"Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this movie!

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• I am Groot?

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
gotgvol2.jpg

"You only get one chance to save the galaxy twice"

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Release Date: May 5, 2016 (May 4 advance screenings)
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures, Marvel Studios
Directors: James Gunn
MPAA Rating: PG -13 (for sequences of sci-fi action and violence, language, and brief suggestive content)
Screenwriters: James Gunn
Starring: Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Michael Rooker, Karen Gillan Pom Klementieff, Kurt Russell, and Elizabeth Debicki

Plot Summary: Set to the backdrop of 'Awesome Mixtape #2,' Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 continues the team's adventures as they traverse the outer reaches of the cosmos. The Guardians must fight to keep their newfound family together as they unravel the mysteries of Peter Quill's true parentage. Old foes become new allies and fan-favorite characters from the classic comics will come to our heroes' aid as the Marvel Cinematic Universe continues to expand.

Discuss Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 right here!

Related Discussion:
-Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Pre-Release News and Discussion Thread
-Doctor Strange Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Guardians of the Galaxy Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Thor: The Dark World Feature (Spoilers)
-Marvel Cinematic Universe News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
We have now begun the official summer movie season and to start things off we're going with what is honestly the Marvel property that benefitted the most from the MCU, Guardians of the Galaxy. And yeah I know there were major bumps with Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Hulk, Avengers and many others because of the movies and associated licensing in terms of overall property but... just the fact that Marvel was considering making a Guardians movie gave the property a lot of attention. And the fact it was so well received and popular and profitable kind of cemented the brand as just a thing that generally existed in all forms of pop culture. 10 years ago... who would of known about the Guardians? I mean at least Iron man Captain America and others were characters who had shows and fairly sizeable fanbases outside of just comic book geeks but that is not true for Guardians. And honestly that popularity is well deserved too as yeah like everyone else I agree the movie is awesome. And though maybe the new cartoon or books featuring these characters aren't that great I am glad to see them continue to be successful. Of course what I look forward to more is the continued brand succession with the films. Yeah next year will be extra hype as the Guardians and Avengers team up but this year seeing another adventure from them got me pretty buzzed. Especially because this looks like it could break the streak. Since we've seen Marvel movies start off on top of the world like Iron Man and Avengers with super well loved by everyone first films and the follow up catching some meh reviews. And yeah Captain America's third movie I guess broke that streak as both Civil War and Winter Solider were the Russo Brothers but that wasn't the first Cap movie. Guardians so far has been piloted by James Gunn and he's going to do the third as well so is Gunn able to capture the magic that made the first so good in a way so many of his peers haven't been able to?

WARNING RATHER LONG SPOILER FILLED REVIEW AHEAD WHICH MARKING WITH SPOILERS TAG JUST TO MAKE SURE YOU DON'T SEE IT UNLESS YOU WANT THINGS ABOUT THE FILM SPOILED FOR YOU.

I don't think this is quite as good as the first since the action climax isn't as good as the first and doesn't really offer as much for everyone to do but otherwise this is a really solid ride.

Honestly I want to talk about the climax first because yeah that's probably my biggest problem overall with the movie. And it's not because it's a bad climax but... a lot of it was just space battle and shooting without a lot for the characters to do. Drax just saved Mantix while Gamora and Nebula saved themselves and really felt like they didn't contribute too much. I guess technically Nebula overcharging her arm took out the Sovereign's pods but that didn't really contribute to the actual battle at hand with Ego. Feels like Gunn couldn't really think of anything for them to particularly do once Mantis made Ego fall to sleep for awhile so just got them out of there in the main part of the climax and didn't feel like they really contributed which does feel like a step down from the first where you had major moments from everyone in the big ending battle. Also felt like you had more variety in that ending battle at here compared to the giant space ship destruction and setting up the bomb and yeah Peter and Ego fighting in the Celestial forms was actually really good. Honestly I wish the climax had more of that since yeah the stuff with Pac-Man appearing was really funny but there could of been more joke or contact bits made here especially as yeah this is the only time we're going to see Star Lord at his full potential so could of let loose some more. And yeah I know a Guardians climax is different then say An Avengers climax but it felt like the last movie had something to offer us more at the end then this one did, at least when it came to fighting and giving everyone their own story.

However that really is my biggest complaint here. There's a lot to like. For example, the handling of Yondu's death is by far the most emotional and meaningful in the entire MCU, at least in the movies. Because though I don't really complain as much at characters surviving since yeah it's based on the comics where no one really stays dead I do admit it is kind of annoying when they try and do an emotional fake out but then don't really go through with it. Even the first Guardians had that with Groot who yeah at least came back much differently (part of me wonders if they could of explored that more with Baby Groot wanting to be more like his adult self but... either Groot wasn't ever the most intelligent or verbal to get that across and I guess we needed some member of the team who didn't have a lot of drama attached to them) but they still had a sacrifice and then yeah came back later. And we've gotten that with Coulson (technically) and Nick Fury and Loki and Scott Lang that have moments where you think they bought it or show you them dying or having no way to survive but then come back anyway. And yeah there's been some deaths that stuck but... who cared that much about Yinsen, Quicksilver or even The Ancient One when they died? I think so far the most effective was Frigga but even then mostly due to the funeral and the impact she had on other characters, not just because of how we had really gotten to know her. The first movie did a good job of establishing Yondu and making him cool and his relationship with Peter but this one even despite them not spending much time together really explored the guy and why he took such interest in Quill and his shade of grey morality and feeling he's a screw up who constantly tries to get angry and push others away and yet most still get back and spending a good amount time bonding with Rocket over that. So when he sacrifices himself in a similar manner to how Peter nearly died trying to save Gamora in the first movie it's actually moving and really connects the theme of "family is not who you are born from but who you are connected to and actually cares regardless of what you are." And the impact it has and actually having that funeral that brought all those Ravagers together and Peter describing him as a father figure are some really well done emotional moments and honestly it would ruin the whole point of this movie if he was still alive. Which... I mean they burned his axphisliated body up anyway so I guess if someone is messing with space time he could come back but this seems like one of those things that will stick. I mean I remember it being mentioned Aaron Taylor Johnson had a deal to be in multiple movies in the MCU but only had the one so I'm guessing the talk of Yondu still being alive and being in the Avengers movie was just a rumor to try and stop the reveal in this one from slipping. If so kudos and Marvel is using their contracts and negoitations well to try and trick fans into thinking everyone is safe. And yeah I like Yondu and would want him to be alive but if they are going to kill him off they did it in a really solid way and bringing him back would cheapen the ending here which sort of relies on their being a consequence. Plus yeah... Yondu is a bit too OP for the regular Guardians with his super arrow trick. I mean it'd be funny in an Avengers movie if he and Hawkeye teamed up and his whistling just made him naturally mop up opponents in a snap but it works better having him die and having that death matter. So yeah I'm going to say he died. I mean this movie said that Glenn Close would be back from the first when she wasn't and that there wouldn't be a mention of Adam Warlock and there was so... Marvel aren't exactly the most trustful in that regard.

And there's other emotional moments that work as well. Actually building up Rocket through his conversations with Yondu on how despite being such a jerk constantly all the time he still has people who care about him and learning to be less selfish and more willing to own up to mistakes. Honestly that works as yeah Rocket felt connected to Groot through the others in the last one but this is his opening up much more to the general team and even shooting Gamora in the back to have the "I don't want to loose another friend" actually worked when normally it feels bull crap/annoying in other films. I also like how this one actually spent a lot of time on Nebula and Gamora's relationship to reveal just exactly why Nebula hates her sister and where so much of her bitterness and anger comes from. And actually feeling a connection between the two of them and why Nebula wants to kill Thanos so much and that's the path she'll take while Gamora is now a member of a team to try and do good. Of course that means they'll meet in Infinity War but it's good to show that connection here and actually expand it and actually flesh out Nebula some. Who worked as a threat with a sort of core in the first but yeah really feels like more of a characters whose bitterness and hatred and annoyance are a nice contrast to Gamora trying to be less bitter and more open. Also though maybe it could of been played up a bit more the connection between Drax and Mantis and how Mantis grew to actually trust and connect with Drax actually feeling his emotions run deep and the two having a bond and him telling to her "when you're ugly people love and like you for who you are not just what you look like" which is honestly more depth then I think we got from the character in the first film and really shows how he isn't just the "oh he just says what is on his mind cause he's stupid" and yeah there's a lot of that but not only is it usually funny but again that's not just the entire character. I'm also glad that we're still not doing full on Gamora/Starlord as yeah I guess she does like him but there is an actual arc to the relationship and they're still more at the friend level so it's something that's build up. Which is more then you really say of any other MCU romance since even if it's there the relationship means more then attraction like her wanting him to try and connect to his father and Peter annoyed how she has such issues opening up even when he's trying to form new connections.

And honestly the story is also fairly well thought out. I admit I thought Ayesha was going to be more the big bad of this one but no it's more that she wants to get the Guardians because Rocket stole from her and lied about it and that going against the will of her people and having this personal vendetta as it goes against the Sovereign character core and thus pursuing them but not just being malice would be conqueror types but just having an arrogant attitude and obviously being set up for stuff in the future. With them in the end hinting at making Adam Warlock who yeah is going to probably be a big deal in Guardians 3 which I'm cool with as Gunn knew better then to jam this full of too many characters as that would be distracting. As heck even the other Ravagers popping up at the end showing their support really gives an example of Yondu's sacrifice and the message about family this movie was going for. And I actually like how this hints at their being a team up of the original Guardians of the Galaxy. I admit I only knew that Stallone was playing Star Hawk since it gives his more regular name in the credits and looking up what that meant showed Starhawk but I actually know that there was an original team... granted because I'm a fan of the Sonic Archie books which back in 2001 did a Guardians of the Galaxy parody using a team mostly comprised of the original GotG so when the credits said Ving Rhames was playing Charle 27 I knew who that is. And honestly if they are going to do that will be pretty cool as I really liked the look of that group here and Starhawk's "let's steal some (beep)" line so seeing them as a team would be cool. Plus I also like how this handled Ego. Granted you really only see him as a giant planet for two seconds but I just needed the shot of that as I actually like how they tried giving the main villain some complexitity. Granted the "I couldn't really get into emotional love for fear of my plan so cut ties and gave your mother cancer so I wouldn't be tempted to fall for her again" kind of makes you loose sense of sympathy for the guy but I really did buy he at least wanted a connection with Peter and felt that as an Eternal him being bored or annoyed by the galaxy makes sense as motivation. And he isn't giving super grandiose speeches about it trying to talk about destruction and corruption and blah blah blah like say Apocalypse was in his movie and more "I'm just a better creature and would make for a better universe." But actually building him up being fairly charming and his banter with Quill and dependency on the planet and it's core was good. And honestly having that as a weakness makes sense why someone like the Guardians would fight and beat him besides his relationship to Quill and yeah revealing why Quill was special last time but now being fully human and being okay with that was a good arc. It was a major question answered and you gave time to the bond shared to actually have that relationship and ending fight meaningful. And yeah even if it could of been better the whole clash of the Celestial Ego and Peter fighting was still well done and most of the other action beats worked from Gamora cleaving that giant creature, Drax getting out of the ship to fire at the Sovereign's video game ships to how Rocket planeted all those traps to take out the Ravager to that awesome scene of Yondu whistling as his arrow head takes out nearly everyone on the ship to make Taserface explode to Gamora and Nebula's little tussle to the last dog fight with the Sovereign's forces. Again just because I wish there was a longer or more expanded on ending battle doesn't mean the other battles were lacking.

And yeah like the last one there were a lot of great jokes. Rocket working on a surround system in the middle of the battle when Drax and even Quill say it's a bad idea, Baby Groot dancing around to the credits with the big action scene going on behind them, Quill and Gamora pointing out Drax's "try and slice up the creature's inside" plan is stupid as he's just as hard inside as he is outside, Quill trying to flirt with Ayesha saying he's show her proper human mating for scientific purposes, Drax and Rocket laughing about Rocket stealing some of the batteries, Nebula wanting this fruit when she was held captive and constantly being told it wasn't ripe yet when trying to eat it (I think it would of been funnier if she didn't say it was ripe for a proper zinger as you didn't need to spell out that joke but a really minor nitpick on that honestly), the reveal that since the Sovereign's forces don't personally go out themselves into battle they are all flying ships like in a video game and their disappointment or joy whenever they're fighting in their virtual ships, Rocket trying to point out a tiny man he saw destroyed the ships and it probably being larger when it was actually seen and Quill pointing out that's how vision normally works, Quill saying panda face is a much worse nick name then Raccoon to tick off Rocket, Quill saying he could drive the ship with his junk if given the chance, Howard the Duck doing a "want to try your luck with a duck" pick up line to a random bar whore, Ayesha having this carpet behind her when walking and it being stopped for a second due to this "holer then thou" look she was trying to give before offering the deal, Peter pointing out he always imagined his dad to be David Hasselssoff and talking about Knight Rider and saying he only told Gamora that when he was drunk, "why are you bringing so much stuff with you?" "I don't want Rocket taking it while I'm gone", Rocket beating up two of the Ravagers easily, the extension of the empathy scene with Mantis explaining she doesn't have psychic powers and her antenna aren't for entering in doorways to see if a guillotine would come down and cut her head like Drax said or laughing hard when he was laughing, Rocket insulting Taser Face and asking why he chose that for a name and how utterly stupid and not symbolic it really is, Drax asking if Ego had a *enis and pointing out how his own parents mating ritual was a story constantly told to him, Ego calling himself God with a lower case g, Baby Groot being abused as a mascot, Baby Groot getting all that stuff including a table and a creature (which is an old joke but executed well is funny and that was well executed), Taser Face telling his name to one of Ayesha's forces and even her chuckling about it, Rocket super warping 50 times when usually seven is typically recommended, the Stan Lee came of him talking to the Watchers (heh guess that deconfirms that theory) and talking about his Fantastic Four cameo (since he said working in a mail room and I guess like with Deadpool if you are vague enough about it you can mention other marvel movies even if they aren't owned by you), Peter pointing out Gamora is acting a terrible sitcom no one would see about hiding your feeling that wouldn't get any viewers, Gamora's "oh come on" when Nebula tries fighting her and Nebula being happy over her first victory, Drax telling Mantis she is ugly and later her saying she isn't physically into him at all, the guy trying to warn Yondu about Ayesha's forces literally two seconds before they swarmed them, Quill actually being heard going around and asking others for tape and lying about asking Nebula (the previews gave some of that joke away but glad there was much more of it), Peter mocking Yondu by calling him Mary Poppins and making it sound like a cool thing when Yondu doesn't know what that is, Yondu's final gift to Peter being a zune which is said to be how all people hear music now, and some of the ending easter eggs like moody teenage Groot or that guy practicing with the arrow and piercing Drax or the Watchers not giving Stan Lee a lift home.

So yeah a really solid enjoyable movie. I think the climax not being as team focused or as interesting as the last movie took away a bit for me but a lot of good drama and character interactions (and since they have history them exploding on one another makes sense and what they're talking about feels real so this isn't the cheesy faux drama say Suicide Squad tried and didn't really work there) some good fights and yeah a lot of great humor. Just a really solid awesome way of kicking out the summer movie season.

the greenman

I enjoyed it. Hit the same beats as the first, but that can get old real fast. . . which it did. It seems this film may be a little more personal. Alot of heart in this one. I like the set up to old school Guardians in the sequel, and quite possibly Nebula showing her hand (no pun intended) as the one who might usurp daddy.

Btw, some of those After cred scenes have interesting stuff, even the credits themselves. Pay attention.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
So this film isn't as good as the first (which isn't a slight, the first one is great) but I still had a very fun time.

Gunn really gets these characters. He gives most of them character beats and character arcs, and most importantly, gets us invested in them. I mean...when these characters call themselves family, you believe them. They have serious chemistry.

Almost all the characters are likable in some ways. Rocket is still fun as ever, Star-Lord gets some more depth beyond cocky and witty.

But it's Yondu who almost steals the film. Wow. He not only gets the best action scene in the film, but also the most emotional!

Which, major kudos to Gunn. Amidst all the screwball humor, he really does craft some genuinely tender and heartfelt scenes, some of the best in the MCU. The theme of family (no offense Fast and Furious) is done right here, only occasionally almost reaching cheesy levels.

The climax of the film is very well done, even though I'm sure it'll get flack from some people for being too explosive. But it was exciting, and emotional, and Pac-Man!

The final scene of the film was impressive. Unlike Thor 2, the funeral was handled with dignity, and Gunn didnt wreck the mood with a cheap joke. In fact, it was the most somber ending to an MCU film yet except maybe the first Captain America.

Sadly, the film falters in the humor department. The first film's humor felt effortless, but this one felt try-hard at times. The humor is more hit or miss; what works does, and what doesn't...welp. Mostly Drax scenes, which can either be too immature, or just mean-spirited (poor Mantis).

Speaking of, Mantis felt...underused? Hopefully she gets more to do later.

Ego is one of the better MCU villains. I mean...he's brutal, killing all his kids (and even Meredith!). Taserface was a joke - but his final scene was hilarious. Ayesha was interesting, but I'm more intrigued by her after-credits scene.

Overall, the first film is better because it's more consistent (it's good throughout, and funnier), BUT I think this film, at it's very best, is better. But at it's worst, it certainly worse. But man, it was fun.

the greenman

What I don't get is that why does Groot has all of the merchandise and tie-ins if Groot shared EQUAL screen time by the other Guardians?
Not to make light of your ignorance, but it's ALL about making $$$$$$$$$$. The only reason why they (Disney) allowed a Cars trilogy is the same. As the great Yogurt said, it's where the real money from the movie is made.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Not to make light of your ignorance, but it's ALL about making $$$$$$$$$$. The only reason why they (Disney) allowed a Cars trilogy is the same. As the great Yogurt said, it's where the real money from the movie is made.
It also helps that Groot is the cute character that can easily appeal to people of all ages and genders.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I was a little surprised there wasn't a Spider-Man movie but it made sense 3/4 were space-based -- Last Jedi, Thor Ragnarok and Valerian. Everyone groaned at the other trailer, The Wall. Also dug they had the Defenders trailer before the movie previews started, looked even cooler on the big screen.

Yeah, they did a great job of making Ego a three dimensional villain and not the mustache twirler -- there was no outright malice in his voice about killing his past kids or putting the tumor in Meredith, it was justified in his mind. But blowing up a god definitely gave the Guardians some street cred. One nitpick I thought of as he explained his plan, he's pretty lucky on all those planets he seeded -- not one bulldozed the land and built something where he planted his essence.

The Sovereign. They were amusing down to their '2 bit video game' set up for their ships and dissing each other like people in an arcade room and also laughing at Taserface. lmao. That bit were the blue carpet got stuck in the snow cracked me up. And well, the one end credit teaser gave us what many have wanted since mistaking the cocoon in Vol. 1 for. I guess he and Ayesha will be the big bads for Vol 3.

Ravagers. Pretty cool to get a peek more into their culture. 100 er... 99 factions. Some of the other captains. His old crew being the OG Guardians. That's a lot more than I thought. I agree Yondu stole the movie. Dug he got included in Peter's flashbacks. Loved the funeral.

Another nitpick, I'd agree on was the Guardians were all paired off in the final battle and didn't save the day together like they did in the first one but it got written into a corner so to speak that only Groot could do it. Yeah, the Peter vs. Ego battle could have been a little longer, maybe not. Pac Man was still dope. I wonder if Gunn went through a list of ideas on what Peter would form. I thought though, it was a nice bonus that Gamora and Nebula seemed to have patch things up. And add Nebula to the list of people out to kill Thanos -- interesting reveal that she's trying to make a ton of money to buy herself an armada to fight him with.

All those celeb cameos were dope. Nice seeing Howard the Duck again. The old Guardians.

On the Stan Lee cameo, I bet some are going to nitpick it. Cause his FedEx cameo took place in 2016 but this sequel takes place back in 2014. Y'know, Stan Lee in a old school space suit talking to Watchers at the edge of the galaxy they can get past but...

I guess my favorite teaser was Kraglin and Drax. I laughed the longest on that one. heh.

the greenman

On the Stan Lee cameo, I bet some are going to nitpick it. Cause his FedEx cameo took place in 2016 but this sequel takes place back in 2014. Y'know, Stan Lee in a old school space suit talking to Watchers at the edge of the galaxy they can get past but...

I guess my favorite teaser was Kraglin and Drax. I laughed the longest on that one. heh.

The thing surprising about that is the very real fact Marvel was allowed to use them, as they're owned by FOX as well as Ego. We know about Ego happening, but what of them? Hmmmmm.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The thing surprising about that is the very real fact Marvel was allowed to use them, as they're owned by FOX as well as Ego. We know about Ego happening, but what of them? Hmmmmm.
They were probably part of the same deal they made to use Ego.

the greenman

Why didn't they reveal that before? Besides, Ego by all rights should have belonged to MARVEL anyway as he premiered in a Thor comic. The Watchers, specifically premiered in Fantastic Four. Yeah, maybe they just wanted to leave some surprise for the fanboys.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Well, yeah, it was a surprise cameo. Nothing else to it. I'm sure Gunn will talk about their cameo soon enough.

Last edited:

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter

Apparently, Fox only has the rights to Uatu the Watchers are their own thing like Inhumans or Black Panther.

Comic Rights are stupid I think Major Victory didn't show up because they revealed his backstory in a Fantastic Four comic. Which sucks because I think he's a pretty underrated Avenger.

hobbyfan

Apparently, Fox only has the rights to Uatu the Watchers are their own thing like Inhumans or Black Panther.

Comic Rights are stupid I think Major Victory didn't show up because they revealed his backstory in a Fantastic Four comic. Which sucks because I think he's a pretty underrated Avenger.

By Major Victory, I take it you mean Vance Astro, who was an original Guardian, like Charlie 27, Martinex, Starhawk (both the male & female halves) and.......Yondu.

Those original Guardians, mind you, turn 50 next year, while the current incarnation of the Guardians team turns 10. I think Gunn realized enough peeps knew who Yondu was, so we get the rest of them in a sequel.

OMG: Stallone is the male Starhawk? I'd stick that mug on a CGI Watcher instead.

Quite the thrill ride. Still shipping Peter & Gamora, but now Drax & Mantis??

Speaking of Drax, the original concept was that he was a human who lost his family (daughter became Moondragon), and was transformed into a killing machine. Here, he's got some personality (Can someone cast Dave Bautista in a comedy?), although he might still be a bit slow on the uptake.

AnotherRandomGuy

The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away
I'll be honest, comic movies as a whole have kinda lost their luster on me a bit, but darnit if Guardians didn't find a way to squeeze into my heart.

Everything about it had a sense of joy surrounding it that is not a thing to have around these days, and I can gladly say not a single character was wasted, not even the villain who are typically the weakest link in any given Marvel movie.

I really really hope the upcoming Wonder Woman can be just as good, if not better than this, because I want to be excited for these kinds of movies again

Sidenote: Really wasn't expecting to see Howard the Duck again, but I welcome it.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Thinking of the Zune scene still cracks me up. Triangle-faced monkey is a close second.

I have to admit Rocket is now my fave character. His scene in the forest and the dropping bodies from the trailer was perfect.
Yeah, all those traps then fighting those two Ravagers was pretty awesome.

Egon1982

Fantastic sequel! nearly surpasses the original and Ego is nicely performed by Russell and i like how Stallone was used in this movie as it's like Tango and Cash went their own separate ways in space, LOL.

Emotional ending and who else loved Howard the Duck's cameo? hopefully they do a spin-off show.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I went to see it today and I really enjoyed myself though I do prefer the first one. There were parts that kind of dragged for me in parts here while the first one bounced at the same energy throughout. I sometimes hear people kind of dismiss Guardians as a comedy act but the emotional bits really hit me during the first movie, and the same thing happened here. I found myself getting a little misty eyed during certain scenes, and the emotions I feel during a movie are always part of what makes it a lasting movie experience for me, so I think it was a job well done on that front. They got me to love Yondu with this one. I was really puzzled as to why and how they'd make Ego Starlord's father but they did such a good job with that. As I think of it, the movie was like really rough, cosmic family therapy and I loved that.

I was kind of stunned when I saw that big old Uatu face on screen. I don't think anyone around me had a similar reaction though. I'd forgotten Sly was going to be in this, and I kind of expected he'd be some random space weirdo but he seemed very believably badass as a ravager. Seeing him interact with Yondu definitely gave me some Cliffhanger flashbacks. As a kid, I would have loved to have seen Sly and Kurt Russell in Marvel movies, but I never could have predicted the roles they'd get. After the movie, I had a little fun trying to explain Adam Warlock and the best I could really do was Space Vision.

Quite the thrill ride. Still shipping Peter & Gamora, but now Drax & Mantis??
We were discussing Drax/Mantis after the movie, and someone else thought potential couple while my first thought was surrogate daughter. Either way it goes, it's always nice to see a guy like Drax let someone in after becoming the cold murder machine that he became after losing his family.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts