the 1/144 Gundam models are basic but still, the Wing models had better detailing. You're slacking Bandai. Though I must say, the Gundam Marker, like it did with the other SD figures, kinda makes the figure look worse than it should. It just looks too black.

The newest wave of SD Gundam Mini-Defender figures has arrived. Since it's so new, few stores online have them, but you should be able to find them in any toy store. There's 4 sets this time, all from G Gundam. I don't know all the Gundams in each set, but it includes the five hero Gundams as well as random International Gundams and a few random MS. No Noble or Master Gundam, though the Butler Gundam is included.

You can check out Sets 1-3 here: http://www.gundamwatch.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=1101
To me, its kinda like seeing younger versions of them. Picture the capes being a symbol of a qualified Lacroan knight and Zero and Tallgeese as rivals in training.
You don't like Tallgeese's thrusters? I thought they were great. They made much more sense then the tiny ones the Gundams had.

I think the big problem with the SD Force kits are that they look so blocky. There's no real character in them.

The G Gundam Mini-Defenders definetly interest me. There's alot of MF/MS in those sets (Shuffle Alliance, Neo-Japan grunts) that didn't get MSiA or kits. I'd love to see Nobel and the Heavenly Kings down the line.

New news on the Dom situation- apparently, Bandai are gonna double-dip with this guy. Initial release will be just him, later followed by him and his Gallop. Now, for a set like Heavy Weapon Captain and Baku and Entengo I can easily understand why they'd do 2 releases. But Dom ALWAYS has his Gallop. Whilst its good for those with low funds, Dom without his Gallop just feels incomplete.

Duke

HellCat said:
You don't like Tallgeese's thrusters? I thought they were great. They made much more sense then the tiny ones the Gundams had.
It's not that I don't like the thrusters, I just don't like them attached to the shoulder instead of the back. Tallgeese is hard to pose as it is and the thrusters just limit its movement even moreso.

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Duke said:
It's not that I don't like the thrusters, I just don't like them attached to the shoulder instead of the back. Tallgeese is hard to pose as it is and the thrusters just limit its movement even moreso.
Ah, now I can see where you're coming from. They're definetly a problem for posing both Tallgeese itself and the Dober Gun/Mega Cannon.

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Even more even more SD news. Coming soon-

Commander Sazabi and Zako Red 2-pack :D

One of Sazabi's special Doga team

Dai-Shogun model kit (some confusion over if this is Ark's Dai shogun or a person getting confused with the RX-78-2 Dai Shogun).

Anyway, to steer this thread away from SD (and hopefully get some discussion going) :
ban923714.jpg

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?BAN923714

Master Grade Wing Gundam Ver.Ka! The second of the Ver.Ka MG kits, due for release this month. Looks great to me. Interesting how Katoki makes the relationship between Wing and Wing Zero more obvious (in the show, Wing's more like a Wing Zero GM).

Duke

Yea, it does look really awesome, but it also looks like the illegitimate child of Burning/God Gundam and Wing Zero Custom.

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Duke said:
Yea, it does look really awesome, but it also looks like the illegitimate child of Burning/God Gundam and Wing Zero Custom.
I think the Early Versions and Customs are a bit of a mixed bag. In some ways they improve on Okawara's designs, yet in others they just go for coolness factor. I think the worst one has to be Deathscythe Early Version. The white head just doesn't look right.

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Images of some newer items have been pointed out to me:

Destroyer Dom (Japanese release) http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?lp=ja_en&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffun.poosan.net%2Fpamela%2Fetc%2Fsd_destroyer%2Fmain.html

:eek: Dom certainly takes the record for accessories thus far. Considering he's being sold for the same price as his allies, I can see him doing well (HLJ have already sold out)

Gunbike (Japanese release) http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?lp=ja_en&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffun.poosan.net%2Fpamela%2Fetc%2Fsd_gunbike%2Fmain.html

Looks like the included figures have pretty bad paint jobs compared to the promotional pics.

SD Epyon (US Release) http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?lp=ja_en&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffun.poosan.net%2Fpamela%2Fetc%2Fsd_epyon%2Fmain.html

Have to say, I think the new SD style works well for Epyon. Too bad they got lazy on the wings.

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Recently ordered Grappler Gouf and Destroyer Dom from HLJ and they arrived today. I know Grappler has been available for a while, but Destroyer only became available this month. So for all those interested to see what it has to offer, here's my review of the Japanese release.

Packaging- The typical thing for a Bandai Japan release and much nicer then the US packaging, Dom comes in a box window box with a slide out tray. The packaging does a good job of keeping the theme of the show- there are dancing Zakos on the bottom and the image on the tray is the Zakarello Gate in the sky above Neotopia (would make a nice display background). The most interesting thing which was on the box of both figures was what appears to be a Zako point token. Since I can't read Japanese I have no idea what this is about, but I'm guessing Japanese fans can trade in the tokens for exclusive merchandise of some sort.

The figure- Dom looks identical to his anime self and is probably the most gimmick laden figure in the line yet. If you've seen the show then you'll know that Dom is a weapons freak and the figure represents that perfectly. In total he comes with 15 weapons! These range from beam cannons and grenades to more eccentric weapons such as a chainsaw and a grabber fist. Most of the weapons can be plugged into Dom via a simple rod into hole setup. Since there are more holes then weapons, there's plenty of potential to be creative.
Dom also has HeavyArms-inspired chest cannons but lacks the glowing mono-eye of the US releases. I'm of a 50-50 opinion on this. Its a nice gimmick but I really don't see much reason for anyone to miss it. Speaking of missing gimmicks... The Gallop tank is completly absent from this release. Its a mystery, especially since Dom's feet can pull off turning into a wheel as they'd need to to pull the Gallop around. Either it was scrapped too late to change the toy or we'll be seeing the Gallop down the line as a seperate item. Its a shame not to see it here but Bandai have more then covered its absence with the huge range of accessories that come with the figure.

Destroyer Dom is probably one of the funnest figures in the line so far. He has great options for both play and display and looks exactly like his show counterpart. Definetly reccomended.

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Yeah, I'm aware I'm beating a dead horse but a guy can dream, can't he? :sad:

Guneagle has started to appear in the US. A picture can be seen here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3185844648&category=16464

Also plenty of sightings of the first SEED MSiA.

EDIT- 2 other new SD figures are also popping up, Destroyer Dom and Gold Captain Gundam http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3185608506&category=16464 Destroyer has fewer weapons then the Japanese release and no Gallop. As for Captain, looks like for a while he's gonna be rare as scalpers snap him up.

Last edited by a moderator:

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Spike Mcdougal said:
Damn it where's the new version of Wing Zero, is that ever gonna get released stateside!?!
The one that fires missiles from the Twin Buster Rifle or a new transforming one?

Duke

GunEagle will probably be the only SD Gundam figure I'll ever get, but I'd much rather have a Model kit.

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Duke said:
GunEagle will probably be the only SD Gundam figure I'll ever get, but I'd much rather have a Model kit.
A 300 yen GunEagle kit is coming later this month, but after seeing the rest of them I don't think we can expect much. The same kits are apparently also coming to the US this year.

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Well, looks like we won't have to suffer with the 300 yen SD kits

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?BAN925305

A much better looking kit of Zapper is coming, include a feature not found on the action figure- his head mounted cannon from when he, Grappler and Destroyer tried to copy The Black Tri-Stars :p

Duke

I picked up a few sets of the SD Gundam Mini-Defender sets yesterday. I got the two Char's Counterattack sets with the two main ships as playsets (Forgot the actual name of the ships). I do wish that instead of two versions of the Neo Zaku that one of them was a Federation ship so that there could be 5 MS per playset, but oh well.

I also got 3 of the 6 Gundam Fight sets.

Set 1: Gundam Scimitar, MA Murphy (the Helicopter one), Shining Gundam (regular Mode), Spike/Tequila Gundam, MS Pescadore (The blue Aqua MS)

Set 2: Arachno Gundam, MS Butler, Gundam Rose, Gundam Maxter, MS Murphy (The transformed version of the Helicopter MS)

Set 3: Mummy Gundam XIII, Dragon Gundam, Grizzly Gundam, Mummy Gundam IV, Bolt Gundam

For those who have no idea what the Mini-Defenders are, they're 1" tall figures that have basically one pose & that's it, and are basically collectible and displayable. The figures this time are pretty decent, though some of the paint jobs suck.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts